Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 102
Posted: 5/15/2015 3:03:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BurtSaun1049]
I've been a big fan of these cans since I first saw one on a Mk 12 way back when. Haven't seen a thread dedicated to them, so thought I would create one! Anything you spy that is incorrect, let me know.

The Firearm Blog article on Allen Engineering written by our own @goloud

5.56 Cans
Ops Inc cans
Ops Inc Family pic courtesy of @The_Accuser. Top picture from right to left: M4S, M4M, Model 14th, 15th, 16th and 12th:

Ops Inc 3rd Model
1989 Panama (Paul Howe on far left)

Mid-90's in use by Delta (photos found by @10Point3)

1990-1991 Gulf War:

1992 joint training w/ SAS in Hereford

1993 Somalia

Possible 3rd model as used by Craig "Sawman" Sawyer (h/t to @Augee and @bigbore for detective work)

More recent photos of 3rd model (found by @MDStroup):

Original alignment collar (courtesy of Ron Allen (@k31user), owner of Allen Engineering and long-time maker of cans at Ops Inc)

Diameter: 1.5 inches
Length past muzzle: 5 inches
Overall length: 10 inches
Weight: 24 ounces
Construction: Fusion welded 300 series stainless steel
Endurance: Meets SOPMOD objective of 30,000 rounds under various firing schedules.
(Note: Currently these devices have surpassd 90,000 rounds operational use without failure)

M4-S

Caliber 5.56mm / .223 caliber
Length Past brake: 1 inch
Length past muzzle: 2.25 inches
Overall length: 4.5 inches
Weight: 11.2 ounces
(Note: Currently these devices have surpassd 90,000 rounds operational use without failure.)

M4-M MBS

@pistolpete's 12.5" upper with M4M

Length Past brake: 2.5 inches
Length past muzzle: 3.75 inches
Overall length: 6 inches
Weight: 14.6 ounces
(Note: Currently these devices have surpassd 90,000 rounds operational use without failure.)

12th Model SPR MBS 5.56
Mk 12s

Matt Axelson's with James Suh (RIP ) Mk 12 Mod 1

@Rogue4's

Mod Holland's (h/t to @Glass1, @18E3V, and @Nikiel09):

Length past brake: 5 inches
Length past muzzle: 6.25 inches
Overall length: 8.7/8 inches
Weight: 21 ounces
Endurance: Meets SOPMOD objective of 30,000 rounds under various firing schedules

14th Model CQB MBS

Length past brake: 3 inches
Length past muzzle: 4.25 inches
Overall length: 6.5 inches
Weight: 15.5 ounces

15th Model CQB MBS

15th model? In use by Canadian SOF

Length past brake: 3.5 inches
Length past muzzle: 4.75 inches
Overall length: 7 inches
Weight: 17 ounces
Endurance: Meets SOPMOD objective of 30,000 rounds under various firing schedules.

16th Model CQB MBS

@BookHound's 16th Model:

@pistolpete's 16th Model

Length past brake: 4 inches
Length past muzzle: 6.25 inches
Overall length: 8.5 inches
Weight: 19 ounces
Allen Engineering (AE) cans

AE22

Length: 8"
Weight: 20.1oz
Finish: Black Oxide
Lifetime Warranty

AEM5
@RTUtah's:

Length: 8 7/8"
Weight: 21oz
Lifetime Warranty

AEM4

Caliber: 5.56
Length: 8.5"
Weight: 20oz
Lifetime Warranty

AEM3

Length: 7"
Weight: 18.2oz
Lifetime Warranty

AEM2

Length: 6"
Weight: 15oz
Lifetime Warranty

Which AE can is roughly equivalent to an Ops Inc Can?
AE22 = Ops Inc 3rd model 5.56
AEM5 = Ops Inc 12th model SPR MBS
AEM4 = Ops Inc 16th Model CQB MBS
AEM3 = Ops Inc 15th Model CQB MBS
AEM2 = Ops Inc M4M
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks guys. I will be placing an order tonight or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:50:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARKAR] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigbore:

If it’s a concern, why not get one made by Ron himself?
View Quote

Can any of you tell me just how the hell I can? Everyone always suggests this but damned if anyone can tell me how. At this point, I’m just ready to get one. If they are made to blueprint and spec, what difference does it make? I’m not a purist so I’m ok with a clone as long as it’s built to the correct specifications. My Mk12 is a clone, after all.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ARKAR:

Can any of you tell me just how the hell I can? Everyone always suggests this but damned if anyone can tell me how. At this point, I’m just ready to get one. If they are made to blueprint and spec, what difference does it make? I’m not a purist so I’m ok with a clone as long as it’s built to the correct specifications. My Mk12 is a clone, after all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARKAR:

If it’s a concern, why not get one made by Ron himself?

https://adcofirearms.com/shop/manufacturer/allen-engineering/5-56-suppressors/aem5-suppressor/
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you, Cowbell.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anybody know if White Oaks SDM barrels are turned correctly for the AEM5 collar?
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bully13:
Does anybody know if White Oaks SDM barrels are turned correctly for the AEM5 collar?
View Quote

Their SPR barrels are set up for the collar.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:55:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bully13] [#8]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

View All Quotes

I'm aware,  asking about the SDM

Edit: got my hands on the barrel and can check
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I just want a mount for my M14.  Is that too much to ask?
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Man I’m right behind you in about April timeframe I’m ordering two!  An AEM5 and whatever the .30 cal version is for my 6mm Arc
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Ho Chi Minh what a great end to January after a really shitty month. AEM5 and OG M4 got approved in a three day span last week.

