Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2004 2:35:33 PM EDT
Well I picked it up today, had to drive to UPS hub to get it......

Anyway, I was very pleased when I opened the box, I saw a  very NICE Mauser,

The wood is all solid, no repairs, and appears to be all matching wood. The stock has the usual dings and scratches, BUT that adds charctor, so that is fine.

The metel finish is very good, with a few rough spots, looks like a few dings and scrapes in the metel, but no big deal.

The codes are all intact, it reads BYF, 43, and there are other stampings. On the left of the reciver there is a X above the serial number, inbetween a eagle and swastika on the left and aK on the right.

The serial number is also stamped in the stock, towrds the butt plate.

All in all so far it looks GREAT, at least I think so.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
are you going to clean the shellack off of the stock?  byf is mauser oberndorf if you didn't already know that.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking about cleaning the stock, BUT I dont know if I should be as aggressive as I was with my 91/30.

What would you recommend for cleaning the stock?

I used mineral spirits on my 91/30 and Yugo SKS.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
[cough]acitone[/cough]

Gotcha......
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#5]
How does the bore look?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I used Acetone on a couple of my RC's and they turned out really good.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Damned nice looking Mauser.

Put a couple of bandoleers of Turk through my M48 this morning.  The new Mojo rear sight kicks ass!  

Guess I'll go redeem my aluminum cans for another case of Turk 8mm.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How does the bore look?

That surprised me, bright and nice, and very good rifling.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Very Nice! I used Acetone on my RC and it took the gunk right off. You probably have a type of black paint covering most of the metal parts that will come off pretty quickly. I just used some bore solvent to strip it off to reveal the blue underneath. The paint seemed to gum up the action and after it was gone, the bolt operated much smoother. That is strange. Your bayonet lug is in the white. I have never seen that before.

This is what I was able to do with my RC K98.

Before
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/tula1954sks/misc/k98_2.jpg
After
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/tula1954sks/misc/m98_1a.jpg
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#10]
WOW, nice looking mauser.

I gave mine a fast cleaning on Friday, I will do more later on.

I have not decided yet if I will leave it as is, or clean it up likes yours is. I kind of like the way it looks now I know WHAT, but I do, it looks kind of cool.

The stock on mine also has a lot of charictor dings and gouges. Which is fine, I would not clean then up for anything.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice!!!

How's it shoot?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top