Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/2/2005 9:27:23 AM EDT
Thers is no need to tack this as I have hundreds of additional photos I need to get cleaned up...  I have been promising this for quite some time so today I started working on the page...  It will take me quite a bit of time to get this finished but when done the pages will live on my website with enough text and navigation to allow this to be useful.  

Just the same, here is what I have to help keep me motivated to finish this project...

Part 1:  Preparing a Kit for a build

quarterbore.com/images/amdbuild1/

Includes pulling the barrel pin, the barrel, removing the rivets...

Part 2:  Bending a flat using a DPH bending jig

quarterbore.com/images/amdbuild2/

Part 3:  Fitting the receiver for the Front and Rear Trunions

quarterbore.com/images/amdbuild3/

Part 4:  Trigger Guard and Front Trunion rivets

quarterbore.com/images/amdbuild4/

Part 5:  Spotwelding the lower rails

quarterbore.com/images/amdbuild5/

Part 6:  Heat Treating the receiver and ejector

quarterbore.com/images/amdbuild6/
Note:  Each of the "red" heating were quenched...  I just didn't include all the pics of the receiver going swimming!  After the receiver was cleaned up and then reheated to "blue" the receiver was not quenched but instead was allowed to air cool.

Part 7:  Pressing in the barrel and Headspacing

quarterbore.com/images/amdbuild7/

Note - I believe this is where I stopped taking photos...  After these steps I used the dust cover to help me find the proper location for the rear trunion.  I marked the top rail for the location of the rear trunion and then used the "Tape Trick" to help locate the rear trunion holes.  The rear rivets were installed and I installed my center support.

When I installed my center support and riveted the receiver to the rear trunion my bolt carrier no longer moved freely (this was expected).  So, last night I carefully took a dremel and a variety of files to get my upper rails trimmed for my Bolt and Carrier to move freely.  I also needed to remove just a little material from my ejector (perhaps 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch).  I need to get pics of the final receiver...  I also did not get photos of the silver soldering of the barrel extension and muzzle break.  I will add narative to that process as I finish this project.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Excellent!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Great work. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Very, very helpful.  What size and length Grade 8 bolts did you use?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Good Stuff,  Tagg for reference.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Very, very helpful.  What size and length Grade 8 bolts did you use?

I have a collection of them...  Shortest is probably 1/2-inch but I have about four or five sizes upto about 3-inches.  They are cheap and it is better to have a couple extras then not enough...

I am trying to get more of my photos cleaned up so I can start working on the rest of the text...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Great!

SRM
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Soooo TAGGED!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]
QB you are the greatest. Thanks. All the old how-to's around this place have dead links and pics that don't work.  Thanks again.

Kevin
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:31:18 AM EDT
[#11]
+1000

great..  as usual
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#12]
reference tag
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#13]
wow, this is an awsome post.  thanks for all the detailed photos

I am amazed at how clean you are able to maintain your work space during the build.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top