Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 5:20:24 PM EDT
It seems like tan is the new black, but is it the best color for the urban environment.  I wanted to buy some tac. gear, but wasn't sure what the best color is to go with.  I'm mostly in an Urban / Suburb environment.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#1]
overalls and a sixpack, perhaps a freshly killed deer on the hood.

you should have been able to notice what works and what doesnt work in your environment

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
overalls and a sixpack, perhaps a freshly killed deer on the hood.

you should have been able to notice what works and what doesnt work in your environment

if it works you WOULDN'T notice it...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:03:27 AM EDT
[#3]
OD green works well everywhere. if you are mostly in an Urban / Suburb environment then you should also try some ACU stuff or desert MARPAT.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:49:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Olive drab seems to be most versatile, at least to my unexperience "eye," especially if it has a bit of gray in it.

Darker tans (like "coyote brown") are probably a close second.

Black is obvious in almost any environment.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:43:06 AM EDT
[#5]
OD.  woodland camo, black stand out like a sore  thumb in  day light.

TG
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#6]
OD, all the way.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm old (Vietnam era) guy.  O.D. all the way.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I hear that Tan is much more versatile than other colors
Why dosen't Eagle make anything in Coyote Brown?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're talking camo... take lessons from the radical Islamic insurgents. They're practically invisible until they strike.

If you're talking door-kicker gear... I'm rather fond of the coyote brown flavor, but then again, the closest it comes to actually being used in a tactical application is when I put it on and look at myself in the mirror wishing I had it all when I was in the 'stan.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the info.  Most of what I have now is woodland & OD.  I think I'll stick with that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#11]
OD Green all the way.

There must be some reason that 99% of all militaries in the world have used it at some point.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OD green works well everywhere. if you are mostly in an Urban / Suburb environment then you should also try some ACU stuff or desert MARPAT.

Yep, OD here too.
"Olive Drab...the original Multi-Cam"
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Actually, it seems like most companies are doing away w/ OD green in 2006.

Ranger Green is replacing it.  It is a darker, more grey OD, similar to Paracletes Smoke Green.

I like it alot.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
OD Green all the way.

There must be some reason that 99% of all militaries in the world have used it at some point.

Yeah, most of the world was green at one point.  It's also cheap and easy.  No design or much thought has to go into making a solid green.  And the point of have used, past tense is important.

You want to blend into an urban environment? Wear jeans and t-shirts.  If you are in a business district, try a comfortable suit. Wear what everyone else wears.
If you mean camoflauge for some reason, then just about anything that breaks up your pattern is good.  Even woodland works at a distance, much better than solid black, and better than most solids in general.  It breaks up your outlines and the eyes don't focus on blobs as well as recognised shapes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#17]
OD
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:47:20 AM EDT
[#18]
It should match the color/camo pattern of the clothes you will be wearing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:38:45 AM EDT
[#19]
OD or Khaki.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#20]
OD and a mix of coyote work great
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone else look in their closet and realize almost all of their clothes are khaki, OD, and gray?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Anyone else look in their closet and realize almost all of their clothes are khaki, OD, and gray?

+1 with a lot of black and blue. I have a couple of "OTT" (other than tactical) shirts that could be called "California Camo": Lots of wild colors and Hawaiian-style shirts.

BTW: I have both black and tan gear.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#23]
urban I'd say a shade of gray to blend in with the concrete
but the question is: blend into the background colors, or look like a sheep?
unless it's all out war in the streets I think looking like just another sheep is more important
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd go ACU
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

My wife used to hate shopping for clothes for me, she'd ask what colors, I'd say Khaki or OD.  When I bought my Jeep Liberty, I was pleased to find that Khaki was a choice for it in 2004 (currently sitting in my drive).

On topic, I have to go with the guys saying coyote/tan.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'd go ACU

Why?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#27]

ACU sucks as a pattern.  The new uniform features are awesome.

Give me the ACU uniform in Ranger Green or Coyote and I'd be a happy man.

ACU is too light in all environments I have seen, except desert.

Coyote and Ranger Green blend well everywhere, Coyote having a slight edge in the desert and RG an edge in the jungle.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Im gonna be the oddball and say sage green, as in the color of my pickle suits before switching to the ABDUs.  For camo pattern I vote ACU.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I was at a match where we had to lean our rifles against a weathered wood fence on one stage. There were a bunch of active duty military guys/gals there, most of which noticed how my Coyote-painted M4 was almost invisible against the fence/dirt compared to their black (and battered) issue M4's. I think the Coyote/Khaki works in most environments better than most other colors.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd go ACU

Why?

Have you seen Lumpy's news photos for gun nuts threads? That ACU is kick ass in an urban environment. Those pictures where our guys are on patrol inside the city are awesome. I was sleptical of the pattern at first. Not so much anymore.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd go ACU

Why?

Have you seen Lumpy's news photos for gun nuts threads? That ACU is kick ass in an urban environment. Those pictures where our guys are on patrol inside the city are awesome. I was sleptical of the pattern at first. Not so much anymore.

Link?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Link?

here's some ACU in urban action

I just checked through most of his gun nut threads and it seems a lot of the pictures are no longer up. But you get the idea from that picture. Plus it has a high-res link and some white haired ass kicker with an M16A2.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#33]
What is exactly Ranger Green and how does it compare to OD?  Also, what is Foliage Green?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#34]
ACU looks decent in some environments and really bad in others.  In general, it is too light.  Some of the recruiters around my unit have been wearing them and the foliage green is too light.  

Look at these pics:

lightfighter.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/2401082791

Ranger green is a darker, more gray version of OD.  About the color of your typical BDU nametapes or similar to Paraclete's smoke green.  Foliage green is lighter than OD, with a lot more bluish tint.  I don't care for it as much.  It really only works in bright green environments like spring time in the midwest.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
ACU looks decent in some environments and really bad in others.  In general, it is too light.  Some of the recruiters around my unit have been wearing them and the foliage green is too light.  

Look at these pics:

lightfighter.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/2401082791

Ranger green is a darker, more gray version of OD.  About the color of your typical BDU nametapes or similar to Paraclete's smoke green.  Foliage green is lighter than OD, with a lot more bluish tint.  I don't care for it as much.  It really only works in bright green environments like spring time in the midwest.

Must be signed in to view pics.
And a lot of recruiters got the lighter first generation ones.  The colors have changed slightly, and giving the old ones to recruiters is a good way to use them up.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Give me the ACU uniform in Ranger Green or Coyote and I'd be a happy man.

Yes!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If you're talking camo... take lessons from the radical Islamic insurgents. They're practically invisible until they strike.
hinking.gif

That is correct!  In Baghdad they often wore F'ing jogging suits . . .
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#38]
i use mostly OD.  old LCEs way cheaper than $300 rigs.  

whatd id like to see is woodland with a medium grey instead of black.

what also works good is woodland pants/desert top.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top