Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 4/9/2003 8:08:20 PM EDT
I bought a pm9 a few months ago. I really like the gun for concealment and carry, but I have not been impressed with it's accuracy. It just doesn't seem to shoot as well as other pistols of comparable size. I am wondering what other people think about it.

I am new to ar15.com I am really impressed with everyone and have found many of my questions answered in other posts. I love it!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 3:48:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I purchased a PM9 in January 03. I have about 350 rounds through the gun. A mix of Federal 124 ball, Federal 124 hydra-shocks and WW 115 Silvertips.

Accuracy is not as good as my MK9 Elite 98 but it is more than acceptable for a small carry gun. I recently shot our department qualification course including 12 rounds @ 25 yards. No problems keeping all shots center mass for a 100% score .

What kind of groups are you getting?

Mike
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Suggest you try Federal 9BP/115JHP.This load
is generally about as accurate as 9mm loads get
(Ref: Masaad Ayoob, and my own experience).
Considering the short sight radius and the
maker's intentions, this pistol is accurate
enough for close range minute-of-scumbag
shooting,and then some.Good shooting, Chuck Hunt
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
jjrobo -

Welcome to AR15 and the Kahr forum.  Hopefully we will see a lot of you around here.  I can't offer any comment on the PM9.   Don't have any of the M series guns, only 2 K9's and an early P9.
Others have offered some good observations about sight radius and design intentions for the PM9.  It has also been my experience that Federal 9BP is an accurate load in all my 9mm handguns.

Welcome aboard,
Beachboy
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I bought a pm9 a few months ago. I really like the gun for concealment and carry, but I have not been impressed with it's accuracy. It just doesn't seem to shoot as well as other pistols of comparable size. I am wondering what other people think about it.

I am new to ar15.com I am really impressed with everyone and have found many of my questions answered in other posts. I love it!!

I was used to shooting 124 gr +P Gold Dots in my Glock 26 with very good accuracy, but I couldn't control my PM9 with that load.  I do ok with Winchester "White Box" Value Pack 115 gr FMJ, but my recent favorite is my own 147 gr JHP subsonic load.  The recoil is much smoother and closes up my groups by a factor of 2.  Unfortunately, I don't know how how slow this load (5 gr AA#5) is out of the PM9's short barrel and whether or not that velocity allows for good expansion.

The other thing that affects my accuracy with the PM9 is the difficulty in getting a good grip while having room to pull the trigger properly (with the first pad or joint).  I really have to concentrate in getting a firm grip while keeping my hand far enough back to reach the trigger in the right way.
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have tried PMC's, Federal 115gr. fmj and jhp, blazers, and hydoshocks's. I consistantly get 10" groups at 15 yds with all of them. I have had over 500 rounds through it, only one malfunction and that was in the first 50.

It took me a while to figure out how to grip it without pulling it sideways while squeezing the trigger.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry I can't offer better advise. If I lived closer this would call for an ARFCOM shoot to compare the guns.

Good luck,

Mike
Link Posted: 4/20/2003 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I find that with the size of the gun and the longer than I'm used to trigger pull, the best way for me to get consistant accuracy is to firmly plant the pad of my support hand thumb on the forwad left side frame.  Keeps the gun from torquing left during the trigger pull.  

I find it perfecly acceptable for accuracy out to 25 yards, quick shooting.  Like Map, I q'd with it easily, 3 tries, 3 passes.  

If I want to ring the gong at 100 yards I have a Glock 35.

BTW I use www.georgia-arms.com 115 grain hp anf canned heat fmj.  Inexpensive quality ammo, low recoil, low flash.  

I really like this pistol.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#8]
How is the recoil on this tiny gun?  What shoots the softest?  115gr or 147gr?

Would you recommend it for a small framed female who is slightly recoil sensitive?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#9]
IMHO recoil is not bad in the PM9. However, someone who is recoil sensitive may disagree. Try a test shoot if possible.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#10]
With standard pressure 115 gr, the PM9 recoils noticibly less than a S&W airweight .38 shooting standard pressure 158 gr.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#11]
The lighter the bullet weight, the lighter the recoil.  Out of all the Kahr models, the PM9 is by no means any kind of a tack driver. It is basically a belly weapon that is intended for deep cover or concealment for close range.  I've owned several Kahrs over the years and have only one real complaint, i.e., the rounds have a tendency to walk out of the magazines when not in the weapon.  If the mags are not carried in a designated mag pouch, but instead carried in the pants pocket or jacket like during hot weather/light clothing wear or undercover deep carry, over about a three hour period, at least one if not all the rounds will be  loose at the bottom of the pocket.  I wrote to Kahr about 4 years ago and obviously they were not concerned enough to rectify the design.  In all the years of off duty carry, I've never experienced that problem with any other make of semi auto.  I have experienced this with just about mag model that Kahr makes.  Curious as to whether anyone else has experienced this problem too.  Aside from that, great weapons.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top