Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/27/2006 11:30:38 AM EDT
All credit goes to PointBlank. I don't have any insider knowledge. Merely posting what I found as it was presented.

Bad news for the HK417 i guess... Contracts are supposedly to be signed within the next two weeks. Below are pics of the third and final prototypes. Internals didn't change at all from the first versions (good sign, speaks dor a sound design), only external details were changed.

So far officers are very impressed with the rifle. FN has managed to get the costs far below the initial expectations, no more than 700-800 dollars. If nothing bad happens, changes are high this rifle could become the next issue rifle. Or at least rumor has it.

The only flaw the guy in the pics mentioned is that the dismantling is not so good amd too complicated compared to the G36 for example.

SCAR H

SCAR L

And of course a gratuitous pic of the EGLM, which is ambidexterous:

And the EGLM range finder:
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Where did you get that, HK boards? And what kind of optic is that?
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Where did you get that, HK boards? And what kind of optic is that?

Don't know. Someone said something about Aimpoint, but I think he meant Red Dot in general.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Aesthetically, I prefer the gen-2 cheek piece shown in the gratuitous add in "G&A".

Link Posted: 6/27/2006 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Aesthetically, I prefer the gen-2 cheek piece shown in the gratuitous add in "G&A".

Was commented that this change happened because the curved "well" area under the cheek piece could become hooked on things. Also, had to do with extending the cheek rest as some complained they wanted it further back.

One of the guys who handled the gen 2 was saying that he liked the change, because "Now my cheek isn't getting scraped on the lip when I move."

ETA - So people can compare.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
FUGLY.

Not on my list of desired toys.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Everytime I see a pic of the SCAR my eyes automatically go to the stock. I really don't care for it at all but for all I know it could turn out be the best stock design ever made.  Just weird looking IMO. I probably shouldn't form opinions without handling something first though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#8]
The -H gives me a fucking -hardon.  Ugly is as ugly does, and I bet that thing handles beautifully, ergonomically speaking.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
just spoke to a contact from FN ...very weird I was under the impression that the rifle would be modular in civilian sales...the answer I got was no...initial sales would be .223 and 762x51 only, well at first and if there was enough demand that later there may be 6.8(for the Light) and 762x39(for the Heavy).....this bites...and also why would 762x39 be used in the Heavy? it seems that all manufacturers making modular rifles and doing 223 762x39 and 6.8 out of the same rifle......the rep told me if enough people called and wrote they would do it...so guys get on the emails and get on the phones
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#10]
The SCAR is the only rifle on the market right now that I am really excited about.  

I will have one once available.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#11]
nice! Ill take one in black please.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I want a L and a H please.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I still don't know why the military likes that anodizing. I bet when the moonlight hits that it shines like the damn north star through night vision.

At first it was rumored to be an anodizing issue, but it seems that people are sticking with it now.

Aside from that, glad to hear that SOCOM finally decided on a final configuration. This means civilian production could be alot sooner than the late 2007 estimates some have quoted.

The optic is the new Elcan. There's a topic about it in the optics section, but unfortunately I don't have the time to dig it up.

It's either the Elcan SpecterRD (Red Dot) or the Specter OS (Optical Sight). Here's a link. They're the two at the bottom and the OS looks pretty freaking sweet if you ask me. Click >HERE<

Link Posted: 6/27/2006 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I still don't know why the military likes that anodizing. I bet when the moonlight hits that it shines like the damn north star through night vision.

At first it was rumored to be an anodizing issue, but it seems that people are sticking with it now.

Aside from that, glad to hear that SOCOM finally decided on a final configuration. This means civilian production could be alot sooner than the late 2007 estimates some have quoted.

The optic is the new Elcan. There's a topic about it in the optics section, but unfortunately I don't have the time to dig it up.

It's either the Elcan SpecterRD (Red Dot) or the Specter OS (Optical Sight). Here's a link. They're the two at the bottom and the OS looks pretty freaking sweet if you ask me. Click >HERE<

www.armament.com/SpecterRD_Red_Dot_Sight.jpg
www.armament.com/SpecterOS_3_Optical_Sight.jpg

What strikes me is how far of an offset (Optic - Barrel) there is. As seen in the pictures, low mounting won't allow for BUIS, so were looking at... what, a 1 to 2 inch offset for optics? Someone with more info than I might chime in, tell me if this is good or bad.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 2:04:35 PM EDT
[#15]
While there's more offset than I'd like, it realy isn't all that bad.

