Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2002 4:29:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Revolvers are for the geriatric set, those that like their tv in B&W and their movies Silent.

Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#2]
That thing looks like it would kick back like a mule. One advantage of the semi-auto is that you can assume a higher grip posture. How is the recoil on that baby - look like the barrel is AWFUL high above the grip - like it might try to spin around backwards on ya!

Adam
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Love revolvers, but don't like them in calibers that belong in pistols, like 45 ACP or 9mm. That's why my S&W 625 is a 45 LC not ACP.

Adam_White sounds like someone who has never fired a revolver. 45 ACP loads in a large frame revolver have very little felt recoil. Centerline of the bore isn't much higher above the hand than most pistols.

This isn't the whole handgun collection, but there are more than a few revolvers in the mix.

Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Adam_White sounds like someone who has never fired a revolver. 45 ACP loads in a large frame revolver have very little felt recoil. Centerline of the bore isn't much higher above the hand than most pistols.

I've only fired one - a measly .38. I haver to admit, being used to semi-autos it did almost do a black flip in my hand when I first shot it. I found I had to take a very aggressive, high grip on the thing. "Centerline of the bore" is just the concept I was pathetically trying to express in my post but did not know the terminology. Anyway, it seemed a lot higher to me when I shot the .38 - damn thing got the better of me until I changed my grip. I can shoot most autos (unless it's a .50AE or something) with a stiff butt loos grip - did not seem to be the case with that damned .38.
Sounds like I just found an excuse to:

A) Buy a new gun

B) Get more range time

Damn, this board is getting to be expensive
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:07:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Adam -

Sounds like a grip problem. I have had many students who seem to want to grip a revolver about an inch lower than they should.

The top of the grip backstrap should be in the web of your hand. It's not as obvious with a revolver as with a pistol.

Revolvers are lots of fun to shoot, and you can pick up a good used 357 for under $300. Practice a lot with cheap 38 special.

So you need both a new gun and more range time

Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I like em' very much. I own two, soon to be four. I'm getting a S&W 686 plus and a Taurus Tracker in 45LC. Here are pics of my current two:

I've taken whitetail with both, however I will not shoot anymore deer with the 357. It just ain't enough gun. The aimpoint on the Anaconda works reall well. Very fast target aquisition, no magnification. Perfect for those close up tree stand shots (300 gr. cast bullets anchor em')
When I'm shooting for speed I shoot my Glock 22.

Its all about what type of work your doing. Use the right tool for the job. Both wheelguns and auto's have a niche in the handgun world.
As usual, my .02.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually, because of the design of a revolver, they will usually have quite a bit LESS recoil than a comparable semi. If you look at the design of a revolver, the center of mass (the point that the gun would revolve around) is in front of the grip. In a really well designed revolver like the S&W M-19, M-28 (or M-27), the Colt Police Positive and all of the model 1917s, the center of mass is right over the trigger. This tends to limit upward movement and improve return to POA.

There are several other really big advantages to a revolver over ANY semi-auto.

• revolvers usually cost less than a semi
  • for a given barrel length, a revolver will have a longer effective barrel length
  • for a given barrel length, revolvers will usually have a longer sight radius
  • revolvers have a simpler MOA than semi's
  • if it fits in the hole, a revolver will fire it. There is no worry about will my gun feed xyz ammo.
  • revolvers seldom jam. That is also true of MOST modern semis but the revolver will still have the edge in reliability
  • there is a broader range of ammo available in revolvers
  • the more powerful loads are avialable only in revolvers
  • using moon clips, I can reload my revolvers even faster than my semi's
  • there are many revolvers that shoot semi-auto ammo (usually better than the semi) but few semi's that can shoot revolver ammo
  • 45acp is too good a caliber to waste on a semi-automatic. It should be shot where it was first used, in a revolver

Link Posted: 9/8/2002 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#8]

sig_230 says:

45acp is too good a caliber to waste on a semi-automatic. It should be shot where it was first used, in a revolver

While I agree with the rest of what you said, the 45 ACP round (ACP standing for Automatic Colt Pistol) was first used, IIRC, in the 1909 Colt 45 ACP Pistol, which evolved into the 1911.  It's a so-so round for a revolver, frankly, and the M1917 was only introduced because Colt couldn't make 1911's fast enough.

using moon clips, I can reload my revolvers even faster than my semi's

I need to call BS on this, unless you have some special physical attributes that cause this to happen or some super secret technique I've never seen. I've fired both a full-moon clipped 45 ACP 625 and 1911's in IPSC/IDPA matches quite a bit, and the pistol is always faster to reload.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Call em like you see em.

Link Posted: 9/8/2002 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Love certain revolvers! I find my Smith and Wesson Model 25  45 Long Colt 4" nickel to be one of my top two accurate handguns (the other is a Sig P229). I'll tell you, one of these loaded with good ammo would have to be about as effective as anything you could fire from a handgun. But they are a hand cannon and are best suited to work around the house. I couldn't imagine packing such a beast around on my hip for very long!

