User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/22/2006 2:56:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, you've answered that "what if" question Ive always had.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, that's nasty. Mental note-clean AKs after using corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for posting that, I'd never seen what would happen if you didn't clean after corrosive stuff. That is FAR worse than I would have guessed!

I've never even seen any corrosive ammo in 7.62x39, who makes it and where would you see it? All I have is Norinco, S&B, Wolf, and Barnaul - they don't make corrosive do they? Wouldn't it be marked if it were?
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats a shame man........ But our best lessons are learned this way. Maybe you can just get the barrel replaced. Great photos........Thanks.....
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]

That's why they call it corrosive I guess...  Thanks for the pics
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Someone did a test with 7N6 over at Akforum.net here and explained how to shoot corrosive ammo without getting this type of result.  www.akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9841

Basically he ran a few rounds of non-corrosive ammo after he was done shooting for the day and it helps to reduce the corrosive affects of the ammo.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for posting that, I'd never seen what would happen if you didn't clean after corrosive stuff. That is FAR worse than I would have guessed!

I've never even seen any corrosive ammo in 7.62x39, who makes it and where would you see it? All I have is Norinco, S&B, Wolf, and Barnaul - they don't make corrosive do they? Wouldn't it be marked if it were?

The East Germans made...or remade...some.  White glossy box..."Made in Germany" on the box, etc.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Ouch!  I'm glad that was just a WASR-2 and not an expensive rifle.

I think I'll stay away from the corrosive stuff.  I've never seen corrosive ammo do that much damage all inside the fire control group.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#9]
well dam, looks like its been underwater.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#10]
You gotta use that old stinky GI bore cleaner and clean it 3 days straight. Save that 7N6 ammo for SHTF, stick with the dirty Wolf
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You gotta use that old stinky GI bore cleaner and clean it 3 days straight. Save that 7N6 ammo for SHTF, stick with the dirty Wolf

Wouldn't it make sense to use Barnaul or Wolf for SHTF since it wouldn't corrode your rifle if you couldn't clean it right away?

If it worked for WW2 Garands in need of watery rinse, then just pee.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Just Damn!

Glad I chose the Silver Bear over the 7N6
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Just curious, you said that you let it sit for a few weeks.  Just exactly where was it sitting?
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#14]
That looks worse than the $30 GEW 88s
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Holy ... f*ckin' ... SHIT!

WOW!!!

Save that ammo for SHTF my ass; I'd heave it in the landfill!

Link Posted: 10/22/2006 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#16]
The soviets just dunked em in diesel. Scrubed em and dunked em again.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn!

My AK is in storage at my Dad's place and i only get to shoot it about once a year. For the first 15 years, no problems.  Then I shot some old Chinese steel core ammo corrosive ammo and i didnt do a good enough job cleaning it.  1 year later it had some rust on the gas piston and the vent holes on the gas tube.  but nothing like that!
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Ballistol and water would have cleaned the gunk out and prevented the rust.. Hey, at least we all got to learn something!
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#19]
None of the confiscated AKs I saw in Afghanistan looked like that and they weren't maintained AT ALL.

Weird.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
None of the confiscated AKs I saw in Afghanistan looked like that and they weren't maintained AT ALL.

Weird.

I doubt many of the confiscated AKs you dealt with had been subjected to humidity much above 10-15%, that makes all the difference in the world. That is why the US military stores unused aircraft in the desert rather than in GA or FL.

So the combination of humid air and corrosive ammo is what made it so bad? That makes more sense.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Ouch!  I'm glad that was just a WASR-2 and not an expensive rifle.

I think I'll stay away from the corrosive stuff.  I've never seen corrosive ammo do that much damage all inside the fire control group.

Don't jump on the bandwagon just yet.  Corrosive ammo is not a big deal as long as you take the proper steps to shoot with it.  Running 5 rounds of Wolf after your range session with corrosive ammo will allow you to wait a few days before cleaning.  Or just clean the your rifle as directed for corrosive ammo.  It is really not that big of a deal.  Again, check out the link.  Especially since 7N6 is really the only ammo available in 5.45 right now IIRC.

www.akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9841
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Corrosive Ammo is a concern and I for one would not knowingly shoot any in my AK.  My question is, how do you recognize corrosive ammo.  Most of my ammo shows on the packaging non-corrosive but I have a case of 762x39 that shows made in Russia, 20rds of Hunting Ammunition and the headstamp is 3 on one side of the base and 94 on the other side.  There is nothing about corrosive or non-corrosive.  The primer is grey in color and I remember reading somewhere that grey primers were corrosive.  Any comments.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the report . WarDawg
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I keep a solution in my cleaning bottle just for corrosive  that has some ammonia and other  stuff in it to help neutralize the corrosive salts. I pour it down the barrel and run the snake through it at the range and do the same at home followed up with hoppes bore cleaner and CLP over everyhing to finish it off.

