Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is the second or third time sombody has posted "HyperStealth" cammo.

Are there any pictures of a REAL uniform? So far everything has been digital - makes it hard to determine how good the patters really are.

Av.

Guy Cramer of Hyperstealth sent his customers (that's me!) an email the other day telling us to expect our uniforms to be delivered around March.
I will be one of the few civilians in the world to actually own a Hypersteath camo uniform!
Last I checked, they still have urban and desert camo still available for order. Guy has mentioned that he may never do another commercial run due to all the expense and hassle, so this might be the last and only chance to score a set.

The UK based company that contracted the camo for the Jordanians was at the SHOT show and had some examples of it there.  I expressed an interest in it but they weren't sure if they were going to be marketing it commercially or not.  

ETA:
Desert Scorpion Industries

Edit2:  With a bit of color adjustment that desert pattern would make a nice universal pattern.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2007 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't scroll through all 22 pages... did anyone post this yet?

(removed pic)
edit... yep, someone did.
Link Posted: 1/24/2007 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#3]
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

Over 4000 members of the 1/34th BCT in a special formation for a farewell ceremony.

Link Posted: 1/24/2007 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Brigade_Combat_Team_cropped.jpg/800px-Brigade_Combat_Team_cropped.jpg

Over 4000 members of the 1/34th BCT in a special formation for a farewell ceremony.

the fact that they look white and supposed to be blending in to where we should barely be able to make them out ...if that's what you're getting at
Link Posted: 1/24/2007 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Race has nothing to do with this
Link Posted: 1/24/2007 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Stands out like a sore thumb even in B&W... far too light even against that light green/tan mowed grass.
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9a/Brigade_Combat_Team_cropped.jpg/800px-Brigade_Combat_Team_cropped.jpg

Well, it's the 'Steers and Queers' for one thing.

Poor bastards just got extended 120 days...
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 5:55:01 AM EDT
[#8]
when did the Army start issuing black uniforms?
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll see your 4000 soldiers...and raise you one General

Link Posted: 1/25/2007 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#10]
How about some more photoshop surgery.
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Or even a little darker yet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn!  The photoshopped camo on the General looks pretty outstanding!  

I guess it's just further proof that the pattern is good, but the colors suck ass.

-K
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I thought the ACU blent in pretty well in Iraq. I was in DCU's at the time but the ACU guys I saw all blent in fine. I will be there again in a month in ACU's this time so we will see.

Damn you, there you go throwing in releveant field experience.  We were really enjoying the mental masturbation
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Notice whenever someone claims they "blend just fine" they're refering to Iraq or A-stan and I'm willing to bet they're refering to "on the FOB" against gravel.

On the FOB they work fantastic, anywhere else they're a sad excuse. Anyone with actual "relevent field experience" know they suck and suck badly.
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#15]
tag, great info
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:

I think almost any camo pattern (including multicam) would stand out in this picture hinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think almost any camo pattern (including multicam) would stand out in this picture

But not nearly as bad as these ACUs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
muzepix.com/ar/pics/zdjecie51463647bo-recolor3.jpg

That actually looks great.
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#19]
It was interesting to read the powerpoint that was posted.  I was surprised at how poorly multicam did in the desert environment.
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#20]
That photoshop looked good.

They need to ditch the tacticool urban colors.  Unless we go into Moscow all that light grey type color isn't going to do us much good.
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It was interesting to read the powerpoint that was posted.  I was surprised at how poorly multicam did in the desert environment.

Amazing, isn't it, how the Army did all that testing...then unilaterally threw out the results and picked a digital uniform, because it was digital therefore cool.

The overall winner of those tests- "Desert Brush"- looks sorta like a version of the Rhodesian camofauge, but with a small pattern.

By the way, the official name for our "Freakoflauge" is "Trak".
Link Posted: 1/26/2007 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is what Im pretty sure is that hyper stealth camo... look at the guy 2nd from the left. This pic was taken about 4 months ago. He is an Iraqi NCO.

Link Posted: 1/26/2007 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/26/2007 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

Even the Poles can figure out how camouflage is supposed to work...

Av
Link Posted: 1/26/2007 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Man... you should send that picture in to Material Command and get paid for it. That is such a dramatic improvement it's mind staggering. I wonder if maybe even a little darker. Either way... that looks amazing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2007 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Has any 1 tried to dye there ACUs with some OD green fabric die to see how they would look?
Link Posted: 1/26/2007 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Has any 1 tried to dye there ACUs with some OD green fabric die to see how they would look?

It's just not the same

(No, not me)
Link Posted: 1/26/2007 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I think I'd try just dyeing them coyote brown or such... there's already darker green in there which would darken more with additional dye.

I wouldn't be terribly shocked if somewhere, some unit didn't slip some tan/coyote dye in the wash and recolor (slightly) everyone's uniforms en masse.  Just cutting down on the blue glow would help tremendously.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man... you should send that picture in to Material Command and get paid for it. That is such a dramatic improvement it's mind staggering. I wonder if maybe even a little darker. Either way... that looks amazing.

