Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/14/2005 3:51:10 PM EDT

My thoughts:  Since both pistols are priced almost the same,  have internal extractors, series 70 internals and light rails,  I find it hard to choose between the two.  Warranty service is the same from what I have experienced with Springfield and heard first hand from Kimber owners.   I hate the grips on both.  The rear sight doesn't do much for me as I want this:

So, give me your opinions please...
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Supposedly Springfield has a killer lifetime warranty. I know my Kimber only has a 1 year warranty. I may get a stainless full size SA 1911 next. Or another kimber..either way I think I'll be happy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#5]
As I've carried more and more, I agree about not needed the accessory rail.  For the price of these two, I'd buy two used Kimber Customs.  

Two is one and one is none.

R.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
C'mon now, AJ. You have to have one railed gun. I plan on having Sir Charles build me one.

Be Well!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably the biggest factor will be your budget. I just picked up a Kimber Warrior from ADCO because they had a killer price. I just couldn`t resist. Otherwise I would have said nice pic and moved on. I`ve gotten to visit with it once.(I`m waiting on my NJ pistol purchase permit to come through.) It seems like a well made pistol. I`m trying to patiently wait to shoot it.

Or you could simply follow the arfcom mantra: Get Both!
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#8]
You jumped on that just in time, too, Bob! I had to locate another one for a gentleman that was just a "little slow on the trigger", if you will.

Be well!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I`m waiting on my NJ pistol purchase permit to come through.)

That just plain ole sucks.  I'm sorry to hear you have to get a permit.  Here in TX with our CHL, you can walk out with a new pistol in just a couple of minutes.  

R.

P.S.  Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd go with the SA, they are always super tight across the board and the operator is even better. I've personally seen three Kimbers suffer breakage at the range (2 safeties & one plunger tube).
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my Kimber TLE, so I'd vote for the Warrior.  On the other hand, the first 1911 I ever yearned for was the Springfield Operator with the full length dust cover.  I doubt you'll be unhappy either way.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I vote for the Springfield. I have one and love it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Springfield - I have one of the first Loaded Operators and would not trade it for anything! I have had several Kimbers but they have come and gone!
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Well... Lets get to what you want to change, Grips & Sights.

Throw a stone in any direction and you'll hit a grip manufacturer. It's a circus, take your pick. The sights you want are heinie's. He makes for both Springfield and Kimber. Nice pick by the way. OK, both problems solved easily.

Both guns come from quality manufacturers. I have many of both, and both are clients. They are both the leading manufacturers of 1911 type firearms. This is to say that they are both on top of their game in the mass production side of the business. ( I think Springer has Kim by the nuts in the custon shop though ) Customer service is another consideration, one that usually sways me. I can't give you a clue to that since I have never had to return or had problems with either.

As far as kimber is concerned, don't let that WARRIOR name entice you to buy it. Take a look on their web page. They have plenty of other CUSTOM guns in their Special addition archive that you can order.  Spec Addition The Warrior just doesn't do it for me. You can buy a Mil-Spec elseware and Have a dawson rail added, Heinie sights, Grips, and a trigger job for less than the Warrior. As I was looking for the links I found that Kimber has a NEW Warrior. The Desert Warrior.

It's a fine gun if you like it.

The Springer Operator (MC) is the same damn thing as above. The Operator has been around for a while in different shapes and forms, the TRP, Loaded, and MC. I have dealt with their employees more and I can say they are delightful. You can take a Mil-Spec Springer and put it through their custom shop and have a truley custom Gun for the same as the Warrior Or MC.

An old friend of mine in the boating business that was a die hard Mercury dealer said,
"When any engine is working they are the BEST, when they don't, They are Shit"

This can be said for anything...      

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 2:45:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Guess what my answer is!

I love this Operator. By far best gun I EVER shot!
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#17]
The Warrior is the only Kimber I would ever consider buying.  The internal extractor, no firing pin safety and the non-full length guide rod are big deals to me.  

That said, I'd still go with the Springfield.  If you use a high thumb hold you will likely notice that the tang on the Kimber is slightly lower than the Springer and that is enough to cause a bit of pain in the thumb.  If you don't ride the safety, it doesn't matter and some hands can't or don't notice the difference, but I do.

I also just like the overall feel of the Springer.  I can't quite place my finger on it, but there is something about that MC Operator that just feels better than any other pistol in my collection.  Maybe its the Gatorback grips!  
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I like the 25th Anniversary Kimber Custom. About $750 and all the old parts we've come to love.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#20]
effinNewGuy I was gonna try to get a picture of the night sights on the Kimber Warrior for you, but my camera and photo skils are not up to par, sorry.

Even though I only have one, I still want to add my 2 cents I love my Warrior. Feels good to holster a 1911 after having sigs, berettas, Hi Powers and Glocks in them for so long.

Both are fine guns, but you should upgrade to novack, trijicon, or meprolight sights. If the springfield doesn't come with them figure at least another 100 to that price. Look for the best deal, both are outstanding guns. I got my kimber for 1025 + tax! So all prices are negotiable.

good luck.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#21]
My vote goes to the Warrior.

