Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/21/2007 7:41:17 PM EDT
Picked up a NIB FN SLP last week. Took it out to the range last weekend. Much work remains to be done, which I will get into later.

The Good:
Very comfortable shotgun to shoot: Easy to control. This shotgun fits me very well. Gas system seems to smooth out recoil. I've owned a Benelli M1S90 and a Mossberg 590, I would rate the SLP as being the most comfortable. It's also very compact, with a short 18" barrel and short stock.

Very adjustable: I did all of my shooting with the heavy gas piston and the modified cylinder choke. If I was only shooting light loads, switching to the light piston would be an option. A cylinder choke was also included, but I didn't try it Sunday.

Well thought out manual of arms: Everything just worked, controls were where my fingers wanted them to be. Loading was easy. I did let a shell slip while loading, trapping it on the loading gate. When I shot, the trapped shell was cycled w/o any problems.

Easy to field strip: Disassembled w/o tools. Magazine spring is captive. Smallest parts to lose are the 2 trigger plate pins, which could be stored in the trigger plate if cleaning in the field.

The bad:
Remington ammo had major cycling problems. Both 00 low recoil buckshot and low recoil slugs from Remington had problems cycling. This may have been correctable by swithcing to the light gas piston, but since the Federal low recoil stuff was working (perfectly) I left the heavy piston in place. Dove and quail loads did function fine with the heavy piston, except for 1 very early short stroke with Estate.

New platform: So far I haven't been able to source tritium sights for the shotgun yet. I consider these necessary for serious work. Ditto a weapon light.

Gas piston cleanability: I threw mine in the ultrasonic tank with mpro7 for 20 minutes. Cleaning in the field will be harder. Don't know how susceptible the gas piston is to dirt, either.  

Why: The top of the front sight is round... I would have much rather preferred a flat topped front sight to go with my ghostring, thank you very much.

Slugs: Brenneke slugs, my favorite slug for the past 20 years, zeroed pathetically. I'm talking about 12" of dispersion at 50 yards. Just not acceptable. The other slug I had with me, Remington LR slugger, wouldn't cycle, but holes were touching at 50 yards. I suspect the modified choke may be to blame for the Brenneke's poor performance. More testing is required.

Magazine: Short magazine tube goes along with that nice short 18" barrel. This one only holds 6 2 3/4" shells.

The ugly:
Hornandy TAP 00buck functioned perfectly, and got more pellets on the target at 25 yards, but damn!, the fire ball was nasty! I shot the Hornandy later in the afternoon, with an overcast and light (this IS Oregon) drizzle. The muzzle flash was pretty bad under those lighting conditions. If it was night and you were dark adapted, were is the operative case, cuz you won't be dark adapted after touching off one of those bastards. I did shoot some Federal LR 00 under the same lighting conditions. Muzzle flash was not visable.

Some pictures:

The whole thing:

It comes apart:

My cheapass target, Hornandy 00 buck at 25 yards:

Another cheapass target, Federal LR 00 buck at 25 yards. Even though I got 2 fewer pellets on the target, I like the evenness of the Federal pattern better. Also see above flamethrower comment re: Hornandy.

Hope this helps somebody, somewhere. BSW

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Is that a side of a barn, because it looks like you found something you could final get hit on it.
Nice shotty.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

New platform: So far I haven't been able to source tritium sights for the shotgun yet. I consider these necessary for serious work. Ditto a weapon light.

Here ya' go:

www.precisionsalesintl.com/sg.html

www.precisionsalesintl.com/barshot.html
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks a bunch! Just what I was looking for. BSW
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks a bunch! Just what I was looking for. BSW

You're welcome. Post some pics when you get them. I ordered a red fiber optic front (not sure I want the fiber optic rear yet).
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I am really interested in the SLP. and was wondering if it is all its cracked up to be.  I love the way it feels but I havn't had a chance to shoot it.  

Also what all comes with it?
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am really interested in the SLP. and was wondering if it is all its cracked up to be.  I love the way it feels but I havn't had a chance to shoot it.  

Also what all comes with it?

