Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2008 10:05:56 AM EDT
I want a decent red dot sight that is paralax free, clear small dot, and keeps zero, but I don't want to spend $300.  What are my options?  I was thinking about a BSA RMDS:

Any ideas?  As much as I'd love to splurge on an EOtech or an AimPoint, I don't have that kind of money to spend.
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#1]
In the long you, you would most likely be best served by buying quality.  Set aside a little month each month until you can get that eotech or aimpoint.

There are many of us that have broken a cheap red dot before they finally went and bought quality.
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
In the long you, you would most likely be best served by buying quality.  Set aside a little month each month until you can get that eotech or aimpoint.

There are many of us that have broken a cheap red dot before they finally went and bought quality.

Thanks for the advice.  Now let me rephrase the question.  While I'm saving up, what is a good budget red dot for me to use temporarily until I can afford to be snobby about my optics?
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a few of the cheap $50 multi reticle red dot's. I hve one on an AK, one on a A3 carbine, and one on a DPMS 16" AP4. The one on the AKM has been on there for two years with many thousands of rounds run past it, hasn't failed once. The one I have on the A3 Carbine is an Aimpoint clone, it has also handled thousands of rounds without a glitch. I had a BSA and an NCstar that were bad from the factory and both were replaced with new ones. I think if you have to use it everyday to protect your life you should buy the best, if not try a cheap one, you'll only be out $50 or so if you don't like it, or send it back.
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a few of the cheap $50 multi reticle red dot's. I hve one on an AK, one on a A3 carbine, and one on a DPMS 16" AP4. The one on the AKM has been on there for two years with many thousands of rounds run past it, hasn't failed once. The one I have on the A3 Carbine is an Aimpoint clone, it has also handled thousands of rounds without a glitch. I had a BSA and an NCstar that were bad from the factory and both were replaced with new ones. I think if you have to use it everyday to protect your life you should buy the best, if not try a cheap one, you'll only be out $50 or so if you don't like it, or send it back.

That is entirely impossible. Everyone knows the only two reflex sights that work ever are Aimpoints and EOtechs. Everything else will melt and explode after you fire one round through your rifle.
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is entirely impossible. Everyone knows the only two reflex sights that work ever are Aimpoints and EOtechs. Everything else will melt and explode after you fire one round through your rifle.

I like the aimpoint clones, have a couple and no complaints.
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the tasco propoint aimpoint style and I'm happy
Link Posted: 3/15/2008 5:58:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/15/2008 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Assuming for AK, the bigger carrier will eat cheap scopes that live on ARs. 150-200 gets you a durable Kobra, PK-01, PK-A

Or comb EE for sandbox bringbacks

I've been considering getting the Russian version of the aimpoint, because it's designed specifically for the AK, but even that is a little more money than I really want to spend.  I think I'll probably end up saving up and getting the russian optic, but for the time being I just want something in the $50 range just to get me by until I can save up $150 or $200 for a decent russian optic.

Link Posted: 3/15/2008 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The SPOT MK III are good red dot scopes; They run about $160.  I have had another aimpoint clone that I got from Hong Kong off ebay for about $60. . It lasted only four months so I would avoid those.
Link Posted: 3/15/2008 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm looking forward to the Vortex StrikeFire. 2000+ hours of battery life and night vision compatibility for under $150.

hopefully someone here will review one when they're available.
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The SPOT MK III are good red dot scopes; They run about $160.

That's been my choice for trainer/fun gun optics for several years now. I've used SPOTs on all kinds of platforms and they've all held up well, with surprisingly good battery life.

Link Posted: 3/16/2008 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
The SPOT MK III are good red dot scopes; They run about $160.

That's been my choice for trainer/fun gun optics for several years now. I've used SPOTs on all kinds of platforms and they've all held up well, with surprisingly good battery life.

www.photobucket.com/albums/i188/shooter521/misc%20guns/AKmount2.jpg

Found that one online for $129... http://www.swfa.com/pc-12783-2214-new-vortex-1x30-strikefire-red-dot-30mm-sight.aspx

It looks like a nice rig, but how positive are the user buttons?  I liked a "click" of the older style dial a brightness option better myself.
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I like my BSA red dot.
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Burris XTS-135 SpeedDot
www.burrisoptics.com/xts135.html

Link Posted: 3/16/2008 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm looking forward to the Vortex StrikeFire. 2000+ hours of battery life and night vision compatibility for under $150.

