Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2008 11:35:02 PM EDT
I'm interested in a .22 conversion for my 1911. I've done some research (+ an ARFcom search) and found a few names, but even fewer reviews... I figured I'd turn it over to those with the experience, so I'm asking you guys what you think might be a quality conversion kit? I've stumbled upon Kimber, Marvel, Tactical Solutions, Colt, etc. Any more worth a mention? Anyone willing to post their experiences with said kits?

This will be going on an govt. XSE frame and/or a S&W PD.

Thanks ahead of time.

Update:

Two months later, as promised, my Unit 1 Commander arrived. The fit on both Colt and S&W are pretty nice and the finish is clean. Easy installation, solid adj. sights, etc. BUT.

As I attempted to cycle rounds for functionality I noticed that the first round would not extract. Upon further inspection, I realized that the extractor was not flush on a closed slide...

I called Marvel as soon as I noticed the problem and got a message that they would be out of the office until 7/14. I emailed them stating pretty much what I had just stated here. Not sure what to do now, but wait. Again.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem? Any tips on how to fix it? I'd hate to have to send it back for repair/replacement, just to have to wait even longer to shoot a conversion kit that I had ordered 2 months ago. Though at this point, that looks like the only option.

pics added, notice external extractor:

Link Posted: 5/8/2008 2:43:40 AM EDT
[#1]
 The Colt works perfectly on a series 70, doesn't work on a series 80
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 2:49:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Marvel
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 4:52:28 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're looking for premium quality, Marvel's pretty much as good as you'll get.
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Marvel is a great conversion but they are hard to get right now

Ceiner Platunim Kit are supposted to be decent, but some call them hit or miss
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. I found more info. as I continued to search and the consensus is Marvel.
Although I wouldn't mind a colt to match, as mentioned, it wouldn't fit my XSE anyway and I've read that people have cleaning issues with the free float bbl.?

I left a message with marvel today to make sure they have it in stock before ordering. BTW, I'm looking at the Unit 2 Commander.

Will this fit on my SW1911? Worst case, it should fit my Colt, right?

If they don't have it in stock, does anyone know of a quality dealer who can ship asap? I'm getting pretty anxious to get it and try it out.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Marvels great but a Colt WILL work on a series 80 if you remove the series 80 parts I do believe.

Link Posted: 5/8/2008 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Have a Kimber kit, very happy with it.
No slide lock after last round, but that's no big deal for me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Marvel. I bought mine recently straight from Marvel and received it in about 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Marvel. I bought mine recently straight from Marvel and received it in about 3 weeks.

UPDATE:

I couldn't wait... I just placed an order with Marvel for the Unit 1 Commander w/ adjustable sights. I was pretty discouraged anticipating the LONG 6-8 week wait, but this gives me hope!  

I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Thanks to all for the suggestions/feedback.

Now we wait. I'll revive the thread in (hopefully) 3 weeks.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Marvel #1, and have switched the front sight for their narrow one.  That gives me the sight picture I am used to.  I bought mine from Midway a couple years ago.  It was on sale for around $350.  Now I see they are $420 and out of stock.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#11]
i'm thinking about getting an advantage arms kit....I want the LSHO feature, and none of the other kits really offer that.  I want it for training purposes so having that feature is top of my list...cost follows as a very close second.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Wilson Combat's 22 conversion kit is made by Marvel.  Maybe they have one in stock...

Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:09:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Tactical Solutions is one of the nicest that I have seen.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:21:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#15]
not to hijack the thread... but if you were to use on of the advantage arms magazines
would the slide lock back if used in conjunction with a different 22 conversion kit like Kimber?
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Kimber Kit with ceiner 15 round mags. The Kimber has a dovetail front and Bomar type rear. It may tale a little fitting of the thumb safety.
Also , I have a reduced power mainspring in mine and it runs 100%.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 3:51:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Kimber Kit with ceiner 15 round mags

Did you have to modify the Ceiner mags to work in the Kimber kit?
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 4:56:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Nope, they ran just fine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Got no complaints about my Tac Sol kit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#20]
^
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#21]
now with pics.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#22]
My Marvel upper does that as well with the extractor sticking out slightly when in battery, both with and without a round chambered. If you pull the slide back about 1/16 inch it drops down in the slot and is even with the slide. If I rack the slide and chamber rounds they all feed and eject as they should. Looking closely at the ramp on the extractor and the ramp in the extractor channel on the barrel I expect this is normal. Have you tried a different brand of rounds to see if there is any difference? Have you done any shooting with it to make sure it has the problem under live fire conditions?

