Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/18/2008 7:56:30 AM EDT
I went to the range yesterday with two 10-round Saiga-12 magazines from AGP Arms, Inc. (manufactured in Arizona).  They were loaded with Winchester 2 3/4-inch one-ounce slugs (1600 FPS velocity).  Temperature was 32 degrees fahrenheit.  

Both magazines ripped off their front lips with the first shot from each magazine.  The picture shows the two damaged magazines and the pieces that the front lips shattered into.  

I reverted to the Saiga-brand 4-round magazines and had no more trouble.  I wasn't interested in the 20-round drums until these 10-round magazines failed!  Time to try the drums!

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee135/Bicycles_bucket/HPIM0095.jpg
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF  Hopefully these are covered under warranty.
Are there any other people who have the same issues with these mags?
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, that's too bad.  This is the first negative I've heard about these mags.   Let us know how their customer service treats you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
They look like perfect candidates for a mag-well conversion!

buckmeister
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#4]
wow, I've never had a problem with my two mags!!! that's flippin' weird!
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I've read a lot of problems about these mags over at Saiga 12 forum.

I see a lot of positive post about them too.  But for a mag that cost 50 bucks+, they should be atleast 98% reliable.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I sent an email with the pic to AGP Arms and received this response within an hour:

"The problem you have encountered has nothing to do with temperature. It is a problem that is isolated to a certain batch of mags we had molded. It’s a long complicated story as to what is wrong with them but rest assured it is an isolated batch that we have disposed of. Someone at the molding plant was fired over it if that makes you feel any better. If you would send me your address I’d like to send you out two new bodies today. I think once you have tested these all your reservations pertaining to our quality will be put to rest."

I'm very impressed with the professionalism of the response from AGP Arms and I look forward to testing the replacements.  I'd rather not support Wraithmaker and the 20-round drum, lest the Saiga 12 platform go the way of the StreetSweeper.  So if these 10-rounders work, they are enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I sent an email with the pic to AGP Arms and received this response within an hour:

"The problem you have encountered has nothing to do with temperature. It is a problem that is isolated to a certain batch of mags we had molded. It’s a long complicated story as to what is wrong with them but rest assured it is an isolated batch that we have disposed of. Someone at the molding plant was fired over it if that makes you feel any better. If you would send me your address I’d like to send you out two new bodies today. I think once you have tested these all your reservations pertaining to our quality will be put to rest."

I'm very impressed with the professionalism of the response from AGP Arms and I look forward to testing the replacements.  I'd rather not support Wraithmaker and the 20-round drum, lest the Saiga 12 platform go the way of the StreetSweeper.  So if these 10-rounders work, they are enough for me.

Not very professional to me.  

Glad they warrantied the mags though
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Your shotgun wont be declared A DD, get over it.
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 2:45:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

OK, help me put my mind at ease.  Why not?
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 7:24:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think since the magazine is not permenently attached like it is on the street sweeper it will not. They would probly just outlaw the drums...
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#13]
AGP sent replacements to me by UPS.  They are labeled "Gen 2."  It only took me a few minutes to figure out how to transfer the spring, base plate and follower from the old broken magazines to the new ones.  I will test them as soon as I recover from this ghastly flu.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Got plans for the broken mags?

buckmeister
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because Clinton is not in office to order ATF to do so...

There is no magic-mag number...

It was just Bill saying 'I want that banned'...

Conceivably, the wrong president could DD all semi-auto shotguns by having ATF declare that SA = non sporting...

Sporting Purposes SUCKS...
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think since the magazine is not permenently attached like it is on the street sweeper it will not. They would probly just outlaw the drums...

What about the USAS-12? They didn't just outlaw the drums, they made the whole gun a destructive device.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 5:13:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sporting Purposes SUCKS...

Unless hunting traitors is considered a sport!

I got out my "Constitution and Bill of Rights for Dummies" and can't find Sporting Purpose mentioned anywhere. I did read that the white crossed belts against the British red coats made good aiming points.

Oppression is a sport played by the powerful using the powerless as tools for gain.

buckmeister
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top