\

That's a huge +1. I will certainly be purchasing one of those when they come out. Not to mention their warranty.

I have a Clonepoint and it works great. Battery life sucks. But if it were to break, I'm out a few bones. The Vortex seems great, and I know the company is going to stand behind it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 4:32:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That looks awesome!  Still, for only $40 or $50 more I could get a real russian optic that I know will stand up to the AK.  It's a tough call.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 4:35:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm thinking about trying one of these forward mounted ...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=435538
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Bad pic, but heres a Tasco propoint

Link Posted: 3/17/2008 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That looks awesome!  Still, for only $40 or $50 more I could get a real russian optic that I know will stand up to the AK.  It's a tough call.

A real Russian won't have the battery life or the warranty Vortex does. If you look at the specs for the Strikefire, I doubt it would have a hard time handling AK recoil.

ETA: Wow, I don't even own one yet and I'm already selling the Kool-Aid! I should calm down.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 4:12:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about trying one of these forward mounted ...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=435538

I've been thinking about getting one of those, but I don't know which ones are good and which ones aren't.  I don't want to spend $400 on a Doctor, but I don't want to get a $50 knock-off that can't handle AK recoil.

Anybody know of a good brand of these mini-holographic sights that costs less than $150?
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 4:16:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=326894

So this one can hold up to a 7.62x39 recoil without losing zero?  If so, I think I've found the sight I want, thank you!
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Assuming for AK, the bigger carrier will eat cheap scopes that live on ARs. 150-200 gets you a durable Kobra, PK-01, PK-A

Reciprocating mass of AK and AR is pretty darn close, and only differ by 40 grams. See pics below.

As for the OPs question, I've been in that spot. Save the $50 you'd blow on a crap optic. Learn you iron sights while you build you optic fund. Cruise the EE and score a used Ruski optic like a PK-23, Kobra, or PK-01. If you don't find one when you have $150 you can get a Russian optic new. Real Russian optics will be much more durable than Chinese low-bid Klones. BSW

508grams for AK

468grams for AR
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reciprocating mass of AK and AR is pretty darn close, and only differ by 40 grams. See pics below.

As for the OPs question, I've been in that spot. Save the $50 you'd blow on a crap optic. Learn you iron sights while you build you optic fund. Cruise the EE and score a used Ruski optic like a PK-23, Kobra, or PK-01. If you don't find one when you have $150 you can get a Russian optic new. Real Russian optics will be much more durable than Chinese low-bid Klones. BSW

508grams for AK
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/AKrecipparts.jpg

468grams for AR
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/ARrecipparts.jpg

This seems like really good advice (or maybe you're just telling me what I want to hear, so it's sounding like good advice to me )

So I think I'll do that.  I'll practice and try to get really good with my iron sights while I save up $150 or $200 for either a good quality Russian optic that was made for the AK, or a Bushnell HoloSight, since it's the same thing as an EOtech, but you can find them on ebay for 2-300 instead of paying EOtech prices.

Thank you all for your advice, I think I'll have to raise my expectations from $50, but it looks like there are some decent red dot options that don't cost $400+.
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Update: The LR.308 AP4 ate the cheap BSA 4 reticle holo sight for lunch. It lasted about 20rnds and the glass blew out. I'll glue it back in and use it on an AK. A friend of mine bought an Aimpoint, I'm not sure the model number, but he left it on for 6 weeks accidentaly and when we got to the range the other day it was still lit, I was suprised.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#28]
height=8
Quoted:

Big +1.  I love my PK-AV from Avtomats in Action!.
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I have found Russian optics to be hit and miss. Had one Kobra that worked OK and another that failed. Then there is little warranty support. To be honest I would just double my saving $ period and get a real Aimpoint or Eotech. So I spent $400 bucks and still ened up with one scope only worth $200. I should have just spent the $400 to get one good scope.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#30]
The answer is there is no such thing as a decent $50 red dot unless you're outfitting a Ruger 10/22 or something.

