Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/8/2006 12:44:37 PM EDT
Any word on it. is it going to be at the shot show? how about a civy version. after hearing all this about the sig 556, i wanted one. but then i saw it. and now i hope the SCAR comes out.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#1]
civy version, YES, about a year or so, posibly due out at the end of the year, as herd from a FN rep
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#3]

2nd Generation version (this is the -H in 7.62x51).  Am anxiously awaiting any news from SHOT.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The latest developments I've heard of are that the ARM(L) will be available to LE Agencies with in the next few months, and civilian models should be ready by next year's SHOT show.

I have yet to hear any recent news on the SCAR(H).
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be surprised based on what I have heard if you see a Fn scar rifle for sale to the public by the end of 2007.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would be surprised based on what I have heard if you see a Fn scar rifle for sale to the public by the end of 2007.

Care to elaborate? IM me if you'd like.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]
when i spoke with the rep, i inquired specifically about the H version and he said maybe by the end of the year,

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The latest developments I've heard of are that the ARM(L) will be available to LE Agencies with in the next few months, and civilian models should be ready by next year's SHOT show.

I have yet to hear any recent news on the SCAR(H).

I was hoping for summer '06, not winter '07
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#9]
The AAC booth in the LE section will have a set of first-gen rifles.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]
If you guys want the skinny on the SCAR-L, I sent an e-mail to FN the other day, and this is how it went:

"Can you tell me if FN will be producing a civilian copy of the FN
SCAR-L and H models like the FN2000 bullpup rifle that is coming out? When
might these be available? Thanks"

And this was the reply that I got back:

"Late '06/early '07.  You can see them at the SHOT Show in our booth"

So, for what it's worth, they will be coming soon............and I think I like the SCAR a little better than the SIG offering, but if I sell this milled AK and one of my AR's, I might just have both
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:21:02 AM EDT
[#11]
After seeing pictures of the new sig 556, I am even more excited about the new FN ARM(L)
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll take the 556

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I have never owned a 308 rifle, but it looks like that will change in 2007.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Someone needs to go to the FN booth and take some pics. Hopefully by tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#15]
No shit...

I mean it is almost 11 EST and we haven't seen any decent pics from Sigarms or FNH, yet.

Where in the hell are all of the press people we depend on ?

Drunk ?  Possibly, but for our sakes I hope not  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No shit...

I mean it is almost 11 EST and we haven't seen any decent pics from Sigarms or FNH, yet.

I'd be too busy snapping as many photos as possible and handling as many new toys as I could instead of posting progress
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No shit...

I'd be too busy snapping as many photos as possible and handling as many new toys as I could instead of posting progress

That is what we are doing.  Our pic thread is here but we won't add more photos until tonight:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=435843

As long as you're adding more photos sometime tonight, I'm happy
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag for the SCAR.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have never owned a 308 rifle, but it looks like that will change in 2007.

Yep same here, I have yet to own a 308.  Looks like I just found my .308!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Tag.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#22]
TAG
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
www.defensereview.com/1_31_2004/SCAR.jpg

Is that a 14.5 inch barrel?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.defensereview.com/1_31_2004/SCAR.jpg

Is that a 14.5 inch barrel?

The info I read a while back indicated that there were 10", 14" and 18" barrels.  So that would be a 14" it would seem.

ETA:  posting/reposting the SCAR pics from SHOT threads that I found, for your viewing pleasure:

Edward Avila/AR15.com

Talon Arms

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone else noticed the reactions from the guys that handled it at SHOT?

There aren't a whole lot of guys saying they like it. That, and they're saying it's not gonna be a year until they make it, it's gonna be 2 or 3 if they choose to make it for civilians at all.

Talk about a rumor mill.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#26]
When I talked to the FN rep at the show, nice lady btw, she stated that there is going to be one more revision of the SCAR and then it goes into production around Nov 06..... for SOCOM.   When asked when the civi version would be forthcoming, 2 to 3 years from now, depending on how the rest of the military acts.   Everybody liked the SCAR at the show.  Didnt really like the looks so didn't pay that much attention, but when we went to see the 90 and the 2000.... sure lets FF the scar too.  WOW just wow.  I'll take two in each caliber.

Also talked to a FN rep that use to work for HK and he said that the HK416 will never come to the civi market.  HK didn't have much, but they did display a P7M7.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#27]
are you shitting me?! two to three years?! thats to damn long i want one now!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
are you shitting me?! two to three years?! thats to damn long i want one now!