In the box: light piston (heavy was installed), cylinder choke tube (IC was installed), choke tube wrench, front sight adjusting allen wrench, sling swivels, manual, lock. The case itself is pretty nice, foam lined hard plastic. BSW
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#7]
i have had interest in a SLP for awhile too, i am just working on bannable firearms before they are banned.

my main question is, it looks to be a re-heated browning gold. is this designed heavy duty, comperable to benelli defensive shotguns? i just wonder about it cause i don't hear the best reliability reports coming back from the duck hunters i know on the browning gold.

the day the AWB is passed, whenever it may be, i will start looking for a long range bolt gun and shotgun like this
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 4:58:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Couple of questions:

1. Do you happen to know the LOP on the stock?

2. How much did it set you back?

I'm getting a 12 gauge autoloader for the wife for trap and HD as she hates shooting my 870s. The SLP is getting rave reviews, and I am very curious about it for her.
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i have had interest in a SLP for awhile too, i am just working on bannable firearms before they are banned.

my main question is, it looks to be a re-heated browning gold. is this designed heavy duty, comperable to benelli defensive shotguns? i just wonder about it cause i don't hear the best reliability reports coming back from the duck hunters i know on the browning gold.

the day the AWB is passed, whenever it may be, i will start looking for a long range bolt gun and shotgun like this

It's a Winchester Super X2.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#10]
good post
Link Posted: 3/4/2007 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 3/5/2007 5:11:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Now one of you needs to figure out which of the following, if any, rail adapters will fit on a SLP: From Brownells.

It's either that or do some work on the handguard to get a side-sling adapter on one side, and a light on the other...
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Took the SLP back out for some more testing. This time both the cylinder and improved cylinder chokes were tried. Patterns were tighter with the improved cylinder, and slugs behaved also.

Federal LE 00 buckshot functions with the heavy piston without any failures. Fiocchi low recoil 00 buck failed  to extract or function with the heavy piston. The only advice I can give for which piston to use for each load is to try them out.  

Tritium sights: Arrived and installed. Driving the roll pin for the front sight took a while, but was manageable. Rear was easy to change.

Gas piston serviceability: Haven't used the ultrasonic tank again. I've just been knocking the big chunks off and lubing. No problems so far.

Since the range was busy, I patterned shot and slugs on the same target. BSW

Brenneke KO slugs and  Fiocchi 00 buckshot with modified choke. I pulled the flier slug badly.

Brenneke KO slugs and  Fiocchi 00 buckshot with cylinder choke.

Brenneke Emerald slugs and Fiocchi low recoil 00 buck with cylinder choke

Brenneke Emerald slugs and Federal 27 pellet #4 buck with modified choke

Fiocchi Aero slug and Fiochhi 27 pellet #4 buck with modified choke

Fiocchi Aero slug and Fiochhi 27 pellet #4 buck with cylinder choke

Link Posted: 4/4/2007 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I am able to load 10 rounds in my brand new SLP Mark1 (22" 8+1) by riding a shell on the carrier as with my Benelli M4 (Described in the USMC Field manual but not in the Benelli civilian manual.) The FN dry-cycles just fine in this configuration, and I'm wondering if anyone has live-fired an SLP or SLP Mark 1 holding 8 or 10 rounds respectively?
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#15]
great thread!

I just picked up an SLP today, will be a couple of days before I can get out and shoot it, any wisdom you guys can pass on to help out a FN noob?
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
great thread!

I just picked up an SLP today, will be a couple of days before I can get out and shoot it, any wisdom you guys can pass on to help out a FN noob?

If you are planning on shooting lighter loads just buy a variety and shoot them and see what works well and what doesn't.
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I am able to load 10 rounds in my brand new SLP Mark1 (22" 8+1) by riding a shell on the carrier as with my Benelli M4 (Described in the USMC Field manual but not in the Benelli civilian manual.) The FN dry-cycles just fine in this configuration, and I'm wondering if anyone has live-fired an SLP or SLP Mark 1 holding 8 or 10 rounds respectively?

