Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2005 10:44:42 PM EDT
I’ve begun testing & evaluating the new S&W Military & Police pistol to see how it compares to the current crop of polymer-framed .40 handguns.  Purpose is to evaluate the gun for possible duty use by a LE agency.

Note:  I’m the only reviewer here professional enough to use the technical terms found below.  If you don’t understand “sproing”, “ugghh”, or “squiggle”, let me know.  

Model Features:

S&W M&P40.  15-round DAO polymer-frame with stainless steel inserts on which the slide rides.  The gun I’m testing is equipped with a magazine disconnect that disables the firing mechanism unless a magazine is inserted.  The frame has an obvious location for a key disable switch, but this gun is not so equipped.  My understanding is that both the magazine disconnect and the key disable are optional for LE.  There is no manual safety ala 1911.  (Safeties on a defensive pistol?  Anachronism.)  

Mechanically, the slide lock is just that—a mechanism for locking back the slide on an empty magazine.  The slide cannot be released by pressing down on the slide lock.  There is far too much pressure to allow the slide to drop.  A close examination of the picture shows small protective rails around the slide lock, apparently to help prevent using the slide lock as a slide release.  Thus, the pistol requires a tug on the slide to go forward into battery (either the Glock “hand-over”, or a slingshot technique).

The slide has fish scallops cut into the rear to make pulling back the slide more secure.  When I saw these scallops I scoffed, but I take it back.  They are VERY secure and provide an excellent uni-directional grip on the slide.  I like them a lot.

The frame features three interchangeable palm swells, small/medium/large.  The size difference is noticeable.  Handing the gun around the office, the small and medium were most popular.  I have relatively large hands and could use the largest size if necessary, but the medium worked better.  The small size is detectably smaller than the Glock 22 or SW40F.

Grip angle is more vertical than either the SW40F or the Glock 22.  The Glock seems most swept, followed by the 40F, and finally the M&P40 is most vertical.  The difference is not huge, however, and I doubt users would have any problems retiring one model and beginning to carry another.

Comparing these models side-by-side, here are their weights w/o magazine:

The gun came with three blued-steel magazines.  I was surprised they are not stainless steel like all the other S&W mags I’ve seen.  BTW, they’re marked 40/357, so it’s safe to say a .357 version is on the way.  The frame features a reversible magazine release for the lefties out there.

Fit & finish of the gun is what anyone would expect in a black plastic gun.  Appearance won’t be appreciated by the walnut and polished steel crowd, but it’s business-like.  All three palm swells fit the grip without gaps, and there are no abrasive ridges in the plastic.

Disassembly does not require pulling the trigger.  Instead, lock the slide back and press down on the yellow squiggle-shaped sear disconnect located at the top-rear of the magazine well.

Then rotate the disassembly lever, ala Sig, and the slide can be removed from the front.

A quick glance shows the slide to be similar to the Glock and Sigma, while the interior of the frame appears somewhat similar to the Sigma—including the trigger spring forward of the magazine well (UGGH—seen too many of these break on the SW40F).

Trigger pull is much lighter than the SW40F, and perhaps just a shade lighter than the 5.5-lb Glock connector.  Sear reset is somewhat longer than the Glock, perhaps about like a Sig P229.  The release is crisper than the Glock, without as much “sproing” to it.

Loaded chamber indicator is simply a hole to view brass through.  Nice and unobtrusive:

Firing:

12/21:  Fired 2,250 rounds through it today.  2,000 Q4238 (Winchester 180gr FMJ) and 250 RA40T (Win. 180gr Ranger JHP).  Here are my experiences:

The bottom of my trigger finger rubs against the interior bottom of the trigger guard when I shoot live ammo.  This is uncomfortable.  The other shooter with me today did not experience this at all, while I experienced it consistently.  I believe it's due to a combination of my grip style and the grip angle of the gun--I don't experience this with my Glock 22.

