Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/10/2007 11:00:47 AM EDT
We've been playing with some new mods and thoght some of you might find them interesting.
To start with, we've moved the bolt handle over to the left-hand side which is where we always thought it should have been to start with for right handers. We have also created 2 different mag releases that can be operated with the trigger finger without changing your grip at all.

We've got videos up although the quality sucks. I had to take them with my cell phone. Until we get better ones, these will have to do. The guns have 3 modifications, 2 of which makes this kind of speed possible. I would imagine that with more practice and building of muscle memory that the time will decrease even more. We've only been able to work on these procedures for the last 3-4 days.

The first 2 are Jason and I both doing a mag change in under 3 seconds. He likes the mag release that pushes downwards and I like the one that pushes forward. We will have both available. You can hear the timer which is set for 3 seconds.

http://www.axcessmypics.com/photos/photo02/c8/7e/4077a818a30c-2.3g2

http://www.axcessmypics.com/photos/photo02/eb/dd/e21ce702b1bf-2.3g2

The next is me doing a complete emergency reload to include a Type I malf clearance before the reload.

http://www.axcessmypics.com/photos/photo02/e5/5f/d9ba84ee6758.3g2

Here is a still of the release that Jason prefers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Desertscout1/ASTEC/IMG_leverrelease.jpg

Here is the one I like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Desertscout1/ASTEC/IMG_pushrelease.jpg
Link Posted: 5/10/2007 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry for the links, or lack of. I've never posted here before and haven't figured oput how to post a link properly yet. You'll have to  copy and paste the links if you're interested.
Link Posted: 5/10/2007 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/10/2007 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for doing that for me, ray! I'll try to get some more pics up tonite.
Link Posted: 5/10/2007 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I was just thinking about this very thing a week ago... about the bolt handle being on the other side.
Link Posted: 5/11/2007 4:15:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks cool.

Btw, stop being such a postwhore
Link Posted: 5/11/2007 5:28:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I want to see how you changed the bolt handle to the left side????
Link Posted: 5/11/2007 5:38:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I want to see how you changed the bolt handle to the left side????

+1
Link Posted: 5/11/2007 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
Looks cool.

Btw, stop being such a postwhore hat,
I'll get pics up this weekend of the bolt carrier
Link Posted: 5/12/2007 6:11:51 AM EDT
[#9]
A post whore is someone who posts a lot, usually useless stuff just to raise their post count. He was joking because you are the opposite.

The mods seem to work well.

I am interested in seeing the carrier modification also.

By the way, Jason's hat cracks me up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2007 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
A post whore is someone who posts a lot, usually useless stuff just to raise their post count. He was joking because you are the opposite.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I hadn't ever heard the term before and had no idea.

height=8
The mods seem to work well.

I am interested in seeing the carrier modification also.

Our mods have changed my whole attitude toward the AK in less than a month. I have NEVER had any notion of getting one or even shooting them very much until we changed things around. Now, I have pretty much forsaken my SKS's and have almost become obsessed with our new AK's. The speed at which we can operate them now rivals any rifle on the market. We're taking 4 of them to Front Sight next weekend to put them through a 4-day Practical Rifle class and see how they do.

height=8
By the way, Jason's hat cracks me up. That damn hat of his gets more comments from folks. It would drive me up the wall but I guess he likes the recognition, I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#11]
THESE ARE A COUPLE OF MODS IVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT.

THIS IS GOING TO MAKE ME GO FORWARD NOW.

THANKS GUYS GREAT JOB.

WONDER WHY THE RUSSIANS NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
THESE ARE A COUPLE OF MODS IVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT.
THIS IS GOING TO MAKE ME GO FORWARD NOW.
THANKS GUYS GREAT JOB.
WONDER WHY THE RUSSIANS NEVER THOUGHT OF THAThy
"Do you know how many internet etiquette laws you are breaking by typing in all caps?

One.  Don't type in all caps."

And to the OP: A left-side bolt handle seems sweet indeed.  Doesn't look like much would change except the carrier and dust cover.  (Looks around for a hacksaw and some JB Weld )
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#13]
The Polish don't need any mods...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RgH6tHgyvY
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
The Polish don't need any mods... hock.gif

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RgH6tHgyvY

No, they don't need them if they are satisfied with the speed that they are operating. They are too slow for our liking. Ours is more than 25% faster.
Link Posted: 5/15/2007 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Quoted:

And to the OP: A left-side bolt handle seems sweet indeed.  Doesn't look like much would change except the carrier and dust cover.  (Looks around for a hacksaw and some JB Weld here
Here's a rear angle shot of the bolt handle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Desertscout1/ASTEC/IMG_LSbolthandle.jpg

And the top
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Desertscout1/ASTEC/IMG_AKtop.jpg

Shortened safety operates with trigger finger and allows you to chamber a round with the safety engaged.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Desertscout1/ASTEC/IMG_Shortenedsafety.jpg

Safety also acts as BHOD
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Desertscout1/ASTEC/IMG_AKBHOD.jpg
Link Posted: 5/15/2007 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Why not figure out the proper way to run the gun, rather than hacking the gun to make it fit another set of TTP's?
Link Posted: 5/15/2007 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:
Why not figure out the proper way to run the gun, rather than hacking the gun to make it fit another set of TTP's?

