Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 2:37:22 PM EDT
If you only had the option of these two calibers which would everyone choose and why?  This is for my girlfried who need a very compact pistol and a light caliber.  
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
32acp, and lots of practice. Neither is a good choice, but something is better than nothing and in this case, I'd say bigger is better.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with the 22.

Neither is the best choice, but the 22 has greater availability and is far less expensive, allowing for more practice.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I have to vote 'no confidence' on the .22LR from a short barrel. Consider an
NAA Black Widow in .22Mag instead. Or go with a .32. I hear the P-3AT is
nice.

Sam

P.S. I carry a Black Widow in .22 Mag and a Kahr PM9.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Caliber depends on the gun, IMO. A semi would get the nod for .32acp, probably a NAA Guardian. Revolver would be a .22, probably a .22mag.

If she can shoot a .32acp, she should be able to handle a .380acp with proper grips & training.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The gun is a Beratta Tomcat  I believe.  It is the ones that have the barrel that flips up because she finds the slide hard to pull back.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If she can shoot a .32acp, she should be able to handle a .380acp with proper grips & training.

Or a 9mm for that matter.  The small Kahrs are tough to beat and have a real cartrige behind them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I'd go with a Kel-Tec or NAA Guardian, but that's me. OTOH,
the tip-up barrel makes it unnecessary to rack the slide.... Ever consider
a small .38 special or .32 H&R Mag revolver?

Sam
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The gun is a Beratta Tomcat  I believe.  It is the ones that have the barrel that flips up because she finds the slide hard to pull back.
Thanks

I have a Tomcat that I carry in a Galco pocket holster sometimes.  Accuracy is just fine, especially under 10 yards.  More than adequate to poke someone's eye out with.

I also have a NAA mini-.22.  It seems it hits very high, even at close range.  The Tomcat is easier to shoot well with.  Also much easier and faster to load/unload.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#9]

And lots of practice.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

And lots of practice.

+1

personally, its 9mm or bigger.....

.380acp at the least

HGs are already underpowered, no sence in carrying one thats even worse so

there are compact, comfortable, and safe 9mm/.380acps out there....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#11]
She is a wimp hence the tip up barrel.   I would love to get her to shoot a 9mm but unfortunatley women do not like to listen all the time.
Thanks for the info.
Dillon
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe that up-to-date records on defensive shootings show that the .22lr, .25 and.32 auto are about the same.  

Given that, I would go for a .380, or a Makarov!  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#13]
you could also get the phoenix arms hp22. It will cost about 120-150 for just the gun and you can get 3 inch and 5 inch barrels + a bigger capacity than the beretta ccw .22 series. It also comes with a lifetime warranty. I just bought one i won on gunbroker and cant wait to get it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Go with 32acp.  I'd say Winchester Silver Tips.  Gold Dots if they make them in that caliber.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#15]
The Beretta Tomcat in .32 has a bit of a bark to it.... like, almost as much as my P99 .40

I'd say get her to shoot a couple models if at all possible.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:40:49 AM EDT
[#16]
The Walther 22 is a neat gun and cheap to shoot.
If you go with a 32 CorBon makes a nasty hollow point.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:08:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Go with the 32, a good gun and Lots of practice..
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#18]
It is generally best to let the individual pick out the handgun for themselves with minimal influence from others.  

With that being said, my recommendation would depend on the gun and application.  However, if this handgun would be used for beginner's self-defense and target shooting I would lean toward a
.22lr REVOLVER.

For a beginner, I recommend .22lr revolvers due to simplicity, mild recoil, noise, inexpensive ammo.  For self defense use, a DA revolver is simple.  Pull trigger BANG, if no bang, pull trigger again.  The skills learned can easily transition to a larger caliber later.

Regarding the .32, I carry a NAA Guardian in .32acp almost daily and I think it is a reasonable compromise between concealability, power, reliability, and cost.  However, IMHO, a pocket semi-auto is NOT a beginner's pistol due to snappy recoil and firm grip required to avoid shooter induced jams.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Beretta used to make a .380 with the tipup barrel.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#20]
.32ACP if nothing else it will be more reliable than a rimfire cartridge. I traded in my Beretta M21A for a Kel-Tec P-32 years ago and never looked back. The Kel-Tec is smaller, thinner, lighter, and FAR more reliable.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I love my Keltec P32!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:24:47 AM EDT
[#22]
i have a beretta tomcat in stainless and it has been great!

have it for my back up gun and carry gold dots or federal hydrashocks staggered with winchester fmj's. i started a thread about mine with lots of .32 ammo reviews and expansion. everyone who has handled or shot my tomcat loves it and havent noticed the snap that everyone always refers, imo the tomcat would have the least since its pretty heavy for its size. the grip on it is great and feels like gripping a full size gun other than the pinky being left off. my fiance loves the gun but usually refers to it as cute

i carry mine in the front pocket in a donhume holster.