What is this 'riding a shell on the carrier' that you speak of?
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I personally am not big on using reduced recoil ammo in my gas and or recoil operated shotguns. Pump guns are all I use with these rounds..
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

The Benelli M4 has what they call a 'free carrier' which will operate independant of the bolt. After filling mag tube to capacity, it is possible to retract the bolt just far enough to nuzzle an extra shell down onto the carrier and lower carrier far enough to place yet another shell in chamber and close bolt. With 2 3/4 inch shells my M4 with 2 shot extension has a total capacity of 7+1+1 or 9 rounds in this configuration. This is common knowledge to Marines I'm sure, but not to civilians. The M4 operates just fine in this manner.
                              Having just purchased an SLP Mark 1, I decided on a whim to see if this would work giving it 8+1+1 or total capacity of 10. Although harder to manipulate, the SLP is capable of this configuration as well. The method I use is to fill mag tube to capacity with 8 shells. I slowly retract bolt to release a shell onto carrier,   slowly raising carrier out of the way of mag tube opening. I then pop another shell into mag tube (topping it off it to 8 shells) while holding bolt steady in place. This is a balancing act and takes some practice. At this point, I nuzzle shell on the carrier back down out of the way of bolt as with the Benelli,  pop yet another shell into chamber and close bolt. As stated, the SLP dry-cycles just fine with 10 rounds, however I have not live-fired it yet. Upon calling FN Herstal, the tech guy was surprised to hear of this feat, but states it should work in principal. The worst that can happen is some type of jam.
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Benelli M4 has what they call a 'free carrier' which will operate independant of the bolt. After filling mag tube to capacity, it is possible to retract the bolt just far enough to nuzzle an extra shell down onto the carrier and lower carrier far enough to place yet another shell in chamber and close bolt. With 2 3/4 inch shells my M4 with 2 shot extension has a total capacity of 7+1+1 or 9 rounds in this configuration. This is common knowledge to Marines I'm sure, but not to civilians. The M4 operates just fine in this manner.
                              Having just purchased an SLP Mark 1, I decided on a whim to see if this would work giving it 8+1+1 or total capacity of 10. Although harder to manipulate, the SLP is capable of this configuration as well. The method I use is to fill mag tube to capacity with 8 shells. I slowly retract bolt to release a shell onto carrier,   slowly raising carrier out of the way of mag tube opening. I then pop another shell into mag tube (topping it off it to 8 shells) while holding bolt steady in place. This is a balancing act and takes some practice. At this point, I nuzzle shell on the carrier back down out of the way of bolt as with the Benelli,  pop yet another shell into chamber and close bolt. As stated, the SLP dry-cycles just fine with 10 rounds, however I have not live-fired it yet. Upon calling FN Herstal, the tech guy was surprised to hear of this feat, but states it should work in principal. The worst that can happen is some type of jam.

Nice explanation; thanks!

I'll give it a try at the range this Thursday. One extra round is one extra round...
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#21]
No problem, thank you.
Best of luck at the range, and please report back.
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#22]
yea, please let us know.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Real nice report.  

My only observation is even though you didn't like the hornady as much, it put a few pellets right in the old ticker, yet the federal didn't.  Of course the federal got the head shot though, so I suppose that's probably better. Seems like either one would work well though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Real nice report.  

My only observation is even though you didn't like the hornady as much, it put a few pellets right in the old ticker, yet the federal didn't.  Of course the federal got the head shot though, so I suppose that's probably better. Seems like either one would work well though.

The Hornandy also had visable muzzle flash during overcast lighting conditions. The Federal LR didn't. Fed LR also allowed faster followup shots. BSW
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I htink slugs might perform better w/ an improved choke (IC).
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#26]
tell me more about the sites...did you have to order a whole new site tower and mount to go on the rear rail, or did you just have to order the inserts?

thanks,

-matt

btw, my slp runs perfectly with remmy ammo, but i am using the light gas cylinder.  the light is rated to anything up to 1.5 oz.  a standard 00 shell has nine pellets and the load weighs just a little over 1.1 ounces, so technically, you should probably be using the lighter cylinder.
Link Posted: 4/24/2007 3:57:59 AM EDT
[#27]
bump...hopefully for answers re: sights

-matt
Link Posted: 4/24/2007 4:50:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I did get the tritium sights in. It is just the front blade and ghost ring, not the whole assembly. Installation to about 1/2 hour, most of the time spent screwing around with the front sight roll pin. BSW
Link Posted: 4/24/2007 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
btw, my slp runs perfectly with remmy ammo, but i am using the light gas cylinder.  the light is rated to anything up to 1.5 oz.  a standard 00 shell has nine pellets and the load weighs just a little over 1.1 ounces, so technically, you should probably be using the lighter cylinder.

