Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2007 1:56:34 PM EDT
I've got four or five pistols I'd like to eventually suppress, and I'm wondering about threaded barrels.  At an average price of $200 each, my other option is to have a machinist thread and build an extension for my existing barrels.  Would probably be much less expensive in the long run.  

Any pros or cons?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#1]
hello. whoa! you pay 200 each barrel for threading! you are getting ripped off bad! i pay 50 to 75 depending on the gun. what kind of adapter are you talking about?  kirk
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Try Tornado Technologies.  I haven't used them myself (yet), but folks here seem to like them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry.  I guess I wasn't too clear in my initial post.

What I am wondering is if there is an advantage to buying a separate, threaded barrel for a pistol, vs having the existing barrel threaded and an extender made.  In other words, do I go out and buy five threaded barrels at $200 ea, or have five existing barrels threaded for $75 ea, and then use extensions?  Was wondering if there are advantages either way besides price.  These are range whores, so I'm not overly concerned about preserving factory configs or anything like that, ie, I don't necessarily need to keep a factory barrel and buy a seperate threaded barrel, unless there is an advantage I'm missing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sorry.  I guess I wasn't too clear in my initial post.

What I am wondering is if there is an advantage to buying a separate, threaded barrel for a pistol, vs having the existing barrel threaded and an extender made.  In other words, do I go out and buy five threaded barrels at $200 ea, or have five existing barrels threaded for $75 ea, and then use extensions?  Was wondering if there are advantages either way besides price.  These are range whores, so I'm not overly concerned about preserving factory configs or anything like that, ie, I don't necessarily need to keep a factory barrel and buy a seperate threaded barrel, unless there is an advantage I'm missing.

Tell us what guns you have and we can help you.

Link Posted: 12/21/2007 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Sig P226R that I had done up by ADCO.  Functions great and I've no complaints.  I did have to put some lock tight on it as it was loose initially but that was a very small thing.

At $125 it was a far better option for me than paying the amount for a factory or custom barrel.  And certainly better than waiting months on end to get a barsto or Jarvis.

Turn around was literally less than a week.  I'll definetly be sending him my Browning High Power barrel when time permits.
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 7:22:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Initially looking at doing a 9mm Glock, a 9mm Sig, a Makarov, an XD40 and a USP 40.
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've got a Sig P226R that I had done up by ADCO.  Functions great and I've no complaints.  I did have to put some lock tight on it as it was loose initially but that was a very small thing.

At $125 it was a far better option for me than paying the amount for a factory or custom barrel.  And certainly better than waiting months on end to get a barsto or Jarvis.

Turn around was literally less than a week.  I'll definetly be sending him my Browning High Power barrel when time permits.

Did that include a thread protector?  I can't tell from ADCO's Web site.
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#8]
No they sell their thread protectors seperately.  It might be a good idea to see if any of the other companies doing this include one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I think it will be easy to find a decent threaded barrel for the glock, but not for the others except maybe the Makarov.
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 7:49:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No they sell their thread protectors seperately.  It might be a good idea to see if any of the other companies doing this include one.

The only company that I know of that includes a thread protector in the price of threading is Gemtech, though others may.  Gemtech seems expensive but once you add in the protector they're not too expensive.

From their site it looks like Tornado doesn't include one but can provide for $35 extra.
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks bigbore, I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#13]
After the speed and quality of what ADCO did on my Sig I wouldn't have any qualms about coughing up 12 bucks extra for one of their protectors.

ADCO-- I didn't see it on your sight but do you do threaded extensions for the diminutive Beretta 21A's? 1/2x28.

I'd just need to get the barrel off I expect.
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I just received my Springfield XD barrel back from ADCO.  I had it extended and threaded, and paid $12 for a knurled endcap.  I put some loctite on it and it is good to go. I did this after waiting 8 months for an EFK Firedragon barrel that was never delivered.

Send them to ADCO with confidence... they've threaded multiple other barrels for me.  Price is good and work quality and turnaround time is fantastic.

Link Posted: 12/23/2007 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone ever really even gotten one of EFK's barrels? I mean do they actually ever deliver a product?

I see posts like above quite a bit regarding their wait times. I myself tried to get a barrel from them a few years ago and all I ever got was the same shmuck on the phone telling me "We'll do a run of them in two weeks"  Fifty "two" weeks later I still hadn't seen a barrel and knew I never would.
Link Posted: 12/27/2007 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
Has anyone ever really even gotten one of EFK's barrels? I mean do they actually ever deliver a product?

I see posts like above quite a bit regarding their wait times. I myself tried to get a barrel from them a few years ago and all I ever got was the same shmuck on the phone telling me "We'll do a run of them in two weeks"  Fifty "two" weeks later I still hadn't seen a barrel and knew I never would.

I have had 2 barrels from efk it took maybe 3mo each
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm glad it worked out for you.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Initially looking at doing a 9mm Glock, a 9mm Sig, a Makarov, an XD40 and a USP 40.

As was mentioned, threaded Glock barrels are readily available and inexpensive. I got one for a Model 17 from Lone Wolf and am completely satisfied. That is the way I would go with that particular gun. Makarov barrels are available but I don't know about the quality and you have to have a barrel press to install the new barrel.
Something to consider if you are not in a hurry. Keep your eyes open on the Equipment Exchange and other on-line gun sale boards. I picked up a Glock 26 barrel and a Browning Hi-Power barrel (a Barsto) used at far less than new ones would have cost.

As was mentioned, I wouldn't get a custom barrel from somewhere like Barsto. I did that on my Glock 34. It took a LONG time to get. They gave me deadline after deadline and never met any of them. I took at least six months but probably closer to nine months. The barrel was supposed to be "drop-in" and it wasn't. I had to fit the barrel myself. AND, it was expensive as hell. I mean REALLY expensive. Any other option is better than this other than not doing it at all.
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#22]

If you go with a threaded extension on the factory barrel, do Locktite the adapter to the barrel, and do use antiseize on the threads that mount the suppressor.

A steel barrel extension in an aluminum end cap without antiseize = the extension stubbornly welded into the end cap. You go to unscrew the can and the adapter comes off the barrel along with the suppressor; use a wrench on the adapter, and the end cap comes off the suppressor.

Don't think you're the only one who had that problem. I didn't have the steel/aluminum issue but still had to use a wrench when it got stuck. The one thing I'd request from Steve if I have him do another barrel for me is to machine a couple of flats on the wide part of the extension so that you could put a wrench on there and not mar things up if something gets stuck. I've got some Rocksett on there now so it should be good to go. It is a really well made adapter and the turn around time was reasonable, I'd recommend Adco without any reservations.
Link Posted: 1/31/2008 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Does adco charge the same for a beretta 92 that just needs the threading and no extension?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top