Takes a whole 10 minutes at the most and keeps the rifle like new. Been doing the same thing for almost 3 years now and havn't had anything corrode/rust yet.

Link Posted: 10/22/2006 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#30]
theres no way that was caused merely by corrosive ammo,

the corrosion in the pics shows where mere corrosive ammo would NOT cause corrosion at....

not a chance,........no way, absolutely not

sorry, nope.

at any rate, only a goof would shoot corrosive ammo thru their AK.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
theres no way that was caused merely by corrosive ammo,

the corrosion in the pics shows where mere corrosive ammo would NOT cause corrosion at....

As i stated on page one I had some rust from corrosive ammo on the gas piston and the vent tubes in the ubberhandguard/gas tube. That was after one year storage in the basement of my dads house.

The rifle pictured looks like it was fired with corrosive ammo then left outside in the rain for a month.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 2:31:30 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Soooo... the Russians and every other Eastern Bloc military are "goofs"?  

Link Posted: 10/23/2006 2:49:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The chinese shit is corrosive...

And steel core or not, it is NOT AP...

The other 3 are commercial, non corrosive ammo....
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 3:06:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 3:12:06 AM EDT
[#35]
but...but...but...My Best-Friend's-Girlfriend's-Uncle Jimbo who was serving with the Super Special Forces in Poon-Tang said that they used to pull AKs from the mud and muck of a rice patty with what was left of Charlie's skeleton still clutching the weapon and all they did was kick the bolt open with their boot, piss into the receiver and they were ready to go full-auto on Ho-Chi-Min's ass!    
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 3:30:47 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You guys are missing the reason they still use the corrosive stuff..

Corrosive primers last for-friggin-ever.  Look at that ancient turk 8mm with the busted necks and the decaying brass.  Still goes bang.  Corrosive primers.

Non-corrosive primers degrade over time.  Not a lot, not so that it would matter much to us, but it works fine for them.

Just clean with water or something containing water after you shoot and everything's fine.  It's not fucking rocket science, that's for sure.  Wasn't too long ago that perchlorate (corrosive) primers were all that was available, and that's all anyone ever shot.  Numerous armies fought wars with the stuff.  Black powder's even worse.

Hey.. Even better.  You guys with the questionable chicom stuff or the milsurp stuff from wherever, you send that shit on down here and I'll dispose of it safely for you.  I've had no problem with many thousands of rounds of corrosive stuff in 7.62x39, 7.62x54, .303, .45ACP, etcetc.  Maybe it's my aura.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:30:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys are missing the reason they still use the corrosive stuff..

Corrosive primers last for-friggin-ever.  Look at that ancient turk 8mm with the busted necks and the decaying brass.  Still goes bang.  Corrosive primers.

Non-corrosive primers degrade over time.  Not a lot, not so that it would matter much to us, but it works fine for them.

Just clean with water or something containing water after you shoot and everything's fine.  It's not fucking rocket science, that's for sure.  Wasn't too long ago that perchlorate (corrosive) primers were all that was available, and that's all anyone ever shot.  Numerous armies fought wars with the stuff.  Black powder's even worse.

Hey.. Even better.  You guys with the questionable chicom stuff or the milsurp stuff from wherever, you send that shit on down here and I'll dispose of it safely for you.  I've had no problem with many thousands of rounds of corrosive stuff in 7.62x39, 7.62x54, .303, .45ACP, etcetc.  Maybe it's my aura.

Right!  I've always been under the impression that any foreign surplus ammo that has wording like "sure fire..." or something similar in the description is corrosive.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:52:07 AM EDT
[#38]
One word.  Windex.  Make sure it has ammonia.  Ammonia neutralizes the corrosive salts.  Spray down the bolt, bolt carrier, inside of the receiver, FCG.  Wipe it down.  Spray a bunch down the bore so the patch you run down it is wet.  Then clean as usual.  

Uhhh, by usual, I mean clean it with solvent & oil, etc.  Not "as usual" for some folks which means wait 5000 rds, then clean.

Oh yeah.  There is another way too.  Boil water and scrub down the receiver and bore with hot soapy water, followed by a boiling water rinse.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess you did not know that sigandglocks is the final word on any topic related to firearms.  Just check some of his other lunatic posts.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#40]
There is one itty bitty detail that has been missed here. your normal AK isnt going to corrode to this degree using corrosive ammunition. One of the contributing factors Is the fact that there was a suppresser attached to this rifle. Bigbore leads a busy life and doesnt have the time or desire to spend his valuable time scrubbing and lubricating things. Yes the corrosion was bad here but it is something that was increased by the suppresser. Silencers have a tendancy to blow alot of hot gasses back into the action both through the gas system and the barrel during extraction.This is alot like backpressure on an automotive exhaust system.  I have seen the rifle and for the corrosion it had,after cleaning it was completley functional I can attest to the damage it did but there are contributing factors here. A good example of what corrosive ammunition can do. The silencer I would venture to say may have made the quantity of ammunition shot have the effect of two or three times the ammunition actually shot.
regardless the fact that it was functional after it was cleaned is a testament to the durability of the action. Heck this never was a safe Queen It is nice to have a guy here in the forums that is willing to try new things for himself Some of us just dont buy everything that we hear or read. And to be able to experiment however unintentional. Is + Cool points in my book.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess you did not know that sigandglocks is the final word on any topic related to firearms.  Just check some of his other lunatic posts.

