Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2004 9:49:18 AM EDT
Poking around the gunstore, I noticed what I took to be a Ruger MK II, but didn't see the usual European-type mag release at the heel of the grip frame. So I asked to see it, and sure enough, after 50-some odd years, Ruger FINALLY got with the program, and has put the mag release where it's supposed to have been all along (where the 1911 has it, for those who haven't seen a Mk III). My reaction of "Oh, COOL! I gotta have this thing" quickly turned to "Oh, for pete's sake..." when I saw that they had also added a large "loaded chamber indicator" on the left side of the receiver. Well, that just did it for me; Ruger finally improves the universal gripe about the MK II, and yet still manage to fuck it up by cutting that huge slot in the receiver for that damned LCI. Due to the design change, the MK III also takes a different magazine than the MK II, also (not a big deal, this; I believe the prices are about the same between mags). Anyway, I put it down, and bought one of these, instead:

This is a special order by some distributor (I don't know who; forgot to ask). Since Ruger is chincy about their bluing (among other things), I immediately refinished it with Alumahyde II, lest it begin to rust away before I had a chance to take it to the range to try it out. After taking it to the range, though, I discovered one of the major short-comings of Amumahyde II: the stuff doesn't adhere to smooth surfaces worth a crap. I have since stripped the Alumahyde off, and it is once again in original condition. Notice that I also cut off the "sight channel hook" part of the front sight. Ruger also has made a S/S version, that comes with a fiber-optic front sight w/ various inserts, I assume for the same distributor.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#1]
You may have done yourself a favor in passing on the mk III.   Apparently Ruger made a bit of a bonehead design decision w/ their LCI, and will be recalling all those that have already been released.   See the thread here for details:

www.markii.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1689
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate to say I thought so, but when I first saw the loaded chamber indicator I said to myself  "I hope they are not using the rim to pivot the loaded chamber indicator out".  I  thought the bright engineers at Ruger would have forseen this possibility.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want a proper mag-release position, get a 22/45, not a MKIII

The 22/45 has the controls in their 1911 spots and has been around for a while now...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]
it also has a mag disconnect so that it won't fire without a magazine
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The 22/45 has the controls in their 1911 spots and has been around for a while now...

Yeah, I know, but I just have a dislike for the 22/45; the grips just don't feel right to me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I know, but I just have a dislike for the 22/45; the grips just don't feel right to me.

Is there some place with a comparison with pics?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Go take a look at the Ruger website. The 22/45's grip angle is fine, but the grips are too skinny for me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Poking around the gunstore, I noticed what I took to be a Ruger MK II, but didn't see the usual European-type mag release at the heel of the grip frame. So I asked to see it, and sure enough, after 50-some odd years, Ruger FINALLY got with the program, and has put the mag release where it's supposed to have been all along (where the 1911 has it, for those who haven't seen a Mk III). My reaction of "Oh, COOL! I gotta have this thing" quickly turned to "Oh, for pete's sake..." when I saw that they had also added a large "loaded chamber indicator" on the left side of the receiver. Well, that just did it for me; Ruger finally improves the universal gripe about the MK II, and yet still manage to fuck it up by cutting that huge slot in the receiver for that damned LCI. Due to the design change, the MK III also takes a different magazine than the MK II, also (not a big deal, this; I believe the prices are about the same between mags). Anyway, I put it down, and bought one of these, instead:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=31532

This is a special order by some distributor (I don't know who; forgot to ask). Since Ruger is chincy about their bluing (among other things), I immediately refinished it with Alumahyde II, lest it begin to rust away before I had a chance to take it to the range to try it out. After taking it to the range, though, I discovered one of the major short-comings of Amumahyde II: the stuff doesn't adhere to smooth surfaces worth a crap. I have since stripped the Alumahyde off, and it is once again in original condition. Notice that I also cut off the "sight channel hook" part of the front sight. Ruger also has made a S/S version, that comes with a fiber-optic front sight w/ various inserts, I assume for the same distributor.

That's a mighty fine looking piece....

I love my MKII though I hardly ever shoot it. It is a superb pistol.

Tis a shame Ruger is monkeying up a perfectly good design...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top