Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 8:18:18 PM EDT
OK, so I took my new (to me) CD to the range today.  It shot very well and felt good.  I had a problem though.  A couple of times in the box of 50, the round wouldn't chamber and of course the slide wouldn't close.  This of course was a little disturbing the first time it happend.  This happened twice with the regular 8 round clip.  It happened everytime w/ the 10 round clip.  Actually I could never get the first round to chamber on the 10, so that might be a different issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
OK, so I took my new (to me) CD to the range today.  It shot very well and felt good.  I had a problem though.  A couple of times in the box of 50, the round wouldn't chamber and of course the slide wouldn't close.  This of course was a little disturbing the first time it happend.  This happened twice with the regular 8 round clip.  It happened everytime w/ the 10 round clip.  Actually I could never get the first round to chamber on the 10, so that might be a different issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

1) Those are magazines, not clips.
2) Charles Daly pistols aren't exactly known for quality but what you describe sounds like more of a magazine problem than a gun problem, assuming it always happens on first round.

If it wasn't always happening on the first round, it could be a spring problem, extractor could be too tight, feed ramp could need polishing.......several potential problems.

Step 1: acquire some GOOD magazines (wilson 47) and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the tip.  I'll look into the wilson magazines.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
So here's the next dumb question.  Will any 45 ACP 1911 magazine fit on my CD?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:21:58 AM EDT
[#4]
They should fit if it is the correct mag and model. An officer mag will most likely not fit the full sized pistol however any governmet model mag should fit a government model CD 1911. I purchased some Novak mags and I like them a lot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#5]
It could be ammo related...were you shooting ball? Hollowpoints? Etc...

Is the barrel ramped, or is it a standard 1911 barrel type?

I have that happen to me every now and again; a failure to chamber. Almost all the time it's because the round in the mag isn't fully presented (i.e. the front of it is down lower than it should be, so it just smacks into the frame instead of feeding into the chamber).

It happens to me now and again with USGI mags...I'm considering upgrading their springs, but since the mags are brand-spanking-new, I figure I'll run a bunch of rounds through them and see if they loosen up any.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It could be ammo related...were you shooting ball? Hollowpoints? Etc...

Is the barrel ramped, or is it a standard 1911 barrel type?

I have that happen to me every now and again; a failure to chamber. Almost all the time it's because the round in the mag isn't fully presented (i.e. the front of it is down lower than it should be, so it just smacks into the frame instead of feeding into the chamber).

It happens to me now and again with USGI mags...I'm considering upgrading their springs, but since the mags are brand-spanking-new, I figure I'll run a bunch of rounds through them and see if they loosen up any.

I was shooting ball.  As for the barrel, I think it's the standard.  What do you mean by ramped?

That's what mine is doing.  I was using cheaper ammo (CCI).  I would love if there was an easy fix as I generally liked the gun.  I'll try it with some better stuff.  Maybe that and a new magazine will be all I need.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you know if the feed ramp and throat are polished? Mine CD has been ramp and throat polished and it will eat any ammo I have thrown in it.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you know if the feed ramp and throat are polished? Mine CD has been ramp and throat polished and it will eat any ammo I have thrown in it.

They are polished but not as shiny as yours.  The most likely culprit is probably the magazines as they are old.  And honestly, I don't know if both happened on one.  Anyway, I just need to play w/ it some more.  thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#9]
My Charles Daly M5 was having problems chambering the first round from the magazine.  It looked like the round wasn't sliding up under the extractor.  I polished the breech face with some Flitz and my dremel till it was shiny and the problem is gone.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My Charles Daly M5 was having problems chambering the first round from the magazine.  It looked like the round wasn't sliding up under the extractor.  I polished the breech face with some Flitz and my dremel till it was shiny and the problem is gone.

Flitz and dremel?  What's that?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
So I hit the range w/ some better ammo.  I only had one misfeed and I marked that clip.  The other one worked fine.  I'm going to keep an eye on it.  I'm still hoping it's a mag/ammo issue.  Still haven't had a chance to get a top of the line mag.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#12]
OK, so I've done three things to hopefully solve my problem.

1. Got invovled in the wilson group buy.  Two 47D's should be here in a couple of weeks.

2. I bought some better practice ammo.

3.  I got on the CD website and requested an owners manual which they sent free of charge.  Using that, I took the think apart of a thorough cleaning.  Some of the inside was pretty nasty, but it's clean and oiled now.  I couldn't figure out how to break it down before.