However, I am discouraged by how high the iron sights sit. I'd much rather have a rail that extends past the gas block with no BUIS built in so I could have the Dissipator effect with some Troy sights. Seeing as FN was smart enough to use a hooded front sight, I atleast have to give them props for that though. In my opinion, about the only thing worse than a bladed front sight set up is a bead front sight. All ghost ring sights should have a hooded front.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I think the reasoning for putting the 7.62x39 into the heavy is because you can put in a magazine block and insert AK mags. That would make it worth it to me, the prospect of battlefeild pickup is very appealing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
www.armament.com/SpecterRD_Red_Dot_Sight.jpg
www.armament.com/SpecterOS_3_Optical_Sight.jpg

The optic is the new Aimpoint currently in use by the Swedish military. It is part of the attempt at modernizing the FFV/Saab/Bofors AK5, and details can be found on page 15 of this PDF:www.dtic.mil/ndia/2006smallarms/arvidsson2.pdf
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Please ship to my dealer in Oregon. RFN please.

Oh, and the term for the stock, "baby shoe".

Ugly, but I want it so bad.

It looks like the first -H pics have a special flash hider to accept suppressors. The barrel will most likely be too thin and not enough shoulder to support muzzle threaded suppressors.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was commented that this change happened because the curved "well" area under the cheek piece could become hooked on things. Also, had to do with extending the cheek rest as some complained they wanted it further back.

One of the guys who handled the gen 2 was saying that he liked the change, because "Now my cheek isn't getting scraped on the lip when I move."

img401.imageshack.us/img401/238/img01794mw.jpg

Damn.  Too bad they didn't just round the edges to smooth it out.  I like the flat level extending all the way back.  The gen 3 looks like it has less usable cheek purchase towards the back.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#20]
nope was told that they will have there own mags....so using AK mags is out(I suppose) but if we bomb them with emails and calls they WILL listen  the rep told me....we want to hear from the consumers and when we do all is fair game
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Please ship to my dealer in my state. RFN please.

Sleight change.

Think you just quoted 90% of the board.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I think that optic is the aimpoint swede model not a specter, though hot DANG that woul dmake a good combo!

I think - uneducated, unifnormed, just from teh specs and articles I've read- that this will make a FIIIINE rifle and given enough play on teh US commercial market will be a fine AR replacement eventually.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Damn.  Too bad they didn't just round the edges to smooth it out.  I like the flat level extending all the way back.  The gen 3 looks like it has less usable cheek purchase towards the back.

Shouldn't be to big a thing. Looks like the cheek piece is held in place with a bolt. If it hits the civilian market, drop some change, then just swap it out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
just spoke to a contact from FN ...very weird I was under the impression that the rifle would be modular in civilian sales...the answer I got was no...initial sales would be .223 and 762x51 only, well at first and if there was enough demand that later there may be 6.8(for the Light) and 762x39(for the Heavy).....this bites...and also why would 762x39 be used in the Heavy? it seems that all manufacturers making modular rifles and doing 223 762x39 and 6.8 out of the same rifle......the rep told me if enough people called and wrote they would do it...so guys get on the emails and get on the phones

Wager to guess that the -L could be modular between the 5.56 & 7.62 by swapping bbl. & bolt; mag might be usable for both if the follower were changed.  The -H would need to use a different lower to accomodate a different mag between 7.62x39 & 7.62x51, & bbl. & bolt swap for the upper.  Thus, given the magazine & lower receiver issues related to caliber modularity, the -L seems a better candidate for caliber swapping than the -H.  Too bad the SCAR rfp specs didn't require a modular mag. well for the design.

