Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/4/2008 8:57:51 PM EDT
Has anyone hunted with their AK47/74 and what was the game?
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#1]
me= white tail deer   7.62x39

i saw many pix of others
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]
haha, good luck hitting anything beyond 200 yards/meters with that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve killed plenty of whitetail deer with both the AK47 and AK74. It’s what I use every season. Hunting with an AK is different and a hell of a lot of fun. It is definitely one of my favorite things to do.
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You obviously have never fired a 5.45x39 AK or a 5.56NATO AK.
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 5:14:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hunting with an AK is different and a hell of a lot of fun. It is definitely one of my favorite things to do.

+1

I have a 308, but im not that guy that sits in a tree hut in order to hunt.  I used a SKS for 8 years and prefered it over my other rifles.  For the last 2 i used an AK47 with no complaints.  Though i am in MS, where distance and game size are not issues.

With my newer WASR-10 i can hit a pie plate target with a reflex at 200 yrds.  Hell i havent shot a deer over 120 yrds in a very long time, but thats South MS.
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have killed 2 mule deer bucks, Many coyotes, rabbits, and squirrels with my .223 saiga.
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AKs fire at best around 3-4 MOA, and typically shoot 5moa
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First, notice that he said a 5.45 or 5.56 AK.  A Saiga .223 will routinely shoot under 2 MOA, as will many other AKs in this caliber.  

Second, the mechanical accuracy is nearly irrelevant, so long as the shooter is competent.  How many tens of thousands of deer are taken every year with smoothbore shotguns firing slugs?  How many deer have been taken with Winchester 94s?  
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Someone here had great pictures of their deer kills with an AK74...all I can recall is there was a small dog in the pictures also....
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First, notice that he said a 5.45 or 5.56 AK.  A Saiga .223 will routinely shoot under 2 MOA, as will many other AKs in this caliber.  

Second, the mechanical accuracy is nearly irrelevant, so long as the shooter is competent.  How many tens of thousands of deer are taken every year with smoothbore shotguns firing slugs?  How many deer have been taken with Winchester 94s?  

The author wasn't talking about Saiga, he said AK74 and AK47. I also read an article from "shooting illistrated" written by the NRA, and all the shoot tests showed the AK74 was doing groups of 5 moa.
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The author wasn't talking about Saiga, he said AK74 and AK47. I also read an article from "shooting illistrated" written by the NRA, and all the shoot tests showed the AK74 was doing groups of 5 moa.

Now did the auther mention anything about a specific AK variant?

Anyhow, I'm no hunter but I would think a 7.62x39 would make a better brush gun than a .223 here in Texas. Also, don't most hunter here use feeders which lure the deer in for a close shot?
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now did the auther mention anything about a specific AK variant?

Anyhow, I'm no hunter but I would think a 7.62x39 would make a better brush gun than a .223 here in Texas. Also, don't most hunter here use feeders which lure the deer in for a close shot?

My god.  The "hey, ak's are accurate vs. hey, ak's aren't accurate enough" conflict is played the Eff out.  It obviously works for the people it works for, and doesn't for the people it doesn't.  Let's not bicker in the most predictable non-argument of all time....

And to answer the initial poster, yes, and I use it for coyotes in Iowa, and piggy in Texas Hill Country!  I don't really hang out in expansive, 300+-yard-shooting-lane plains states, so my Romy G works perfectly.  Fun fun fun!
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Someone here had great pictures of their deer kills with an AK74...all I can recall is there was a small dog in the pictures also....

That was me!

I've got lots of pics of me and the war poodle. Here's one...

Link Posted: 4/5/2008 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Frank,

Tell the truth, you didn't shoot that deer.  Your vicious poodle ran it down.

Busted! Ya got me!
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Gotta love the war poodle!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#18]
It's ok to hunt with a 30rd mag in GA???
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It's ok to hunt with a 30rd mag in GA???

I believe GA has a grey area about that.  Something like its your private property and just dont have over 10 rounds if the GW checks.  I may be wrong, but a little research should do the job.

I really dont under stand how people can question the Hunting Potential of an AK47.

