Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2007 7:36:57 AM EDT
Here are a few pictures of my TRP Operator that I had John Harrison do some custom work on.  (Harrison Custom)  John did some incredible work such as a custom made rear sight from bar stock to replace the stock adjustable, as well as making a custom closed end reverse recoil spring plug for use with a bull barrel and short (standard) guide rod, which also keeps that area closed up so debris can't get in as easily.

Beyond that the list of work is almost too long to list but i'll throw out a few of the things done........

14k Gold bead in a new front sight, machined from an oversized blank.
Nowlin barrel.
Greider trigger.
Basic trigger job using the existing trigger parts, (which happen to be a Berryhill Ultimate hammer, sear and disco).
Wilson Ambi-safety.
High cut front strap.
Refinished in IonBond DLC.

......and a few other things.

I can tell you that the end product is amazing and dealing with John has been a pure pleasure.

For the most part I tried to keep things practical and free of fluff, but the end product still turned out looking good.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 7:45:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I was wodnering why the muzzle looked so odd, then I realized because the barrel had been crowned flush with the slide. I don't like that look, but then again, looks are at the bottom of the list. Functionality first.

The rear sight looks great. The adjustable stock one really turned me off to the TRP Op. I'd like it much more with tritiums, though. The recoil spring plug is a wonderful idea.

Overall, I'd call it very nice. That should bring you joy for many years to come.
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks SOLID!

Those guys ROCK!

(Really don't like the full-length rail, though   )
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 1:07:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input guys!

I added a few pictures, including a couple more that show the rear sight from different angles since this is what most people are interested in.
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Smokin'! I really like his "replacement" rear sight for the Bomar cut.
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#5]
The only thing I don't like is the flush barrel but that us purely subjective. Other than that Harrison fixed everything that has always kept me from buying a TRP Op.

Link Posted: 10/25/2007 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my Colt back from John Tuesday.It was a pleasure doing business with him.My photo skills don't do John's craftmanship justice.                                      
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice lookin Springer there Hard Boiled... I got to hold that sucka at the Deerfield Range.. really sweet...How did you come out on the mag upgrades?
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#9]
That thing is amazing Hardboiled. The Ionbond finish looks great. He did a great job on it. How do you like the finish. Did you have to do any prep work for the finish or did he do everything?

Link Posted: 10/25/2007 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nice lookin Springer there Hard Boiled... I got to hold that sucka at the Deerfield Range.. really sweet...How did you come out on the mag upgrades?

Thanks hooks!

The Tripp upgrades work perfectly.  I had a mix of those and standard Wilson 47Ds at home, however now all I have is the 47Ds with Tripp upgrades.  Thanks again for letting me use one of yours at Deerfield.  Hope we run into each other again, it's always nice to know someone at the range !
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 12:53:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That thing is amazing Hardboiled. The Ionbond finish looks great. He did a great job on it. How do you like the finish. Did you have to do any prep work for the finish or did he do everything?

Thanks!

So far the finish is great.  It's black , and it seems incredibly tough.  I had John do the factory MSH as well, (which is set aside for now), and I just had to 'test' the finish on the backside of that.  I tried and tried to scratch it by scraping it with a pointed hardened punch, but in the end I failed.  Simply amazing stuff!

As far as prep work, John took care of everything.
Link Posted: 10/26/2007 3:57:13 AM EDT
[#13]

RE: magazine upgrades...

Glad to hear they worked for you....I'm going to test some LSWC 200 grain bullets in the magazines this weekend..
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Thanks!

So far the finish is great. It's black , and it seems incredibly tough. I had John do the factory MSH as well, (which is set aside for now), and I just had to 'test' the finish on the backside of that. I tried and tried to scratch it by scraping it with a pointed hardened punch, but in the end I failed. Simply amazing stuff!

As far as prep work, John took care of everything.

That is awesome HardBoiled. Sounds like that stuff works as good as it looks. I love the black. And the fact that it is that tough, Man, thats just awesome. So do you know how much he charges for the Ionbond? I didnt see that listed in his site with the other finishes.

Link Posted: 10/27/2007 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I really do not feel comfortable posting the price Mr. Harrison charged me in case the price has changed for some reason.

Do not hesitate to contact Mr. Harrison for a quote though.  He is excellent to work with, professional and very polite.  Great guy to work with!
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#16]
No problem, I understand. I plan on putting a call in on Monday. I fiqure hes not in on the weekends.

Link Posted: 10/27/2007 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Flippin sweet bro!
Link Posted: 10/30/2007 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, HardBoiled.  I think that's the closest I've ever come to weeping in an ARFCOM thread.  That's absolutely gorgeous and I bet it shoots like a dream.  I'm very envious.  Congrats on a sweet piece.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Standard cost of work are listed on John's website. Hardboiled original post listed a link to the website.

Nice gun hardboiled.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks everyone!

Glad to see some of you enjoyed the pics.  Now I just have to find the time and money for enough ammo to go beat the snot out of it
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 12:50:34 AM EDT
[#22]
That looks like a Heinie rear that has been modded up. You can almost see where HEINIE was stamped, right at the front edge of the sight. He makes a Slant Pro to fit the Kimber adj. sight cut.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#23]
He specifically says that sight was cut frombar stock.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Update on the rear sight.  Back when John made the rear sight for that gun, his own sight wasn't available yet.  Now he has his own fixed rear sight design and mass produced to replace Bomar and Bomar-clone rear sights.  The can be purchased from:

http://www.harrisoncustom.com/Home.aspx
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Update on the rear sight.  Back when John made the rear sight for that gun, his own sight wasn't available yet.  Now he has his own fixed rear sight design and mass produced to replace Bomar and Bomar-clone rear sights.  The can be purchased from:

http://www.harrisoncustom.com/Home.aspx

When I talked to John several weeks ago; he advised me that the sights still weren't being mass produced and that he does each individual sight as they are ordered.
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Update on those sights: a large shipment arrived.  Also they will be available for sale through Brownells in the near future.
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
...John did some incredible work such as a custom made rear sight from bar stock to replace the stock adjustable, as well as making a custom closed end reverse recoil spring plug for use with a bull barrel and short (standard) guide rod, which also keeps that area closed up so debris can't get in as easily....

Excellent work ! I'm sure you are proud to own it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Awesome weapon...............I love my TRP and the factory adjustable sights,but Its nice to see what a craftsman can do.  congrats!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top