Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2007 4:18:01 PM EDT
For ~$1250, the Sig 556 looks like a heck of a deal for a piston driven rifle.

However, it's absolutely ugly as sin.  Has anyone successfully modified their American Sig 556 rifles to be less ugly?
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean made it direct impingement so it looks like an AR15.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
You could paint it!  Yeah.. paint it pink... then it wouldn't be an ugly black rifle anymore...
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 5:46:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

However, it's absolutely ugly as sin.  Has anyone successfully modified their American Sig 556 rifles to be less ugly?

Only the ones that completely replaced the 556 aluminum ugly AR ass lower with an original 550 lower and stock.
Everyone else likes to think they did by switching stocks and handguards, ..but they didn't, their rifles are still ugly as sin.

No matter what a guy does the current 556 lower regardless of function makes a once beautiful rifle into a deformed retarded offspring of the 550/551 series.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]
No.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 5:49:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you put an Ace folder on the sig 556?  Anyone tried that?
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No matter what a guy does the current 556 lower regardless of function makes a once beautiful rifle into a deformed retarded offspring of the goddess 550/551 series.

Fixed it for ya!  
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I think it looks fine now.

I think it will look even better with the Aurora sights.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#8]
The 556 is the illegitimate offspring of a AR15 raped by a SIG550. It is fugly.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Sell it and buy the 550 on GB.com for $8500.  I wish I could.

Link Posted: 11/3/2007 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe the 556 Commando will be the shiznit that we all want..........
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#11]
The 556 is a steal and a bit fugly completely stock.  Here are modded ones I've worked up.  They shoot incredibly well...

Link Posted: 11/3/2007 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only the ones that completely replaced the 556 aluminum ugly AR ass lower with an original 550 lower and stock.
Everyone else likes to think they did by switching stocks and handguards, ..but they didn't, their rifles are still ugly as sin.

No matter what a guy does the current 556 lower regardless of function makes a once beautiful rifle into a deformed retarded offspring of the 550/551 series.

LOL!  Swapping the lower was the best change they made from the rock-in mags of the original 55X series.  The furniture seems to be the only valid gripe as it is a little ugly and many would prefer the 55X folding stock.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The 556 is a steal and a bit fugly completely stock.  Here are modded ones I've worked up.  They shoot incredibly well...

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3241/medium/Image335.jpg
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3241/556v551-5.gif
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3241/medium/Image332.jpg
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3241/556v551-3.gif

what sight is that isn't an EOTech?
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL!  Swapping the lower was the best change they made from the rock-in mags of the original 55X series.  The furniture seems to be the only valid gripe as it is a little ugly and many would prefer the 55X folding stock.

LOL is right. I'm happy you like the 556 and it's lower Accomplice1. I mean if you own one or more than one I'd hope you'd like it but you're in the minority from what I see and personally I like a ambi centered paddle mag release with rock in mags more than any drop free push button. Dropping mags on the ground is just stupid to me (no offense) as is the walking out in the open moving to contact training I see some guys doing where dropping mags seems to be required to them.

To me anyone doing that in combat though I do appreciate, as long as their not on my side because they're not going to live long.
Being behind cover changing a mag is where they should be and training for it, putting the used one in a pouch to have for later and the paddle release and rock in is excellent for that and I can change a mag extremely fast by it.
It's one of the reasons the M14's ergo's are much better to me than an AR (besides the rifle in general) and I'd take an M14 over an AR anyday, but I'd take 7.62x51mm over 5.56x45mm anyday also.
That doesn't mean a real 551 would still be in my hands also unless I was specifically going into a situation I knew would be primarily tight indoor spaces most of the time. (different tools for different jobs)
People here talk all the time like their personal preferences are just general for everyone, but people are different, ergo's are personal taste and we have different requirements to suit our needs and tactics.

I do think taking AR mags is a good idea on the 556. Not because of the release or dropping free though, just because there so common with so many AR's as there are and that alot of newer designs are using them also. Basically that's only for commonality to me.

