BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2011 12:26:46 PM EDT
My Range Report:

Pros:

- 500rnds = 100% out of box reliability
- Trigger lighter and smoother
- Perceived recoil smoother.  Just noticeable difference!
- RTF has more grip than skateboard tape (95 F with 90% humidity)
- Rougher phosphate slide finish much easier to grip.  (Teflan kitchen pan type finish on my gen 3 always led to slippery grip)
- Magazine release is awesomesauce! Good improvement!
- TLR-1 weapon light attached to rail for 500rnd session gave no problems.

Neutral:

-Without backstraps, grip feels smaller than SF Gen 3.  A positive for those wanting the G21 to feel more like a G22.  

For me, shooting without backstrap, with a smaller grip, has me shifting POI horizontally.  I will either familiarize and train to the grip, or add the medium size backstrap that will put the grip to regular Gen 3 21 size.  (The grip size that somehow makes accuracy effortless for me with a Gen 3)

- Phosphate finish looks like it will scratch and wear easier than the teflon pan finish.  I was sliding it around my work bench and noticed some faint scratches.  

Cons:

- Backstaps mount with a single push through pin.  (Might need blue loctite if a backstrap is used)  Initial thoughts are that the backstrap mounting method is chincy.

Conclusion:

So there you have it from my perspective.  I think this was a good buy and improvement over my Gen 3 G21 that I have been duty carrying for 8 years.  The Gen 4 will be in my holster on my next shift.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc313/Belt_Fed_Red/G21Gen4.jpg
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It is next on my wish list of pistols.  Just bought the wife a house so it might be on the backburner for a month or so.  Thanks for the range report.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking my next Glock will be a 21 Gen4, that is unless I can find a deal on a 19 RTF2.  I really like the magazine release on the Gen4, other than that, none of the "improvements" really do anything for me, at least not over the RTF2.  I don't care for the afterthought backstraps, luckily all the Gen4 guns I have tried were best for me without any of the straps installed.  I am sure that will be true of the 21 also.  

My department issues the Glock 22 Gen4 to patrol (except for me, I asked for a 23 instead and since we made the switch this time last year the Gen4 23 wasn't yet available, so I got a RTF2 23 instead).  We haven't really had any issues with the Gen4 guns, except one self-destructing guide rod/recoil spring assembly that happened with the 3rd round fired in a brand new pistol.  The backstraps seem to stay put for the folks that use them.

Now, if I could just get the chief to let me carry a G21 I would be thrilled.

Thanks for the report!

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks...can't wait to get mine.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, the backstrap shouldnt move around. Mine doesnt. The way it mounts into the groove on the grip keeps it from moving and I havent seen the pin moving around. its been gtg for the last 5 months of everyday carry, presentation drills, dryfire practice, range time. Everything's solid
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Does it use the double recoil spring setup?

Quoted:
My Range Report:

Pros:

- 500rnds = 100% out of box reliability
- Trigger lighter and smoother
- Perceived recoil smoother.  Just noticeable difference!
- RTF has more grip than skateboard tape (95 F with 90% humidity)
- Rougher phosphate slide finish much easier to grip.  (Teflan kitchen pan type finish on my gen 3 always led to slippery grip)
- Magazine release is awesomesauce! Good improvement!
- TLR-1 weapon light attached to rail for 500rnd session gave no problems.

Neutral:

-Without backstraps, grip feels smaller than SF Gen 3.  A positive for those wanting the G21 to feel more like a G22.  

For me, shooting without backstrap, with a smaller grip, has me shifting POI horizontally.  I will either familiarize and train to the grip, or add the medium size backstrap that will put the grip to regular Gen 3 21 size.  (The grip size that somehow makes accuracy effortless for me with a Gen 3)

- Phosphate finish looks like it will scratch and wear easier than the teflon pan finish.  I was sliding it around my work bench and noticed some faint scratches.  

Cons:

- Backstaps mount with a single push through pin.  (Might need blue loctite if a backstrap is used)  Initial thoughts are that the backstrap mounting method is chincy.

Conclusion:

So there you have it from my perspective.  I think this was a good buy and improvement over my Gen 3 G21 that I have been duty carrying for 8 years.  The Gen 4 will be in my holster on my next shift.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc313/Belt_Fed_Red/G21Gen4.jpg

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Without backstraps, grip feels smaller than SF Gen 3. A positive for those wanting the G21 to feel more like a G22.

I wonder if the 4th Gen 21SF will be even smaller than the Gen 3 21SF?
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#7]
When will these be hitting the shelves?

My dad is on the fence about whether to give me his G21 or buy me a new one. I'd prefer it if he bought himself one of these, since his fingers are short and stubby. The G21SF is still a wee bit big for his hands.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Without backstraps, grip feels smaller than SF Gen 3. A positive for those wanting the G21 to feel more like a G22.

They will not be making a Gen 4 21SF.  The interchangeable backstraps are supposed to replace the SF frame.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When will these be hitting the shelves?

My dad is on the fence about whether to give me his G21 or buy me a new one. I'd prefer it if he bought himself one of these, since his fingers are short and stubby. The G21SF is still a wee bit big for his hands.

+1
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#10]
When will these be available?
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will not be making a Gen 4 21SF.  The interchangeable backstraps are supposed to replace the SF frame.

The SF and RTF models were testing the waters for the frames later incorporated into the Gen 4. My opinion anyway.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#12]
dammit.

i should have know better than to come here.

just dammit.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
dammit.

i should have know better than to come here.

just dammit.

Tell me about it. I just blew my wad on a 21SF. Oh well, I suscribed to one is none, two is one so my SF can become my back up.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#14]
sweet gun !c mine will either be a 21 gen 4 or a 30 ,does the 30 come in gen 4
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 2:30:02 AM EDT
[#15]
i want one!
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 5:42:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i want one!

Ditto.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone seen one for sale yet? Any clue when they will be released to the public?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top