What loads have you used with your light piston?
Link Posted: 4/24/2007 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

What loads have you used with your light piston?

federal and winchester light target...1.125 oz.  the gun doesn't like the winchester, and refuses to feed it.

also shot remington and winchester 00 and #4 buck...no problems there.  it likes 1 oz slugs too...brenekke, remington slugger and i think some winchester....can't remember if i've shot any of those.

reduced recoil 00 seems to feed OK too.

-matt
Link Posted: 4/25/2007 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#31]
For those of you having reliability problem, how many rounds do you have through the gun? I have read other threads that have proven this gun with almost everything after a few hundred rounds of break in. I handled one today and really have the itch for one now. Fit me like a glove and fit, finish, and handling seemed tops. I can't own a gun that won't run all the time though. Can you run it all the time with the light piston in? What happens if you have the light piston in and need to run a "heavy" load through it? Will that hurt anything? I also read that this shottie can be shot faster than most other auto's out there. Anyone thry to run a tube full through as fast as they can?
Link Posted: 4/25/2007 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Update:

I've got the light and tritium sights sorted out. I used a Larue light mount with a Surefire 6P light, modified with a Surefire KL3 LED head.

As far as ammo goes: I think what's going on is that different people's shotguns are slightly different. I've got ammo that functions 100% with my gun and I've tried ammo that just would not function. Your shotgun may be different.

Now for some pictures. BSW

Link Posted: 4/28/2007 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I own a Benelli Supernova Tactical pump shotgun and I was thinking about getting a semi-auto in the near future.  Would you recommend the FN SLP or another semi-auto shotgun?
Link Posted: 4/28/2007 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I own a Benelli Supernova Tactical pump shotgun and I was thinking about getting a semi-auto in the near future.  Would you recommend the FN SLP or another semi-auto shotgun?

SLP all the way. I've owned Benelli's before, the SLP is less expensive (not cheaper) and better. BSW
Link Posted: 4/30/2007 3:25:17 AM EDT
[#35]
took my fn to the range on saturday.  3 1-0z winchester slugs in a 8" square offhand @ 40 yards with a cylinder choke.  way good enough for me.  

-matt
Link Posted: 5/4/2007 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I finally had a chance to shot my SLP last Sat. and all I could say was "Awesome".   I only had federal 00 LR to shoot but it worked great.  I did try some winchester skeet shells from walmart but the stuff would not feed.  I had more fun shooting the SLP than shooting my AR.  I'm going to upgrade the sights next.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2007 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SLP all the way. I've owned Benelli's before, the SLP is less expensive (not cheaper) and better. BSW

Please specify why you feel this way?  I am interested in what your opinion is.

Doc
Link Posted: 5/5/2007 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#38]
1) Recoil is 'smoother'. It's still a 12 gage, but the recoil impulse isn't as harsh as the Benelli.

2) Manual of arms is simpler/more intuitave. Every control is where my hands expect them to be, and function how I would have designed them.

3)Ergonomics. This shotgun just fits me better than the Benellis.

4) Adjustability. I really like that I can tune the operating mechanism for the type of load that I'm using.

BSW
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Man threads like this make my wallet cringe.

I guess I am in for one of these now.

Max
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#40]
I just got the SLP Mk 1.  It's the same, but with 22" barrel, 8+1 capacity, and rifle sights with fiber optic front, and a cantilever rail over the receiver.  Mine came with IC and Mod chokes.  

I installed the Mod choke and the "light" gas piston (for 1.5 oz. or lighter loads).  I took it out yesterday and fired 100 rounds of shot and 10 slugs through it.

I had one failure--I fired, and the next shell was ejected onto the lift gate, but the bolt locked to the rear.  Not sure how that happened, but it only happened once.  For now, I'll call it "breaking in".  That was using Federal Game Shok #6, 1 oz. load.

The sights seemed pretty much right on.  The rear sight is kinda busy with a V shaped notch with a white triangle below it, and some index lines on the right side.  For shooting shot, I found just folding down the rear sight and centering the front sight in the groove on the picatinny rail worked well.  