Link Posted: 7/4/2008 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My Marvel upper does that as well with the extractor sticking out slightly when in battery, both with and without a round chambered. If you pull the slide back about 1/16 inch it drops down in the slot and is even with the slide.

+1

Well, that sets my mind at ease a little. I haven't taken it out to the range yet. This arguably, should have been my first move. We'll see how it performs. For all I know, this is normal...

I have only attempted to cycle CCI's, but I have a variety of .22lr's on hand for the range. What ammo were you using?
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I have Federal high velocity copper washed that comes loose in 550rd bricks and American Eagle high velocity copper washed that comes in 400rd bricks of 50rd boxes. The AE is also made by Federal.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Update:

Took it to the range today and ... Every round extracted properly.

I guess the protruding extractor is part of the design. Although it's not possible to manually eject a live round, it had no problem ejecting spent casings. I'm completely relieved and love this new conversion!

The only issue I had at the range was a couple of FTF's on the first round of a full mag, but a little lube fixed that problem for me. I also found that dropping the slide rather than manually chambering the round helped with feeding more consistently.

Altogether, I am impressed and maybe even a little ashamed for doubting a quality product before even properly testing it.

BTW, I used CCI Blazer, CCI stinger and FederalChampion ammunition. Out of the three, I would say that the stinger's performed the best in that it had NO problems feeding... I picked up some CCI Standard velocity and Mini-Mags as well to see how they perform.

Thanks for all the feedback and info. I appreciate it. Case closed.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#26]

I am glad to hear that it is functioning good with live fire.

When they get back to you on your e-mail you might ask about the inability to extract live rounds because mine has no problems at all when I manually rack the slide. I tried a couple clips worth last night and could feed and extract all rounds with no problems, even if I was riding the slide slowly and never removing my hand.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Dammit... Case re-opened.

When I finally got the Unit from Marvel, as far as functionality, all I could really expect was what I was already familiar with from the 1911 platform. I've never handled a conversion before and had little information on what exactly to expect. When I could not manually eject a round, I assumed that there had to be some sort of mechanical problem.

Of course, the Unit functions properly in live-fire, which I am still relieved about. But, if it's SUPPOSED to be able to eject rounds and cycle manually, I'd like it to be able to do that too... And NOT just because yours can (but mostly because yours can).

Does your extractor protrude as well?  

Link Posted: 7/5/2008 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the Marvel (Wilson Combat) conversion for my CQB.  I never tried to cycle it without shooting it.  Maybe I am weird like that, but the thing works great, providing I run CCI minimags.  If I run the cheaper stuff, it is not as reliable, and when I shoot is suppressed, it cycles fine with Remington subsonics but not with Aguilas...

Oh, and I keep mine clean and well lubed with BreakFree CLP.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

FWIW, it can be made to work quite easily. You only need to remove this much:

I put an early 80's (not a series 80, though) Colt conversion unit on my series 80 Combat Elite, and used a blanking plate from Brownells to fill the void in the frame. Several thousand rounds of .22 LR later and it's been running great. That part is only $4.95/ea through Brownells.

Out of 10 magazines, at this point, the only one that has any feeding issues for me, is one that will lock the slide on the 9th round

And even though 4 out of 7 of my other 1911s were never made with a series 80 firing pin safety, the idea of leaving this one particular pistol as: a) only a range pistol, and b) a .22LR that retains the capability to run as a .45ACP, is just fine with me.

For the record, that's 4 more Colts (a 1911 US Army made in 1918, a Gold Cup NM made in '65 and a series 80 Night Officer's, and a series 90 New Agent), a Remington Rand M1911A1 US Army, and a Kimber Desert Warrior.

I have retained the parts so that if I ever sell it to someone else, I can return the safety to factory specifications, or to mollify my lawyer.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I got a Tactical Solutions upper and love it.  It did require a bit of fitting to work reliably with subsonics but now it's flawless.  I have used it on a scandium S&W and a Colt 70 series Gold Cup.  Love it with the suppressor.  ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top