Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/10/2005 11:33:09 AM EDT
Well I am thinking of using this receiver for my first build.  They do pretty much all the work right:)  I am just assemblying it.    Maybe I will powder coat it.

http://www.globaltrades.com/new16mmreceivers.html

Thanks
Ralph
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The 1.0 mm Receiver will be pretty much drop in and Global Trades has a positive reputation with builders...  This is pretty much a standard AK receiver for stamped kits.

The 1.6mm is strong as hell but it will require mods to your front and rear trunion.  

I have not built using either of these yet but when I get a chance I plan to buy a few of the Global Trades 1.0mm receivers for my SBR builds as Global Trades has custom options to move the serial number to the bottom of the receiver as well as a serial number that matches your parts kit.

Just the same, I have yet to use one but if you look at any of the forums much you will see builds done on these and they look great and I have heard few problems.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
On the other forum I seen you are renting a jig.  Can you tell me how much more work it is to band up your own reciever rather than just buy a global trades unit?  

Thanks
Ralph
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Some other receiver companies do not alter the inside dimensions, only the external dimensions change.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#4]
+1  What Quarterbore said

The 1.6mm GT receiver creates problems and does not solve any.  They chose to take the 1.2mm (.6mm times 2) from the inside dimensions of the receiver.  So now it doesn’t fit any stock trunnion.  The standard 1mm receiver is the answer.

Also, there have been a lot of AKs built on flats.  I even goobered one together, and it works anyway.  So I am not knocking anyone who goes this route.  But, IMHO, if you want a receiver built on a flat, just buy a Ewbanks receiver and save yourself a lot of time and money.  Even though there is a lot of bad blood out there regarding Joeken, the Ewbanks receiver is the most cost effective solution.  It is also a very good receiver.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I just bought 2 Ak47 Rom kits from AIMS.  So I just want to buy something that goes together.  The fact that global will match my serial #'s is very nice option to me.  If I buy a global unit in the proper size,  besides finish and rivets what else is there?  Will I have to fiddle to get things to fit?  Will I need to drill anymore wholes?  Sorry for the questions.  Since this is my first build I want it to be as basic as possible.

Thanks
Ralph
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Ralph,

To answer your question, yes. There is no receiver out there that is a direct "drop in" unit for AK47 kits. You will probably need to drill the holes for the trunions. Getting a pre-drilled receiver does NOT mean the holes in it will match your trunions.

As with any type of build, a certain amount of fitting will be needed no matter what. This build will not be a matter of just slapping parts on a receiver. You will also need to get US manefactured parts in order to make your build legal.  Dale Simpson was nice enough to give me this list of parts you can change:

The 16 countable parts in a AK with a muzzle device. No more than 10 of these parts may be imported.

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Trunnion
(4) Muzzle attachments
(5) Bolt
(6) Bolt carrier
(7) Gas piston
(8) Trigger
(9) Hammer
(10) Disconnecter
(11) Buttstock
(12) Pistol grip
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Follower
(16) Floorplate

Bending a flat up properly takes a little bit of metal work ability as well as the jig in order to keep everything straight. I thought I could use a sheet metal break before I started, but even using a bender can result in a crooked bend. Metal moves and stretches when it is bent, and the strips of metal around the magazine well and trigger hole are so thin bending it accurately with a break is very hard to do. It isn't impossible, but like I said a basic understanding of how metal reacts to stress and how to use that in your advantage is a huge help.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there any good newbie FAQ out there?  A step by step.

Thanks
Ralph
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just bought 2 Ak47 Rom kits from AIMS.  So I just want to buy something that goes together.  The fact that global will match my serial #'s is very nice option to me.  If I buy a global unit in the proper size,  besides finish and rivets what else is there?  Will I have to fiddle to get things to fit?  Will I need to drill anymore wholes?  Sorry for the questions.  Since this is my first build I want it to be as basic as possible.

Thanks
Ralph

You also need tools to get the rivets out, pull and reinstall the barrel, install rivets (or screws if you like), fit (fiddle) and finish.  If you don't already have a Dremel tool, that is a good place to start.  I would not build without one.  

Building your first AK will not be easy, but when you are done, you will have something that all the wanabe's and armchair builders only dream of.

Oh, and if you get discouraged, check out this link.  http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13911  
It describes the work of a courageous but humble young builder.  It has, IMO, photos of the most beautiful AK ever posted.  Not because it is a work of art, but because it is a work of character.  It is titled:  How not to do an AK (aka: how I did my first).
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
On the other forum I seen you are renting a jig.  Can you tell me how much more work it is to band up your own reciever rather than just buy a global trades unit?  

Thanks
Ralph

As long as you have a press using a jig is easy!...

You can buy a press for about $110 or so and trust me having a press is GREAT for building AKs and lots of othertasks once you have it...

As far as what is involved with a bend-it-yourself flat...  it is easy but does require a few more steps.

Steps:

1.  Bolt the flat into the jig
2.  Grease the Flat
3.  Bend the Flat
4.  Remove the flat
5.  Trim front of new flat to fit the front trunion (often needed with 100% receivers too)
6.  Trim rear of receiver for rear tunion (often needed with 100% receivers too)
7.  Trim receiver forward of rear trunion to allow the bolt/carrier to be dropped into receiver.
8.  Rivet or screw in trigger guard
9.  Set location of front trunion based on magazine fit to trigger guard and rivet or screw it in place.
10.  Spot weld or screw lower rails into the receiver.
11.  Rivet or Srew fasten the rear trunion
12.  Rivet or Screw in the center support.
13.  Install barrel and check headspace.
14.  Add FCG and go shooting

Now... this is a simplified look and list and I know in some of my builds I have done things differently but this is the steps I have done with my curent build I am doing...  I am working on full photos and text of the process but I have just been way too busy in the rest of my work and family life to get the pics and text put together....

Yes, I am still renting out the jig and I just started rotation of a new DPH jig...
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top