Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2007 8:51:11 PM EDT
My latest project - my Tikka .308 with a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T scope in multicam using Duracoat paint.  

First, let me say that mixing the colors to try to match the MC colors was a lot harder than I thought.  In the end, I got some right, others are not.  You may notice that there is some blending with the colors - in an attempt to more accurately replicate MC.
There are 9 colors in the gun.  

I ran into a problem with the Tikka stocks - the DC would not stick to them.  I got almost all the way done and had to sandblast them and start over (insert swear words here).  After sandblasting, the Duracoat seems to be sticking well.  That's the first time I've seen a synthetic stock that had that problem.

My intent was to figure out the "recipe" for the MC colors and post them.  Unfortunately, I don't think I could accurately state the mix I used because it was - a start with one color add a little of this, a few drops of that.  Because Duracoat will sometimes change tones when drying, it's easy to be off on your colors.  Case in point - I have some "cooler green" which looks much darker when you're mixing it but dries much lighter.

I'm going to contact Duracoat (I know others have tried) and beg them to create MC colors, or to help me create the recipe.  I will post info if I find out.

I've been trying to figure out a way to cover scope rings.  I've had terrible luck Duracoating the rubber rings - it just doesn't want to work for me.  So, I cut out strips of the MC fabric, sprayed the rubber scope rings with a 3M adhesive and attached the fabric strips.  I then trimmed the fabric (you can see I need to trim them a little more).

Link Posted: 9/17/2007 3:57:34 AM EDT
[#1]

Looks pretty darn good IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Why am I looking at a pic of canvas? JK nice jorb.
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice work!
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  I missed on a few of the colors, but you can stand 10 feet from the gun on the Multicam fabric and miss it!  

I did learn a lot and I think the next one in MC will be even better.
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#5]
VERY NICE!
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks Great!
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#8]
looks awesome! how does it shoot?
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
looks awesome! how does it shoot?

Thanks everyone!  

Toby- I'm just getting it broken in.  I've found a reload combo that is producing .5" groups - 165 gr. Hornady SSTs (this is my deer load), Varget and Federal Match primers.  I'm hoping to shoot some groups out to 300-400 yards this weekend.  If I can I'll report back, if you're interested.  You can PM too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2007 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dude, that is awesome!!  But, what happens when you lean it against a tree to pee?  Will you ever see it again?

Good Question!  I get that once in a while...

The other one I seem to get is.. (shake of the head and look of disgust) "what did you do to your gun??!!" this is generally the reaction by the gun purists...the kind of guys who beleive that all bolt guns should be blued steel and polished wood and all ARs should be black.  I say each to his own.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I've seen a lot of camo painted firearms....yours is among the top 5. GREAT JOB!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top