Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/3/2007 4:37:12 PM EDT
 The Colt lovers are gonna hang me by a tree.

Well I finally broke down and did it...phase 1 here it is.  Krylon Ultra Flat Tan.

Phase 2 will be OD misting...haven't decided on a pattern yet.

Phase 3 will be Alumahyde II Clear Matte for a lil bit of protection.  

Basically I took some $1.50 or whatever brake cleaner....hosed all the parts down.  Then threw on the Krylon.  It was kinda windy out so I'm covered in Krylon and my arm hair feels like a I ran hair gel through it....it's so stiff.  

Now only if all environments were the same color as my apartment shower tile this rifle would be perfect and no need for OD Krylon.    More pics to follow! And yes the rubber Aimpoint caps weren't fully coated but I didn't care b/c most of the paint will come off the rubber caps quickly.

Link Posted: 4/3/2007 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck it man, if you like it that's all that matters.
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Lookin forward to the finished project
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Fuck it man, if you like it that's all that matters.

Trust me....my balls are feeling a lil brass like tonight.  

Plus I was bored!

NC:  I dunno when the true finished project will be just b/c I've went back and forth so many times trying to decide on a pattern.  We do have pine type bushes outside the complex so I may just go w/ that.
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Krylon paint jobs.  Cheap easy and if you mess it up or decide to change it you just strip it off.  Great stuff.  I have a couple shooting buddies that think I own a dozen AR's when its just one I keep repainting as I feel like it.

The list so far.
"old army" Cam
OD green
Digicam in ACU, Marine Dig, Urban, Multicam (Love doing cutout paterns)
Tigerstripe, Jungle, sandbox, Urban, and an Urban with Purple stripes.
And now I'm back to black
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#5]
That looks great, I can't wait to see Stage 2!  Oh, by the way:  Colt's Manufacturing lost, Bushmaster won, you can ditch the "gery" and call it an "M-4" all you want.
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I like Krylon paint jobs.  Cheap easy and if you mess it up or decide to change it you just strip it off.  Great stuff.  I have a couple shooting buddies that think I own a dozen AR's when its just one I keep repainting as I feel like it.

The list so far.
"old army" Cam
OD green
Digicam in ACU, Marine Dig, Urban, Multicam (Love doing cutout paterns)
Tigerstripe, Jungle, sandbox, Urban, and an Urban with Purple stripes.
And now I'm back to black

Ya I've done Krylon on my Glock (which for Krylon has held up damn well on the frame), 6005, dusting some gear, along w/ some other parts/furniture.  I love it for the exact reasons you listed.

And after awhile I know what you mean...ya just gotta go back to the basics....Back In Black...rings a bell (ACDC)
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That looks great, I can't wait to see Stage 2!  Oh, by the way:  Colt's Manufacturing lost, Bushmaster won, you can ditch the "gery" and call it an "M-4" all you want.

Thanks......well if I start callin it an M4 I feel kinda lost w/ out the happy switch
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 4/4/2007 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 8:26:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Stick...thanks...I've got so many ideas of patterns I just can pin down one...but the nice thing about Krylon...as you know...

If I mess up...I can simply remove it or start over.

I'm thinking hitting it w/ some medium brown and OD....not sure though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I decided I'm gonna do a multicam style finish.  Therefore I had to change what I originally was working w/

So now here it is..update 2

I have medium brown (coyote), brown, OD, and more khaki on the way.

For the base coat multicam has a yellowish green which fades from light yellowish to green.  Therefore I just took some Satin Krylon green and misted it.  Ended up being too much and had to go back and mist w/ some more khaki.  Also you'll see in the pics the type of templates I'm gonna use.  Basically just free hand drawing them out and then taking an exacto knife and cutting.

It's going okay so far but I still think the base coat needs to be lighter so I may hit it w/ some more khaki.

Okay here are the template designs I'm working w/ and then onto the "too much green" pics and then the "after misting w/ khaki again" pics

Link Posted: 4/5/2007 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#12]
OST for results!
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Added more khaki

Link Posted: 4/5/2007 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#14]
put on the first batch of green for the pattern....turned out okay I guess...lil windy outside so the control isn't that great and it's hard to lay that folder sheet perfectly flat.

Got the coyote to add...then the brown...and then the white (but those have yet to arrive yet)

Also have to cut out some more patterns.

Link Posted: 4/5/2007 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Alright....I'm digging it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#16]
You just killed the entire point of a Krylon job.
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Please elaborate.

Thanks Hellbound.
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe he means that Krylon should be applied in a haphazard way as to break up the outline of the weapon?

Just guessing.

Here is a pic of 2 of mine, nothing fancy.    Just received my MI rails for my mid length, waiting on my rail covers....

Link Posted: 4/5/2007 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Pretty awesome so far, keep it up and dont let the detractors get you down...

Lookin' good
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Maybe he means that Krylon should be applied in a haphazard way as to break up the outline of the weapon?

Just guessing.

Here is a pic of 2 of mine, nothing fancy.    Just received my MI rails for my mid length, waiting on my rail covers....

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/bella101/camoARs.jpg

Precisely...  I mean, I know what I'm talking about cuz I'm such a high speed operator.  I just stay overweight so I blend in with the public.  I smoke people think I can't run that fast.  I drink to keep my mind numbed out of fear that reflexes will get the best of me.

Hardcore.

Link Posted: 4/5/2007 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please elaborate.

Thanks Hellbound.

I think what he means is if you are going to put this much time and effort into a project, you might use a product that is not going to rub off or smear the first time you get a little Hoppes #9 on it.

BTW - Your rifle is looking really good...
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please elaborate.

Thanks Hellbound.