Thanks  They can IM me for my paypal address

It looks pretty close to three colors already in use... coyote, sage green and OD.  If I was designing the camo I would pick something a little different, this was just manipulating the color balance, density and contrast on the existing pic.
Link Posted: 1/26/2007 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Here is what Im pretty sure is that hyper stealth camo... look at the guy 2nd from the left. This pic was taken about 4 months ago. He is an Iraqi NCO.

i117.photobucket.com/albums/o75/Belmont31R/CIMG0531.jpg?t=1169823149

That's the Jordanian camo, just like in the previously posted pic and the same as I saw at the SHOT show.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2007 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I have to say that this is one of the best threads in recent ARFcom memory.  Very informative and very interesting to read. Great pics too.

So can anyone find some more pics where the ACU's actually work well?  Or better than Woodland or DCU's?

Regarding the pics of our troops with those of other nations, can anyone comment about the opinions of other nations soldiers in regards to our ACU's?

-K

Link Posted: 1/26/2007 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#31]
More photoshops.

Link Posted: 1/26/2007 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Man, the ACU pattern sucks even worse than I thought (and I thought it sucked pretty bad to start with). But when you see the original pictured alongside doctored images that replace the "brights" with deeper tans or browns, it's easy to see the pattern itself is good. But the colors absolutely suck donkey balls on the original ACUPAT.

How could anyone in a position of authority force something so ineffective like this upon our soldiers? It's criminal!

I would much rather be issued solid khakis or olive drab than to have to wear that shit. You might as well run around wearing snow camo as that in any sort of green or semi-green environment.
Link Posted: 1/26/2007 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have to say that this is one of the best threads in recent ARFcom memory.  Very informative and very interesting to read. Great pics too.

So can anyone find some more pics where the ACU's actually work well?  Or better than Woodland or DCU's?

Regarding the pics of our troops with those of other nations, can anyone comment about the opinions of other nations soldiers in regards to our ACU's?

-K

I've only run across Canadians and Romanians and a few Brits and they weren't too impressed, however they were trying to be nice. I know they laughed behind our backs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2007 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
More photoshops.

www.muzepix.com/ar/pics/CSA-2006-08-23-084836-recolor.jpgwww.army.mil/imagesource/2006/CSA-2006-08-23-084836.jpg

www.muzepix.com/ar/pics/GEAR_MOLLE_Systems_Worn_lg-recolor.jpg

Wow, Gamma, those rock! I'm gonna send those two pics to the guy who runs defensetech.com (mentioned on the previous page) and see if he publishes them with an update.

If ACU had come out looking like that I'd already have gotten rid of my other gear on gone totally ACU.
Link Posted: 1/26/2007 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Those photoshop mods do look great.

As mentioned,  I'm sure eventually somebody will be adding a touch of dye to their ACU to improve it's camo effects in the field.

Link Posted: 1/26/2007 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
More photoshops.

www.muzepix.com/ar/pics/CSA-2006-08-23-084836-recolor.jpgwww.army.mil/imagesource/2006/CSA-2006-08-23-084836.jpg

Wow, Gamma, those rock! I'm gonna send those two pics to the guy who runs defensetech.com (mentioned on the previous page) and see if he publishes them with an update.

If ACU had come out looking like that I'd already have gotten rid of my other gear on gone totally ACU.

Five or ten years ago, if anyone had seen these sets of photos and photoshops, and knew that one was the new US Army standard uniform and one was a fake, would ANYONE have picked the correct one as the real uniform?
Link Posted: 1/27/2007 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
More photoshops.

Even better!! Really illustrated how bad the ACU is. WAYYYYYY to bright!! Not that it would change anything but you should submit those pictures to the MACOM folks to show them how f'ed up they are.
Link Posted: 1/27/2007 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/27/2007 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Gamma, if you can figure out a way to dye ACUs to match your photoshop you would be a rich man.
Link Posted: 1/27/2007 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#40]
For a uniform that (supposedly) has only Tan and two colors of Green in it, it is amazing how the ACU takes on a Bluish coloration when viewed from a distance.
Link Posted: 1/27/2007 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
For a uniform that (supposedly) has only Tan and two colors of Green in it, it is amazing how the ACU takes on a Bluish coloration when viewed from a distance.

Indeed - based on these pics, it reminds me of the first Air Force pattern that came out.

However, the uniform I wear - and see others wear - every day simply does not look like that in real life.  Then again , I repeat myself from months ago in this same thread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2007 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#42]
most of those pics of the ACU's are of new bright and shiny uniforms. none of mine look like that anymore. i have yet to see pics of ACU's at range they are all close ups. it's funny how most of the folks that are bitching dont have to wear the uniform.  i prefer the colors in
multicam but it's not the patern that makes it work, its the colors. i think that a digital version of multicam would be better yet.  

if it turn out that we find are selfs in area where the ACU is jeopardizing our troops life there would be a change. but it works in the middle east and we are going to be there for a long long time.

Link Posted: 1/27/2007 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
most of those pics of the ACU's are of new bright and shiny uniforms. none of mine look like that anymore. i have yet to see pics of ACU's at range they are all close ups. it's funny how most of the folks that are bitching dont have to wear the uniform.  i prefer the colors in
multicam but it's not the patern that makes it work, its the colors. i think that a digital version of multicam would be better yet.  

if it turn out that we find are selfs in area where the ACU is jeopardizing our troops life there would be a change. but it works in the middle east and we are going to be there for a long long time.

