Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 9:05:23 AM EDT
I have a quick question:

What happens when you shoot bad factory ammo in your GLOCK? Will the GLOCK just "absorb" the bad ammo or will it kaboom?

When using factory ammo for your GLOCK, how can you tell which is considered "bad"?

Is there a specific brand of ammo that works particular well with GLOCKs?

Anymore tips on how to prevent kaboom with GLOCKs?

Ty.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the Kaboom theory with Glocks is a product of internet rumor.  I have shot nothing but factory ammo (All different brands) from my Glock without a single problem, same goes for many friends of mine.  I'm not saying a kaboom can't happen with any gun but I don't think you need to worry about it, just stay away from lead rounds.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had my second gen g21 for 12 years now, firing over 60k rounds,,, all factory, and never, Ever, had a problem!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think the Kaboom theory with Glocks is a product of internet rumor.  I have shot nothing but factory ammo (All different brands) from my Glock without a single problem, same goes for many friends of mine.  I'm not saying a kaboom can't happen with any gun but I don't think you need to worry about it, just stay away from lead rounds.

Yuppers.  What he said.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have a quick question:

What happens when you shoot bad factory ammo in your GLOCK? Will the GLOCK just "absorb" the bad ammo or will it kaboom?

When using factory ammo for your GLOCK, how can you tell which is considered "bad"?

Ty.

Maybe nothing. It depends what you mean by bad. Kabooms are the result of case failure usually caused by an over/ double charge. Anything will suffer catastrophic failure with the wrong cartridge in it. Glocks dont cause KB's no more than trailer parks cause tornadoes. I wouldn't worry about this with good factory name brand ammo (i.e. winchester, federal, CCI, Remington)

Dont fire ammo if you see something wrong such as a split in the case or the bullet set back.

As per Glocks recommendation, you should fire newly manufactured, commercial (made in us), SAAMI, or Nato spec ammo.

The Glock KB thing has been over exaggerated. Keep your pistol clean and lube it per instructions in the manual. Dont over do it, or put oil in the firing pin channel. Follow above ammo recommendations. Dont shoot lead. Dont shoot other peoples reloads. Dont worry, be happy, and shoot.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have fired truck loads of ammo through my 3 glock pistols and have never had a problem of any kind except one caused by after market Scherer mags.  I also know about 50 people that own and regularly shoot their own Glocks I do not know anyone that has personally scene a Glock KB
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a G20 with a bad reload. I know the man personally and when the case failed he knew at the instant what he had done. While reloading he pulled 2 charged cases out of his Dillon 650 to check the charge weight, checked them and put them back in the loader ahead of the powder dump.
The only thing damaged was a bruised hand, ego and the reminder below. He has reloaded thousands of rds with this one mistake. The only factory ammo that I won't use is Federal. They had a quality control problem that was linked to several Glocks(and others) with case failures.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I've also heard that the brand "American Ammo" keeps kabooming with GLOCKs, is this true?

What happens if I fire ammunition that is roughly 10-20 years old? I have some factory ammo in my basement dating back from 1980, are those ok?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've also heard that the brand "American Ammo" keeps kabooming with GLOCKs, is this true?

American Eagle is owned by Federal.

keeps kabooming with GLOCKs

It's not just Glocks, but with close to 3 million out in the market if one has a case failure more people will hear about it.

What if I fire ammunition that is roughly 10-20 years old

It might be ok but, to me personally,  is it worth $15 for a box of ammo to take the chance? Nope
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What happens if I fire ammunition that is roughly 10-20 years old? I have some factory ammo in my basement dating back from 1980, are those ok?

Thanks again.

I would have to say there is a ton of surplus military ammo that is at least this old and probably more like 40-50 years.  IMHO, any ammo that has been manufactured now is good for 40-50 years.  A lot of the military surplus you can buy today is about 20 years old.  Fire when ready IMO.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have a quick question:

Ty.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

American Eagle is owned by Federal.

keeps kabooming with GLOCKs

It's not just Glocks, but with close to 3 million out in the market if one has a case failure more people will hear about it.

What if I fire ammunition that is roughly 10-20 years old

It might be ok but, to me personally,  is it worth $15 for a box of ammo to take the chance? Nope

There American Eagle ammo made by Federal and then there is American Amunition.
Stay away from American Ammunition in all your guns!!! AA has very poor to no quality control. Powder loads can be anywhere from double to none at all.

Before I knew better, I tried some and found multiple rounds with no powder. The famouse Glock Hater kaboom website guy had AA blow up his gun.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Here is a G20 with a bad reload. I know the man personally and when the case failed he knew at the instant what he had done. While reloading he pulled 2 charged cases out of his Dillon 650 to check the charge weight, checked them and put them back in the loader ahead of the powder dump.
The only thing damaged was a bruised hand, ego and the reminder below. He has reloaded thousands of rds with this one mistake. The only factory ammo that I won't use is Federal. They had a quality control problem that was linked to several Glocks(and others) with case failures.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/hotrod9mm/G20-LEFT-1A.jpg

My dad did the same thing after a batch of reloads w/ a Dillon 550 just after he got the press.  It was a 40 S&W.  (Glock 23)  He mostly shoots lead bullets in his 40 which he either casts himself or purchases.  (Not a recommended practice & certainly not one that I adhere to)  Anyway, I was standing by him when I noticed that after he shot there appeared to be dust flying up around his feet.  He's got nerves of steel and didn't notice much had happened until he tried to squeeze off another round.  When it failed to fire- he looked at it and the classic "WTF" syndrome hit him.  Blew the slide plate off, busted the plastic portion of the extractor plunger, sent the extractor into orbit and took a small triangular chunk out of the slide bewteen where the extractor recess and plunger safety cut out is located.  Other than that the frame was fine, mag was fine.

Rather than venturing to replace the small parts that were lost/damaged, we waited and found a complete factory slide assembly @ a gun show.  Slapped it on & he's been up and running ever since.

I'll probably never experience this problem w/ my Glocks as I shoot only factory ammo.  I've never had a problem in many thousands of rounds.  IMHO, it was the fact that the frame was of durable polymer that it wasn't destroyed.  But I've seen a few examples of KB'd Glocks as the one pictured were the frame was broken/cracked.

Sly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top