.32 ACP Winchester 60gr Silvertip JHP (Beretta 3032)

.32cal. handgun wetpack test

.32acp corbon and federal hydrashok

various .32acp gel test

speer gold dot out of a tomcat

here's my archived thread for those than can view it
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the info.  I gave many of the suggestions you gave me but, it her money her decision.  I will try to show her the Keltec because my buddy has one.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Another one to look at is the Taurus. It is available in both .32 and .380 and is bigger than most .380's  resulting in less recoil than other designs, is not a blowback resulting in even less felt recoil, and it  holds ten+ rounds. The only negative is it might be to big for her carry.

www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=MF1

www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=132BP&category=Pistol

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Hello adill84,

I would like to tell a little story:

Last summer my Wifey told me "I want my own handgun".  GREAT ! !   I thought.   "I've got a box full in my gun-room, go and pick out whatever you want" I said.  "No, no no" said Wifey, "I want my OWN and I want to pick it out too  ! "

Off to the local toy store.  After about an hour and a half SHE picked out a S&W 317 -- 3 inch barrel 22 revolver.  

Now remember - It's HER handgun, not one I gave her or one "someone" said "get hits one  !"  

Since SHE picked it out SHE likes to shoot it  !    And when I go to the range she tags along a LOT more than she did in the past -- because it's HER handgun  ! !  See how EASY this is ?!?!?!?!?

And let me ad that the Wifey is getting REAL good with the little S&W.  

If the TomCat is what your girlfirend wants, then get her the TomCat  ! !   If SHE likes it SHE"LL shoot it -- and maybe someday want something a little "bigger".  

By the way . . . . I have a TomCat.  GREAT and RELIABLE little gem . . . .

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Get her what fits, just don't let her try the .22lr......

Steve
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the help and the insight.  
Dillon
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Any .22 rimfire will have reliability issues with misfires, and should be rejected for that reason alone.

Go .32 & use FMJ. Hollow points don't have the necessary penetration.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#29]
FWIW, I have seen a friend get shot with a 32, and was astounded at the wounds.

Hit in both legs with FMJ's. Left tibian and fibia shattered, low velocity high impact wounding (torn skin, like the bone exploded outward, compound fracture, very gross), right femur broken. Both required Ti rods as replacement bones.

Taken out of the fight, immediately.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Any centerfire is going to be more reliable than a semiauto rimfire.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Since SHE picked it out SHE likes to shoot it  !    And when I go to the range she tags along a LOT more than she did in the past -- because it's HER handgun  ! !  See how EASY this is ?!?!?!?!?

I would rather have my wife pop 10 rds of CCI Stingers into someone than having her "try" to hit someone with a P32 and either miss or hit with one and flinch all the others. My wife liked the way the P32 felt in her hand, but once she shot it, she hated it. Then she never wanted to shoot it, and had no faith in it. But, she likes to shoot .22's and has more faith in her ability with them. Since my back and hip went out and the problems were worsened over the last few years by carrying .45's and revolver, now even I can't carry much bigger than a .22 without it hurting.
  Even when you have a "carry much, shoot little" gun (like when I had an S&W SW1911SC), that doesn't work with women. All she will reflect on is that even those few rounds are no fun to shoot, then she'll have no desire to shoot that gun. You have to get something as simple and enjoyable to shoot as possible, or when you would want her to use it, she may not because of being nervous or scared. If someone is in grabbing range, and has grabbed her or has her pinned, a knife is a better option. My wife is more confident that she can get her Kershaw Leek open and in someone than she is with getting a pistol out and firing well enough to hit someone with it, and so am I.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#32]

I'm not getting it.  At one outing I had 14-16yr old girls (newbie's to pistols) fighting over the right to shoot my P32. They all loved the little plastic pistol.

Later I took one of the 16 yr olds aside to shoot a .45 Colt SA.  She asked me to shoot it first and was scared by how much it recoiled. I told her it was fun to have it push your hand back and was it little more than a good handshake.  Then she took to it and said it was lots of fun to shoot!  Attitude is everything. I doubt your wife's problems has anything to do with the recoil impulse.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I didn't say that it hurt her to shoot it, or that it was physically impossible for her to shoot it due to pain, I just said she hated it. She didn't like the "way" it recoiled. She wasn't comfortable with the way it recoiled. in her hand. The last time she shot it, there was another girl there who's boyfriend was getting her to shoot one, and she liked the way it held, but not the way it shot. I shot fine with it, but also didn't like the way it shot. I would carry it and be able to defend myself with it if I had to.
Reaction to recoil is always psycological.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top