I'll let you guys know if the problem continues.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Try your pistol with good quality magazines (WILSON 47 or MecGar) and watch your problem disappear, from what you have said.

Just for an add-on most CD's come with MecGar mags. Mine which is an older model, came with one from the factory.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
OK, so I've done three things to hopefully solve my problem.

1. Got invovled in the wilson group buy.  Two 47D's should be here in a couple of weeks.

2. I bought some better practice ammo.

3.  I got on the CD website and requested an owners manual which they sent free of charge.  Using that, I took the think apart of a thorough cleaning.  Some of the inside was pretty nasty, but it's clean and oiled now.  I couldn't figure out how to break it down before.

I'll let you guys know if the problem continues.

How are you chambering your 1st round?

I find from years of handling and owning 1911's that you should not use the slide lock as a slide release to chamber a round.

Next time you are the range, with slide closed or locked open, insert fresh loaded mag, and pull the slide all the way to the rear and release. Slide should slam closed. Don't ride the slide closed and don't use the slide lock. I believe the recoil spring needs to go through the full range of motion to chamber the 1st round on any 1911.

Working on and off at a range, I saw a guy with a SW1911 have the same issue. I shot his gun w/o a problem. But ofcourse I was chambering the 1st round like I said above. He couldn't understand/comprehend what I said and sold the gun at a loss.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#16]
It's probably a mag issue.  For the 1911 (as well as most guns), the weak link is the magazines.  As for the 10-rounder, if it's a metalform, I've never used a metalform 10-rounder that worked properly in ANY 1911.  The Wilson 10-rounders are fantastic.  Get some of those.  I'm guessing that maybe your 8-rounders might be having problems too.  Get some good magazines.  It's more likely the mags than the gun.  So don't go monkeying around with what is probably a good gun just yet.  Sure the CDs aren't $2k guns, but that doesn't make them bad guns.  I mean, look at the Glocks... they cost next to nothing and are fantastic pistols.  Don't feel bad about the CD, it's probably the mags.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Well as soon as the group buy mags come in, I'll head straight to the range.  I really hope that's the problem as I really like the gun (good feel, accurate, simple).
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#18]
What drobs said everbody that tries to put a round in hollywood style will have problems loading thier first round!!

I personaly teach the push pull,pull back on the slide while pushing forward on the grips!!!

You won't get my 10 mil to load any other way(spring is just too strong)!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Flitz and dremel?  What's that?[/quote]

both are good stuff.  Be careful

+1 on Wilson mags...In my experience they are the best...much much better than CMC.

Link Posted: 10/15/2005 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Well as soon as the group buy mags come in, I'll head straight to the range.  I really hope that's the problem as I really like the gun (good feel, accurate, simple).

Did you inherit this gun also?
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Flitz and dremel?  What's that?[/quote]

both are good stuff.  Be careful

+1 on Wilson mags...In my experience they are the best...much much better than CMC.

Do NOT get a dremel and start "polishing" stuff. If you do not know what you are doing you will ruin your gun in double quick time. I won't even TOUCH a 1911 that looks like it's been dremmeled on. Someone else can buy it and take a chance on it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 4:31:21 AM EDT
[#22]
OK here goes. A few years ago i bought my first charles daily and it was a disaster. stovepipes and failure to load. every one is correct about the magazines and the feed ramp. after posting a complaint much like this one in a forum i was contacted by C.D. and they paid for the shipping to them and back to me. the gun was flawless after that. they replaced the mags with wilson mags and i believe they removed some metal from the feed ramp making it slightly steeper and polished the heck out of it. it ran perfectly and never malfunctioned again. however, this was to be a self defenseive /backup weapon for the home and during hunting season. my buddy knew i was not really happy with it over all, so he bought it from me at near what i paid for it. i took that money and put half down on a colt. i now own a stainless commander. best move i ever made. C.D.'s arent made all that well, but they do work once the mags have been tuned/replaced and the ramp is polished/corrected. and for a cheap weapon they are tack drivers right out of the box. the C.D. was my second pistol in a year with little to know shooting experience and i was shooting high 80's into the high 90's ( as scored by leo qualifications) overall a "good" gun, just not a great gun.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you inherit this gun also?

Yup.  I really like it and don't plan on selling.  That's one of the many reasons why I hope it's a simple fix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top