Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 2:19:27 AM EDT
I installed an ATI full stock with pistol grip on my Mossberg 500A and now regret it. I went to the range to shoot it and that stock beat the crap out of my jaw bone. I was firing 12 ga. slug and 00 Buck. I have been shooting many years and never had a shotgun stock knock by jaw bone around like this one had. Well, needless to say, I put my full Mossberg stock back on and everything is fine again. I have 2 other friends who had the same problem with their Advanced Technology Inc. (ATI) stocks as well. Have any of you had the same experience with this particular stock?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:38:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never owned any ATI products but the ones I have seen and handled on my friends' weapons have no impressed me.  My friends have had ATI products break and generally not work well.  That said, I cannot remember hearing the particular issues that you are experiencing.

I would recommend the SpeedFeed IV or IV-S if you want an excellent pistol grip stock.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:42:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an ATI on my Win 1300 Defender.
You get what you pay for qualitywise, but so far, I'm not disappointed in it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I installed an ATI full stock with pistol grip on my Mossberg 500A and now regret it. I went to the range to shoot it and that stock beat the crap out of my jaw bone. I was firing 12 ga. slug and 00 Buck. I have been shooting many years and never had a shotgun stock knock by jaw bone around like this one had. Well, needless to say, I put my full Mossberg stock back on and everything is fine again. I have 2 other friends who had the same problem with their Advanced Technology Inc. (ATI) stocks as well. Have any of you had the same experience with this particular stock?

Sorry to hear about the discomfort.  I've got at least 4 of those stocks on different shotguns.  

This is an 870 that sees nothing but 3" shells.  I've run Winchester 3" 1oz slugs through it

Here's my 1100.  I ended up putting the 28" barrel and factory stock back on it, not because of discomfort, but because I use it for informal clays now.  It was originally a "defense" gun, but its role has changed

I acquired another 870, but haven't finished all of the work and testing yet.  The first 870 is for "out and about" farm defense, this is the "in house" defense gun

I have another, but I don't have any pictures for some reason.  It is a Winchester 1300 Deer, fully rifled slug gun.

None of these guns are wallhangers or safe queens; they all get shot, a lot.  My only complaint with ATI's stocks is the rock-hard buttpads.  I voiced this complaint to them, and I suspect that they will introduce a solution for '07.  They listened very well when I spoke with them before and I can see the results in their '06 line and website.

When it comes to heavy recoiling guns, the gun absolutely has to fit the shooter.  I have yet to get a shotgun that fits me from the factory.  Every shotgun I own has gotten a new stock, been modified in length, or something.  

Another thing that matters tremendously is the shooting position.  If the stock is wrong or doesn't fit you right, you will naturally adjust your shooting position, and that can be very painful.  From what you describe, the angle of the ATI stock is wrong for you.  They have a grotesque downsweep to the buttpad, much more so than the factory stock.  If you are crawling the stock (have your cheek close to the receiver) you will get hurt.  To dodge the sweep of the recoil or muzzle flip, the cheek needs to be as close to the buttpad as possible, yet still maintaining a good view of the bead.

SpeedFeed might be an option, but I'd check the angle first to make sure it won't be the same as the ATI.  Choate might be a better option.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Take a read at this thread.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=197109

CaCrusin
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Take a read at this thread.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=197109

CaCrusin

Oh, ya!  How could I forget Knoxx?!

CaC, I absolutely love all the videos at the website.  I watched all of them a few weeks ago (again).  I particularly loved the one where the guy held the gun against his stomach and fired it.  You usually have to pay money for entertainment like that!

It's too bad you don't have the CompStock in OD; that would be good on my in house 870.  Although the travel/face-to-hand issue concernes me with my dimensions.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:47:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Oh, ya!  How could I forget Knoxx?!

CaC, I absolutely love all the videos at the website.  I watched all of them a few weeks ago (again).  I particularly loved the one where the guy held the gun against his stomach and fired it.  You usually have to pay money for entertainment like that!

It's too bad you don't have the CompStock in OD; that would be good on my in house 870.  Although the travel/face-to-hand issue concernes me with my dimensions.

I've seen a number of CompStocks painted in various camouflage patterns and colors. They look great. You just don't paint the rubber overmolded parts.  Glad you like the videos.

CaCrusin
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a ATI on a Norinco 870 copy and noticed the same problem. The drop was too much and it would beat up my cheek. I have a Speedfeed on my current 870 and it is much better. It is a shorter LOP also though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've seen a number of CompStocks painted in various camouflage patterns and colors. They look great. You just don't paint the rubber overmolded parts.  Glad you like the videos.

CaCrusin

I've never seen a CompStock in the flesh, so I don't know what's rubber, and what's not.  The 2" clearance hand to face still concerns me a little.  Here's an example of why

I have broken the habit of crawling a stock, at least that bad anyway.  I still can't deny my physique.  I see there are some type of spacers or replacement buttpads for a longer LOP on the CompStocks.  We need to talk about these, but I don't know if this is the thread for it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:42:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had a ATI on a Norinco 870 copy and noticed the same problem. The drop was too much and it would beat up my cheek. I have a Speedfeed on my current 870 and it is much better. It is a shorter LOP also though.

That is good to know.  I wasn't sure if there was a difference in angle between the 2 or not.

When I talked to ATI about the buttpads, I also asked about a pistolgrip buttstock with a short LOP.  They're good folks, they listen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top