Spend a bit more, spend once, shoot for a lifetime.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:24:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

508grams for AK
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/AKrecipparts.jpg

468grams for AR
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/ARrecipparts.jpg

you really should add the buffer to the AR weight too.

I'm also looking for SPOT-priced scopes.

it's for a range-toy 9mm so don't need mil-sepc.

SPOT review thread anywhere?
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I hate to sound so uninformed, but what does SPOT mean?
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I hate to sound so uninformed, but what does SPOT mean?

Superior Precision Optical Technology

My review:
home.comcast.net/~shooter2_indy/argear.html#spot
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#34]

you really should add the buffer to the AR weight too.

Call me crazy, but that REALLY looks like a buffer sitting on the scale along with the bolt assembly?

I might add, however, that the AR assembly might be about fifteen grams lighter if you cleaned it!

Link Posted: 4/6/2008 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#35]
My Marlin Camp 45 with an extra power 16# recoil spring ate a BSA red dot in about 110 rounds.  (I got it for free so it was just inconvenient.)  I've since put a Bushnell Trophy red dot on the Marlin and it works well.  I have a second one on an M1 Carbine on an Ultimak.  I have the model with 4 selectable reticles; I leave it on one reticle b/c I don't want the zero to shift.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#36]
for the price of a s.p.o.t you can buy a pk-01... actually you can get it cheaper... and it comes with the side rail and rings.....

Eastwave and tantal usually has them for a tad cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Just get an old Aimpoint ML2 and an Ultimak.  It will only hurt once and will be good to go long after you die or get rid of the weapon.  

Save up the money and buy an Aimpoint an an Ultimak.  Don't go cheap first and then expensive it will cost more in the long run.  

I recommend either an Aimpoint or a 4x PSO-1 scope.  Aimpoint and Ultimak lets you cowitness the red dot to the iron sights.  Attaching a PSO-1 scope to the side scope mount allowes both options on one AK.

Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#38]
i've been running an adco tactical on my training ar.  about 5k rounds now and not so gentle treatment.  about $150 or so with a cantilever mount.  looks a bit like the aimpoint.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So this one can hold up to a 7.62x39 recoil without losing zero?  If so, I think I've found the sight I want, thank you!

That same sight is sold by two or three different importers...you can get it from Cheaper than Dirt for about $65.

B
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Just get an old Aimpoint ML2 and an Ultimak.  It will only hurt once and will be good to go long after you die or get rid of the weapon.  

Save up the money and buy an Aimpoint an an Ultimak.  Don't go cheap first and then expensive it will cost more in the long run.  

I recommend either an Aimpoint or a 4x PSO-1 scope.  Aimpoint and Ultimak lets you cowitness the red dot to the iron sights.  Attaching a PSO-1 scope to the side scope mount allowes both options on one AK.

i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/redguardrm/b2682c00.jpg
i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/redguardrm/dot1.jpg
i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/redguardrm/dot2.jpg

What 30mm ring is that?  I'm doing the same thing with an ML3 and am considering a LaRue RAS II low mount.

This is a go-to gun, and I don't do cheap when it comes to my ass or his.
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/redguardrm/b2682c00.jpg
i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/redguardrm/dot1.jpg
i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/redguardrm/dot2.jpg

What 30mm ring is that?  I'm doing the same thing with an ML3 and am considering a LaRue RAS II low mount.

This is a go-to gun, and I don't do cheap when it comes to my ass or his.
I believe it is a Aimpoint low mount.  Any low mount should work.  Not sure about the Larue you should call Ultimak first.
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Pick up a BP02 and an Aimpoint for your AK's.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That same sight is sold by two or three different importers...you can get it from Cheaper than Dirt for about $65.

B

I don't think it's the same exact unit. Look at the reviews on cheaperthandirt then look at the reviews on the version here on AR15.com. Very different.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top