Ever ask yourself what was the most widely used hunting caliber in history?

I do believe that after 100 yards the 7.62x39 out does the 30-30.

I believe that the Hunter should know his rifles capabilities.  I know how to hunt and i know the distance/range of my firearm.  That said, when i go on a hunt i try to set the parameters of the hunt to my advantage and my gear.

Just my .02's  

Edit:  I just looked over GA laws/regulations there was no mention of ammunition requirments/regulations for rifles, other than must be centerfire and no smaller than 22.  Thats for 2007-2008.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well since there were tests and the results were in a magazine...there is NO way groups could be any less....I mean they are the end all be all......gimme a break
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#21]
No magazine limit in Ok on calibers larger than 22. cal centerfire and i know several people who use ak's for deer and pigs.... they seem to kill'm just as dead as anything else when the guy with gun does his part.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1)  A Saiga is an AK.  

2)  Many, many AKs will shoot under 3 MOA, which is more than enough accuracy for short/medium range deer hunting.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK...  Jim Zumbo had a column in that same "Shooting Illustrated".  He called AR15 and AK's assult rifles that are "terrorists weapons" and should not be hunted with.  

Not due to any lack of MOA, but they look scary to the public.  Is this the type of article that you Read?  This Zumbo admits in one of the articles that he has only seen one of these rifles in use. hahahah    This is they type of writers that you are getting advice from.

Hell did they tell you what type of ammo was used in test, if they used Irons or optics, if the shooters have even shot an ak before, or what was the distance???

Link Posted: 4/6/2008 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK...  Jim Zumbo had a column in that same "Shooting Illustrated".  He called AR15 and AK's assult rifles that are "terrorists weapons" and should not be hunted with.  

Not due to any lack of MOA, but they look scary to the public.  Is this the type of article that you Read?  This Zumbo admits in one of the articles that he has only seen one of these rifles in use. hahahah    This is they type of writers that you are getting advice from.

Hell did they tell you what type of ammo was used in test, if they used Irons or optics, if the shooters have even shot an ak before, or what was the distance???

exactly........ just because this guy writes for a gun rag doesnt mean jack......get out and familiarize yourself with the AK before you start quoting what some guy writes in an article

the AK is very capable of less than 4-6in  but yes a few things play into that.....ammo, breathing, trigger control, weather, and most important the guy behind it.....its just like shooting any other rifle.....time and practice......go out and get some
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#25]
we need an AK hunting picture thread tagged on these boards
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
exactly........ just because this guy writes for a gun rag doesnt mean jack......get out and familiarize yourself with the AK before you start quoting what some guy writes in an article

the AK is very capable of less than 4-6in  but yes a few things play into that.....ammo, breathing, trigger control, weather, and most important the guy behind it.....its just like shooting any other rifle.....time and practice......go out and get some

So, what are you an EXPERT? GTFO. I've been in the military long enough to know the capabilities of the AK-47 weapon system, and I shoot them all the time. I'm talking about RAW data, not someon0e's opinion.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#27]
depends on the AK's and ammo you are using, I have an AK that can group like a ninja and one that can't, probably because the second has a barrel from Yugoslavia,

ArmyInfantryVet, do you use brand new AK's or older AK's for your Army "stuff" or whatever you do?
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, what are you an EXPERT? GTFO. I've been in the military long enough to know the capabilities of the AK-47 weapon system, and I shoot them all the time. I'm talking about RAW data, not someon0e's opinion.

your in the military?????? means squat...........am I an expert? not by any means.....do I know my way around AKs, yea been shooting them a long time....probably longer than you and your military career......data?  its exactly what were talking about...go back and read the thread over, start from the beginning

just because a gun writer states some data and that AKs are good for only 4to 6 in groups means dick to me(guy used shitty ammo....guy is a shitty shooter....guy just hates AKs).......go back and read my reasons especially....there are far to many variables when it comes to GROUPS.....so please spare me......I can give someone the best tricked out AR ever made and tell you that it will get 5 shot groups dime sized at 100yrds..... if that someone doesnt know how to shoot they wont hit the broad side of a barn........so dont come on these boards quoting some journalist on what an AK can and cant do, shooters already know what they can do with their rifle.......and please spare us the "I was in the military" remarks means nada, it sure as hell dont mean you can shoot, and it sure as hell does not make you an expert on the AK, maybe its just that others are better with the AK platform than you?