I shot some Rem 1 1/8 oz #7 loads, the above mentioned Federal stuff, and Rem "slugger" 1 oz. slugs.  The slugs were right on at 50 yards, with 5 of 6 in the lower A zone of an IPSC target from sitting position.  From 25 offhand, I had to hold at the base of the head to hit the upper A zone.  I think my issue is with the unusual sights rather than the inherent accuracy of the gun.  I may try removing the rear sight blade, leaving a larger U shaped notch.

The Federal stuff worked really well on some heavy 8" steel plates at 25 yards.  The 7.5 shot wouldn't knock over the heaviest plates.  

My biggest complaint, and something thats going to have to be fixed:

The loading gate has this U shaped notch at the forward end, which will allow my thumb to get pinched between the loading gate and the receiver.  I've heard this referred to as "Benelli Thumb" by M1 and M2 shooters.  

Does anyone know of a fix available for the SLP/SX-2?  

Thanks,
DogmaDog
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I just got the SLP Mk 1.  It's the same, but with 22" barrel, 8+1 capacity, and rifle sights with fiber optic front, and a cantilever rail over the receiver.  Mine came with IC and Mod chokes.  

I installed the Mod choke and the "light" gas piston (for 1.5 oz. or lighter loads).  I took it out yesterday and fired 100 rounds of shot and 10 slugs through it.

I had one failure--I fired, and the next shell was ejected onto the lift gate, but the bolt locked to the rear.  Not sure how that happened, but it only happened once.  For now, I'll call it "breaking in".  That was using Federal Game Shok #6, 1 oz. load.

The sights seemed pretty much right on.  The rear sight is kinda busy with a V shaped notch with a white triangle below it, and some index lines on the right side.  For shooting shot, I found just folding down the rear sight and centering the front sight in the groove on the picatinny rail worked well.  

I shot some Rem 1 1/8 oz #7 loads, the above mentioned Federal stuff, and Rem "slugger" 1 oz. slugs.  The slugs were right on at 50 yards, with 5 of 6 in the lower A zone of an IPSC target from sitting position.  From 25 offhand, I had to hold at the base of the head to hit the upper A zone.  I think my issue is with the unusual sights rather than the inherent accuracy of the gun.  I may try removing the rear sight blade, leaving a larger U shaped notch.

The Federal stuff worked really well on some heavy 8" steel plates at 25 yards.  The 7.5 shot wouldn't knock over the heaviest plates.  

My biggest complaint, and something thats going to have to be fixed:

The loading gate has this U shaped notch at the forward end, which will allow my thumb to get pinched between the loading gate and the receiver.  I've heard this referred to as "Benelli Thumb" by M1 and M2 shooters.  

Does anyone know of a fix available for the SLP/SX-2?  

Thanks,
DogmaDog

That C-RUMS guy welds up the Benelli lifters. You can probably get him to weld your's up for whatever he charges. I haven't had a problem with my thumb getting pinched so far on my Benelli. My friend's Beretta 2+1 12 gauge however DID pinch my thumb a few times. Hurts like hell. I'm not sure why I don't have that problem on my shotgun though. I have the same type of lifter that is prone to causing it. Weird.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Remington Nitro Rounds - No issues at all

Remington Walmart Value Pack (7 1/2 and 8) - Will not cycle at all

Federal Walmart Value Pack (8 shot) - Cycled last week for ~ 200 round, will not cycle at all now.

I'm not sure if I did a crappy job cleaning the gas valve ( I suspect this is where the problem is). I am using the light load valve.

Link Posted: 9/16/2007 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#43]
hmmm....
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 4:37:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Remington Nitro Rounds - No issues at all

Remington Walmart Value Pack (7 1/2 and 8) - Will not cycle at all

Federal Walmart Value Pack (8 shot) - Cycled last week for ~ 200 round, will not cycle at all now.

I'm not sure if I did a crappy job cleaning the gas valve ( I suspect this is where the problem is). I am using the light load valve.

Probably not. My SLP just doesn't shoot some loads. The loads it does shoot are 100%. I've had luck with the 'Estate' brand of birdshot and Federal LR and standard buck functions fine in my SLP. BSW

Edited to emphasize: You really REALLY have to test a SLP with the loads you are planning on using. Mine functions 100% with Brenneke slugs, Fiocchi Aero slugs, Fiocchi buckshot (00 and #4, but not LR) and Federal buckshot (00, #4 AND LR) but not with some other types I've tried.

