Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2008 5:14:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2008 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Was there any evidence of barrel damage in any of these incidents? I bought the P22 kit about 2 nyears ago but usually shoot with the 3" barrel. Is Walther going to recall any of these pistols?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
www.geocities.com/guninstructor357/P22busted.jpg
home.cogeco.ca/~wayne_storage2/IMAGE15.jpg

Hell, google it.

S&W said Walther is working on it. Walther has not responded to my email.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 3:32:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Google it! Great idea hksshooter. Why did'nt I think of that;very helpful. My questions were to the shooters who actually had their slides crack. I'd like to know if this happened only with the 5" barrel and whether there was any damage to the barrel in the chamber area or the feed ramp. Might indicate that the chamber was a little out of spec in combination with some ammo out of spec causing very high presures to build up if the front edge of the case got into the barrel when the gun was fired.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 3:36:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Pot metal wasn't meant for guns.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Google it! Great idea hksshooter. Why did'nt I think of that;very helpful. My questions were to the shooters who actually had their slides crack. I'd like to know if this happened only with the 5" barrel and whether there was any damage to the barrel in the chamber area or the feed ramp. Might indicate that the chamber was a little out of spec in combination with some ammo out of spec causing very high presures to build up if the front edge of the case got into the barrel when the gun was fired.

From what I've read about one 3" gun for every five 5" guns will crack. The extended barrel guns are much more prone to it for whatever reason. Most crack after a huge round count but there are exceptions. One guy claims to have broken one in nine rounds.
As mentioned, pot metal isn't for guns.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]
What I described was just a hunch on my part. There can be catastrophic results even on forged steel guns if their chambers are out of spec.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey I had one crack on me. There was no barrel dammage nor was there feed ramp dammage but the slide rails were pretty messed up.  They were not messed up b4 I went to the range that day.  I had about 600 rounds threw the gun when it broke and it was a 5" model.  S&W did replace the gun after about 3 months of waiting.  They are not issuing a recall at this time.  Apparently they are waiting for someone to get hurt.  I am avoiding all S&W and Walther products due to this event and the way they treated it when I was dealing with them.  I have also had a .357 revolver blow up on me when I was younger that S&W replaced even though  it was not under warrenty either due to manufacturing error.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top