We have troops right now operating in far more environments than just the middle east.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2007 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed - based on these pics, it reminds me of the first Air Force pattern that came out.

However, the uniform I wear - and see others wear - every day simply does not look like that in real life.  Then again , I repeat myself from months ago in this same thread.

Sorry, I am not familiar with your background, but you wear the ACU everyday? And it does not look like (and by extension perform as badly as it appears to here) that in real life?

I have a couple of Army acquaintances in town here, and one came to visit me the other day.  Out front of my office is typical park like woods.  We were standing there talking and I asked him about the uniform and he rolled his eyes.

He was dayglo against that background and it was mostly tans/browns with some foliage here and there.  Not to slam you, but "in real life" it looked pretty fucking bad.
Link Posted: 1/27/2007 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Another one who obviously hasnt seen the ACU first hand in a desert enviroment or in the streets of Iraq...

I have yet to talk to anyone of my fellow soldiers who thinks the ACU is a good Iraq/Afghan/desert uniform....

I can post all kinds of pics of ACU's in desert conditions where it stands out. Hell I have yet to see or take a pic of the ACU where it blends in well....

Link Posted: 1/27/2007 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, I am not familiar with your background, but you wear the ACU everyday? And it does not look like (and by extension perform as badly as it appears to here) that in real life?

I have a couple of Army acquaintances in town here, and one came to visit me the other day.  Out front of my office is typical park like woods.  We were standing there talking and I asked him about the uniform and he rolled his eyes.

He was dayglo against that background and it was mostly tans/browns with some foliage here and there.  Not to slam you, but "in real life" it looked pretty fucking bad.

It is quite light against woods - but no lighter than some other things in the woods - deinfielty not blue or white.  I would prefer the tans darker (to match the boots, maybe) and the green greener - with the overall pattern more open.  However, as I have stated in this thread - the colors are identical to the "freakoflage" pattern shows in here - where people commented on liking the colors!

Logic has gone out the door here, and been replaced by blind inconsistent hatred.
Link Posted: 1/27/2007 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I see the colors as an off white, grey and steel/light blue color. Brand new there is an almost mint green color but wash them once and its greyish/blue.

The ONLY time I have seen ACU's blend in well was when DPW was repairing a part of our motorpool and a big stack of broken asphalt was present. A few guys sat on it during a break, and they blended in well with low light conditions.

Id like to see a digi pattern using the colors of the DCU....

Link Posted: 1/27/2007 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have troops right now operating in far more environments than just the middle east.  

Do you mean like Korea?  Bosnia?  Kosovo?  Africa?  Our own Southern Border?  

It is true that I haven't worn them in a field environment, but I am really starting to think the Army fucked the dog on this one.  And if some random dude on the intraweb can take 5 minutes with photoshop and produce a 1000% improvement it's totally inexcuseable.  Especially when you consider how they put the resources into actually testing several different patterns only to completely disregard their own test results because they wanted a camo that 'looked cutting edge' and was 'digital'.  

Is there any other evidence to cntradict this?  Any evidence that the actual ACU pattern was deliberatly thought out and chosen for it's effectiveness?  Seriously, if there is I would love to see it, and what the reasoning was behind the decision.

-K
Link Posted: 1/27/2007 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you mean like Korea?  Bosnia?  Kosovo?  Africa?  Our own Southern Border?  

It is true that I haven't worn them in a field environment, but I am really starting to think the Army fucked the dog on this one.  And if some random dude on the intraweb can take 5 minutes with photoshop and produce a 1000% improvement it's totally inexcuseable.  Especially when you consider how they put the resources into actually testing several different patterns only to completely disregard their own test results because they wanted a camo that 'looked cutting edge' and was 'digital'.  

Is there any other evidence to cntradict this?  Any evidence that the actual ACU pattern was deliberatly thought out and chosen for it's effectiveness?  Seriously, if there is I would love to see it, and what the reasoning was behind the decision.

-K

Not quite sure what you're getting at.  What about my comment are you bothered by?  Or, are you reacting to the comment I replied to, and bothered by it
Link Posted: 1/27/2007 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

New is when they are most effective(if ever), after just a few washes(with the right detergent) they still fade to blueish-offwhite. You're right it's not the pattern but the horrible coloration that makes the ACU ineffective.

Most soldiers that "love" the ACU praise it's comfort, but these same soldiers are the pogues and fobbits that may not rely on camouflage for mission accomplishment. It means little to them (about 90% of the Army).

Ask the grunts at Polk, Benning, Bragg, Germany and Korea how they feel about the ACU's camouflage effectiveness and they won't paint such a pretty picture.

In my unit, it's understood by all that the ACU is simply a "garrison only" utility/work uniform. In the field it's modified BDU's because they work where they're supposed to and more durable.

The Army needs to wake up and listen to it's actual warfighters as to their needs. At least the BDU/DCU wear out date is still yet to be determined.

Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top