Other revolvers I really like are the Smith and Wesson Model 66 and Model 686 .357 Magnum. Very nice shooters are durable.

The Smith and Wesson 2" snubbies and the Taurus 2" Model 85 also make nice little concealed carry pieces.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I absolutely love my S&W 625 in .45 ACP. It's just a little on the large side to conceal comfortably.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#12]
"Retro" is one definition. I like to say getting back to basics...same thing only different, I suppose. Meanwhile, I will always give my revolvers "equal time". My old (relatively) 28 is my fav at the moment, basic blue, no bells, no whistles, just a big boom and holes in the middle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#13]
As many semi's as I own, I keep my Dan Wesson 357 in the safe next to the bed, with a speed loader sitting patiently off to the side.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#14]
While I prefer my Beretta M92F in 9mm loaded with 124gr.+P Gold Dots for any personal protection scenario, I feel all most as comfortable with my 4" Colt King Cobra in 357 loaded with 125gr Golden Sabres.  I feel that it comes down to the individual and not the weapon.  If I had to use my King Cobra to defend myself or my family, I would not feel helpless.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm more of an auto guy.  I have a Vacqureo, but revolvers are more just curiosities and playthings. That Dan Wesson sure looks sweet though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I recently purchased my first revolver, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

As you can see, I started with something small before I move up to larger revolvers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Revolvers, yes, 2, stainless, one for the kitchen & one for the bathroom.

Some day if I can find an old S&W model 60 chiefs special I'd like to add that. Also I have dreams of building up a 7+" .357 Bain & Davis on a heavy frame...

Rude Visitor: "Just how many guns do you have?"
Myself: "Sir, your question is ill phrased. It should be how many guns do you have in each room. But don't expect an answer beyond at least one in each."
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#18]
good choice for the humid & wet areas, prof, my bathroom gun is also stainless for just that reason. s&w model 66, magna ported, chamfered for speedloaders and bead blasted to a nice matte finish.

COME ON GUYS, I WANNA SEE SOME PYTHONS

Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Love my Colt .357s I shoot revelovers and semis about equally. Revolvers are very relaxing, slow fire no brass to catch, real gentle on brass, makes it easier and more time to reload.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 12:10:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 3:59:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#24]
"Dude, aren't revolvers like, those old gats that old dudes in nursing homes shoot and stuff?"

M1917 S&W

Ruger Bisley-Vaquero in .357

I've also got a couple others that are not pictured, a S&W 686+ and a Ruger Single Six.

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#26]
How about some one post a pic of their 686?  Damm I miss that gun!  Should have never sold it.
Art in KY
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
How about some one post a pic of their 686?  Damm I miss that gun!  Should have never sold it.
Art in KY

Your wish is more or less my command.  

"Never sell a good gun," my dad once told me.  Selling mediocre guns, however, has never been something that bothered me.  The 686 is most definitely a "good" one.

Link Posted: 9/10/2002 3:08:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Kurt, that's uncalled for
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Obsolete? Retro? Nursing Homes?...OK, you go stand over there and let me shoot at you six times with this big ol' obsolete revolver, then tell me what you think!
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:Obsolete? Retro? Nursing Homes?...OK, you go stand over there and let me shoot at you six times with this big ol' obsolete revolver, then tell me what you think!

Since your hand is doubtless crippled with palsy and your eyesight clouded by cataracts, it should pose no significant threat.  Plus the recoil will probably push your wheelchair out of alignment with the target.

Link Posted: 9/10/2002 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Well, it DOES push the chair around some, but I've got this system worked out where I can hook my leg around the oxygen tank stand and it's pretty stable...just got ta remember to not let the muzzle flash get too near the oxygen bottle. Got the location of the door memorized...just having problems remembering which door we are talking about. Don't need earmuffs...can't hear anyway! :-0
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#33]
members.aol.com/jkmays/686.jpg

An example of the need for a Icon need that is drooling.

Art in KY
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm usually an auto guy, but I also would not feel undergunned with our GP100.   I really like that gun.  It's my wife's favorite.   Just ask and she'll say it's 'her' gun.

I think a SW 686 Powerport with an Aimpoint is next.
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 4:45:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Revolvers?....

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 5:19:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Naw, I hate the damn things.

Link Posted: 9/19/2002 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#39]
There's not a thing wrong with a quality revolver and most revolver shooters have a saying of six for sure and not without good reason. Revolvers are reliable and not at all ammo sensitive as many semiautos are prone to be. A well trained man with a good revolver, is still a force to be reckoned with.

7th
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Did I see someone ask for a Python?

How bout a couple of oldies?

The bottom one is a Remington replica, the top one is NOT a replica; 1898 vintage, all original.

Nick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top