Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 7:47:22 PM EDT
So I stopped by the local shop today to pick up some .223, and was looking at the price of 7.62x39........only there wasn't any......except some "russian" brass cased "match" ammo ( I didn't get the name off of the box, so I don't really know what it was)
They were completely out of Wolf and Barnaul, of which they usually have 6-7 cases of each at any given time.
Now here's where it gets good.....apparantly, our gubmint is buying up all of the Com-block ammo in the country and shipping it to Iraq....so the Iraqis don't buy it from the Russians, or whomever.
I kinda took this with a big ol' grain of rock salt, bought my .223 and went on my merry way.
Has anyone else heard anything remotely similar? Or is my dealer hittin' the pipe a little too much?
Thanks, Bill
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#2]
well I read were buying .223 from Israel...we cant handle the load. So it wouldnt surprise me...to stupid to buy from the source...get it from retailers here in the states.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I went to sportsmans Whorehose today to get some 7.62x39....

NONE TO BE SEEN!!!

Most of the time it is stacked by the case. but not a single round in sight.

And this aint no BS!!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmm.... So the Iraqis don't buy RUSSIAN ammo from RUSSIA that sure makes sense.

So why don't we ( USA ) buy USA imported RUSSIAN ammo EXPORT it back to the Eastern Hemisphere and give it to the Iraqis... just so they wont buy RUSSIAN ammo from RUSSIA.

With the US guvment... I could buy a story like that  

But honestly... Like the middle east doesn't have enough 7.62x39, come on.... think people  

1 apartment in Iraq has more 7.62 ammo than all AK47 owners on this board  

Your dealer is hittin' the pipe a little hard lately...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The iraqis arent hurting for ANYTHING that has to do with guns, accept quality marksmanship taining. Or atleast they wouldnt be if we didnt blow up and burn all thier shit. But I seriously doubt that we are buying it and giving it to them...If we are then its our fault.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#6]
That's what I love about these rumors...................of course, they were out....
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I have heard this rumor, but believe it to be complete and utter BS.  BTW, where were you getting it from?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Several places have 7.62x39 back-ordered, but I have no idea why...

Maybe someone that embraces the dark side more could explain the shrinking quantities of 7.62 ?

I have a feeling that it will start showing up within a few weeks... that is just my guess though.

I can understand stuff like XM193 becoming slightly more scarce, but not the 7.62  

Time will tell I suppose... don't worry about it though.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#9]
after 2 hurricanes people are feeling SHTF-ey.  like when the ban came down, sept 11, when the ban wasn't renewed, etc..  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
after 2 hurricanes people are feeling SHTF-ey.  like when the ban came down, sept 11, when the ban wasn't renewed, etc..  

You have a good point.. One of my distributers says they are shiping tons of guns and ammo to the gulf region..
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry guys it was me.  I've been buying it all up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Maybe someone that embraces the dark side more could explain the shrinking quantities of 7.62 ?

I have a feeling that it will start showing up within a few weeks... that is just my guess though.

I can understand stuff like XM193 becoming slightly more scarce, but not the 7.62  

I have a surplus dealer that I purchase from at the gun shows.  At the show this month over the 9-11th weekend he only had Cheetah by the 1440rd case.  I saw some Wolf at his table and bought a case for $105.  (Just a case as I'm not fond of a price tag of $105) When I got home I found out it was 5.56, 62grn HP.  So his discussion of the Wolf 7.62 being "tied up at the port" suddenly began to make sense.  He apparently thought I just needed more 223 so we didn't communicate all to well.  In the end, his impression was that there was a new shipment about to be released "from the port".

I hope it's true, as I was hell bent to spend $3-400 on 7.62x39 alone.  I'm looking forward to a good December show so I can have myself a "merry little Christmas"!

Sly
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I really don't want to cause some sort of ammo buying paniced frenzy..........I'm just curious where the heck these rumors come from. Normal supply and demand would accoutnt for fluctuations in inventory.......so why have a good "rumor" to go with the fact you are backordered?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#15]
BS.  I worked for 10 months in Iraq with civilians who were charged with reducing the arms stockpile through demolition and dismantling.  No small arms stuff was destroyed.  It was all taken by the US Army. Where-I don't know.  But there was tons of it-Russian AND Chinese-stacked floor to ceiling everywhere you looked.  No shortage over there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#16]
My dealer stocked up on Russian stuff because he said it would be hard to get until about December. I didn't ask beyond that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#17]