I have just never been able to get into the Springfields.  Their "loaded" guns just never did it for me, and have always felt gritty and had extremely sharp edges.  Two years ago when I was getting back into 1911s, everyone told me Springfield had really improved in the 3 years I had been carrying Glocks.  I checked out a couple and they all had those same old problems.  While I suspect that the Operator is better fit & finish than the standard "Loaded", I just can't get over the "Springfield" on the side.  As Hawkeye says though, I wouldn't turn one down.

I also prefer the ambi-safety on the Warrior because it doesn't use the grip panel to hold it on.  Having that replaced would negate the $100+/- savings of the Operator.

RE: light rails on guns, it really depends on what you're using the gun for.  If (when?) I wind up with a Warrior it won't be as a CCW (I already have two 1911s for that).  I would use it in classes and competitions where I might have to transition to a sidearm from a carbine at night.  Trying to draw a pistol, a light, and contend with a carbine dangling on a sling just isn't as easy as having the light attached to the pistol.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My vote goes to the Warrior.

I have just never been able to get into the Springfields.  Their "loaded" guns just never did it for me, and have always felt gritty and had extremely sharp edges.  Two years ago when I was getting back into 1911s, everyone told me Springfield had really improved in the 3 years I had been carrying Glocks.  I checked out a couple and they all had those same old problems.  While I suspect that the Operator is better fit & finish than the standard "Loaded", I just can't get over the "Springfield" on the side.  As Hawkeye says though, I wouldn't turn one down.

I also prefer the ambi-safety on the Warrior because it doesn't use the grip panel to hold it on.  Having that replaced would negate the $100+/- savings of the Operator.

RE: light rails on guns, it really depends on what you're using the gun for.  If (when?) I wind up with a Warrior it won't be as a CCW (I already have two 1911s for that).  I would use it in classes and competitions where I might have to transition to a sidearm from a carbine at night.  Trying to draw a pistol, a light, and contend with a carbine dangling on a sling just isn't as easy as having the light attached to the pistol.

Both are great guns, but I own a Kimber and have sold the 2 springfields I've owned.

Never really thought about it, but a huge +1 on the springfields having very sharp edges.  I think you get a bit more for your money with the Kimber.

IDK what the MC operator comes with, but the loaded operator came with a two peice guide rod.  I replaced my Kimber one peice with a GI, and put my kimber rod in my friends springfield,  and threw the fucking 2 peice in the backyard, where hopefully it rusts away.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, based on the picture it looks like the MC has a GI style plug, so that anwswers that.

Also...I own a TLE RL2...hence having to replace mine with a GI...

Sorry for all this damn confusion.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Well, based on the picture it looks like the MC has a GI style plug, so that anwswers that.

I have an operator, I want a warrier. But if I had neither, and they were both priced teh same, I'd go with the one that had that didn't have a full length guide rod.
After that, I'd just flip a coin.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#25]
If the Springifeld is sans the ILS system, just flip a coin.

If it has the ILS, skip it and get the Kimber.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If the Springifeld is sans the ILS system, just flip a coin.

If it has the ILS, skip it and get the Kimber.

There is that, but the ILS takes about 5 minutes to replace.
Course, I guess the guide rod does too.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Option 3: Sig GSR
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Option 3: Sig GSR
www.sigarms.com/apps/cmt/img/granite-series-rail®-large.jpg

As a former GSR owner, I can say it is not in the same league.  The trigger sucks due to the trigger activated firing pin safety.  The grip safety has a vertical bump that doesn't fit anybody's hand that I know of.  The extractor is weak and the spring needs replaced frequently.  The pin that holds the extractor in comes loose.  The feed ramp may need a good polishing.  The chamber will need a good polishing.  It doesn't come with night sights.  

The GSR was a good idea, but it just needs too much attention to be right.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I looked and fondled and asked questions (and got answers) about the GSR at the store when I was pawing the Warrior and Operator.  It got dropped real quick from my choices.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd probably start looking at price if they (obviously) are a close comparison for you.  

Do keep in mind that S.A does have a nice warranty to back you up.  

I looked at both the Kimber's and S.A. when I was looking for a target model.  When it came down to it, I went with the S.A. and have never been sorry.  It's a nice solid shooter and I expect I'll have it for a LONG time.  

It seemed to me, Kimber had some flashy details and "improvements" and along with it, a thicker price tag.  Just didn't appeal to me, maybe I'm just too traditional, but I certainly don't regret my choice.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#31]
When looking at price try Sporting Arms.

I bought my Operator there for $909.00

They have the Kimber Warrior but its POR.

Give them a call.. Great people
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
When looking at price try Sporting Arms.

I bought my Operator there for $909.00

They have the Kimber Warrior but its POR.

Give them a call.. Great people

+1 for Sporting Arms.  They have the best prices and good service.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#33]
i hate to sound like a GD homo...  but get both!!!

