Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2004 8:34:45 PM EDT
Picked up a Global Trades AMD-63-2UF,  nice build but not perfect.  The gas tube and upper and lower hand guards all very loose.  Underfolder stock has a wee bit bit of play in all directions.  

Question:

Is there an easy way to tighten the stock for tighter side to side fit?  I don't mind the up and down play, but side to side it an issue with cheek weld, etc.

(edited to remove incorrect information)
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#2]
It seems I will need to send the rifle back for warranty repairs for some other issues, so hopefully they will be able to tighten the stock up a bit.  Still interested in the details on how this can be done if anybody knows.

UD
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#3]
What are the warranty repair issues?
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Minor stuff, but should be fixed for a new rifle:

- gas block canted off center on closer inspection it seems to be within spec.
- loose/rattle gas tube (gas block connection)
- loose upper and lower hand guards
- loose under folding stock (play in all directions)
- upper (wood) hand guard missing varnish on one side

I am also asking for a non-vented gas tube to replace the vented one that came with the rifle.  I prefer not to have both a vented block and vented tube.

From what I hear Jimmy is a good guy to deal with and I am confident they will get me fixed up.

UD
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
BTT
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:02:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Your not the only one who has had problems with recent Global builds.  It amazes me as to why Global can't get the small stuff right.  These guns should not be leaving with canted FSBs, AK-47 gas tubes with AKM gas blocks, etc.  I used to think Jimmy was a good guy but now I believe he is just part of the problem too.  I have an underfolder like yours that has a canted FSB.  The bolt in the gun looked like crapp also.  I'm going to sell mine and when I do I'll never buy from Global again.  I hope they make your rifle right.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:38:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replys.  I was hoping to avoid sending the gun off for repairs, but may need to.

I've heard that this is the way underfolders are (wobble), but I really like the way the look.    Getting it as tight as can be when seems like a good idea.

Anyway, I will post my warranty repair results when I get the rifle back from Global.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Let us know what happens.  They got the stock right on mine, it is tight, but the damn FSB and bolt, AAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Side to side wobble on an underfolder is easily fixed or I should say adjusted.  In fact, the design is made to adjust out looseness.  Just push the unlocking button and expose the round nut and pin on the right (looking forward) side of the mechanism.  Push the pin out and tighten the nut until it “feels” right.  A small punch is all you need to both push out the pin and tighten the nut.  Then line up the nearest hole on the nut with the whole in the center post and replace.  You can make it as tight as you want.  Suggestion: I always replace the factory pins in my builds with appropriate size roll pins ($5 at harbor freight for a near lifetime supply).  They fit great and eliminate pins falling out over time which they will.
As for the up and down “wobble”?  Well, not a lot of choices there and it is most likely not the builders fault.  Vertical movement is totally a function of the relative size of the trunnion holes and the locking pins.  If you really want to tighten them up I suspect the only real fix is to add material to the pins or close up the hole diameter with a welder.  Probably pretty easy to do since the entire mechanism can be disassembled with hand tools but I have not seen the need personally.  They move a little but it doesn’t bother me and I have never seen an UF that doesn’t.
Hope this helps
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought a ssr-56 from them, it show way to the right, so far to the right  that even when I put the front site all the way to the right, it still shot to the right, I took it to them and they said the Bbl wasn't bent and even if the front site blade was all the way to the right it was still in mil spec, I said bs, so they gave me a new rifle, so I sighted it in, same thing, took it to them and their smith canted my fsb to the right so the blade would be centered..... I was soo pissed, they said it was just me, the rifle was fine, so I took it home, because I was so mad I needed to cool down and collect myself, I took it apart and looked down the muzzel  the gd Bbl was ut into the reciever crooked, it had shot the same way the first one did, so I assume the first Bl was crooked too, so I talked to jimmy, a real nice guy, ronnie is a p.o.s., anyway, I went over and showed him, they said they would rebuild it with the new 1.6mm reciever, I said ok and gave them this last chance, if it wasnt perfect I wouldn't take it, soI waited  two weeks and they had my rifle ready, I went there and checked every aspect of the rifle to make sure its in spec, the rails the headspaceing the way it was aligned, ok I went home and the only thing I didn't check was eh mag well, my mags wouldn't go in, so I flip out and go back there was flashing infront of teh trigger gaurd, they fixed that and also changed some dimensions in teh magwell to fit the mags..... I took it out to a shoot we had for the Houston crew and shot it, I think I have the only global rifle that works... it's really nice, but I had to go thru hell and high water to get it, Ill never buy from them again....
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a early ssr 56, on a oow recv, and havent had any probs since I misplaced the buffer. Dunno, maybe I lucked out, but she is a beaut and a bullet whore all at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#13]
rickinvegas:

Thanks!  That is the info I was looking for.  Side to side slop is what I want to correct.  The up and down play is not a concern.  

I have been swapping email with Jimmy for a few days now and he has been helpful and answered all questions so far.  I would prefer to fix things myself, always good to know how to work on your own guns.  So I have set about to correct all issues on my own.  I think I now have all the information I need to get things right.  Hopefully it will shoot well once I get it to the range.

Here is the final run down as I know it to be now:

- Gas block assembly appears to be straight (shape of the part itself makes it hard to tell, if that makes sense).  Also the FSB may be a hair off?
- Gas tube was filed down too far in rear which made for a *very* loose fit.  I replaced it with a Kvar non vented and it is now tight as a drum, but does not match the grey park of the rifle since it is black.  I will ask Jimmy to send a replacement that matches.
- Folding stock side to side slop easily fixed following rickinvegas' directions (Thanks again Rick!)
- Lower handguard loose due to over cutting when fitting.  Srpings or spacers not included.  Will fix by adding one or both.

I will post pictures later today.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#14]
btt
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:48:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
- Folding stock side to side slop easily fixed following rickinvegas' directions (Thanks again Rick!)

Anytime

It's too bad Global is using marginal 63 parts kits for these builds.  We built 3 of these last year on kits ordered from Centerfire IIRC and they were unfired new.  The fact that yours was built in UF configuration tells me they probably are using misc. left overs from parts kits they couldn't sell or build.  Too bad.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:10:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Man that is a bummer!!!  

Just return it and get your money back!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, I need to correct my own mistake...  What I thought was a pit in the bore turned out to be the gas port.  I feel like a stupid ass, but that's how you learn (I guess).  I'm still very new to AK's, obviously.

Jimmy is sending me new parts to replace the ones that are defective on the rifle.  After that I hope to shoot the crap out of the thing and call it done.  

It's great having this site as a resource to learn from.  Thanks again for all the replies and advice.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What I thought was a pit in the bore turned out to be the gas port.  

Too funny!

Well I'm glad it's actually working out for you!
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What I thought was a pit in the bore turned out to be the gas port.

Let me guess, your first AK??  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top