At least he could have been creative and said the Russian ships all disappeared in a storm.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:55:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Some Wolf is out of stock at the Ammunitionstore www.ammunitionstore.com/pricelist_762x39.htm
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Still plenty of wolf @ Cabelas $94.99 case
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
At Last weekends gunshow in dayton, there wasn't any wolf 7.62x39 to be found and only 2 cases of 5.45 in the building. i bought 1 of them. plenty of tiger and port in 7.62. so there really isn't any shortage of AK ammo, just wolf. mmk

Is that portugese stuff any good?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I think the lack of 7.62x39 is do to the fact that people went ape-shit on this kind of stuff after katrina and especially here before Rita hit.  You also have to think about how many people own an SKS rifle, probably the most common sporter rifle in households, so people just stocked up in the event of GFB another attack or natural disastor.  Before Katrina, it was easy to find, now anywhere I go it's hard to find 7.62x39 and .223.

just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Its BS.  I know a member on another forum that talked directly with Wolf salesmen who said production of ammo has increased and by early next year they will be flooding the market.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Its BS. I know a member on another forum that talked directly with Wolf salesmen who said production of ammo has increased and by early next year they will be flooding the market.

Ahhhh yes, Wolf at $79/1000 once again

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#25]
BS, but just like all rumors there is some truth to it... You know how stuff gets changed..

For example, the US importer for Barnaul is supplying the Afgan Army via the US Gov't. The US Gov't does buy allot of non-standard  ammo (like Russian calibers) from US Importers to supply other nations Armies through aid programs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
For example, the US importer for Barnaul is supplying the Afgan Army via the US Gov't.

A co-worker of mine recently returned from an 18-month stint in Afghanistan. One of the pics in the slideshow he showed us was several pallets of Wolf 7.62x39 that they brought in to equip the Afghan army. I wouldn't have believed it if I'd heard it from a "gun shop commando", but there it was!

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

My thoughts?
The newly re-interpreted import ban on AK parts kits has given the dark side boys that "sinking feeling"
ATF might decide to suddenly declare ALL 7.62x39 "non-sporting" ammo.
ETA: But that's just one idea.
Many more good ones have been voiced.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#28]
With the dollar falling and the price of oil rising, don't count on the price of imported ammo going anywhere but up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#29]
At the gunshow this past weekend there was minimal ammo of any type no cases stacked up like before cept for the one expensive a$$hole.
The only bulk on 7.62x39 was some brown bear at $65 for 500!

There was 2 young fellows and a cute russian girl a few shows back that had tons of ammo wish they would come back!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Its BS.  I know a member on another forum that talked directly with Wolf salesmen who said production of ammo has increased and by early next year they will be flooding the market.

I can assure you that they will not "flood the market". It might be available, but oversupply would not be in the manufacturers best interest and won't happen within there control. I hope you get all the wolf you want but I would just as soon pay an extra $10/1000 and be able to hit the paper
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can assure you that they will not "flood the market". It might be available, but oversupply would not be in the manufacturers best interest and won't happen within there control. I hope you get all the wolf you want but I would just as soon pay an extra $10/1000 and be able to hit the paper

I don't have any accuracy problems with my Wolf.  I definitely can hit paper...  Anyone else?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you talking about that Portuguese stuff..... when was that stuff made anyhow ?

ETA: I have no accuracy problems with Wolf, I hit the paper everytime. It is sub-torso, what else could you want out of your ammo  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Flooding the market=Widely available.  5.45 and 7.62 Wolf ammo is not exactly abundant at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#34]
i get calls everyday of guys trying to bid on government contracts of ammo.   Once a week, some branch opens bids and guys are calling trying to get something that meets the specs, so they can make a few bucks on uncle sam.   I just shipped some for FBI training.  

But the real prob is this,  Russia took over one of the factories for military purposes.   The US DID put in a Large order for 762x39 and 5.45 at the Barnual factory.   There won't be any of that ammo till Dec.  Wolf is the only one getting ammo in right now and its being rationed all accross the country.   But the price will never be cheap again.    Shipping on a container of ammo used to run about $4,000, and now can run upward of $25,000 after storage fees, transportation costs, and various CUSTOMS fees.  

For 2006 expect to pay about $120 at the local show for 1,000rds.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#35]
holly shit there was a hurricane in nowwlenns!!!!!!!!! we might have one here in shelton washington. I gottsta buy me some 7.62!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I live in Ga, does that give me just cause to buy 2^10000 rounds of 7.62x39  

I mean I do live closer to NOleans than you do  

Hell, if all else fails I will just throw rocks and girlie punches, that will be sure to drive away foreign invaders and refugees  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top