Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 3:53:11 PM EDT
Is the Para Ordnance Colonel w/ bobbed hammer, able to:

1)  be decocked so that you can carry; w/ loaded  chamber hammer down?

or

2) is it only possible to do this chambered w/ hammer back and safety?

The pics I 've seen mostly show hammer down w/ safety off or they show hammer back w/ safety engaged.   IMO, logic would lend that you'd be able to 'de-cock' it being that it is a DA pistol.

Any help with these questions would be appreciated as I am trying the understand the function of this handgun w/ both SA/DA function and bobbed hammer.   Is there a way to lower the hammer on a loaded chamber without firing it?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't onwned a Para in a little while so I may be wrong, but I do not believe that any Para pistol has a decocker.  The LDA trigger on the para's is double action, but the rest of the pistol is pretty much a 1911.

ETA:  With the LDA's, there really is no need for a decocker because the hammer follows the slide back after every round.  I just checked Para's site and the Colonel is a LDA pistol.  You would have no use for a decocker.  The pistol will never stay "cocked" with the lda trigger.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, thats what I was missing.  I didn't know that the hammer rode home ever time.

eta

This screams "slam fire" if you ask me or is it just me  

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]
My daily CCW is a Para 12.45 LDA, which has what I have heard called a "slap hammer." It's a nearly flat piece of metal with absolutely nothing resembling a spur, or even the nub of a spur. It does ride home with every shot, but remember there is all kinds of junk in there* that disconnects the hammer from the firing pin except when the trigger is depressed at the proper point in the cycle. I never really thought about slam fires, but upon reflection, having put hundreds of rounds through the pistol, it has a pucker factor of 0.0.
*Sorry for the technical jargon. I can't help myself.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't believe the LDA system lets the hammer rest on the firing pin.  If you haven't shot a Para with the LDA, try to find someone who has one and take it for a test drive.  Some folks don't care for the feel of the trigger.  It is almost like a two stage trigger.  I had the Para Carry.  I actually liked the trigger and the pistol was very accurate, but mine had feeding issues that I never could get worked out so I got rid of it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a Colonel and carry it from time to time.  It is perfectly safe, with no chance of a slam-fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top