Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 10:20:26 PM EDT
I picked up a secondhand P226-9mm (My first Sig) a few weeks ago. It wasn't a factory CPO, but was a great deal, barely fired condition, and has proven itself on the range as a good solid shooter.

Now I'm curious as to how old it is, and haven't been able to find any info on determining vintage. The guy at the gun shop didn't have any clue. It came in an original Orange cardboard Box with a white Sig Sauer logo on top and sides (unlike the blue plastic cases that the new models come in). The original manual came with it, but I couldn't find any clues in there either.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Are there really small letters under the front part of the slide?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Now I'm curious as to how old it is, and haven't been able to find any info on determining vintage.

Call SIG and with the serial number they can nail it down for you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are there really small letters under the front part of the slide?

Yes, there are 2 weird little symbols, and under them the letters KB ... If it helps, I can post a pic of the symbols.

I found a clue to rough out it's age ... I just bought one of the Hogue wraparound grip sets, and when I was installing it, the instructions pointed out the Old and New style trigger(which they say started being used in the mid-90's) return spring ... Mine has the Old style spring (i'll be replacing that next).

Anoher thing I discovered ... not sure if it's relevant or not, on the inside of the original grip panels, there is a small circular symbol with "90" in the middle ... around the perimeter of the circle there are 12 lines, and tiny holes are drilled over 7 of those lines on one side, and 2 of those lines on the other side. At first I thought that "90" was the year, and the muber of holes was the month (i.e. July 1990) but couldn't understand why the dates would be different on each side.

Quoted:
Call SIG and with the serial number they can nail it down for you.

That'll be my next step if I can't figure it out here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:  ...the letters KB ...

A 0
B 1
C 2
D 3
E 4
F 5
G 6
H 7
J 8
K 9

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Cool! Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#6]
no numbers on the bottom part of my P229 slide.   only on the side of the frame.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe it is only the German proofed models such as the W.German P226's and P225's that have the date coding on them. For the date of manufacture on other's, you need to call Sig Customer Service with the serial number and they will look it up quickly for you.

Tom
Top Gun Supply
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#8]
ah, thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for posting the translation.  

I did not realize my 226 was so old because I picked it up used in 1996.  Under my slide, it says JE, which would translate to a mfg year of 1984 if the lettering scale is correct.  Also, the last two digits in my serial number are 84.  I picked it up for $200 in '96, and this sweet little 226 has never failed me!  

Here is a photo of my classic in the original box:

Note:  I picked up the mag in the picture the day after the AWB expired from a shop that deals mostly with Law Enforcement!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool, my P228 is a KB also!  If you don't have a German proofed gun, call Sig, they'll be able to tell you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Cool, mine is JK so I guess mine is 1989.

I always wondered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top