Why do people put extended safeties on 1911's?
Why do people do grip reductions on Glocks?
Why do people put tac latches onAR's?
I'll tell you why. The same reason a dog licks his balls. Because they're his and he can.I don't like the way it's run. When there are things I don't like on a gun, I change it. We just got these the way we want them about 2 weeks ago and we have orders for 4 of them already without doing any advertising at all. That works for me, being a small shop and all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2007 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#18]
The charging handle on the right side is quite nice for those individuals who use single point slings - no charging handle in the balls for them.

A simple replacement of the factory selector/safety witha BJB SWIFT will make that issue go away. Failing that bending the lever out a bit to loosen tension will usually do the trick.

You fellas doing these interesting mods - have any of you ever had AK specific training?
Link Posted: 5/16/2007 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Why do people do grip reductions on Glocks?

To get to the other side?  

Actually, it's so that my stumpy fingers can get around the thing comfortably.

But yup - you want to work something over to make it more useful and personal for you, have at it!   Looks like you've got some pretty darned good mods there, I'll say!
Link Posted: 5/16/2007 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
To get to the other side?

LOL!
Thanks, Gunhobbit
Link Posted: 5/17/2007 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Will be interested to hear how they do at Frontsight; if the mods hold up to a few thousand rounds. And BTY, next time someone criticizes you for mucking with something, remind them that we're all pretty happy about the Wright Brothers turning a bicycle into a f***ing airplane when the bicycle worked just fine.
Link Posted: 5/17/2007 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Amazing modifications man.

I like the safety.

ETA: I just noticed the charging handle is a piston.
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I just walked in from FS and the gun was a dream to operate. In the skills test at the end of the class, I got the 2nd highest score out of about 30 people and I won the man-on-man contest by shooting 2 steel targets in 1.05 seconds from 50 yards. Before that I shot 1 target in .86 seconds at 50 yds, both from the ready position with stock shouldered but barrel pointing at ground about 3 feet below the targets.
When clearing Type III malfunctions, I was able to clear the malf and get a shot off approximately 2.5 seconds before the next closest shot was fired.
I run 1000 rounds through it without cleaning anything.

Something that we need to fix are the left side bottom of the trigger guard digs into my second knuckle on my middle finger pretty bad. I think we'll either cut that part of the guard out or roll the edge up on future models.  

Other than that, it ran flawlessly and, as usual, I had a blast.
Link Posted: 5/26/2007 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Good ideas regardless of the wha! wah! Thankyou for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2007 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Those are so very useful looking mods.
Link Posted: 5/27/2007 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#26]
is that a cetme/hk selector  you got on the mag release LOL

if it works for you,,have fun.. now you just need top covers to match so you dont have the action open to all the elements. not that it would hurt an AK or nuttin  LOL
Link Posted: 5/27/2007 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Theres a few AMBI mag releases out there, I have one on a mak 90, no real modification, just drill 2 holes and rivet it on, Its removable and works great.

Its kinda funny about a year or so ago, a guy put the charging handle on his AK on the top and got roasted by the majority of people on here. This guy does it and get praised. But then again. I used to get roasted for having VEPRs......Not they are recognised as the most accurate and one of the most sought after AKs there is, Now if they would just charge normal prices for them.

To the original poster, Are you a dealer? Because, if you are, for future reference, You have to be a paying dealer to peddle your goods and services around these boards. many people pay good money to advertise here because its one of the biggest gun sites on the net. And its not fair to them for people to advertise for free.
Link Posted: 5/27/2007 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#28]
A couple of things for you to think about.
1. I really couldn't care less what anyone here thinks about our mods. I posted it as an FYI. Some will like it and some will not.

height=8
Its kinda funny about a year or so ago, a guy put the charging handle on his AK on the top and got roasted by the majority of people on here. This guy does it and get praised.
No, "this guy" didn't do IT. I put it on the other side, not on top.

height=8
To the original poster, Are you a dealer? Because, if you are, for future reference, You have to be a paying dealer to peddle your goods and services around these boards. many people pay good money to advertise here because its one of the biggest gun sites on the net. And its not fair to them for people to advertise for free

Yes, I am a dealer but I am not violating forum rules. I'm not trying to peddle anything, I just put it out there. I never made any mention of selling or dealing and it probably never would have come up had you not mentioned it.

