Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 10:19:29 PM EDT
Any experience?  They have a Liberty 50 (?) at a local shop...just wondering the usual stuff.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a couple of the 9mm and .22 versions way back before the ban. The 9mms are way better then the .22s in my opinion. I had both the 50rd and the 100rd mags in the pistol and rifle version.  The iron sights suck, but they sold a mount that kinda wrapped around the mag and attached to the receiver near the mag catches on each side.  The 9s were pretty reliable, but not 100%. It was a bit finichy about ammo. I never really looked at it in a serious way...I don't know why, I don't use any of my guns for "Real Life" conflicts or anything. I would buy another one and SBR it if I could find one with a few mags at a reasonable price....they are kinda cool I guess.

It's kinda cool how the empties eject out of the bottom.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#2]
was it one of the pre-ban ones or is it one of those new productions that was suppost to come out sometime soon?

*no expeierence, just wondering if the new ones have made it out yet, if ever
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:43:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I owned a 9mm one. I think you should pass.

The drum mag had to go back for repair twice. Crappy plastic parts in the mag kept breaking causing the spring to lose tension.

The rail mount for optics is pitiful. Loose, not straight, etc.

It looked cool, but I'll never consider buying another. I sold it.

If you plan on fondling it and not shooting it much, it might be OK.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:50:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I never had any of those issues. They obviously didn't have good quality control from ont to the next.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an M-951 and it functions 100% so long as I'm not using Silver Bear or Wolf ammo, for some reason it doesn't like the steel case stuff, only gun I've run into that problem with....

I think they started to have some quality control issues with their later guns since I think they were produced from existing spare parts, irrc, there was a story there but  I can't remember it, and there post-ban guns apperantly had horrible quality control issues. Now that they are back in bussiness I'd give that a shot, they are really inovative guns, I think had the ban not come into place you'd be seeing alot more of them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#6]
That makes sense. My 9mm carbine and pistol were a couple of the real early ones. As long as you used new manufactured ammo, it worked good. I did however have multiple issues with the .22s I had.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#7]
The one I saw is an older one, at least think because it has the collapseable stock, although it does not have a FH.  I am not going to get because it looks pretty abused.

About the new ones, when are they coming out?  Will they have all the "no-ban" features?  What about cost?

I like the idea of this gun's design, l just hope it is executed properly.

Who will be the guinne-pig when the new one is out?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Before the ban they were supposedly working on a .223 and a 12 guage......The .223 sounds very interesting, it was supposed to have some mega capacity magazine. The 12 guage (I thought I heard) was supposed to hold 25 rounds.....that just seems like it would get too heavy to be practical...and now it would be a destructive device...I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn you.......now you got another gun bouncing around my head...thinking I need to look into one of those again....I must admit, it was a fun gun.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a 9mm carbine also w/50rnd mag. It was fun to shoot but I thought the mag was a pain plus I had to replace the spring also. I bought it used (probably why they sold it). I ended up trading it in on my Bushmaster. The Calico certainly looks cool!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's my take on it....

If you already have an AR, an AK, maybe a few HK clones already.....then it is something to buy to play with. I would never buy it as my one and only SHTF rifle. I see it as more of a "Fun stuff" item.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it has potential.  If the bugs could get worked out and a new sighting and accessory interface was designed, I think it would be a viable weapon.  But I too doubt that that will happen.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I had one of the .22LR versions with the folding stock back in the late '80s. It was a neat little rifle, with the detachable barrel and 100-round drum and all. But it was a jamming son of a gun. Even if you followed the directions correctly regarding winding the spring, it would still missfeed. It's possible that I was using crappy ammo. Who knows? I sold it to a guy I used to work with within the first year of owning it. He promptly returned it with a threat of small claims court if I didn't refund his money. I did, then traded it even for a Honda Civic.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I borrowed the 9mm rifle at a club once.  It shot very nicely.

I’d do the sights a bit differently and a few other things, but as a whole it was nice shooting it.

And while I’d love to own a Full Auto version of it I wouldn’t mind owning the semi with the 100 round magazine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top