Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 5:42:53 PM EDT
Well, some may consider this gun confused.  I don't.  Its 100% SA Pro, and it just came in today.  It was received at SA 9/9/05 and came back home 1/4/06.  

The gun started out as an WW II Mil Spec in OD Green.  As you will see shortly, it has now received the SA Custom Shop full Pro Package.

Here's how the gun came packed.

You see the WWII's green case I sent it in, an envelope with 6 tuned Metalform Mags, and another with the leftover parts removed from the GI.  Here's the leftovers.

Hrere's how the gun was in its case.

Here's the gun.  I'll just say I can't find a flaw.  The finish is beatiful, the checkering looks and feels great.  If my camera were better i'd love to show the fit of the grip safety and mag well etc.  

Here it is with the 6 tuned mags.

Here's the best shots I could get of the fitting.  

The lockup is as tight as a Baer and the slide to frame fit is fantastic.  The original gun has a nice fit, but it is now even better.  I've held a few CRG pros and the only differences I see are the serial number, the custom logo, and the Ordnance logo.  Deb said before I sent it in that slide to frame fit may suffer sooner then a gun built on a custom shop frame and slide, but she said this should last 75% as long which to me means well over 75000 rounds, and I would venture to guess it will just be getting broken in around that time.

Dealing with the custom shop was a 100% pleasure.   I talked to Deb before sending it in, confirmed receipt of the base gun by email, and left them alone until the last week in Dec.  I emailed to check on it and was told early January, and then 1/4/06 and here we are.

I plan a range trip as soon as time and weather permit and will post an update.  

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't mind me asking, how much for the work?  Your gun looks great (BTW).
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:56:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:20:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you don't mind me asking, how much for the work?  Your gun looks great (BTW).

+1
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#4]
BIG +1
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#5]
That looks great!

I had a local guy do the work on mine, mostly just changing parts. Only disappointment was the drop in Wilson Grip safety. It has a little too much space between it and the frame.

One more thing left and that is to change the mainspring housing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It does look great.
Was the whole deal cheaper than buying a TRP?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]

The price of the work including the mags was $1695 + 25 Shipping.  Its not really any cheaper then a Pro, but it was more convenient for me.  It allowed me to pay for the gun over time (base gun purchase one time then the work later), plus I didn't have to find a dealer to order me one for a decent price as I dealt with SA directly.  Hopefully i'll have shot it by this time tomorrow!

later,
AJ
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, it was cold, but the range was calling and I got there.  I got some better pics at the range for all to see and shot pics of a couple groups I shot.  

The gun was 100% reliable.  I only put about 100 rounds through it, but no malfunctions.  I really wasn't shooting at my best today.  I was shooting at 15 yards roughly, two handed.  Usually I can shoot some impressively small groups when I concentrate, but I wasn't all there...

The gun felt great.  I have a picture below of it compared to my carry gun, a Baer Custom Carry.  The guns are very similar except the Baer has 30 LPI checkering instead of 20 and lacks the mag funnel.  Otherwise they look and shoot very much the same.  

I'm pleased with the gun.  I'm sure the groups will get better when I have a better day.  I can't ask for more then 100% reliability and accuracy that is better then I am.  

Anyway, here are the pics...

Baer and the Pro

The top group on this taget is 10 rounds of 200 LSWC reloads of mine.  This is about the best group of the day.  Like I say, I wasn't at my best.

Here's two more close ups to show some detail of the fitting.

These are the two best pics of the day of the gun overall.  I sure do like that Black T!!

Just for giggles, here's one of the other guns I was playing with today.  Its my DPMS .308 AR.  I just replaced the Haako Tacpoint with an Aimpoint clone from Ebay.  What a great rifle!!

later,
AJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top