+1...troll of the month.  Guess he doesn't understand that almost every military in the world used corrosive ammo at some point in time...and some still do.  But what do they know....bunch of goofs.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

answer........YES....

I lived in Communist Russia for 4 years.......working for the US Govt. im a Russian translator.....

Russians are pretty well insane kooks.... Russians stole every idea they have from someone else....

including the design of the AK.......everything in Russia is a rip off of someone elses invention...

yuo need to be in Russia for a while to understand how messed up that place really is
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#43]
There must be another reason the corrosion is so bad... whether it was humidity, a suppressor, a shitty metal finish... whatever. I have shot the 7n6... and will continue to... I have not had an issue with corrosion whatsoever... and Oregon can be WET!

But, thanks for the info Big Bore... good pics too.

If anyone wants to dispose of their 7n6 or Wasp... shoot me an e-mail... I will take it off your hands.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 8:01:06 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

OUCH!

That was a hard lesson learned.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
]

+1...troll of the month.  Guess he doesn't understand that almost every military in the world used corrosive ammo at some point in time...and some still do.  But what do they know....bunch of goofs.  

Did i say MILITARY??? No...........you/me are not Military.......we pay $100s for our guns.......

the military uses guns like WE use toilet paper...........they can AFFORD to use corrosive ammo........

US Military bulldozed about 50,000 Tommy Guns into a ditch...........................

we pay $18,000 for a real tommy gun.......................

you missed the entire bloody point............I never mentioned the MILITARY........let them use corrosive ammo....

unless your daddy Warbucks and can burn money for sheets and giggles, a PRIVATE individual doesnt use corrosive ammo "unless theyre a goof"
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#46]
I have been shooting 7N6 Corrosive Ammo for a few Months now and never had a problem, becuase I clean my Rifle. While I'm at the Range, I will fire five Rounds or so of Non-corrosive Ammo thru the Rifle before I leave. When I get Home I will use Simple Green and hot water to clean it. Fireing Non-Corrosive thru the Rifle at the end of a Shooting Session helps clean out alott of the Salts from the Corrosive stuff, but it's not needed if you clean your Rifle the same Day.

ETT: Anybody that wants to get rid of there Corrosive 7N6 can send it to me, I will despose of it properly for you
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
]

Did i say MILITARY??? No...........you/me are not Military.......we pay $100s for our guns.......

the military uses guns like WE use toilet paper...........they can AFFORD to use corrosive ammo........

US Military bulldozed about 50,000 Tommy Guns into a ditch...........................

we pay $18,000 for a real tommy gun.......................

you missed the entire bloody point............I never mentioned the MILITARY........let them use corrosive ammo....

unless your daddy Warbucks and can burn money for sheets and giggles, a PRIVATE individual doesnt use corrosive ammo "unless theyre a goof"

Corrosive ammo is easy to deal with.   Just properly clean the damn rifle after you shoot it and you'll have no problems.   I keep two bore snakes near my gunsafe for just this purpose.   One is wet with windex and the other with CLP.   After shooting any corrosive ammo I run each of them down the barrel a few times and wipe down the rest of the weapon.   Within the next day or two I pull the rifle out of the safe and look down the bore just to make sure I got it all.   The whole procedure takes about 5 minutes per rifle.

And there's only one reason why we do shoot corrosive ammo and that's because we're not Daddy Warbucks!   Corrosive ammo is cheap, cheap, cheap and the price of non-corrosive ammo is going through the roof.   I can shoot 8mm Mauser for about $0.06 a shot and 7.62x54R for around $0.08.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#48]
If you're talking civilians then corrosive ammo is alot cheaper to shoot than new production shit and if you take care of your firearms there is no reason to worry.  The process I followed with my PSL and M44 Nagant was:

1) Shoot
2) Bring home ( no need to clean at the range usless you'll be a day or so)
3) Spray everything with Windex Ammonia
4) Wipe down and clean as I normally would.

It takes an extra two minutes.  For every case of surplus ammo I buy... I save enough to buy another Nagant rifle vs. if I had bought S&B or Wolf ammo.  So technically I could  buy a new rifle every time I buy another case of ammo.  Why buy Wolf or S&B?  

Food for thought.

CMS
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Where are you guys getting this corrosive ammo?
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Where are you guys getting this corrosive ammo?

theyre getting the ammo from people who know better than to shoot it, but to sell it for profit and buy some non-corrosive ammo.

LOL
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top