Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 8:24:18 AM EDT
I am looking for a factory ~18" bead sighted, RemChoke equipped, parked 12ga barrel.

Why can't I find it anywhere???  Does it exist?  Am I asking for too much?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't think there is such a thing.  I think the remchokes start at 21" for the rifle sighted barrel.

That really bites....
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a 20" barrel with rifle sights that has the screw-in chokes.

The other option is to have a quality 'smith ream and thread your 18" barrel to take screw-in chokes.

2guntom
454 Casull +
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#4]
If you really want an 18" see if Briley chokes will do it. Cut back to 18" (min legal) and thread for chokes
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#5]
ebay just had one
i cant find the link
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Mossberg makes it weird a? Cabelas has the best price. Heres the link

Bottom of the list.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mossberg makes it weird a? Cabelas has the best price. Heres the link

Bottom of the list.

Close, but it's not parked & it's got a fixed choke bore.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sorry SHIVAN but I think this is gonna be a custom build for you...unless you find one someone else has already taken the hit on.

It seems like everything I want is a "custom" build.....

How can that possibly be?  I can't imagine my needs/wants are THAT original.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:05:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I was patterning the Remington  #1 buckshot load the day before yesterday using a 20 inch Improved Cylinder barrel with rifle sights.  All 20 pellets per shell grouped about 12 to 14 inches at 10 paces, FWIW.  As this is a HD weapon for indoor use, I'm pretty pleased.  HTH.

Paladin
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah I just picked up an 18" vent rib bead but its bore only

as was said, I think custom is the ticket here
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry SHIVAN but I think this is gonna be a custom build for you...unless you find one someone else has already taken the hit on.

It seems like everything I want is a "custom" build.....

How can that possibly be?  I can't imagine my needs/wants are THAT original.

They are not unique, Shivan.  I'm curious, what choke are planning on using?

I'm going to start campaigning.  I would like an 18" barrel with modified choke, fixed would be fine.  I know they have the tooling to do it since their 14" LE barrel is fixed modified.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They are not unique, Shivan.  I'm curious, what choke are planning on using?

I'm going to start campaigning.  I would like an 18" barrel with modified choke, fixed would be fine.  I know they have the tooling to do it since their 14" LE barrel is fixed modified.

Ideally I would want an 18-18.5" barrel with screw in chokes.  My specific intention was to have a "deer drive" shotgun.  However, I might find it useful for other things if I could use multiple chokes.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#16]
"However, I might find it useful for other things if I could use multiple chokes."

Yes, indeed you will.

I really like the my 20" barrel w/rifle sights and screw-in chokes, but it would be better if it were 18".
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Tom;

Let me know where to sign the petition for a factory 18" modified barrel OR for the screw in choked model...I would buy one at a reasonable price in a Mississippi minute!

You are in luck!  I just got off the phone with Remington Customer Service.  They do make an 18 1/2" fixed modified choke barrel!  It has rifle sights and the tritium front sight to boot!  
The part number is 242556.
Price is $144 + sales tax + $8 shipping from Remington.  They are out of stock at the moment.  I'm going to check D&R Sports and see if they have them in stock (the price will be cheaper).

I did confirm that the shortest barrel with screw in chokes is 20", rifle sights, includes an IC and Rifled tube.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#19]
man if they had a bead sight 18" barrel with the removable chokes
it would make regular and sabot slugs useable along with any buckshot
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
man if they had a bead sight 18" barrel with the removable chokes
it would make regular and sabot slugs useable along with any buckshot

Of course it would, which is why I find it hard to believe it doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#22]
an 18" with rifle sights wouldnt work under the Knights RAS that I have on my shotty
I could grind or torch it off but that would be too much work to risk ruining a barrel
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Let me know what you find out...I will be all over one of these. Parked would be better but blue is acceptable. My guess is they only make one run a year on them, if that often.

Okay, I spoke with Mark from D&R on the phone today.  When I gave him the part number, he was a little stumped.  He dug around and came to the conclusion that this is a "LE" barrel.  He asked that I email him the info so he can follow up with Remington and get them.   I emailed the info and also asked him to find out if it is blued or parked.

I'm sure I've posted D&R's info before, but I'll do it again so you can contact him

www.dnrsports.com/

570-735-1752

and I also have the info here
www.ezforums.org/454Casull/forum_posts.asp?TID=207&PN=1

Mark @ D&R has always had a better price on Remington barrels than anywhere else I have looked.  I actually found him almost by accident at GunBroker.  He doesn't say much in emails; it's better to call.

I'll post more news when I have it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Ha!  More news...

