Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2006 8:36:11 PM EDT
Does S&W make any current production target style revolvers?  I'm not looking for a snubbie, I'm looking for at least a 3" barrel with a 6 shot cylinder.  Does it exist?
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 2:22:49 AM EDT
[#1]
No.  The no longer make any 9mm revolvers.

They never made any target style ones, that is if you consider "target style" to include adjustable sights.

The only S&W 9mm revolver that had a 3" or longer barrel was the Model 547.  It was a K-frame based gun for overseas police sales.  It came in 3" round-butt and 4" squarge butt.  There were a couple of unique features, on the 3" the stocks and hammer were parculiar to the 547 only and never used on any other S&W.  Both revolvers used a special extractor that allowed 9mm to be fired without clips, and still extract.  Otherwise they were basically 9mm versions of the M&P or model 10.

I have a 3" M547, and it shoots amazingly well.

Since they haven't been made in years, they go for outrageous prices usually.  

Ruger made their Speed-six/Service-six in 9mm, but used clips, for the same police market.  You can spot them on the used market usually cheaper than the S&W.

Ruger also made the SP-101 in 9mm and had a 3" barrel version.

For some reason, France was big into 9mm revolvers for police use.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 5:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
So you're telling me I want a french gun?  Dude...low blow!

By "target" I guess I meant not a J frame or 2" gun.  Fixed or adjustable sights don't matter.

Do you think there's any way to make a K frame into a 9mm gun by using the 547 cylinder and a 9mm barrel?
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is a 9mm target revolver

My dad told me about this years ago.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So you're telling me I want a french gun?  Dude...low blow!

By "target" I guess I meant not a J frame or 2" gun.  Fixed or adjustable sights don't matter.

Do you think there's any way to make a K frame into a 9mm gun by using the 547 cylinder and a 9mm barrel?

There's no reason you couldn't make one with the right parts, but finding the parts would be the trick.

Buying a base gun, buying the parts, and paying someone who really knew what they were doing to fit it together and get it to work would cost more than just buying one that's for sale on the auction sites, etc.  It would still be a one-off conversion and not collector material either, so the value wouldn't be as high as an original IMO.

You'd be much better off just buying one.  They pop up on the auction sites.  Not cheap, but far cheaper than a build would be.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I posted about converting a 357 into 9mm a few weeks ago and I'm still pursuing it.  I keep hearing it will cost a lot, but a lot of guys spend lots of money customizing 1911, ands SAA replicas, so why not a full size 9mm revo.  

What I found - there is at least 1 barrel maker who makes a barrel blank for a smith 686, but you'd have to find someone to ream it for you.  I can't find anyone who makes a cylinder blank though.  

I did find a guy who makes cylinder blanks for the GP100, but I can't find a barrel for it. I'd rather go in this direction as I already own this gun so i have a place to start.

If you look at my past post one of our kind members posted that a guy in PA will convert your 357 yo 9mm.  I called them and they said they could but it did not include a new barrel, so I was a little weiry about it.

Please let me know if you find anything.  

Lovesbeer99 (but shoots safe)
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I posted about converting a 357 into 9mm a few weeks ago and I'm still pursuing it.  I keep hearing it will cost a lot, but a lot of guys spend lots of money customizing 1911, ands SAA replicas, so why not a full size 9mm revo.  

What I found - there is at least 1 barrel maker who makes a barrel blank for a smith 686, but you'd have to find someone to ream it for you.  I can't find anyone who makes a cylinder blank though.  

I did find a guy who makes cylinder blanks for the GP100, but I can't find a barrel for it. I'd rather go in this direction as I already own this gun so i have a place to start.

If you look at my past post one of our kind members posted that a guy in PA will convert your 357 yo 9mm.  I called them and they said they could but it did not include a new barrel, so I was a little weiry about it.

Please let me know if you find anything.  

Lovesbeer99 (but shoots safe)

I assume any .357 to 9mm conversion would 'recycle' the .357 barrel, similar to how .22LR kits for the AR fire a .221 (22LR) bullet thru a .224 (5.56mm) barrel...
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:56:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I passed 60 and can use that as a excuse for poor memory.  But, I seem to remember someone ordering a S&W 9mm J-frame about a year ago for his customer. I think it was SteyrAUG.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#8]

I'm sure you CAN use a .357 barrel for a 9mm, but I'm not convinced it is an optimal solution.  My goal would be to build a truely custom gun that can drive tacks, and not just a crude revolver.  A .357 is sligthly wider than a 9mm if I'm not mistaken.

I'm sure it can be done, but I'm looking for a true 9mm barrel.  

Enjoy --

Lovesbeer99
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#9]
25.4 millimeters = 1 inch.

.380/38 special is 9.6mm

.357 is smaller than a .380/38 special/9mm

so a 9mm is actually inbetween a .357 and a .380/38 special.  As most revolvers are designed for .357/38 special; using a 9mm is actually not a bad idea.  It's perfectly inbetween so it would actually be the ideal round.

There is no such thing as a True barrel size.  A barrels tolerances are always designed for extra room and when you are dealing with something as small at 6/10th of a millitmeter you will never notice a difference.

If you really want something more precise, then find a pistol that is designed to fire ONLY .380/38 special.  There will not be AS MUCH of an excess in the tolerances as there would be on one designed to fire a smaller round.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
25.4 millimeters = 1 inch.