Sights are drift-adjustable.  They're right about 3-4" @ 20 yards, and about 1-2" high.  I didn't shoot off a bench (everything was shot standing), but based on that non-test it shoots as accurately as my Glock 22.  In other words, if I line up the sights and squeeze the trigger, it hits where it's pointed (allowing for sights being off, that is).

Reliability:  Both of us tried to make this thing choke.  Couldn't do it.  I fired it weak-hand with thumb and trigger finger only, with elbow and wrist flexed.  Still gobbled everything.  The only "malfunctions" occurred when I used my high-left-hand grip, with my base of the thumb nearly on the slide.  When I shot this way I repeatedly locked the slide open.  My hand was activating the slide lock, so this is a user-induced malfunction.  Here's a co-worker in full recoil (empty visible just off the ejection port):

At 850 rounds I noticed the hollow pin below the disassembly lever was slightly walking out the left side of the frame (I noticed this when I felt it lacerating my left thumb).  I got a roll pin punch and knocked it back into place.  It kept slowly drifting out the left side as more ammo was shot up, having to be knocked back into place about every 800 rounds.  This pin didn't walk far, but it had sharp edges and was very noticeable when it started protruding because it started slicing & dicing.  Here's how far it moved before I drifted it back in (it should sit flush):

Pic of the other side of the pin:

Although the slide lock cannot be used to release the slide when it's locked back, briskly inserting the mag consistently caused the slide to shut while chambering a round, just like the SW40F.

Conclusions so far:  the gun doesn't fit my hand and grip style.  I'm married to my G22, so this isn't an M&P40 problem.  I declined to change my grip to adapt to the gun, which I would do if this became my duty gun.

Functional reliability was perfect except for the worries caused by the roll pin.  The Sigmas have pins walk all the time too, which is hardly a confidence booster.

Accuracy was as much as could be desired from a duty gun (I don't understand people who want their defensive guns to shoot 2" groups at 50 yards--I mean, really, what are you possibly thinking?  I can't hold a 2" group at 50 yards from a bench, is it a status symbol??  ).

Another 2k rounds planned for tomorrow, along with a sampling of shooters who have managed to make any semi-auto handgun I give them choke by limp-wristing.  Yes, even the guns I can't make choke shooting as limp as I know how.  So tomorrow will be a good day for more reliability testing.

Possible thumbs-up on this gun.

12/22 update:

Here's the gun at the end of yesterday's session:

More rounds through it today, with different shooters than just yesterday's co-worker and I.  Their impressions:

Several people commented that the sear reset is hard to detect, as opposed to the Glock or the Sigma.  They disliked how difficult it was to tell when the sear reset occurred.  This, from people used to the Sigma's reset, which occurs when the trigger is 95% released.  I agree the sear reset is difficult to feel at speed, so the shooter must remember how much to release if they want that effect.

Reliability:

I started off the day by purchasing a gun degreaser.  I wanted to simulate the neglect of not being maintained so long the oil evaporated off the gun.  Here's the "after" pics, after blowing off some of yesterday's dirt, and all of the oil:

The gun functioned for about 75 rounds, and then had a failure to fire.  I believe the failure to fire was induced in the fire-control parts.  The lack of lubrication in the trigger mechanism prevented the magazine-safety from being pushed out of the way, preventing the trigger bar from contacting the sear.  The trigger bar appears to be spring-loaded, so when the magazine safety is out of the way the trigger bar is pushed against the sear.  The lack of lube caused the magazine-safety to stay in place, so pulling the trigger never engaged the sear.  I couldn't diagnose this with the gun together, so this is a diagnosis based on examining the firing mechanism and replicating the feel of the trigger when it wouldn't fire.

I then thoroughly re-lubed the gun.  No further problems with the trigger.

Another firearms instructor managed to make the thing choke twice by limp-wristing it with his weak hand to the extent the gun was nearly dropped each time.  Here are the two pics of the failure to eject:

The highlight of the day was presenting it to a female shooter who has a very severe problem with shooting with unlocked wrists.  I've transitioned her to a "Barnhardt"-type grip which has cured the problem when using 2 hands, but it's a real struggle to get her through a Sigma magazine shooting with either hand alone.  She shot the M&P40 with her "old" 2-hand grip, and then with both hands singly, without any malfunctions.  I then had her try her Sigma 1-handed, with consequent jams.  I'm counseling her to purchase this gun.  Or I'll transition her to a revolver  

Round count:

1,100 rounds through it today, for a 2-day total of 3,350.