A little LOP adjustment is nice but "SIG GONE SOUR" could have easily done that by making a new LOP adjustable stock even though the 550's stock is actually an extremely nice fitting and feeling stock to me and I'd rather have it than an AR stock.
I don't see any advantage in the aluminum lower myself unless their just too stupid at SIG to design the steel lower to take AR mags, because the weight savings is nothing to bark about and throws the balance off now which is much more important than that pound. If a guy can't handle even a 10lb rifle well too than he's one seriously weak joker that I wouldn't want to go into a fight with on my side anyways and an original 551 is only 7.7lbs.

All those 556's in the pics above are still just ugly as hell to me and I sadly feel the once great rifle design is severely tarnished by what SIG Sauer did to it and even though I love the 550/551's for a 5.56 rifle I just can't bring myself to buy one of those ugly bastards regardless of how I like the operating system.

I just hope someone there at SIG has some actual brains and makes a better version.
At this point I really don't even care if they don't use AR mags as long as the mags are quality, reasonably priced and widely available.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
LOL is right. I'm happy you like the 556 and it's lower Accomplice1. I mean if you own one or more than one I'd hope you'd like it but you're in the minority from what I see...

Yeah... SIG has got a real lemon on their hands... 7500+ rifles... sold to date... and dealers still have a 6 month wait to get rifles in stock...  poor ol' SIG... they really screwed the pooch on this one...  thats for sure!
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
LOL is right. I'm happy you like the 556 and it's lower Accomplice1. I mean if you own one or more than one I'd hope you'd like it but you're in the minority from what I see...

Yeah... SIG has got a real lemon on their hands... 7500+ rifles... sold to date... and dealers still have a 6 month wait to get rifles in stock...  poor ol' SIG... they really screwed the pooch on this one...  thats for sure!

So I'm sure you've got some proof to that right since I see all those 556 rifles going nowhere on Gunbroker and ones on shelves at shops and shows nobody seems to want?

LOL, SIG does have a real lemon on their hands as far as I'm concerned and see from alot of people here at the ARF besides you few 556 lovers.

The 556 is a big disappointment to me and quite few others from what I can see regardless of how you seemingly few want to make it out as a gem instead of the ugly ass retard it is.
I am glad you guys like it though. I really am as atleast someone's happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
LOL, SIG does have a real lemon on their hands as far as I'm concerned and see from alot of people here at the ARF besides you few 556 lovers.

Yeah... you and few other commandos don't like the 556... we get it already.  Tell ya what...  why don't ya start an ARF poll!  oh boy... that will ready show SIG how bad they are screwing the ol' pooch!  Oh yeah... nothing like an ARF poll to show ol' SIG just how wrong they are!  That will teach them to sell 7500 rifles... double what they anticipated... yes sir... a poll..        
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I played with one today at the Local Gander Mountain. (They've had at least two through there.)

I thought the balance was a bit forward, which probably aids shot to shot recovery.

Anyway, the only thing I didn't really like was how far forward the mag release was. Not a big deal to me as a lefty. I use my right hand to activate it anyway. I can also retain the magazine that way.

Won't buy it though. I got too much crap anyway.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I do think the 556 is ugly, but that's not what keeps me away from it-  They need to fix the cheap furniture, give it a full length rail, and do the folding stock off the 550 series guns.  These things seem to all be in the pipeline, so I think I may be picking one up.  

I do wish they were cheaper, but they weren't developed 40 years ago, and aren't manufactured by untold hundreds of other companies like AR's are these days, so it's hard to make a comparison.  

People have done back to back comparisons between the AR, 556, and XCR on these boards and shown the 556 to be accurate, which is what rifles are supposed to be.  I do think the XCR feels like a better-built weapon, but that's subjective.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah... you and few other commandos don't like the 556... we get it already.  Tell ya what...  why don't ya start an ARF poll!  oh boy... that will ready show SIG how bad they are screwing the ol' pooch!  Oh yeah... nothing like an ARF poll to show ol' SIG just how wrong they are!  That will teach them to sell 7500 rifles... double what they anticipated... yes sir... a poll..        

LOL, ok a poll sounds fun.

