BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/9/2007 2:10:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I was thinking about it.  What is the cost/process?

Edited for punctuation
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Got one last year.

25~ish days
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
What's the benefit of having a FL permit if you live out of state? Lots of states with reciprocal agreements?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What's the benefit of having a FL permit if you live out of state? Lots of states with reciprocal agreements?

honored by 30ish states.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, they are signed by the FL Commissioner of Agriculture, who's name is Charles Bronson!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited for punctuation

1) Need proof of training (NRA pistol course, military training, etc...)

2) Get fingerprints from local LEO

3) Passport pics from CVS or such

4) Fill out the application

5) $117 for processing, permit is good for 5yrs.

licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

would a copy of my SC CWP be sufficient for proof of training?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited for punctuation

I don't believe so.

You need a DD214 from the military or a actual NRA safety class or something along those lines.  Check out packing.org for the actual requirements.

Edit to clarify training.  FL wants actual certified safety/pistol training.  All the SC "class" did for us is for legal requirements and such.  I didn't receive any safety or gun handeling training when I went through my CWP class.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I wanna say mine took around a month mailbox-to-mailbox.  

Trust me, when you get it and look at all the states you can carry in its priceless!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My uncle did.
Took his 2-3 weeks to come back approved.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Florida requires NRA training course or approved hunter safety course. DD214 counts as well.

I got mine before electronic prints were done. Took nearly 75 days.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Check out packing.org for the actual requirements.

It no longer exists. The owner just packed up and quit.

That sucks. It was a really good site.  Didn't go there too often, but I guess that shows.
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Check out packing.org for the actual requirements.

It no longer exists. The owner just packed up and quit.

That sucks. It was a really good site.  Didn't go there too often, but I guess that shows.

Yeah, it is kind of weird. I guess the guy just shut it down and walked away, didn't try and sell it or anything, just gone.

He's in law school and doesn't have time for it from what I understand. May be that when he graduates he'll re-open and might be the reason he didn't sell it. For now you can try Handgunlaws it's been staying up to date. You can see the last time it was updated at the top of the page.
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#19]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/13/2007 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's in law school and doesn't have time for it from what I understand. May be that when he graduates he'll re-open and might be the reason he didn't sell it. For now you can try Handgunlaws it's been staying up to date. You can see the last time it was updated at the top of the page.

That was the story I heard as well.

Thanks for the link. I have bookmarked it.

+1

Link Posted: 10/14/2007 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I was planning on getting one but now I'm moving to Tampa so I'll just wait and get one as a resident.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I know when I moved here 4 or 5 years ago that my IN permitt was Valid here in FL.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Florida requires NRA training course or approved hunter safety course. DD214 counts as well.

When I got my FL permitt! All I had to do is fill out the papers

No school/training I showed them my IN. permitt

I guess that was good enough
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Anyone know if Utah still gives a non-resident CCW?

Edit:  ^ That's a quote that didn't come out right.

I just took a training course six days ago.  I can apply for FL non-res, UT non-res, or MO resident.  The Utah one is $65, good for 5 years, $10 renewal.  Missouri is $100, good for 3 years, $50 renewal.
Of course I was going to apply for the Utah, but then the instructor said it will be a 3 to 6 month wait.  They are supposed to turn them around in 60 days but apparently they're backlogged because of popularity.
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Got my FL permit approved in 12 days.
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I just took a training course six days ago.  I can apply for FL non-res, UT non-res, or MO resident.  The Utah one is $65, good for 5 years, $10 renewal.  Missouri is $100, good for 3 years, $50 renewal.
Of course I was going to apply for the Utah, but then the instructor said it will be a 3 to 6 month wait.  They are supposed to turn them around in 60 days but apparently they're backlogged because of popularity.

Yes they do...Why don't you just get your MO permit. It is valid in several other states.
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Alabama has a reciprocal agreement with Florida and quiet a few other states, I don't remember all of them, I know it's in the home town forum.
Reading all this makes me feel good about our pistol permit (CCW) costs and reciprocal agreements. In Jefferson County it costs $7 a year.
I think the County Sheriff sets the cost. You get it in your County but it covers the entire state.

Link Posted: 11/13/2007 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I just sent off for it last saturday.  Thanks for the info.  I assume you didn't do the electronic finger print?
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#32]
height=8
Quoted:
<Update>

Permit arrived in the mail today.

Total turnaround time was 34 days.

