Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2008 6:27:06 AM EDT
Got the brake today. Haven't tried it yet, should have time tomorrow. I tried it today, disgustingly cold out, but I am very impressed with this thing. Can't wait for a warmer day to enjoy it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which of these two do you think would be the most effective brake/ recoil compensator? and to reduce muzzle climb for follow up shots.

Or recommend another if you wish.

J-tac47

ak-74 style
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 6:48:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I only have experience with the J-Tac.  That said, I recommend it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 7:02:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

I've heard nothing negative about either one. I am kind of leaning towards the j-tac47.

I see posts about how different muzzle devices look cosmetically, I could care less what it looks like. I'm looking for a recoil reducing effect, and to reduce muzzle climb
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#4]
What are you using it on?  The slant brakes are pretty effective for 47's, as the 74 flash hiders... suprisingly enough, are pretty effective for 74's.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I would agree that the slant brake works. With that said, I beleive the JTAC is slightly better in reducing muzzle rise. IIRC, it is a wide belief that the slant brake is most effective in FA mode.
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What are you using it on?  < >  

14/1 reverse thread

Vector stamped ak and Vector milled ak, figured I'd swap it back and forth
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#7]
did you watch the video on the j-tac site? looks like they work well especially when using full auto. spendy but effective.

i really like the look of the classic slant break. cheap and effective
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#8]
My personal experiences.

Slant brake: tends to slap the stock into my face.  

JTAC: Definitely reduces rise, maybe not rearwards recoil much.

JTAC is definitely preferred.

jm
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have used all three types...on the same gun.
I have an SAR-1 that I bought during the ban.  As soon as the ban ended I took it to Vector  and had them thread the barrel.  I first put a slant brake on it because I wanted the look.  I put the -74 brake on it and found shooting more enjoyable.  THEN I got a J-Tac.  !!Amazing!! difference.  The recoil is much reduced and accuracy is improved.  

FWIW I would choose the J-Tac every time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
did you watch the video on the j-tac site? looks like they work well especially when using full auto. spendy but effective.

i really like the look of the classic slant break. cheap and effective

I guess I should have said the slant brake really comes into play in FA mode. It's design lends itself to full auto, though it does provide a service in semi. Yes the JTAC does really well in FA according to the video, unfortunately I cannot say first hand. I only wish...
Link Posted: 1/27/2008 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I have tried the JTac and it reduces muzzle rise. Recoil is less sharp.  I have also tried a slant brake but  it really does not have much effect. In fact it felt the same to me as using an A1 style Flash hider.  Another option would be the cone shaped Krinkov style muzzle brake. However I have not tried that one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2008 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#12]
JTac
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#13]
BTT for more input.

Link Posted: 2/3/2008 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I ordered the J-tac 47, will let ya know how it does. Is that your new Milled Vector you were waiting on? -very nice man.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#15]
slant brakes are effective on AKs when fired on full auto, as thats how the brake is designed.

id say a J-Tac, or a proper 74 clone brake.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What are you using it on?  The slant brakes are pretty effective for 47's, as the 74 flash hiders... suprisingly enough, are pretty effective for 74's.  

My thoughts as well
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Hungarian AMD-65 brake.  Very loud and very effective, better than a knock-off -74 type in my experience.  Never tried the J-tac and the slant in semi-auto is for looks, IMO.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the J-tac on my AK. I think it works as advertised. The AK74 muzzle brake also works but the J-tac has less noise. If you ever shoot the gun without ear plugs or  have guys standing close, you will appreciate the lesser noise of the J-tac.

Link Posted: 2/15/2008 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine came with a red rubber spacer/washer with the AK J-Tac compensator. MY J-Tac fits good and tight, no wobble like the slant brake had. Did you not get a red rubber spacer/washer to attach to the J-Tac muzzle brake?

Link Posted: 2/16/2008 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Mine came with a red rubber spacer/washer with the AK J-Tac compensator. MY J-Tac fits good and tight, no wobble like the slant brake had. Did you not get a red rubber spacer/washer to attach to the J-Tac muzzle brake?

i55.photobucket.com/albums/g153/jbremount/100_0170.jpg

mine came with it, I didn't really think it was necessary. You just stretch it out over the barrel and slide it on huh.. I guess I should.
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#22]
It appears all the J-Tac compensators comes with the washers/spacers. I never tried mine without the washer(and it may work without it), but I think you want a tight fit on the J-Tac compensator as the exit hole is not that much bigger than the bullet and the chamber/ports are building up a fair amount of pressure.

link
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It appears all the J-Tac compensators comes with the washers/spacers. I never tried mine without the washer(and it may work without it), but I think you want a tight fit on the J-Tac compensator as the exit hole is not that much bigger than the bullet and the chamber/ports are building up a fair amount of pressure.

link

Oops, I didn't think it was necessary. I just checked and the compensator has about a millimeter, mayne a hair more, of "play" where it sets on the muzzle threads.
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I may have to get myself one of those.... even if Snoopy doesn't like it

Nice choice of background.
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I gotta install mine and try it out, did you see a change in the point of impact? Dood, you gotta stop taking pictures of your heat on the bed, Snoopy and an AK -priceless!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I gotta install mine and try it out, did you see a change in the point of impact? Dood, you gotta stop taking pictures of your heat on the bed, Snoopy and an AK -priceless!!

Can't tell point of impact, I fired it into my backstop from about 60 yards yesterday.(closest I could get to it without walking through a boatload of snow, it was freezing yesterday)

I should be able to get out to the rifle range later this week and see how it goes. I just bought this rifle recently and had to order the tool to adjust  the front sight. Point of impact was pretty low out of the box.
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 4:40:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
did you see a change in the point of impact?

My gun shot lower after installing the J-tac. I am thinking it's because the muzzle did not rise as much as before. I turned the front sight up about 2-3 turns to compensate for this and the gun is back on target.
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#28]
What's the outside diameter of these? Will a bayonet fit over it? I may need to take a running jab at something ya know.
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
What's the outside diameter of these? Will a bayonet fit over it? I may need to take a running jab at something ya know.

An AK bayonet will not fit it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Tried mine out today, it was money well spent. The groups shrank nicely and the point of impact was lowered nearly 2" at 100 yards. I like the crush washer that came with it, it's good and snug compared to the old loose slant brake, thats got to help keep the gasses at the muzzle in a more uniform pattern, that simple add on was right up there with getting a regular barrel re crowned.
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#31]
savage_winchester, can you confirm or deny if that jtac really weighs THREE OUNCES? (A slant brake weighs 0.6oz) You've got me wanting one, but I dunno about adding another 2.4oz to the extreme end of my barrel.

Yes I'm a pussy about the weight issue.
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
savage_winchester, can you confirm or deny if that jtac really weighs THREE OUNCES? (A slant brake weighs 0.6oz)
<>

I don't have a good scale for that in the house, but if noone else weighs it for you, I'll take it up to the grocery/ hardware store and toss it in a scale. THat will be tomorrow, Tuesday.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 5:14:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I think their website says it weighs 3 oz. They still wanted almost nine bucks to ship it.
AimSurplus was five bucks cheaper with free shipping.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Mine weighs 2 3/8 ounces.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Does this brake serve to reduce any flash?  Or is it purely a compensator?
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

dixiedawg there's your answer

Quoted:

I doubt it reduces any flash, I don't believe it's designed to.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dixiedawg there's your answer

Quoted:

I doubt it reduces any flash, I don't believe it's designed to.

Link Posted: 2/22/2008 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Purely a compensator.  Muzzle flash became more noticable for me.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top