Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2005 12:42:32 PM EDT
Are there any technical advantages between the newer Glocks and older ones?

For what reason if any would somebody want a 1st or 2nd generation over a newer 3rd generation model?

I have a G17 without the finger grooves on the grip.  How can I tell what generation it is?  I bought this one in 1991.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I personall would want the 3rd gen for the light rail.  Some people can't stand the finger grooves though and will go with gen 2 dispite the absence of the rail.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]
So is the only thing that has changed from each generation is the grip of frame (as seen in the pictures - thanks for posting them dep!!!)?

Although I completely buy into the philosophy that "if it ain't broken, then don't fix it", I find it difficult to imagine that Glock hasn't made any changes to their internal components in the 20 years that the G17 has been out.  Surely they've made some changes, whether some people believe it for the better or worse... right?

IIRC, way back when sometime, I sent my G17 to Glock for a recall where they updated certain parts in it.

Link Posted: 5/3/2005 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, there have been some changes beyond the obvious frame differences.

I think these parts were the ones you are remembering.  AFAIK, only the very early pistols needed that upgrade.
   * Trigger w/Trigger Bar
   * Extractor
   * Firing Pin
   * Firing Pin Safety
   * Firing Pin Safety Spring
   * Spring Loaded Bearing

Also, later frames have three pins while early frames had only two.  The current extractors function as loaded chamber indicators; the earlier ones did not.  The slide finishes have changed slightly (3 times I think, from a "parkerized-type" to the current "teflon-lookalike" finish).

There might be other changes that I've never heard about.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes, there have been some changes beyond the obvious frame differences.

I think these parts were the ones you are remembering.  AFAIK, only the very early pistols needed that upgrade.
   * Trigger w/Trigger Bar
   * Extractor
   * Firing Pin
   * Firing Pin Safety
   * Firing Pin Safety Spring
   * Spring Loaded Bearing

glockmeister.com/images/fpuppic.jpg

Also, later frames have three pins while early frames had only two.  The current extractors function as loaded chamber indicators; the earlier ones did not.  The slide finishes have changed slightly (3 times I think, from a "parkerized-type" to the current "teflon-lookalike" finish).

There might be other changes that I've never heard about.

i think that was a small recall with this pic.
Link Posted: 5/4/2005 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Are all Glocks with 3rd-gen style lowers updated to the current parts?  (like chamber loaded indicator/extractor, etc)?    Or did it begin with a certain serial #?
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Another difference is the third Gen has a slant back ejection opening on the slide at the extractor.

My Gen II G19 has a straight out opening. On occasions I get shells ejecting into my forehead. A friend of mine shooting his G21 got a Boo Boo on his forehead. When I saw a bandaid on his forehead, I was laughing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 1:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Are all Glocks with 3rd-gen style lowers updated to the current parts?  (like chamber loaded indicator/extractor, etc)?    Or did it begin with a certain serial #?

Not sure on that.  I'm gonna guess that the earliest 3rd Gens did not have the loaded champer indicators.  My circa 2002 G19 does.  My circa 1998 G26 does not.  They can be upgraded, though (Glockmeister).

I thought of another change.  (AFAIK) The front edge of the barrel hoods use to be cut at 90 deg to the horizontal.  Now they have a slight bevel where the hood slides under the reciver.  My G26 is the old way, my G19 is the newer way.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 2:11:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Newest third gen 9mms are 3 pin frames (like .40 and .357s) where as all the other early 9mm frames were 2 pins.  I don't think Glock had problems with the 2 pin I think they just did it to keep many more parts the same.  

Rear frame rail lengths have also changed over the years.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 2:27:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Early Glock 17s have their own pequliar quirks.

My 17 was purchased "brand-new" in 1986 for $279 and came, as most did, with a weak slide-release/lock spring which it still has as I have not sent it back to Glock for modification.

When last round is fired and slide-release/lock engages, ANY shaking or movement of the pistol CAN and DOES cause the slide to slam forward, returning to an "in-battery" condition.

However it does have it's advantages once one is aware of the condition. Carefull handling of the pistol means that one can eject the spent magazine and the very RAMMING of the loaded mag into the frame will cause the slide release/lock to disengage and return to battery "fully-loaded" w/ round in the chamber, (no actuation of the slide release/lock required).

Most LEO agencies are aware of this quirk with early G17s and most do no consider it a safety concern, as it makes tactical reloads very quick.

There is also some additional markings on the slide and barrel of early imports. A small "Phoenix" shows both on the barrel and slide and the SN tag is NOT stainless steel but cheap stamped metal (blued on mine).

All early Glocks came with NDF (non-drop-free) magazines too.....

Mike

ps - with over 9000 rounds through it and no mechanical malfunction issues ever, mine shoots better today than when it was new....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top