I think what he means is if you are going to put this much time and effort into a project, you might use a product that is not going to rub off or smear the first time you get a little Hoppes #9 on it.

Oh Heavens, no.  I hosed down my M4, M203, and ACOG with Krylon in a most random manner.
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please elaborate.

Thanks Hellbound.

Oh Heavens, no.  I hosed down my M4, M203, and ACOG with Krylon in a most random manner.

Welcome to the Krylon Kult....
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I am doing an SKS in a aimilar manner. I will post pics when I am done. Hell. Ill do it mid paint tomorow.  I got a chinese SKS with a bulged barrel. It was at the tip, and I cut it down an milled the barrel to accept the front sight base. Now I have a folding stock on the way and a 10 round original mag in the rework. I bought it for 39$ Im sinking in 30 and some time and paint. This should be fun..
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Just guessing.

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/bella101/camoARs.jpg

Nice...I get what he means now and after reading his reply below yours I see.  Eh...it's a fun gun anyways and I'm not secret spec op army seal door gunner or anything so if it doesn't work...it doesn't work...then I'll just re do it.  BTW just got my tracking number from FedEx and my other paint colors should be here next Tuesday (the 10th) so this is getting delayed for a few days but that is good b/c I have a paper to write for one of my LE classes.  

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement guys!

And besides..if I wanna go back to black...I'll just build another one...as I have once before.
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I am doing an SKS in a aimilar manner. I will post pics when I am done. Hell. Ill do it mid paint tomorow.  I got a chinese SKS with a bulged barrel. It was at the tip, and I cut it down an milled the barrel to accept the front sight base. Now I have a folding stock on the way and a 10 round original mag in the rework. I bought it for 39$ Im sinking in 30 and some time and paint. This should be fun..

Sounds like a fun project bro.  I need to get me an SKS...I already have the ammo so why not!?!?!

Definitely post pics when you're done.  

BTW in case anyone is wondering...I was going to do the blue painters tape route and mask everything off but that shit was pullin up the paint ...

May try it again tomorrow w/ the other side (it doesn't have the green paint on it yet)
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Keep going.  I need to see how this turns out.  

I tossed the idea around before but couldn't find paints in a can that matched the colors of multicam closely enough.  there was somebody else that posted a pic of their AR15 that they painted to closely match multicam (stephen101st ?).  I had a rubber armored spotting scope that stuck out like a sore thumb, so I mixed my own paints and did a multicamish, haphazard paint scheme on it with an airbrush and now it dissappears.  I'll try and post a pic.

I'm thinking about doing a base coat in allumahyde II and then mixing my own paints for over top.  Then hit it again with allumahyde II flat clear.

Good luck.  

ETA: Pic of spotting scope

I started off with the greens but never finished it.  I was heading out one day and needed the scope so I whipped up some brown paint and sprayed it on pretty quick.  Not an exact copy and the brown is way too redish, but it's as close as I needed it at the time.  Outside it blends in pretty good.

Link Posted: 4/6/2007 4:56:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Go ahead and post a pic if ya want.  I'd like to see what you've done.  

There is rain, wind, and cold weather in the forecast for the next few days and the colder it is the more the Krylon splatters and creates blobs....so I may be on hold for the weekend.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 6:11:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Where did you get the Krylon from (I'm assuming that all the colors you need weren't at the Home Depot and you had to order online).

Looks good so far, I'm thinking I might do my .308 like this.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Here ya go

www.acehotline.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamMan=17&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamCat=48&txtsearchParamVen=ALL

It's more expensive than it is in most stores but it's seriously the only place I could find the extra colors w/out order a crate of each color...
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Got my extra paint in...threw on the coyote color earlier....

Turning out okay so far.

Not an exact match but I think it's gonna turn out good.

Link Posted: 4/10/2007 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#32]

That LOOKS good!

Link Posted: 4/10/2007 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
That LOOKS good!

Thanks Hellbound!
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
That LOOKS good!

+1
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That LOOKS good!

+1

Thanks!  Not done yet...just added the brown.  Then all I have to do is add the white and the kinda mist it w/ some khaki to dull the colors a lil more...especially the coyote since it's a bit orange looking....

Link Posted: 4/10/2007 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Welllllllll....this side is done...now onto the other side!  BTW I misted the white w/ some khaki and the white really stands out worse on camera than in person.

Link Posted: 4/10/2007 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Even better!

Damn.
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Tag to see the pics from home.

I'm thinking of Kryloning one of these guitars!..

Link Posted: 4/10/2007 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Even better!

Damn.

Thanks!

That pic is kinda blurry...so once the paint dries I'll take some more pics.  I'll eventually get around to painting the other side.  Probably tomorrow or something.  Wind is really picking up here!

I just wish that white wouldn't stand out so bad.  I may mist another coat of khaki on it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Post some pics of it!  Preferably of you carrying it in Iguana Macs!
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Tag to see the pics from home.

I'm thinking of Kryloning one of these guitars!..

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=2597&iGalleryUnq=924&iImageUnq=51703

I Krylon'd one of my basses awhile ago....turned out alright but didn't hold up for shit the more shows we did....especially right where I rested my palm.

BTW Mark....here's a desktop I made a couple years ago and in the pic below you can kinda see the krylon job...

Link Posted: 4/10/2007 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Everyone knows that "gitarz" can only be camo'ed in tigerstripe.

Link Posted: 4/10/2007 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Here's a kinda hard to see Krylon job on an M4.

Link Posted: 4/10/2007 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 4/10/2007 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#45]
VERY NICELY DONE!!!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Ya you did a really good job there. Nicely done.
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Very nice looking paint job...

Link Posted: 4/10/2007 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Thank you very much guys!
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Fuckin' AWESOME dude,

To bad you live in Ill. I want you to do one of mine
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top