Link Posted: 5/27/2007 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#29]
we're all pretty happy about the Wright Brothers turning a bicycle into a f***ing airplane when the bicycle worked just fine.

+1, amen.  I might not make the same choices as the OP, but good on him for trying to innovate.

Personally I've always like the Israeli solution to the charging handle

jm
Link Posted: 5/28/2007 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
1. I really couldn't care less what anyone here thinks about our mods. I posted it as an FYI. Some will like it and some will not.

Its kinda funny about a year or so ago, a guy put the charging handle on his AK on the top and got roasted by the majority of people on here. This guy does it and get praised.

First off chill out stupud hat. I was referring to how a guy modded the charging handle of an AK and got roasted for it. and then you mod one and got praised. it was no attack on you. But I guess you have some kind of issue with being like someone else. Thats why you wear that stupid hat. I guess your parents didnt hug you enough when you were a kid.

To the original poster, Are you a dealer? Because, if you are, for future reference, You have to be a paying dealer to peddle your goods and services around these boards. many people pay good money to advertise here because its one of the biggest gun sites on the net. And its not fair to them for people to advertise for free

Yes, I am a dealer but I am not violating forum rules. I'm not trying to peddle anything, I just put it out there. I never made any mention of selling or dealing and it probably never would have come up had you not mentioned it.

Your right you did just pit it out there, Which in other words you advertised it.

By coming in here stating stuff like "We have these mods" and "We have already taken orders on a few" or however you phrased it. In a roundabout way, you did advertise. thats like me coming in here and saying, Hey guys I am stocking SAM5s now just incase anybody needs any you can IM me about it.

I was just trying to pass on some friendly advise. Incase you didnt know, But it seems that you did know, since you have apparently, already read the rules and knew you werent allowed to advertise your company, So you tried to do it in a roundabout way, and got called on it. Now your all pissy probably because your new AK mods....are yesterdays news, The bolt changover has been done again and again. and the extended mag release is already mass produced by...red star arms
Link Posted: 5/28/2007 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow, a lot of animosity towards someone who was just showing off a modification.  He never said "call us to get the work done" or "the price is $xxx".

And BTW, the piston handle is cool!  
Link Posted: 5/28/2007 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#32]
1. The AK mods are interesting.
2. The Wright Bros. quote is hilarious.
       -Thx Gabriel_30
3. Bodydropper applies a smackdown!
       -it would be hard to hug a little kid with that hat on!
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 7:26:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I have no problem with anyone "safely" modding their weapons to better suit their purpose.

Me..... I bought a AK because I wanted to play with an AK. Not a hybrid. If I want a faster more refined more accurate system, then I grab my M4. That is how "I" work and if anyone dosen't like it, tough nuggies. ;)

I have started training with an AK because this expands my skillset with another weapon I can "pickup" and effectively employ. Modding it to a unique manual of arms that dosent apply to any other weapon (unless similarly modified) is counter productive to MY goals. I simply adapt to the weapons shortcomings and overcome them.

Now if I was bound and determined to compete with an AK, then some of these mods would be very useful.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First off chill out stupud hat. I was referring to how a guy modded the charging handle of an AK and got roasted for it. and then you mod one and got praised. it was no attack on you. But I guess you have some kind of issue with being like someone else. Thats why you wear that stupid hat. I guess your parents didnt hug you enough when you were a kid.

Your right you did just pit it out there, Which in other words you advertised it.

By coming in here stating stuff like "We have these mods" and "We have already taken orders on a few" or however you phrased it. In a roundabout way, you did advertise. thats like me coming in here and saying, Hey guys I am stocking SAM5s now just incase anybody needs any you can IM me about it.

I was just trying to pass on some friendly advise. Incase you didnt know, But it seems that you did know, since you have apparently, already read the rules and knew you werent allowed to advertise your company, So you tried to do it in a roundabout way, and got called on it. Now your all pissy probably because your new AK mods....are yesterdays news, The bolt changover has been done again and again. and the extended mag release is already mass produced by...red star arms

Put down the haterade and chill out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 1:35:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Amazing modifications man.

I like the safety.

ETA: I just noticed the charging handle is a piston.

I just noticed that it's a ak-47 rifle man.

ETA; desertscout try posting all this on akforum.net. 762bodydropper isn't allowed to post there....
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top