Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2023 6:29:54 PM EDT
The issue is that I have an older family friend (actually a relative by marriage) who has a good condition firing P-38 that was a WWII bringback by a relative.  Instead of selling it outright, he would like to trade it for a more modern pistol with modern sights and/or laser, as he is approaching 80 years old and wants something with better sights and perhaps a little easier to manipulate.  I naturally tried to dissuade him from getting rid of it, as I see this weapon as something that should be passed down to his kids; however, this is the third time he has asked me for assistance with this quest.  As he is insistent, I was wondering if anyone was familiar with a reputable dealer or collector in or near the Fort Myers/Cape Coral area I could link him up with who has the chops to make sure he at least gets a good deal?  Naturally, I would normally gladly help him with something like this, and would consider buying from him outright; however, since there is "family" (cousins) involved, discretion dictates that I don't get TOO involved with this transaction in the event that he (or his heirs) have regrets later.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Just to give some idea of value so he can ball park what he might get in trade ......

I had one that I inherited from my father. It was in great condition. Had original holster and 2 mags. I think it was made in '44. Sold it for $1500 in 2020.

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

Just to give some idea of value so he can ball park what he might get in trade ......

I had one that I inherited from my father. It was in great condition. Had original holster and 2 mags. I think it was made in '44. Sold it for $1500 in 2020.

View Quote

Thanks!  I've actually fired it several times and really enjoyed it (kind of reminds me of a Beretta M9 or other 92-series pistol).  Unfortunately, I don't remember the particular make and serial#, and have never field stripped it, so I am not sure if it is completely original or, as a military gun and battlefield pick-up, some type of mixmaster.  I'll see if I can get some pictures.
Top Top