Here it is,

How do you feel about the Sig 556 poll.....
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#21]
happy with mines but will be getting a Masada too.

Shoots great and it has no issues with gas crap.....with my can on it.

Link Posted: 11/4/2007 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Boy... your really going to show ol' SIG now!  That will teach em... that's for sure!  A poll on ARF... wow... now SIG is playin with the big boys...
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Why yes you can..............

Link Posted: 11/4/2007 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#24]
How did you do that to a 556?
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#25]
if you dont mind me asking, how much was that original lower
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boy... your really going to show ol' SIG now!  That will teach em... that's for sure!  A poll on ARF... wow... now SIG is playin with the big boys...

You wanted a poll, there you got a poll.

Like it matters. It's just for fun.
It doesn't really make a damn single bit of difference whether I think the 556 is an ugly ass fuck up which I see it as or you love it. I mean seriously what do I give a shit how you see it besides a little fun firearms discussion and what do you give a shit how I see it. You've got a 556 you like, good for you.

All that really matters is what it is to the individual and to me the 556 sucks as it is.
It's too bad as far as I'm concerned because in the mess of Ar's, FS2000's, Masada's, Scar's and other 5.56 rifles out there or coming out a 551 is still what I'd prefer most.

If it has some mods to it like a new, designed for it, LOP adjusting stock and is modded to take AR mags while still maintaining that beautiful steel lower than great, if not I'd still rather have a straight 551 than anything else.

Right now it looks like for me I'm just going to stick with M14/M1A's which are the best damn steel rifle out there to me and for me that I'd rather put my money into.

If Sig gets around to putting together a nice version of 556 closer to the 551 or 550 for that matter, than I'll probably buy one. If I can find an affordable route at the time I'm ready to invest in another 5.56 rifle to set up a original 550 lower on a 556 upper, I might consider that too but that's a pain in the ass and still doesn't change Sig's stupidity in the 556 and that I shouldn't have to mod the shit out a 556 just to make it a rifle I'd want to have around.
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#27]
wasnt there a post on here a few months back taking about a domestic manufacture making original style lowers for the 556?

what ever happend to that,  if that would happen i dont see it costing more then a DSA para folder
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
wasnt there a post on here a few months back taking about a domestic manufacture making original style lowers for the 556?

what ever happend to that,  if that would happen i dont see it costing more then a DSA para folder

I think that was just talk and nothing more to it. If it came about there might be some more light at the end of the tunnel for quite a few people though, me included.
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

LOL is right. I'm happy you like the 556 and it's lower Accomplice1. I mean if you own one or more than one I'd hope you'd like it but you're in the minority from what I see and personally I like a ambi centered paddle mag release with rock in mags more than any drop free push button. Dropping mags on the ground is just stupid to me (no offense) as is the walking out in the open moving to contact training I see some guys doing where dropping mags seems to be required to them.

To me anyone doing that in combat though I do appreciate, as long as their not on my side because they're not going to live long.
Being behind cover changing a mag is where they should be and training for it, putting the used one in a pouch to have for later and the paddle release and rock in is excellent for that and I can change a mag extremely fast by it.
It's one of the reasons the M14's ergo's are much better to me than an AR (besides the rifle in general) and I'd take an M14 over an AR anyday, but I'd take 7.62x51mm over 5.56x45mm anyday also.
That doesn't mean a real 551 would still be in my hands also unless I was specifically going into a situation I knew would be primarily tight indoor spaces most of the time. (different tools for different jobs)
People here talk all the time like their personal preferences are just general for everyone, but people are different, ergo's are personal taste and we have different requirements to suit our needs and tactics.

I do think taking AR mags is a good idea on the 556. Not because of the release or dropping free though, just because there so common with so many AR's as there are and that alot of newer designs are using them also. Basically that's only for commonality to me.

A little LOP adjustment is nice but "SIG GONE SOUR" could have easily done that by making a new LOP adjustable stock even though the 550's stock is actually an extremely nice fitting and feeling stock to me and I'd rather have it than an AR stock.
I don't see any advantage in the aluminum lower myself unless their just too stupid at SIG to design the steel lower to take AR mags, because the weight savings is nothing to bark about and throws the balance off now which is much more important than that pound. If a guy can't handle even a 10lb rifle well too than he's one seriously weak joker that I wouldn't want to go into a fight with on my side anyways and an original 551 is only 7.7lbs.

