Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2007 10:21:00 PM EDT
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7673/24705841oh9.jpg
for a long time now ive sought a "deep cover" gun that i could carry with confidence, and conceal with relative ease on light dress days.  many weapons came close to being exactly what i wanted, but none fit all my needs.  the closest i had come was the springfield EMP, but that it wont cycle +P loads ruled that one out.  the g26 is a great weapon, but to thick for a pocket gun.  many manufacturers build fine sub-compacts (and i own an XD sub-compact) but just like the g26 the dang things are thick as bricks.  i was elated when i learned of the new walther PPS and i did a mad search trying to find one.  about a week or so ago a dealer in missoula montana found three at a distributor and i promptly placed my order.  i got a call today from my local dealer telling me that my new PPS had arrived.  i dropped everything and left work with high hopes.  :)

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/1139/18073877nk5.jpg
i was quite surprised when i opened the shipping box to find what i believe to be the nicest factory carry case ive seen.  the bright aluminum case is well constructed.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8760/30007855ed3.jpg
the weapon comes complete with three magazines, an eight round, a seven round, and a six round with the only difference being the size of the finger rest.  the eight round felt best in my hand, and the seven round was pretty decent too.  i dont much care for the 6 round since it offers no finger support and i prefer a full grip, but i can see how it would be convenient for slipping into the front pocket.  the weapon also comes with two backstraps.  the smaller one fits smaller hands and gives you a more american grip angle.  the larger one for larger hands gives you more of a european grip angle somewhat similar to glocks.  the weapon also comes with an owners manual, a lock, a spent shell casing, and the target that the weapon was tested into.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2593/61580886ao2.jpg
xd9 sub-compact beside the PPS

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8379/86580508ip6.jpg
glock 19 beside the PPS

the PPS stands for "Police Pistol Slim and as you can see from the pictures, it is indeed slim.  the weapon is so slim in fact that it felt awkward at first.  the size is more closely comparable to a walther P22 than it is other sub-compact 9mms.

at the range: i left the dealer where i picked up my weapon and headed to another dealer for some defensive ammunition (dealer #1 only stocks somewhat over-priced target ammunition).  i got 80 rounds of corbon 115 grain +P (holy smokes this stuff sizzles at 1350 fps!) and 20 rounds of corbon 125 grain +P (dang respectable at 1250 fps!).  i then headed over to walmart to pick up 400 rounds of 115 grain WWB.  i raced to the range to beat dusk, and loaded up all three magazines with 115 grain corbon +P jhp.  i selected my target and began shooting.  the first thing i noticed was how hot the corbons were!  i own several 9mms but typically shoot 125 grain corbons.  this was my first time shooting the 115 grain versions and they almost remind me of 125 grain .357 sig corbon loads.  once i got used to the recoil (wasnt bad) the weapon settled in nicely....until my 21st. round.  after the 20th round the slide locked back and the slide lock wouldnt release.  i put a mini-screwdriver in to leverage it a little and it released.  i loaded up some WWB and after my first shot the slide again locked back on the slide lock and it would not release again.  i unloaded it and inspected it and saw no damage.  at this point i decided that its not a break-in issue and have decided to ship my new weapon back to walther for repairs.  upon closer inspection it appears that the spring popped off the slide stop and is sitting underneath the slide stop lever preventing it from going down far enough to disengage.  i could pop the spring back on, but if it came off after only 20 rounds it will surely come off again eventually and id rather walther make a real fix.

what i like:

- fit and finish appear perfect on this weapon.  there is no visible flaw anywhere and i can usually spot something even if its a simple machine mark.

- the size is perfect for concealed carry.  you could stick this weapon dang near anywhere comfortably.  the thickness (or lack thereof) is exactly what i was looking for.

- the different size magazines make this weapon adaptable to any style of dress

- asthetically this weapon is beautiful, although this doesnt matter at all to me.

- the oversize magazine release works great.

- the weapon feeds very smooth.  no "clunk-clunk" when you release the slide.

- recoil is almost non-existant.  i expected the hot corbons to recoil more severly in such a little weapon, but the dual recoil spring did a great job soaking it up.

what i dont like:

- it broke!  i know that any manufacturer can make mistakes on production weapons....even walther....and with this being an all new design growing pains are to be expected.  still, im quite disappointed.

- i dont much care for the backstrap safety.  when you remove the backstrap it renders the weapon unusable.  while this sounds great in theory, to me it seems like over-complicating the weapon, giving it an unnecessary failure point.

bottom line: its to early to tell.  ill ship the weapon off to walther for repairs and try again.  ill update once i have my weapon back.

i didnt mention trigger, and wont until ive had a chance to really try it out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 5:37:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Great report Montana! I love both my P99AS and my P22. I was thinking about picking up the PPS but now I think I'll wait for the next version. Please keep us up to date with progress. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 5:39:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I have high hopes for the PPS. I carry a Kahr PM9 but I think some competition in the micro 9 niche will get us even better alternatives (or at least bring prices down.  $40 for a Kahr mag?  Give me a break!).
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Good read.  I didn't even know these were out yet.

Maybe I missed it in your post, but does the manual say this gun is rated for +P ammo?

Those magazine release levers are really long!
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been waiting for someone to report their findings on the PPS- thanks!!

The teething issues are to be expected on a first run pistol, as you expected.  I had a nightmare experience with a Kahr K9 when they were new.  I expect your experience will be much smoother.

I have to say that the size of the PPS looks to be ideal for my needs for a slim carry 9mm.

Please post again your range results when your pistol is returned to you.
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the pps +p ratted?
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks guys.  the pps is rated for +P ammunition, they only caution that it "acclerates wear".  i spoke with walther this morning who told me not to use +P+, but that +P should function fine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Great report Montana! I am looking forward to reading another once the gun comes back and you are able to put alot of rounds through it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
thanks guys.  the pps is rated for +P ammunition, they only caution that it "acclerates wear".  i spoke with walther this morning who told me not to use +P+, but that +P should function fine.

Good to know.
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Man, that is one ugly pistol.....

Sucks that she broke on you. It's a new design, and new designs always have growing pains. Hopefully they'll fix it and you'll never have another issue with it. I didn't even know that the Walther PPS was out yet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#11]
How much did it cost?
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry to hear that your PPS broke.  Been looking at this in comparison with the Kahr P-9, because my wife cannot retract the slide of the P-9.
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
How much did it cost?
$615 + shipping, sportsmans warehouse in missoula montana.
Link Posted: 7/31/2007 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Great write up, Thanks!
I've been looking for super compact, but was considering the .380 PPK or Sig 232 since they were the only ones small enough to my liking, but now I know about the PPS which seems to be on a similar size scale. Its also a pretty good looking pistol.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 2:09:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Great Report
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:55:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd like to hear if the pistol is back from Walther, what are your further impressions, etc.

Any update?

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:12:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top