I'm with you on that one.    But they have to take care of the boys that service this great nation first.  The SCAR was easily the best rifle at the show.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#29]
damnit i dont wanna hear it was the best rifle at the show thats just salt in the wounds. ya i really wanna hear some feedback fromg uys using it in the field. i guess tell then ill have to settle with a sig.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:23:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm very curious about the SCAR as a military weapon, but dont think I would buy one as a civilian. I think it's a very good concept though
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Any word at all about this 3rd version?  Is it a different profile, or cal.?  TalonArms already posted the 2-3 year waiting period.  My only problem w/ that is the possiblity of a Federal election turnabout in '08 that ends w/ a "moderate" in the WH.  If FN has serious plans for this as a market-winner & $$$-maker, would be good if they could manage to get it out before the next Federal election cycle, or else it might be no-joy.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Here's the e-mail I received from FN. My personal information has been edited out.

My first question was how the Winchester plant closing would effect their shotgun production.

My second question was asking how the SCAR rifles were coming along and if we would see civilian models anytime soon.

My third question was asking when the FS2000 will be available.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Similar email responses from FN have been posted in the past, but the current word coming directly from FN @ the Show is "2-3 years".  Looks like the right hand needs to talk to the left over @ FN.  I'd like to know where it stands.  Also like to know what that "3rd version" is about.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#34]
When I asked FN about the 90 and the 2000.  They said that they had a meeting the night before SHOT about production and release dates.  Basically, they screwed up.   Note enough 5.7 ammo, only a few 90 out and who they went too and the 2000 is 6 months behind.   Think that is half the reason they said 2-3 years for the SCAR to come out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
When I asked FN about the 90 and the 2000.  They said that they had a meeting the night before SHOT about production and release dates.  Basically, they screwed up.   Note enough 5.7 ammo, only a few 90 out and who they went too and the 2000 is 6 months behind.   Think that is half the reason they said 2-3 years for the SCAR to come out.

So they're giving themselves a "buffer" to mitigate any chance of a later-than-early-'07 production situation.  Makes sense.  Should this be taken that it still might get out before '08?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Not to flame, but I'd rather buy a Sig 556.

But that's just me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

But that's just me.

I said the same thing until the shot show.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I sure hope civilian SCAR-L and SCAR-H offerings come out before the 2008 elections.  In fact I wish they'd offer them before the 2006 Congressional elections.  They need to flood the market with these before the ding-dong antigunners get a chance to enact more legislation.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#39]
well um....does anyone want pics of the FN SCAR :)  just got back from shot show also....but i was told by the reps that the SCAR L and H would be out  in a year , latest would be a year and a half....just what I was told by 3 different reps.....guys let me tell you the SCAR H is the SHIT!!!! the rifle is just awesome and LIGHT AS HELL  its weight was about 7lbs....7lbs!!! i couldnt believe it and when I asked if that was about what there looking at as far as weight for civie version I was told....thats it what you see is what your getting....HELL YA SIGN ME UP!!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#40]
My brother handled the ARM-H at the show, says he loved it. They said 1-2 years till civilian production opened up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, the e-mail I got said late 06/early 07 for the civvie versions, but if it takes a little longer, hopefully they will get them in before 08..................gives me more time to get some moolah saved and get both the SIG and the SCAR
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
well um....does anyone want pics of the FN SCAR :)  just got back from shot show also....but i was told by the reps that the SCAR L and H would be out  in a year , latest would be a year and a half....just what I was told by 3 different reps.....guys let me tell you the SCAR H is the SHIT!!!! the rifle is just awesome and LIGHT AS HELL  its weight was about 7lbs....7lbs!!! i couldnt believe it and when I asked if that was about what there looking at as far as weight for civie version I was told....thats it what you see is what your getting....HELL YA SIGN ME UP!!!!

Someone posted a link to a forum thread on another site wherein the comment was that field reports have the current ARM-H recoiling too heavily, & so FN was going to add some more weight.  If so, I'd humbly suggest a medium to heavy bbl. profile.  I'd still like to know what the "3rd version" of this this system - told straight from SMGLee - is about.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I handled both the 556 and 762 SCARs at the shot show.  The 762 is awesome. Very light weight, uses modified FAL mags.