I thought I had downloaded a Remington parts list pdf file.  
Rem Parts List(right click, "Save Target As...")
I found it and dug around until I found the barrels on page 39.  There are 2 barrels!
The first one that Remington told me about-
242556 - 18.5" fixed Modified, Tritium rifle sights, parkerized $144

and

242256 - 18" fixed Modified, Tritium bead, parkerized $144

I'm inclined to want the bead instead of the rifle sights; the price is the same and the bead would be better for the "in house" hd gun.  I'm curious why the guy at Remington didn't mention the other barrel???  Why is one marked as 18.5" and the other at 18"?  Does that have anything to do with it?

I went through every barrel they offer in the list.  To get screw-in or RemChokes, the shortest barrel is indeed 20".  They have quite a few options in that regard too.

I also found what I would term an anomoly.  They have a 20" barrel with a fixed full choke.  The only other details were that it was blued.  A fixed full choke 20"?  Sounds like something I'd ask for
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#26]
You don't mention what type of ammo you were using.  Try using some Federal Tactical 8 pellet 00 Buck and see what kind of pattern you get.  It will hold a pattern out to at least 25 yards.  This is much cheaper than sending your barrel to Vang Comp.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ha!  More news...

I found it and dug around until I found the barrels on page 39.  There are 2 barrels!

and

I'm inclined to want the bead instead of the rifle sights; the price is the same and the bead would be better for the "in house" hd gun.  I'm curious why the guy at Remington didn't mention the other barrel???  Why is one marked as 18.5" and the other at 18"?  Does that have anything to do with it?...

The barrel w/bead sight is LE only from what Mark at D&R said.  He said he couldn't get it.  Now Remington offered me the same barrel with rifle sights, but they were out of stock.  I'm a little confused and so was Mark.  He suggested calling Remington again and getting the lowdown.  He said if they will sell it to me, then he can get it too, but his price to me would be a lot cheaper than the Remington msrp.

I'm calling Remington now...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Is the bead front sight a deal breaker?

I've used a rifle sighted 870 since the mid-80's.  It was my only shotgun, and was pressed into dove(miserable!), rabbit(#5's shoot thru cactus well), and quail hunting uses at times.  Once you pattern where the "sights" are impacting it can be very fast in the field.  And slugs at 50 yards group very well.

For my newest HD shotgun I looked at barrels with beads, but eventually found and bought what had worked well for a long time, another 20 inch rifle sighted IC barrel.  I would have LOVED to get my hands on a Rem-choke version at 18.5 inches or so with rifle sights!  The IC 20 throws 20 #1 buck pellets into a 12 to 14 inch circle at 10 yards.  I'm not sure how much tighter one would want the spread, although at 20 or 30 yards I imagine there are gaps.

The left over 26 inch Rem-choke barrel will be used for my bird hunting, hey wait a second, where's that hack saw and LONGER THAN 18 INCH tape measure.?  how hard is it to saw thru the vent rib?  "clank sound" as 7 inches of barrel hits the floor!  can the Rem-choke threads be added to a barrel by a gunsmith?

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Beads and rifle sights each have their purpose.  In my testing, the modified choke throws better patterns than an IC choke.  The tritium sights on these 2 barrels intrigues me; a bead would be better for low light, in house home defense applications, at least in my opinion.

Sure, you could hack a common 28" barrel.  There is a thread for barrel 'smiths here www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=194049  Nu-Line is highly recommended.  They charge $75 to ream and thread a barrel for screw-in chokes.

I have a 28" vent rib barrel that came with my second 870.  I kinda' want to keep it for shooting informal clays.  In my clay shooting, the Remington white dot front rifle sights completely disappear from view when they are pointed at the sky.  A vent rib barrel works great regardless of backdrop since it has a better sighting plain.

So, I'd have to acquire another barrel, cut it, then send it off for the reaming and threading ($75 not including shipping both ways).  I'd have to drill it, and tap it for the new bead too.

The tritium bead sight, fixed modified choke, 18" barrel will cost roughly $115.20 when I order it from D&R.  That doesn't include shipping, but Mark is very fair with his shipping charges.

The other option I guess would be to have my 18" barrel reamed and tapped for screw-in chokes.  That would be a little more economical.  I don't want to burn any bridges though.  I'm accumulating quite a few pieces and parts for Remingtons, and it is a good thing.  I can swap stuff out for side by side comparisons.

Does that make sense?