expert? no......long time shooter(especially AKs)... yea

good luck and keep shooting
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Make popcorn, grab a soda, get a comfy chair, and wait for the mud slinging to begin.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, I guess the fact that I was a shooter for living means nothing. While others who do it as a HOBBY must have done it more than me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#32]
11bravo. Yes, that is shooting a gun for a living. No, not been to sniper school. I am however, a precision shooter.

I am not bashing the AK. I like the AK, but it was NOT designed to be a accurate gun. The Soviets designed it for close combat where it was 100 meters and closer. I'm sure if you take an AR or just about ANY other western semi auto, it will shoot tighter groups than an AK47.

Sniper school doesn't necessarily make one a great shooter. Anyway, I have shot expert 8 times in a row so I KNOW how to shoot.

My post was talking about the AK47/74, not a Saiga. Sure with handloads you can shoot below 3 moa with an AK, but your general AK47/74 will NOT shoot that well with typical ammunition.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Im not a precision shooter and i can group 2-3in @ 100 yrds with a WASR-10 using a Reflex.

Honestly i doubt a Precision shooter was handling the AK in the Article.  All of ya'll have more experience in this than i do.  When im hunting i dont use the bottom of the barrel ammo, so why test accuracy with it.  I'm not saying handloads, but lets say Prvi SPs, Barnaul SP/HP or even Wolf 154gr SP.

Hell im curious if the shooter was using optics or irons in that article. Experience with AK irons does help

Keep the good info coming, i love good discussions.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#34]

By the way, a Saiga is an example of an AK type rifle, no different than a SAR-1, SAR-2, WASR, MAK-90 or any other semi-auto AK you can purchase in the United States. You do realize that don't you?

come on Mak.....he was in the military he already knows that  

Make popcorn, grab a soda, get a comfy chair, and wait for the mud slinging to begin

no mud slinging ....maybe some pokes here and there but we can still keep it civil and we can all learn from one another......no harm no foul to anyone here   sometimes we just agree to disagree    

Link Posted: 4/6/2008 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I will willing to have survivorman have the last word and not respond. Until he started to attack my service record. The fangs come out then.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#36]
In my area you don't need anything that shoots over 200 meters, there are too many trees to see far and homes in the area so you need to watch how you are shooting regardless, over 200 meters is definitely a bad idea unless you are on a hunting reservation or one of those really gay "pay and hunt" shit places
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#37]
One member on this board shot a bear and posted pictures of it.

Hope I'm  not going to get dragged into this accuracy debate but with an SKS with bipod and scope was hitting ballons at 325 yds (that is how far I was told the targets were.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Next time I wade into the pigs under my feeders I'll ask them for comments on my weapons pathetic lack of inherent accuracy.

B
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Has anyone hunted with their AK47/74 and what was the game?

works pretty good on humans
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#41]
need the bear picture
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

By the way, a Saiga is an example of an AK type rifle,

Quoted:

My post was talking about the AK47/74, not a Saiga. S.

What part of: Saiga = AK don't you get?

Wait, you read it in a magazine, never mind.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I've previously said that I wouldn't hunt with an AK because I didn't feel like I could shoot it accurately enough to make clean kills.  Having bought one and done a lot more shooting with one in the last year or so, I now would not hesitate to use one if the conditions were right (shots < 100 yards/thick brush), particularly with larger stuff like hogs.  That being said, given the choice between that and a 30-30 (a round with similar accuracy and ballistics), I'd probably (usually) take the 30-30 just because I love it so much (also because it's lighter on a long hump through the brush).  Perhaps this year I'll bust out the AK and kill a hog or perhaps a deer with it just for the heck of it.

The ammo capacity is not a concern for me; I seldom take more than a handful of rounds with me on a hunt (I don't think I've ever shot more than twice at the same large animal... if I don't think I can make the shot, I don't take it... that's just the way I was taught).
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top