Durability questions:

During today's session the same roll pin kept walking to the left, knocked it back into place twice.

At the end of the day I thoroughly cleaned and examined the gun.  Some peening is evident at the base of the feed ramp, and the left side and front of the area behind the barrel's locking lug.

None of the peening is deep, but it is visible to casual observation.  The question is whether this is self-limiting, like the Glock 22's slide/locking block interface, or whether it's progressive.  If progressive, I wonder about the gun's durability.  My Glock 22 has ~15,000 rounds through it with one broken part (slide stop spring).  But it isn't showing peening in 4 different areas, either.

Thoughts:

Reliability was excellent.  I'm impressed with that.  I personally don't care for the feel of the gun in my hand because of the trigger pain I feel with my grip, but I'm the only tester of 6 who experienced it.  The only other complaint any tester had was the hard-to-detect sear reset, mentioned by 3 of 6.  Interchangeable grips were appreciated by all.

I have the gun for T&E for another couple of weeks, so I'll see if I can put another couple thousand rounds through it and determine whether the peening gets worse.

Frame at 3,350 rounds:

1/3 update:

350-400 rounds fired by the shooter who commonly limp-wrists.  No malfunctions again.

1/9 update

A variety of experienced shooters put approximately 300 rounds through it yesterday.

The slide locked back ~4 times when rounds were still in the magazine--IIRC usually when 1 round remained in the mag.  Observation showed the shooter was NOT activating the slide release with their hand or grip.  On a related note, it's now possible to drop the slide using the slide lock lever--it has become noticeably easier.  The change in the ease of the slide lock's use leads me to believe parts have worn and/or spring tensions have changed.  Without detail-stripping the frame I'm unable to find the faulty part and/or spring.

Had one FTEx.  Examination of the fired casing showed nothing unusual, and the pistol tried to chamber a second round into the first.  Cause unknown.

Had one FTF.  Primer dented.  Tried to fire same round in Glock 27.  It also experienced FTF.  Diagnosis = faulty ammunition.

The roll pin is coming out more and more often.  It started to walk at ~800 rounds, but now it's walking every 200-300.

Three shooters experienced mild discomfort on their trigger finger where it apparently rubbed against the bottom of the trigger guard.

Examination of the gun by an knowledgeable weapons manufacturer and trainer led to questions about the durability of the gun's small parts such as magazine safety and sear disconnect.

Final thoughts:

The gun is going back to S&W this week.  It won't be authorized for duty use because of concerns about longevity.  I'm unimpressed with the peening and walking pin after only about 4,000 rounds.

Too bad, because I really liked the interchangeable grip panels, and the sights and trigger were good.

5/12 update

While T&E'ing a few other guns I shot a different M&P40 (exact same model, but different serial number) twice over the past week. No torture test this time--just trying it out while I was handling other samples (Beretta PX4 and SW99).

This 2nd M&P had inconsistent ejection. Even when held properly, it'd throw brass anywhere, from 4 o'clock all the way to 6 o'clock. The officer who limp wrists even had a few eject to 7 o'clock. First time I'd seen brass go to 7. I couldn't believe the gun didn't choke.

Anyway, the inconsistent ejection is worrisome.  I don't believe they need to land in one neat pile, but you shouldn't get beaned in the head when using proper technique.

Did I just get two lemons in a row?  Who knows?  But I'd wait a few years for S&W to get the bugs worked out of this gun before I'd risk my own money.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:31:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Excellent!

Standing by for the rest of the review
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey Glenn,
Did you weigh the trigger??

VJ
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I eagerly anticipate the review, I've read several online reviews that has proclaimed this gun as the next best thing since sliced bread.  I'll wait until they reach more civvie hands before I purchase one though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Did you weigh the trigger??