(edit)

I've got 2 870's.  The one has a 20" barrel with rifle sights and screw-in chokes.  An extended steel shot choke, the equivalent of a modified constriction, is installed.  This is my farm defense gun.  If I leave the house, this is the gun I use.  It's not just 2-legged purps that I might encounter, but more than likely 4-legged.  That's why I look for patterns tighter and denser than the average fixed IC choke.  Here's a couple pics

The new barrel would be for the "in house" home defense gun.  I'm trying to keep it as small, compact, and lightweight as possible.  I've even contacted ATI to see if they will make a shorter LOP stock, and a much needed cushiony recoil pad.  Here's how this one looks at the moment

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I ran a Winchester 1300 Defender in a similar pistol grip stock for a while.  A tritium front bead on an 18 inch barrel with full length magazine tube IIRC.  It was nice enough, but the lightweight let it beat you up too much to enjoy.  Eventually I sold the Winchester and scored a second 870.

I need to call my 'smith and see what he says about shortening the left over vent rib barrel here locally.  18 minimum, but I think the way the rib attaches it might need cut at a specific point.  Might get wild and have him tap holes to bolt a rail and scout scope or other optic on the barrel.

NICE pair of shotguns.  Doesn't Speed Feed make a stock with a reduced LOP?  Not sure if they have a pistol grip though.

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep, I hear ya' on the Winchester.  The Winchester is light compared to an 870, by at least a pound.  That's great when you carry your shotgun all day on your shoulder, but when you shoot slugs, everything changes dramatically.  I had a Winchester Defender and loved it.  After handling it I was going to get rid of my 870 because it was too heavy.  Then I ran some slugs through the Defender and the 870 in a comparison/fact finding session.  I had a LimbSaver recoil pad on the Defender and it just jarred my entire body.  It actually gave me a headache.  The 870 was a piece of cake so everything changed at that point.

I ended up swapping the Defender for a Winchester 1300 Deer- 22" rifled barrel w/rifle sights.  I put the ATI pistolgripped buttstock on it w/LimbSaver pad before I test fired it prior to the trade.  From a sitting position, it is just fine.  It seems a little heavier than the Defender, but it is comfortable enough for all day shoulder carry.

Yes, Davis/SpeedFeed does make a Tactical IVS which is one inch shorter.  Remington makes some of their guns with the Tactical IV with a LimbSaver pad (called R3) already on it.  I'm not sure if Remington does the short one with an R3 pad.  I don't think you can get that stock straight from SpeedFeed with the good recoil pad.  So, to get the right stock, with the right pad, I'd have to order from Remington and pay full retail price.

I can get the ATI stocks for under $40.  The bonus is that their stocks use adapters.  There is only one stock, but a handful of adapters to make it fit a given shotgun.  That's how I ended up with that stock on the new-to-me 870.  It was actually for an 1100 (retailer screw up), I shot it in OD green to use on a Winchester 120 Ranger Compact, then it ended up on the 870.  Now that's versatile.

I've talked with the people at ATI and I like them.  They stand behind their stuff 100%.  I've never spoke to anybody at SpeedFeed, but then their stuff just works, so why would I need to call?

I don't know.  If I can find the shorter SF stock with the good recoil pad, I may get one.  It's just that I don't want to spend the $87 or more to get one.  I'm still digging around and researching that.  The people at ATI listen, and I'm hoping for the best.  My last conversation with them was taken to heart as evidenced by their website; they now show 20gauge adaptability that wasn't there before because they didn't know about it .
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I need to call my 'smith and see what he says about shortening the left over vent rib barrel here locally.  18 minimum, but I think the way the rib attaches it might need cut at a specific point.  Might get wild and have him tap holes to bolt a rail and scout scope or other optic on the barrel.

Paladin

Yes, you have to pay attention to the rib when you cut a barrel.  You don't want a piece of unsupported rib hanging out front.  But, the barrel can be cut, then the extra rib piece can be cut back a little further and not detract from the looks.

If you do optics or not, I still want to see pictures when you're done.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ha!  More news...

and

I'm inclined to want the bead instead of the rifle sights; the price is the same and the bead would be better for the "in house" hd gun.  I'm curious why the guy at Remington didn't mention the other barrel???  Why is one marked as 18.5" and the other at 18"?  Does that have anything to do with it?...

The barrel w/bead sight is LE only from what Mark at D&R said.  He said he couldn't get it.  Now Remington offered me the same barrel with rifle sights, but they were out of stock.  I'm a little confused and so was Mark.  He suggested calling Remington again and getting the lowdown.  He said if they will sell it to me, then he can get it too, but his price to me would be a lot cheaper than the Remington msrp.

I'm calling Remington now...

Finally!  Mark @ D&R said he indeed can supply us with these barrels.  The rifle sighted barrel is out of stock with nothing in the production schedule according to Remington.  The one with the bead sight is in stock, part# 242256.  Mark said it is $119 + $10 shipping.  I think I posted his contact info previously, and it is here also www.ezforums.org/454Casull/forum_posts.asp?TID=207&PN=1  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Did anyone ever order one of these barrels?  I've been busy with other projects and it slipped a few notches on my "to do/to buy" list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top