All those 556's in the pics above are still just ugly as hell to me and I sadly feel the once great rifle design is severely tarnished by what SIG Sauer did to it and even though I love the 550/551's for a 5.56 rifle I just can't bring myself to buy one of those ugly bastards regardless of how I like the operating system.

I just hope someone there at SIG has some actual brains and makes a better version.
At this point I really don't even care if they don't use AR mags as long as the mags are quality, reasonably priced and widely available.

Yeah, looks are subjective for sure.  But these things are tools and I think people forget that sometimes.  As a tool it is pretty much untouchable in its price range.  I don't care about the drop free aspect of the magwell so much as the increased speed of mag changes over the rock-in mag 55X series.  That original series looks cooler and some think it is made to a higher standard of fit / finish but the 556 is a step on in all practical ways.  If you collect guns based on their looks vs. their function, I totally understand your view on the 556.
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
How did you do that to a 556?

By swapping out a Swiss lower and handguard set and adding an Aimpoint ML3 in LaRue RAS2 mount.

Quoted:
if you dont mind me asking, how much was that original lower

I paid $2300 for a CCF 551-1SP LB kit from Larry Gaglio about three years ago. The lower came from this kit.
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#31]
hmmm, in your opinion was it worth it?  i am considering doing the same, but really dont know if i feal it is worth it.

i can afford it, and i think it does look better, but outside of balancing better, i dont really see a gain in performence,  

Link Posted: 11/4/2007 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#32]
hasnt anyone just made their own swiss looking replacement stock?
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
hmmm, in your opinion was it worth it?  i am considering doing the same, but really dont know if i feal it is worth it.

i can afford it, and i think it does look better, but outside of balancing better, i dont really see a gain in performence,  

Yes, it is absolutely worth it. Not so much about a gain in performance as it is making it into the rifle I want it to be.  The Swiss lower looks and feels much better.  I like the folding mechanism. I like the translucent Swiss mags in spite of the fact that they are rock-in.  Actually, I can very easily actuate the mag release lever with my trigger finger.  

Adding the Swiss lower, forearm, and Aimpoint makes the 556 almost what it should have been in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, looks are subjective for sure.  But these things are tools and I think people forget that sometimes.  As a tool it is pretty much untouchable in its price range.  I don't care about the drop free aspect of the magwell so much as the increased speed of mag changes over the rock-in mag 55X series.  That original series looks cooler and some think it is made to a higher standard of fit / finish but the 556 is a step on in all practical ways.  If you collect guns based on their looks vs. their function, I totally understand your view on the 556.

If you seriously think I care only about looks your really not even reading my posts and the full reasons I don't like the 556.
You still seem to come back to that idea everytime though which leads me to want to stop wasting time explaining anymore.
I do like a good looking gun, don't get me wrong but the 556 lower design in complete is what I don't like mainly compared to what was designed from the start and the 556 could have been that it isn't.
It just so happens that the 556's are extremely ugly too.
I think I've had just about enough discussion on it for now though.

Cheers,
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#35]
wow - those 550 handguards look really nice on the 556.  Where did you dudes get them from?

I for one am getting tired of all the 223 rifles.  I wish more companies would go to 762x39 and 308.  The rifle I'm REALLY looking fwd to is the KelTec bullpup 308 - now that will be AWESOME!
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I'd buy one.  Then, I'd buy a 556.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3241/medium/Image335.jpg
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3241/556v551-5.gif
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3241/medium/Image332.jpg
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//3241/556v551-3.gif

Any chance I can get a list of parts used in the folding stock build, it's freaking awesome!
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:47:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The rifle as is in stock form is ugly for sure, and it's soley due to the stock and handguards. Obviously, the 556 lower is only ugly to you because you are one of the many who is pissed the rifle isn't a complete exact copy of the original swiss rifle.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The rifle as is in stock form is ugly for sure, and it's soley due to the stock and handguards. Obviously, the 556 lower is only ugly to you because you are one of the many who is pissed the rifle isn't a complete exact copy of the original swiss rifle.