Nope, just a subjective comparison against the SW40F and the Glock 22 with 5.5# connector.  I don't have a trigger scale.

Firing update in original post.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info.  Any chance of pics showing the inner workings?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  Any chance of pics showing the inner workings?

Yup, pics are now up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#9]
2,000+ rounds in one day, followed by another 2,000 rounds the next day?  You're nuts!

Thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Much thanks for the pics, I have been very curious of this pistol.  I have a couple questions, if you don't mind.

Can the gun be used without the takedown tool in place?
How secure is the tool in the pistol?
How solid and secure are the backstraps? any movement or "wiggle factor"?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Very good review!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, this a quality review. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Take this for what it is worth, we got a call today from our dealer rep to tell us that most of upper management for Smith and Wesson was FIRED within the last 48 hours........ no details .........

VJ
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:51:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Take this for what it is worth, we got a call today from our dealer rep to tell us that most of upper management for Smith and Wesson was FIRED within the last 48 hours........ no details .........

VJ

Now thats interesting. If its true that is.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:05:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Can the gun be used without the takedown tool in place?    Yes, but it holds the removable palm swells in place
How secure is the tool in the pistol?    Very
How solid and secure are the backstraps? any movement or "wiggle factor"?   not if the takedown tool is there  

Thanks!     no problem!      

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#16]
BTT Looking forward to trying one of these....

Anymore info on the S&W managament item?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been eyeing this gun for about 4 months now. Great report.! Hopefully S&W will iron out some of the bugs before I decide to take the plunge..otherwise I will stick with my Glocks and 1911s..D
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Day 2 review posted--pics later tonight.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the review - nice write-up!  As a long time (satisfied) owner of several S&W autos, I've been looking forward to more details on these.

Quoted:
... Note:  I’m the only reviewer here professional enough to use the technical terms found below.  If you don’t understand “sproing”, “ugghh”, or “squiggle”, let me know...  

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hopefully S&W will iron out some of the bugs before I decide to take the plunge...

Well, it sounds like the bugs are being ironed out all right...  Starting at the top.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:09:07 AM EDT
[#21]
2nd-day pics are up
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#22]
If only all firearm reviews were this free of bullshit - GREAT READ!

Mechanically, the slide lock is just that—a mechanism for locking back the slide on an empty magazine. The slide cannot be released by pressing down on the slide lock. There is far too much pressure to allow the slide to drop. A close examination of the picture shows small protective rails around the slide lock, apparently to help prevent using the slide lock as a slide release.
This I just don't get.

Putting aside the point that, yes, indeed in a gross motor skill sense, THE WAY to finish an emergency reload is by pulling the slide back - but if S&W really wnats us to do it that way, all the time, why have a lever at all?  Just to assist the user when they want to lock the slide back and there's no magazine handy?

If, and this is a pretty small if, there became available an "extended" slide release - would that work?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#23]

The XD now has competition for the most mocked (by me) wanna-be Glock pistol.  Integral key-lock optional for LE?  Not optional for everyone?    

Loaded chamber indicator by drilling a hole in the slide and barrel?  

Great review, but what is S&W thinking?  Sigma Deux.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Excellent evaluation!!  You've acknowledged the differences between your objective and subjective findings.  I appreciate both.

C97
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Great review, have you sent a link to the thread to the boys at S&W? I think that if they know you are making your opinion and possible shortcommings public they might look at/correct them faster.

I myself am very interested in getting one if the reports continue to be promising....

S.O.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The XD now has competition for the most mocked (by me) wanna-be Glock pistol.  Integral key-lock optional for LE?  Not optional for everyone?    

You are aware that the Springfield 1911's are the same way right?  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:00:59 AM EDT
[#27]
great review.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:27:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the great review
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are aware that the Springfield 1911's are the same way right?  