The 556 wasnt anything special IMO.  I would prefer the Colt Gas Piston M4 myself.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I keep seeing the SCAR-H with a 10 inch barrel.  I know there is much debate over the 5.56's effectiveness from a 10 inch, but how does a slower moving 7.62 perform?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I handled both the 556 and 762 SCARs at the shot show.  The 762 is awesome. Very light weight, uses modified FAL mags.

The 556 wasnt anything special IMO.  I would prefer the Colt Gas Piston M4 myself.

Did they actually feel different, or was it a mental thing (this one's a 7.62, this one's a 5.56-type thing)?

How heavy was the L in comparision to the H?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But that's just me.

I said the same thing until the shot show.  

I may have missed it, but could you explain the reasons why?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Sure,  when the group that I was with went to the shot show, we were already to see the Sig 556.  Having shot a 550 before, who in their right mind would not want to have one of those.  

Well we go in and hang a right and there is the FN booth.  Went to see the 90 and the 2000.   Thought the 90 was a waste of money and the 2000 was a well bananced bullpup but kinda cool.  Is it a Aug? No, but close have to see how it shoots.   Then off in the distance we see the HK booth and lets go, but since we are already at the FN booth lets see the SCAR.  Only read about it and thought it looked like a volvo, boxy.   Picked the dam thing up and fell in love.  6.5 lbs.  Left or right sided charging handle. The stock is amazing in, out, up, down, and folds.  Rail on top goes forever. Uses ar mags.  Balanced.  nice selector switch postions 90 instead of 180 degrees.  And to top it off they are making a 308 version.  Everybody was like WOW.

Then went to the HK booth not much there, Thanks alot HK for another year of not much.  Well at least they had the 416.  With Colt coming out with a piston also...  We're thinking we have to find the Sig booth.  So off we go.

Get to the SIG booth and everybody and mom is looking at it.   Excitement all around.   Picked it up and wow this looks like Tapco help design the furniture.   With no weight in the rear, the darn thing is way front heavy.   Thinking back to the 550 the upper receiver quality didn't look to be there.  Yes its a proto-type.   But this is a SIG.  Handguards, grip and stock, felt and looked cheap IMHO.  Plastic rails  They need 550 furniture.   The top of the receiver has this raised rail that looks like crap.  Lower the darn thing down.  Sights are not diopler.  Need hooded front sights.  Needs two stage trigger.   Now the lower I can live with the ar usgi mags are fine.   But the orlites that clamp together.  Yes they are made in Israel, as told to me by the Rep.    

Now looking back I think if the 556 was a stand alone gun and I had never seen, played with and shot a 550.  I would still say go with the SCAR over the 556.   Hopefully SIG is listening to the civi market and makes some changes to get closer to the 550.    Saw a picture of a "sig 556" concept picture and hope they produce something like this.  Got it over on the SIG forum.

Now if it looks like this and runs great I'll be first in line to pick a couple of them up....  right next to the SCARs.

Just my opinion on it.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I spent approximately an hour in the course of three visits going over the SCAR.  Obviously I haven't shot it, and I didn't even dry fire it, but I did play with it, and talk to the reps, so hear me out.

It is light.  The 14.5 5.56, as shown, weighed 6.9 pounds.  The H model was a little heavier, weighing in at 7 pounds.  For comparioson, an M4 weights approx the same when equipped with a rail and iron sights, nad the H model is 1.5 pounds lighter than an M14 with a 22 inch barrel.

The L model will be offered with the following barrels: 10.X, 14.5, 16, 18.X.

The H model with be offered from 10-20 inches.

The controls are similar to but actually superior to an M4.  The charging handle is relocated for easier use.  I didn't ask, but it would seem to be possible to run the CH on both sides, making Type 3 malfunction clearances easier.

The stock is one of the best I've ever felt.  Not only is it collapsible, but it folds and has an adjustable cheekpiece.  It is very comfortable.

All in all, I think that the SCAR-L will be a viable alternative to the M4, but the SCAR-H (and I believe that they are calling it the ARM-L and -H now) is far more revolutionary.  I'll be saving up for one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks, guys, for the commentary. Interesting.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Now if it looks like this and runs great I'll be first in line to pick a couple of them up....  right next to the SCARs.

Just my opinion on it.  

Now that, I would buy! Just to be a little cheesy, I'd have to find some old clear Eagle mags to go with it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top