.380/38 special is 9.6mm

.357 is smaller than a .380/38 special/9mm

Sorry, but 9mm (.355 diameter bullets) is smaller than .357 (.357 diameter bullets).  The smaller bullets will not result in best accuracy when shot in a .357 magnum revolver.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#11]
9mm = .377 inches

9 divided by the conversion factor 25.4

Size of bullet is measure by the actual bullet correct? Not the size of the brass?

a .380 round is also called a 9mm Browning Court, I'd assume thats for a reason.

Note: I don't know shit about handgun rounds or bullets in general, but I do know math.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Note: I don't know shit about handgun rounds or bullets in general, but I do know math.

You said it.....
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#14]
It can be done and I'm sure that many smiths would be interested in taking the project. Call more than one. Back when I didn't have a personal smith, I got widely varying answers from some of the big folks. Regardless, there are hundreds of guys who do this sort of work everyday. For instance, many folks, myself included, are hankering for a Blackhawk in .44 Special. I'm sure you can get this thing moving, and if you choose a Ruger as a base give a call to Gemini Custom.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Mabey I am mssing something but why not just shoot .44 Special in your .44 Magnum Blackhawk?

That's definitely what many do. However, the older model Blackhawks, sometimes people call them the 3-screw model ('55-'62), were built on a smaller frame. When the .44 Magnum came out the frame was enlarged. Other changes were made but I don't really know offhand what they were other than 3-screws giving way to pins (2). The major issue is a mid-size frame with many like myself, though. I believe that the 50th anniversary Model is a mid-size frame. I should get one now.

Regardless, .44 Special does not need a hefty package to hold it's power. It's fat and slow, like many who love the cartridge, and can get along well on smaller frame pistols. Size issues aside, I figure it would work on a J frame, however, I am totally speculating and have not spoken to anyone who is well versed in the pressure issues regarding this statement.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Charter had a .44 Spec 5shot.  Not the highest quality gun, but much smaller than any .44 mag would have to be.  It makes sense to not bother with carrying extra steel around if you don't need it, and .44 special is a nice gun.

I had an old S&W N-frame pre-24 in .44special, and that was probably one of the nicest overall guns I've ever owned.

I remember seeing a 5 shot Ruger Service-six in .44 special that someone had made, so you can get anything made.  

It's just a matter of money.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#18]
HKY
If I am not mistaken Taurus makes a 6 shot 9mm revolver.  The idea crossed my mind for my daughter in law who seems to think a .357 with .38's in it is too much recoil
YMMV
Learning
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Using 9mm bullets in a .38\.357 revolver gives you no practical advantage. If anything it will be less accurate and if you're using lead the bullet may not be large enough to give you  the gas seal you need for accuracy.

9mm Para and 380 is .355

38 and 357 is .357

It takes as little as .003 difference in bullet diameter to KB a firearm. In the reverse it takes even less excess space to give you accuracy problems. .22 LR is available in three different sizes because not all barrels are true .22 in diameter. If you're using a .223 AR there is .22 LR ammo available that is actually .224 in diameter.

Quoted:
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey Sgt Gold -

I'm not sure what the original poster was looking for, but for me, I'm not looking for an advantage. I'm looking for a very cool 1 of a kind gun that is unique and shoots great.    I think a double action 6 or 8 shot full size revolver with a 5 inch barrel, in blue with some scroll work, target sights, and smooth as a babies ass trigger would be a great gun.  

But that's just me.

Enjoy and shoot safe, I do.

Lovesbeer99
Link Posted: 11/11/2006 7:19:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm sure there are people who have converted a revolver to 9mm. Or you could just buy a Ruger Blackhawk convertible that comes with the extra 9mm cylinder. But since the bore is .357 it may not be as acurate in 9mm.
S&W made several models of 9mm revolver but discontinued them, most likely for poor sales. Taurus discontinued their 9mm revolver just recently. Ruger had made a 9mm but no longer. But, what's the point if your looking for a revolver with target/adj sights, trigger and hammer it already exists in 357 mag it can be loaded down and loaded up well past a 9x19 round and you don't have to spend any more money or spend your time looking for someone who would convert it. If there was a high demand the 9mm revolver might still be produced but we have Glocks, Berettas and XD.
Link Posted: 11/12/2006 6:02:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
S&W made several models of 9mm revolver but discontinued them, most likely for poor sales. Taurus discontinued their 9mm revolver just recently. Ruger had made a 9mm but no longer. But, what's the point if your looking for a revolver with target/adj sights, trigger and hammer it already exists in 357 mag it can be loaded down and loaded up well past a 9x19 round and you don't have to spend any more money or spend your time looking for someone who would convert it. If there was a high demand the 9mm revolver might still be produced but we have Glocks, Berettas and XD.

I believe the biggest market for a 6-shot, 9mm target revolver would be the competition crowd.  The S&W 625 has absolutely DOMINATED the gun games in revolver class because of the speed of moon-clip reloads.  I believe a 9mm version would be even more popular.  Unfortunately, the manufacturers have never built such a gun; it either has a 5-shot cylinder, or a short-barrel, or fixed sights.  Mybe one day they'll give us what we want, and when they do, I'll buy it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2006 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#23]
If you were to decide to build the thing, you might be better off starting with a Dan Wesson as a base.  Since it's a bit more modular the barrel conversion might be easier.
Link Posted: 11/12/2006 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe the biggest market for a 6-shot, 9mm target revolver would be the competition crowd.  The S&W 625 has absolutely DOMINATED the gun games in revolver class because of the speed of moon-clip reloads.  I believe a 9mm version would be even more popular.  Unfortunately, the manufacturers have never built such a gun; it either has a 5-shot cylinder, or a short-barrel, or fixed sights.  Mybe one day they'll give us what we want, and when they do, I'll buy it.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top