Another reason to not own a Springfield  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Good report.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The bottom of my trigger finger rubs against the interior bottom of the trigger guard when I shoot live ammo. This is uncomfortable. The other shooter with me today did not experience this at all, while I experienced it consistently. I believe it's due to a combination of my grip style and the grip angle of the gun--I don't experience this with my Glock 22.

That's funny.  This is my complaint with the Glocks - the bottom of the trigger guard rubs a hole in my finger after a few hundred rounds.   Interesting that you experienced it with the M&P.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Smith and Wesson Rep, came by last week to demo one.

My Thoughts honestly,
Smith's second try at getting around Glocks patent for that whole Sigma ordeal.
It's basically a Glock (obviously) with a few modifications that were not needed.

Don't get me wrong I do like the pistol, makes some minor improvements that glock haters have always addressed.
But face the facts, it's just a copy of the Glock....... again.
Once more I was really shocked to learn They want to retail those thing at close to 700 bucks!
You pay more for Smith's Copy than you do for the original gun?!!
An Extra 200 bucks and  for what a better grip angle?

I also didn't ask but now that I think about it, I bet it will not have a tenifer finish either. I don't think that process is done here in the U.S.

Great Review! glenn_r
Very informative!!!

I'm not here to piss on the M&P40, but...

I am a little pissed at S&W they could have tried to really go toe to toe with Glock, instead they priced them-selves right out of the game early. It's a good gun, but it's just a copy..... a more expensive copy that has yet to be proven like the glock has.

Tag for my incoming shitstorm.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#33]
According to the sales rep, the department price of this gun will be the same as Glock.  I didn't ask about retail sales.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Once more I was really shocked to learn They want to retail those thing at close to 700 bucks!
You pay more for Smith's Copy than you do for the original gun?!!

Usually, reps can only speak to the MSRP.  S&W knows that no one really pays MSRP, but it isn't their place to get much into the street price.

I also didn't ask but now that I think about it, I bet it will not have a tenifer finish either. I don't think that process is done here in the U.S.

Actually, S&W's Melonite is a very similar process to Glock's Tenifer.  A semi-technical description is available here.

I am a little pissed at S&W they could have tried to really go toe to toe with Glock, instead they priced them-selves right out of the game early. It's a good gun, but it's just a copy..... a more expensive copy that has yet to be proven like the glock has.

I think it may be a bit early to call it based on price alone.  Compare the guns on features and performance and let price be the last thing you bring into the mix.

From what I have seen so far, I am not particularly impressed by the M&P's features.  The integral safeties, odd operation of the slide lock, and the regrettable heritage of the Sigma's trigger are turn-offs for me. (The FN FNP-9 is much more my speed but that's another thread.)

This is S&W's third try at a polymer pistol, which means they put themselves in the position of competing against the S&W 99 (a better gun IMO) and the Sigma, neither of which is really selling like hotcakes.  Let's hope they do well with the M&P, but frankly I wouldn't be surprised to see these being closed out by CDNN in a few years for $399.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:07:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Dealer price on the M&P is $33 higher than the Glock 22.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
This is S&W's third try at a polymer pistol, which means they put themselves in the position of competing against the S&W 99 (a better gun IMO) and the Sigma, neither of which is really selling like hotcakes.

Maybe you should check your facts a little better.  The Sigma is S&W's top selling pistol right now, followed by all of the SW1911 models put together.  The early ones had some problems, but the only complaint anyone can have with the "Enhanced" Sigmas currently produced is the heavy trigger pull.  I'm over 8000 rounds in both 9mm and .40 Enhanced Sigmas without a single malfunction of any kind.  And, they have all been cast bullet reloads, too.

S&W added another Sigma manufacturing line last year, and they are still having trouble keeping up with the demand from distributors on them.  Like them or not, they are selling a LOT of them.  I think the M&P will effect some of the Sigma sales, and will completely kill the SW99/990's numbers, but the Sigma is going to least, especially with a gunshop price of less than $300.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is S&W's third try at a polymer pistol, which means they put themselves in the position of competing against the S&W 99 (a better gun IMO) and the Sigma, neither of which is really selling like hotcakes.