I don't switch loads very often: with the Mossberg 590 I tested several 00 buckshot loads and Federal had the tightest groups. I shot Federal buckshot in that gun for 13 years, along with Brenneke slugs.

The last 3 gun match I shot I used the SLP with Estate birdshot, Federal buck and Aero slugs. There were no malfunctions. BSW
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#45]
It's a little disconcerning how picky this weapon is with various rounds. The last thing I was thinking would happen wit this gun would be rounds not ejecting. Not a very good self defense gun if in the heat of the moment it decides not to allow a 2nd round to fire.
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 6:08:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
It's a little disconcerning how picky this weapon is with various rounds. The last thing I was thinking would happen wit this gun would be rounds not ejecting. Not a very good self defense gun if in the heat of the moment it decides not to allow a 2nd round to fire.

Yep. I know my buddies 11-87 and Benelli have the occasional round they won't like, but the SLP should come with a list of 'Shoot these, and ONLY these loads, or it'll FTF/jam every damned shot.'

When its on, its on, but it would be nice if it weren't so damned finicky.
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I guess I'm lucky but mine has worked extremely well with just about every type of ammo I've tried.  The only thing that has ever choked it was an ancient paper hulled shell that had "swollen" so that it wouldn't chamber properly.  In addition to various types of recently made ammunition, I shot an ammo can worth of mixed birdshot which had sat in the closet for more than 10 years.  Every single round of this worked fine.  The can contained various shot sizes, charges, and manufacturers, basically just a bunch of loose old rounds left over from hunts over the last 20 years.

I have about 600 rounds through mine so far.  The only break in that I did was to clean it prior to shooting and liberally lubricate it.  (I'm used to my 1187 which likes to be run very wet.)  I haven't cleaned it otherwise and it is still going strong.

My suggestion regarding functioning would be to reclean it, make sure that the gas ports are clear, lubricate it well, make absolutely sure that the correct piston is being used  (the RED one is for light loads, BLACK is for heavy loads), and make sure that it is assembled correctly.

Link Posted: 9/18/2007 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
My suggestion regarding functioning would be to reclean it, make sure that the gas ports are clear, lubricate it well, make absolutely sure that the correct piston is being used  (the RED one is for light loads, BLACK is for heavy loads), and make sure that it is assembled correctly.

What do you consider to be light and heavy loads?
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 2:40:28 AM EDT
[#49]
What do you consider to be light and heavy loads?

Per the manual, the RED piston is for shot charges of less than 1.5oz and the BLACK is for shot charges more than 1.5oz.  I've never used anything but the red piston in my shotgun.

My shotgun, for some reason, came with the black piston installed, not the red.
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 3:01:13 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm off to the range in an hour after oiling the SLP more than I usually do. We'll see. I'm bringing a variety of 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 bird, Fed LE 00, and Wolf 00, and BOTH pistons.

ETA: Back from the range. Much better!

Black cylinder cycled the loads I care about (Fed LE 00 and Wolf 00) perfectly. Ejection was a tad weak with the Fed LE, but it seemed to improve with more shooting. Another trip to range will tell, but perhaps there was some sort of 'break in' issue to deal with? As an added bonus, it cycled some cheap Winchester 1 1/4 bird shot. 1 1/8 loads wouldn't cycle.

Red cylinder cycled Wolf 100%, Fed LE 0% (though it would ALMOST cycle), and any bargain bird shot I gave it. (Win and Remington).

It'll get a good cleaning, another good oiling, and another good range session to see if 'red cylinder' performance can be improved any.

Another thing I need to pay attention to on the next run is what choke I'm using and the patterns that I'm getting. Most of my shooting was at a dirt berm with various bowling pins and whatnot, but towards the end of the session I put a few rounds into paper, and the pattern (Wolf 00) seemed awfully wide for ~35 meters. I'll have to fart around with the various chokes, I guess.

No slugs were fired since I read something in the manual way back about 'slugs and this choke are OK, but slugs and that choke are FAIL!', (or something like that), and I didn't want to find out the hard way...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top