I'd say the kimber, it will be worth it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:36:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Some other post in this forum was talking about the Dawson rail that  (I'm assuming) is on the Warrior.  If this is fact,  and again assuming that the Springfield has the Picatinny rail,  does it mean that  the Warrior has proprietary accessories for it?  Will it limit the choices I have as far as attachments?  I am leaning more and more towards the Springer.    

Thanks for everyone's input and comments by the way.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 2:01:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Some other post in this forum was talking about the Dawson rail that  (I'm assuming) is on the Warrior.  If this is fact,  and again assuming that the Springfield has the Picatinny rail,  does it mean that  the Warrior has proprietary accessories for it?  Will it limit the choices I have as far as attachments?  I am leaning more and more towards the Springer.    

Thanks for everyone's input and comments by the way.  

The Dawson rail is an accessory rail. The Marines, and LAPD SWAT use it, among others. It does required a modification to the weapon light.

The Warrior uses a Picatinny style rail, similar to the Operator. The Warrior doesn't use the Dawson rail. The comment earlier was to buy a different model from Kimber and add a Dawson Rail to mount the light.

I have a Sure-Fire Nitrolon weapon light on my Operator. The only mod I had to make was to Dremel off the leg of the T so that it fit the cross-slots. It out to fit the Warrior as well.

Too bad I don't have one to try it on to confirm.

ETA, I gotta start using preview.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 2:20:01 AM EDT
[#36]
both!!!

spoil yourself!
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 3:04:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
both!!!

spoil yourself!

I wish!   Unfortunately, funds prohibit me from indulging the addiction.  

Styfe--- thanks for clearing that up for me.  Comprehension skills are suffering due to age.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Post pics when you get what you want please .  
I am in the same boat you are in right now , maybe in a week or two I will have one of them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I have one of those brothers girlfriends cousin who knows someone who has a second cousin twice removed stories.  

I was talking to a fairly reputable gun dealer in Omaha, Neb and he mentioned speaking with a famous pistol smith who lives in Fremont, Neb.  He runs a shop called Slides and Cylinders, (I think that is the name).  All I know is that he is a nationally known smith.  I first heard of him from a gun dealer in California when we were on vacation.  He said that he has more Kimbers come into his shop than any other 1911, due to premature wear and tear.  He did say that Springfields manage to hold up very well and pack an excellent warranty.

That being said I would stick with the Springfield and get some new grips.

ETA:  But I do not want to start a bashing thread.  That is just something I heard from a local gun dealer.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Cylinder & Slide
In Frement, NE.

Now I have a reason to visit my sister.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Does the Springfield use MIM?  If not, get the Springfield.

Thats what I want to know as well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#43]
OF course.

Be well!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Kimber Warrior, No F-ING FLGR.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#45]
If they make the Kimber Warrior better than the TLE/RL or the CDP that I had and got rid of I would consider it.  All my springers run well right out the box but I have had better luck with them.  Some people have better luck with Kimber.  I will tell you this and it is not my opinion, the customer service at SA will blow Kimber out of the water.

And to let you know my choice, my spinger mc is already in the mail headed to my dealer.  If you shop you can get them for $850 to $900 shipped so it is worth it.  JMO        
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I made the choice today!

And the winner is.............the Springfield Operator!!   I looked thoroughly at both pistols again.  Just seems the fit and finish on the Operator is better than the Kimber (Could be just that one particular Warrior the store had in stock or... maybe not).  I checked the slide fit from the back on the Springer (firing pin stop area) and was impressed  (again!) at how much tighter it looked.  Hated the the Pachmayr grips so that will have to go.  Trigger pull is beautiful,  the sights make the target easy to acquire, the stock magazine is so-so,  the rails look rock solid and the OD Green frame (which matches my other Springfield) are a cool even finish and stands out well against the black slide.  The beavertail blends smoothly with the frame when I ran the web of my hands up and down it  (yes I was stroking it in a way ) so I know I will not have any issues there.  All in all, a thoroughly built and well thought out pistol.    Paper targets, soda cans, clay pigeons, bowling pins and terrorists beware!!!!

ETA:   Thanks for everyone's comments and replies and thoughts and advice.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Before you even ask,
Gunner Grips, and Wilson Mags.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Before you even ask,
Gunner Grips, and Wilson Mags.

Damn he beat me to it!

Before I shot my Operator I put Gunner Grips on it and ordered 5 Wilson Mags.  haven't had a problem yet and I carry her everyday in my Milt Sparks Versa Max II.

Awesome choice you won't be disappointed!
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#49]
PICS!!!

Please?
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 2:50:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Good choice (IMHO), now go with it and don't look back.

Is this your first 1911?  If so, you are in for a treat.  It'll soon be there like a best friend...

Gundraw

ETA: Yes, we need pics.  No-one will believe you actually bought it unless you do...

ETA II: I'm sure Wilson's are awesome as well.  But I've been loving my Chip McCormicks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top