Maybe you should check your facts a little better.  The Sigma is S&W's top selling pistol right now, followed by all of the SW1911 models put together.  

Hmm. Didn't know that.  I certainly wouldn't have guessed.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Great review glenn_r-

Have you had any problems with misfires/light primer hits? I'm "the first kid on the block" here to buy one & after 400 rounds, I've had 8 misfires/light hits. It's happened with both factory & reloads so I'm sure it ain't the ammo. It looks like it's going to get sent back to Smith...

(BTW I have no problem closing the slide with the slide release. It's definitely harder than a 1911 or a Glock though.)

Other than that here's my $.02:

Steel mags insert/drop out easier than Glock's.

Trigger pull is better than a Glock's.

Grip shape's more comfortable. I really like the beavertal tang extension.

The feed ramp fully supports the case in the chamber (this is a BIG improvement).

Accuracy sucks. I'm no accuracy freak but something better than 5" at 25 yards would be preferable.

If it weren't for the misfires, I'd be ordering a Milt Sparks Summer Special for it right now. But that will have to wait until after the ignition gets fixed. As they say, "stay tuned".

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:34:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Excellent review! I enjoyed reading it.

Now I can't wait to see Ernest Langdon go up against Dave Sevigny; M&P vs Glock. Makes for a very interesting Winter Championships, Carolina Cup and oh yeah, Nationals!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Have you had any problems with misfires/light primer hits?

Nope

(BTW I have no problem closing the slide with the slide release. It's definitely harder than a 1911 or a Glock though.)

A much different experience than mine.  Here it's not just harder, it's impossible.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

VJ

So is there any truth to this, or is it just the usual 'Net rumor?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Am I understanding this correctly, that in order to disassemble the gun you have to put your finger (or some other object) into the open chamber, then manipulate the take down lever?

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Am I understanding this correctly, that in order to disassemble the gun you have to put your finger (or some other object) into the open chamber, then manipulate the take down lever?

You need to insert a pen or the disassembly tool into the ejection port to flip the squiggly yellow lever forward.  Unlike a Glock or a Sigma, you do not have to pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#45]
1/9 update--probably the last one before this thing gets sent back to S&W
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
1/9 update--probably the last one before this thing gets sent back to S&W

Hey Glenn before you send it back you should give a little bit of that treatment that misterPX gives his sig. Ya know throw it around into the dirt and puddles and all that good stuff...... for um reliability in advers conditions testing yah that s it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#47]
My understanding is that Columbus (OH) PD is going to transition to these.  They've long carried SW 4506 (and whatever the smaller SW 45 is.)  They may not be one of the biggest agencies nationally, but with ~1800 officers, its not small, either.  It'll be interesting to see what there experiance is.  Of course, we'll see when (and if) it happens.
dp
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Sent the M&P back to S&W today because of the light primer hits I was having.

Took it apart, the firing pin was peened in the area where it contacts the FP safety. Looks like the safety plunger wasn't getting out of the way of the FP 100%. This would explain the light hits.

Stay tuned-
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#49]
once again smith and wesson produces a POS for a semi auto pistol.

The all metal Smith's are great I've had a couple of them. I love the wheel guns but they consistantly drop the ball on auto pistols (except their 1911s I shot one of those last weekend VERY GOOD pistol)
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#50]
We had one in our shop for eval.  About 15 pros went over it and most were unimpressed.  Ran through about 500 rounds or so, no malfs.  Most folks had problems with keeping a grip until we put the largest grip panel on.  Everyone thought the fact you had to use a tool/pen/anything or be a proctologist to move that damn yellow lever out of the way was STUPID.  No one wanted the mag disconnect, also STUPID. If I had one round in the pipe and no mag, I want to be able to USE IT.

It may be S&W's intent that the slide be placed back in battery by manually retracting it, but the method/technique should be the operators choice, not mandated by making it impossible with no purchase on the stop.

Can't see it displacing Glock as the top non-metal frame pistol anywhere in the near (or distant) future.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top