I am on day 102 of waiting for my MS resident ccw.  Only 18 days to go
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alabama has a reciprocal agreement with Florida and quiet a few other states, I don't remember all of them, I know it's in the home town forum.
Reading all this makes me feel good about our pistol permit (CCW) costs and reciprocal agreements. In Jefferson County it costs $7 a year.
I think the County Sheriff sets the cost. You get it in your County but it covers the entire state.

From www.handgunlaw.us, here are the states that honor an AL permit:

Link Posted: 11/14/2007 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I was planning on getting one but now I'm moving to Tampa so I'll just wait and get one as a resident.

The only difference you'll see is the address on the permit.  Other than that they are identical.

There really is no such thing as a non-resident permit.  It's a Florida permit, issued to someone that has a non-Florida address.
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited for punctuation

I don't believe so.

You need a DD214 from the military or a actual NRA safety class or something along those lines.  Check out packing.org for the actual requirements.

Edit to clarify training.  FL wants actual certified safety/pistol training.  All the SC "class" did for us is for legal requirements and such.  I didn't receive any safety or gun handeling training when I went through my CWP class.

Don't tell SLED, since both are reqirements of the 8 hour course. I am an instructor BTW. Where did you take the class?
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I have the Florida Permit which I've renewed various times I know its good in a couple of states besides Florida My question is how many more permits do I need to get to cover the fifty states and can these be obtained through the mail ?
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I have the Florida Permit which I've renewed various times I know its good in a couple of states besides Florida My question is how many more permits do I need to get to cover the fifty states and can these be obtained through the mail ?

You will never get enough permits to cover all 50 states, as IL and WI do not issue permits, resident or otherwise.  NJ Issues, but only to the well politically connected types, and even then they will not honor any other state issued permits.  Hell the NJSP have been known to detain federal agents when it is discovered they are carrying firearms.  So the way I see it, the only way to be covered in all 50 states is to get a job with one of the alphabet soup agencies.
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Would a current form showing I'm currently qualified with a pistol in the USCG be good enough?

CG-3029 (Small Arms Record Firing Report) is good enough for TX, what about FL?

ETA: Whoops, just checked. Apparently FL accepts a copy of my .mil ID, I don't even need to be currently qualified on a pistol!  (even though I am)
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#41]
height=8
Quoted:

so if i took a hunters safety course here here in geogia that would be considered training if i showed them a copy of my card????
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#42]
sorry double post sattelites goin out
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so if i took a hunters safety course here here in geogia that would be considered training if i showed them a copy of my card????

Yup.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 2:17:49 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you can max out at like 42 states, and that is if you live in a banned state like NY or NJ and have a valid permit and then apply for all the non-resident permits you can. You can not get a IL, WI, and HI permit for sure.

Could you even do that? Because I was looking at some state reciprocity and saw some say that they honor other state's permits as long as you're a resident. So although Michigan honors Florida permits, it does not honor a Florida permit if you're not a Florida resident.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 5:53:03 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes they do...Why don't you just get your MO permit. It is valid in several other states.

I also just applied for a Florida non-resident CCW. Reasons not to get a Missouri CCW:
1. They don’t except Military training have to pay $60 to $100 for a course.
2. Your permit goes on your driving record. You get pulled over the cop runs your                  licenses and it comes up you are CCW.
3. Good for only 3 years.
I love my state but I’ve got far more training in Pistols in the military then I will ever get in a course on CCW. I don’t want every cop who looks at my driving records to know I have a permit. Not cop bashing it is based on a need to know they don’t need to know.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#46]
almost 2 months to the day.  not too bad.  and a valuable license to have.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 6:14:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only difference you'll see is the address on the permit.  Other than that they are identical.

There really is no such thing as a non-resident permit.  It's a Florida permit, issued to someone that has a non-Florida address. residency

Thats more accurate. I have a FL address but I am not a resident - as already noted MI and few other states can get shitty on that distinction.

I hafta say FL keeps looking more and more appealing (from a residency standpoint) as I get older.

Luck
Alac

Link Posted: 12/17/2007 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#49]
FWIW, you can get NH for about $20 with a copy of your DL and CCW.  Took about 30 days.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#50]
My local PD didnt fill out one box on my finger print card.  I got the card back in the mail from FL dept of ag with it highlighted.  It took them 3 weeks to get it back to me.  It has been almost 3 weeks since I mailed it back completed.  I am looking to see my permit any day now... hopefully.

In retrospect, I wish they could have simply called me and asked who did my finger printing.  I didn't even need to go back to the PD, the instructions said I could fill it out myself if it was a law enforcement office who did the finger printing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top