Don't assume you know me. This is Arfcom though and I've just come to expect this kind of shit these days. This thread was connected to other threads at the time too with posts of opinion and info conjoined going off one another.

The rifle is ugly because it is.
I don't need an exact copy either, but most of what SIG Sauer did to the 556 changing it from the original design does suck to me, but mainly because I'm concerned about what is better and the aluminum lower from the original steel with it's better paddle release, the taking away a great feeling and fitting stock and not improving on it to replace it with a stock that isn't as much and is from a whole another rifle design that actually needs the buffer tube where the 556 doesn't is what's not better.

In the end I'm disappointed and simply won't be buying one as many people won't. If you like it, good for you. Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#40]
This isn't so "ugly" anymore:

USGI A1 stock, YHM A2 BUIS, Bushnell Trophy MP optic, and 551 HGs (originally OD green, I used RIT black to dye them).  

The HGs are not as "glossy" with the rifle in the hands.  They appear that way from the camera catching the light the way it did.

I actually prefer the lower using AR-style mags because that's one less type of mag to purchase and stock up on, since I already have a number of ARs.

Works for me; YMMV.

Noah
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
The rifle is ugly because it is.
I don't need an exact copy either, but most of what SIG Sauer did to the 556 changing it from the original design does suck to me, but mainly because I'm concerned about what is better and the aluminum lower from the original steel with it's better paddle release,  

LOL
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I can live with the lower, and AR mags no problem there.  If they would just offer handguards like/or similar to the originals, and a folding stock like/or similar to the original I'd buy one.  As it is, it's just too ugly for me.
'Course I used to think AUG's were ugly too, and now I have an AXR coming soon.........I hope.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#43]
This count.....

Just waiting to get the barrel back from shortening and having the 550 flash-hider attached.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
This count.....

Just waiting to get the barrel back from shortening and having the 550 flash-hider attached.

You are a bad, bad man.

Damn it!!!  Damn it to hell!!!  That is EXACTLY WHAT I WANT!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You are a bad, bad man.

Damn it!!!  Damn it to hell!!!  That is EXACTLY WHAT I WANT!!!!!

I aim to please!  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I aim to please!  

A few questions for you, then!!  

- total investment to date?
- who installed the rear sight?
- who's doing the barrel work?
- where did you get the parts?

Enjoy that beauty!!!!  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Well, hard to answer because I traded some labor for parts.

I'd say I have less than $2K into it with all the accessories and all (even an original SIG case).

For the average Joe:
556: $1.3K
551 parts: $2.5K
Total Investment = $3.8K

Troy Sellars at InRange C2 did the welding for me (great guy, but I don't think he wants any more SIG work -- LOL).

The parts -- I have some friends/contacts in Europe who got some items for me, a guy in the Carribean got me the rail specs, and some stuff was bought off Sturm and Biggerhammer.  Just gotta put feelers out and work the sources.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I aim to please!  

Huh.  I figgered you to aim to kill, Josh.  

Seriously, VERY nice work on the 556/661 hybrid.  Congrats!

So how you been, counselor?

Noah
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I aim to please!  

Huh.  I figgered you to aim to kill, Josh.  

Seriously, VERY nice work on the 556/661 hybrid.  Congrats!

Noah

Well -- "Geneva" requires that I just wound people.  In this case -- I'm hopefully causing a jealous pain in some people's hearts.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Well -- "Geneva" Hague requires that I just wound people.  In this case -- I'm hopefully causing a jealous pain in some people's hearts.

All of your effects on target just got negated . . . Geneva refers to Prisoners of War and Combatants/Non-Combatants and protected places.  Hague treats weapons, proportionality, etc.

Would you mind sharing the price of the lower?  That's the big hang-up for most of us.  I've found one source in Europe, but the price wasn't much cheaper than what people are raping for them here in the USA.

Thanks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top