Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2023 5:19:12 AM EDT
When these came out a few years ago I thought they looked great and decided to pick one up.  Think I paid $475.  I love no frills 1911’s and I didn’t own a Springfield so….  Fit and finish was excellent and it shot great.  I decided to change a few things to suit my tastes a little better but still keep the “basic 1911”DNA intact.  

For some reason I don’t like the profile of the Springfield hammer.  It just looks odd to me so I pulled a Colt hammer out of the parts box and mated it to an EGW hard sear I also had sitting around.  Next I added a GI mainspring housing with lanyard loop as I’m a sucker for lanyard loops.  Finally, and this was all aesthetics, I changed the hammer and sear pins to EGW ones with rounded ends.  I hate that Springfield uses the flat sided pins on guns with single sided safties.  Shot it some more and decided I wanted to upgrade the sights.  I only had one pinned sight come off and that was on a 1947 Government Model but I really prefer a dovetailed front sight.    So the slid went to Novak for a white dot front sight.  Then it went to John Harrison to get his Retro rear sight with square notch.  And finally, since I love Parkerizing and the stainless barrel and bushing stuck out like a sore thumb, they went to Jagerworks to get finished in black nitride.  The bushing fit was excellent so I didn’t bother ordering an EGW one.

So while it has a few personal touches, I still think it is a very basic 1911.  Shoots excellent and it will probably not be my last Springfield.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 11:56:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#1]
I like it.  Lowered and flared ejection port is a nice feature.

I can't shoot them without a beavertail or I end up bleeding.  

What mag are they using these days?

This is the least amount of frills I can live with.  This is an unmodified gun other than the grip tape:

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:04:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSeric02] [#2]
Originally Posted By mbinky:
When these came out a few years ago I thought they looked great and decided to pick one up.  Think I paid $475.  I love no frills 1911’s and I didn’t own a Springfield so….  Fit and finish was excellent and it shot great.  I decided to change a few things to suit my tastes a little better but still keep the “basic 1911”DNA intact.  

For some reason I don’t like the profile of the Springfield hammer.  It just looks odd to me so I pulled a Colt hammer out of the parts box and mated it to an EGW hard sear I also had sitting around.  Next I added a GI mainspring housing with lanyard loop as I’m a sucker for lanyard loops.  Finally, and this was all aesthetics, I changed the hammer and sear pins to EGW ones with rounded ends.  I hate that Springfield uses the flat sided pins on guns with single sided safties.  Shot it some more and decided I wanted to upgrade the sights.  I only had one pinned sight come off and that was on a 1947 Government Model but I really prefer a dovetailed front sight.    So the slid went to Novak for a white dot front sight.  Then it went to John Harrison to get his Retro rear sight with square notch.  And finally, since I love Parkerizing and the stainless barrel and bushing stuck out like a sore thumb, they went to Jagerworks to get finished in black nitride.  The bushing fit was excellent so I didn’t bother ordering an EGW one.

So while it has a few personal touches, I still think it is a very basic 1911.  Shoots excellent and it will probably not be my last Springfield.  

https://i.postimg.cc/DZhrC861/temp-Image4-MXYq-M.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/28SwRLDw/temp-Image7os22e.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/bvk0HQxz/temp-Image-Eox-Y21.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Kz5nCxpw/temp-Imagelsoaon.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZnKrS21R/temp-Images-Lrc-Oi.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/8zqB6yrK/temp-Imagesx-KJVM.jpg
View Quote

Very nice, Jeff Cooper would approve!

Great looking stocks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice!  This is very similar to what I want done with mine, although I'm torn between the Harrison retro rear or the MMC adjustable rear.

Admittedly I had not considered the nitride finish on the barrel and bushing.  I think I will add that to my to-do list, as it definitely improves the appearance of your pistol.

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I like it

….but I also need a beavertail grip safety

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 12:08:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawman75] [#6]
Attachment Attached File

Did a lot of small upgrades to my mil spec over the years. Several trips to Springfields custom shop. I think the only things left original is the slide, frame and barrel.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice

My mom did the paperwork on a milspec when I was 16. I used it weekly at a local indoor range and a client of my mom's brought me to ipsc competitions for the next couple years. After I got out of the Marines it was my EDC for years untill it was stolen.

I've been a Springfield 1911 guy ever since.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 12:47:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#8]
I am a sucker for lanyard loop too. Went with somewhat of GI treatment on my older SAI. I will need to blue (the older SAI barrel was carbon steel in-the-white) my barrel hood some day.

Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Very nice

My mom did the paperwork on a milspec when I was 16. I used it weekly at a local indoor range and a client of my mom's brought me to ipsc competitions for the next couple years. After I got out of the Marines it was my EDC for years untill it was stolen.

View Quote
Damn dude, that sucks. Have you replaced it?
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Very nice

Not with another milspec but I normally carry either a loaded or a lw champion
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Really nice work on that pistola.
I switched out the bushing on my Garrison for the same reason you did, and I really want to send my barrel to Jager now for the nitride; I had not even considered that option and was working on how I was going to address that. Thanks for posting and detailing your work.
Top Top