And I still prefer the gen-2 cheek piece.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll take an H please.  Any color really...thats what duracoat is for...
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#26]
That gold upper sucketh.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm curious.. Okay, not really curious, but is the Army really that damn stupid to order the rifle in DESERT TAN? What happens when one of those is issued in the Jungle or Woodlands (like.. anywhere but the middle east?!)? Oh, right, we're in the sandpit NOW. Sorry for thinking such lunacy...

Link Posted: 6/28/2006 2:43:15 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm curious.. Okay, not really curious, but is the Army really that damn stupid to order the rifle in DESERT TAN? What happens when one of those is issued in the Jungle or Woodlands (like.. anywhere but the middle east?!)? Oh, right, we're in the sandpit NOW. Sorry for thinking such lunacy...

hinking.gif

I assume they would just paint it, or dye it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 2:58:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Tests at Ft. Lewis and Ft. Bragg a few years ago confirmed that brown and tan are better colors - soldiers, after all, are 'close to the earth.'  Think dirt, mud, tree trunks, etc.
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 3:06:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Besides the camo application, the tan/light brown is a great advantage when the rifle is in the sun.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 6:23:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Everytime I see a pic of the SCAR my eyes automatically go to the stock. I really don't care for it at all but for all I know it could turn out be the best stock design ever made.  Just weird looking IMO. I probably shouldn't form opinions without handling something first though.

Silas, you sir are the smartest man to post in the Armory GD in the last 6 months.

Your statment should be at the top of the Armory GD forum in 40' high lettering.

Link Posted: 6/28/2006 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#32]
One "L" and two "H"'s for me.

Anyone know when these will hit the Civilian Market? I have heard anywhere from early 2007 to 3 years!

Link Posted: 6/28/2006 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shouldn't be to big a thing. Looks like the cheek piece is held in place with a bolt. If it hits the civilian market, drop some change, then just swap it out.

Assuming I could get my hands on a gen 2-style cheekpiece, let alone the SCAR, that would work.
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I am strangely drawn to this gun.  Still want a tavor though!
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I am strangely drawn to this gun.  Still want a tavor though!

I finally get to type it:

Get both! (If they both actually hit the market, that is.)
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe the cheekpiece is ADJUSTABLE.
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
All credit goes to PointBlank. I don't have any insider knowledge. Merely posting what I found as it was presented.

I'm missing my para Fal, I can't wait to see how this thing turns out.
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Maybe I am the only one thats interested in the EGLM but if anyone else is you should email them.  I emailed them and they said it wouldn't be available to civilians because its a destructive device.  So i emailed them back and told them that DDs are legal if registered and that LMT sells their M203 to civilians but they never emailed me back.  I'd like to have one just to shoot practice rounds and to fondle but I guess i'll have to settle for the LMT.
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Assuming the BUIS are at the correct height, that optic is mounted too low.

The anodizing should match the lower, I bet production units will. At any rate, nothing a quick blast of krylon can't fix.
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Ajaka, do you have a link to the original posting of this information?
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#42]
i really like the shorter barreled H model, but i'm not too keen on the look of the stock. i agree with the above post that you shouldn't form an opinion until you handle it, but it would be nice if there were more options for the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

What he said.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Ajaka, do you have a link to the original posting of this information?

Someone posted this on a private Usenet group.
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#45]
One of each please.

Max
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#46]
So, anyone have a guess when the civvie models will come out?
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
So, anyone have a guess when the civvie models will come out?

Been talk about shot show 2007 and FN representatives said early on around this date.

Lately, some who have spoken with FN said 2008... if even then.
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe the cheekpiece is ADJUSTABLE.

While it is adjustable for height at the front, the height level of the pivoting end of the cheekpiece remains fairly constant.  I'd prefer an AR-style flat-sloped cheekpiece as demonstrated on the gen-2 version...but that's just me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
The -H gives me a fucking -hardon.  Ugly is as ugly does, and I bet that thing handles beautifully, ergonomically speaking.

Actually, I spoke with someone who has experience with it and he says the ergonomics are shit; not designed by actual end-users, despite FN's claim to the contrary.

I hope to find out for myself soon enough.
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I spoke with someone who has experience with it and he says the ergonomics are shit; not designed by actual end-users, despite FN's claim to the contrary.

I hope to find out for myself soon enough.

Who?  Just curious...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top