Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/10/2024 7:36:01 PM EDT
I have bent 2 punches trying to get the bolt pins out of my Zastava ZPAP M70 bolt and they haven't even moved a nanometer. My Romy AK is not even close to this much of an issue, I just punch them out.
What can I do?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy or make a starter pin punch.
This is just a standard punch cut off to about 1/2 inch working length.  This prevents the punch from bending or flexing.
Often a nail set with the end stoned flat will work.

When you get a really tight pin don't just keep pounding on it, that can deform the pin and lock it even tighter in place.
Get the part in a FIRM no bounce-no move setup.
Normal benches will allow bouncing, so I've often done pin removal on a concrete floor with a pad of newspaper to prevent scratching.
Have a buddy help hold it in place if necessary.
Use the starter pin punch to get the pin moving out, then go to a longer punch.
If needed use a bench block with a hole to pass the pin.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I had to buy a surplus cleaning kit with a yugo pin punch. I'd bent my other punches too.  Those bastards are in there tight.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Why are you trying to remove them?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:46:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cayman_shen:
I had to buy a surplus cleaning kit with a yugo pin punch. I'd bent my other punches too.  Those bastards are in there tight.
View Quote

I used a surplus punch too, it didn't bend but it also didn't get it to move
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:54:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zealotmake] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
Buy or make a starter pin punch.
This is just a standard punch cut off to about 1/2 inch working length.  This prevents the punch from bending or flexing.
Often a nail set with the end stoned flat will work.

When you get a really tight pin don't just keep pounding on it, that can deform the pin and lock it even tighter in place.
Get the part in a FIRM no bounce-no move setup.
Normal benches will allow bouncing, so I've often done pin removal on a concrete floor with a pad of newspaper to prevent scratching.
Have a buddy help hold it in place if necessary.
Use the starter pin punch to get the pin moving out, then go to a longer punch.
If needed use a bench block with a hole to pass the pin.
View Quote

We had also used a drill bit that could work as a starter punch, the pin didn't give. We even had it in an armorers block so it wouldn't move or wiggle :c
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, you're sort of up excrement tributary without a manual propulsion device.

Try soaking in Kroil and if you can get to the other side try punching from that one.
Otherwise it's just a matter of holding it very firmly and using a strong starter punch and a larger hammer to give more mass impact on the pins.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top