Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2009 8:46:44 PM EDT
What is HELGA??...you ask.....  More specifically, it is HELGA, MK668/WRR personnel-borne, rectifying, designator, intensification and FLIR recon module.

Heat Emission Light Gathering Assimilator.....the new technology from Wild River Ranch.  This sleek new search bot, puts you in the driver's seat of 21st century technology.  Designed in Texas, by Texans, originally for use with border crossing drug cartels, and Mexican military and paramilitary interlopers, the HELGA found its niche among south Texas hog hunters attempting to diffuse the pig bomb.  We received so much interest from these hi-tech-ranchers, that our own hi-tech-rancher, set out to make today's finest civilian-designed, yet militarily-capable recon unit available in the world today.

We at Wild River Ranch, designed the HELGA to be capable of detecting marauding feral hogs at distances of up to 600 meters.  Thermal imaging, or FLIR, was accomplished via the TAM-14, today's most compact hand-held  and weapon mounted thermal monocular.  Using the latest microbolometer and thermal differentiation calibration, the TAM -14 gives surprising resolution in a small, lightweight unit.  Deltas as minute as 0.33 KPa can be detected from distances of up to 535 meters in tests we performed at the "ground zero, minus 1" testing facility.   Possessing 2X zoom, and simple azimuth and elevation adjustments, the TAM-14 may be weapon mounted for situations requiring thermal sighting.   Add  the white hot and black hot settings for a very complete array of Thermal sensor views, which allow for detecting heat sources from animals, characterized by cellular metabolism and positron emission, versus those from "radiant' sources created by absorption and gradual diffusion.  The Germanium Arsenide 3X magnifier is also on its way for future 6 X total magnification capability.

Since the combat hog hunts require other squad members to carry NVD's, the HELGA must also incorporate the latest GEN III ITT, Pinnacle, Autogated intensification tube technology.   This allows the operator to 1) locate heat signatures, then differentiate  target versus non- target species, using visual cues, under magnification, by reflection of infrared illumination off the retinas of those animals with rod to cone ratio of 8.375 : 1 ( deer)  versus those with RCR of only 2.2625 : 1 ( hogs).  Thus, non-target species such as deer maybe passed by with  HELGA, whereas other Thermal devices leave the operator with a false sense of necessity to dismount and attack, only to find out that they have stalked to within range of a heat signature which is a non- target animal. 2) illuminate targets, and assess situational flow, personnel positioning  under firing sequences, and target response, using the same imaging as the shooter. 3) view high resolution images when ambient or provided light source is minimal, moderate or intense, including the 4X magnification of the D-740 currently mounted on the HELGA.

Once firing sequences are ceased, the thermal can then be re-deployed instantly to asses the location of wounded but ambulatory boars, often dangerously doubling back on the squad, so that they can be neutralized before any counter-attack is mounted.  This is not possible with NVD's alone.   These dangerous animals may hide in vegetation before counter-attacking, so thermal imaging may still allow the gunner to ID and kill it before the assault is undertaken.

The trigger of the HELGA module is fully functional, actuating the PEQ-2 alpha IR laser for target designation.  The Torch IR illuminator is easily converted to pressure switch actuation, in the event the operator is sensitive to contralateral dysdiachokinesis.  Mounts are included for tang positioning or pistol grip piggy-back.

A new era of anti-Porcine reconnaissance, designation, differentiation, and  illumination is at hand.   The world has never seen a device such as HELGA and it may never be the same after its release.  Below are some of the first in the field tests, and the kills we made using her.  My Client (who is my # 1in seniority and repeat visits to the ranch) was given the privilege of the first ever hunt with the HELGA, MK 668/WRR.  He flew all the way from Kentucky to Texas and we stalked to within 30 yards of two huge hogs that weekend.  The technology so amazed hm that he booked a hunt for October, and paid his fee in advance!  He performed well, and shot my 6.8 SPC, using Barnes 85 grain TSX's,  killing each hog with one shot.

HELGA comes in 3 colors:

1) Wild River deliverance camo (pictured)

2) EBR black

3) luscious lavender (add $45)

Hog hunts are extra.

We purchased our D-740, TAM-14 and Torch VBF units from Tactical Night Vision company, who has now graciously agreed to become our technical consultant and supplier for future development.  

Future write-ups are also planned for TNVC's PT - Alpha, Jump rated NV Helmet, tested recently at Wild River Ranch.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 4:17:19 AM EDT
[#1]
pics thru HELGA plz
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
A pinnacle of ingenuity and innovation!  

Great pics, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey guys, I have been there and did the night-time hog hunt.  HELGA enables the guide to spot game with the thermal.  Next comes the stalk to ID the potentional targets.  We got within 20 and 40 yards of wild hogs.  The guide can put a laser out to reveal the location of game or use a night vision spotlight so the hunters know where the target is.  The hogs knew something was going on,only they did not know what.  We collected a pair of hogs that weekend and had a blast.  I have re-booked for this fall.  The combo of thermal and night vision is state of the art for night-time hog hunting.  Good shooting!  Jeff in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
how much for one of your hunts? I am in texas frequently and being a utah boy,   don't have opportunity to hunt hogs.  I have always wanted to try it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
pics thru HELGA plz

Thread is worthless without these.
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
how much for one of your hunts? I am in texas frequently and being a utah boy,   don't have opportunity to hunt hogs.  I have always wanted to try it.

Sorry, forgot to post the link:

www.wildriverranchtexas.com for more information.

we look forward to having you....

Link Posted: 8/25/2009 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top