AEM5
Submitted: 02/02/23
Approved: 01/24/24
Duration: 357 days
OG M4
Submitted: 06/08/23
Approved: 01/26/24
Duration: 233 days
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:
Ho Chi Minh what a great end to January after a really shitty month. AEM5 and OG M4 got approved in a three day span last week.

AEM5
OG M4
View Quote

Hell yeah man! Can’t wait to see what you’ve got planned
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, my M4 was just approved.  Same rough submittal timeframe.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DackJaniels:

View All Quotes

AEM5
OG M4

Got a few ideas I'm kicking around! Got to chat with Ron for a while this morning. Now I just gotta nail it down and take measurements
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Someone is going to hate me for this

Is it feasible to get an ops-inc collar on a B&T APC223? This 12.something model is begging for a reflex suppressor.

https://kfarmory.com/shop/bt-apc223-12-pistol-223-rem-5-56-nato-black/

It looks like there is a tiny tiny step in front of the gas block, so i would need a collar that sits on front of the step instead of behind it. Someone said the barrel diameter is 0.644” between the shoulder and the step.

Feasible or pipe dream?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#16]

AEM5
OG M4
View Quote

good now go do a mag dump
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#17]

AEM5
OG M4
View Quote

Efile or paper submissions?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know of a 12" rail off hand that has an inside diameter to accept an AEM5?

Looks like Aero has a 12.7" one that works, and Midwest has one that is 12.68"

I'm using a 12.5" barrel so I was looking for something that was 11.5-12" to avoid covering the muzzle with the rail.

Anything out there that works? Also would love to see pictures of setups with the suppressor tucked under the rail a bit!

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Flyit14:
Anyone know of a 12" rail off hand that has an inside diameter to accept an AEM5?

Looks like Aero has a 12.7" one that works, and Midwest has one that is 12.68"

I'm using a 12.5" barrel so I was looking for something that was 11.5-12" to avoid covering the muzzle with the rail.

Anything out there that works? Also would love to see pictures of setups with the suppressor tucked under the rail a bit!

View Quote

PRI Gen 3 rifle length
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dblazevich:
Someone is going to hate me for this

Is it feasible to get an ops-inc collar on a B&T APC223? This 12.something model is begging for a reflex suppressor.

https://kfarmory.com/shop/bt-apc223-12-pistol-223-rem-5-56-nato-black/

It looks like there is a tiny tiny step in front of the gas block, so i would need a collar that sits on front of the step instead of behind it. Someone said the barrel diameter is 0.644” between the shoulder and the step.

Feasible or pipe dream?
View Quote

Otter Creek OTB
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:

Efile or paper submissions?
View Quote

@Nick_Adams Eforms through Capitol Armory
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Question for the hive mind:

Having both the Gordy M4 and AEM5, I'm wanting to open up one of them to live on a 7mm Rem Mag. I talked to Ron not long ago and he said there has been success with boring out for the 6mm family but advised against going full .30 caliber.

Question is either simple or stupid, haven't decided which: is the difference of 0.02" leaning towards the beneficial or detrimental side of 6mm family or 30 cal? By numbers it's closer to 6 but IS still above what the man himself said.

I'm awaiting a (not AE) 30 cal can to clear, so I may not do anything. Just can't leave shit alone
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Having both the Gordy M4 and AEM5, I'm wanting to open up one of them to live on a 7mm Rem Mag. I talked to Ron not long ago and he said there has been success with boring out for the 6mm family but advised against going full .30 caliber.

Question is either simple or stupid, haven't decided which: is the difference of 0.02" leaning towards the beneficial or detrimental side of 6mm family or 30 cal? By numbers it's closer to 6 but IS still above what the man himself said.

I'm awaiting a (not AE) 30 cal can to clear, so I may not do anything. Just can't leave shit alone
View Quote

TA is making .30cal AEM5s.

https://www.aesuppressors.com/product/aem5-30k-2/

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I definitely wouldn’t modify the Gordy M4 can, you will regret that in years to come.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#26]

That seems like an awful idea.  The 5.56 cans are amazing.  The .30 cans are big and heavy, but quiet which is the only reason people like me still use those antiques.   Making one small heavy and louder makes no sense.  I'll be interested to see if any sell.
View Quote

That was kinda my thought but I am curious about the performance of it on 300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, and 6.8 SPC. Pretty much any AR cartridge that is bigger than 5.56
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:42:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jarth] [#27]
Sort of related to "antique" 30 cal suppressors...

Forgive me if its been covered before, but this old article by Pat Rogers came up in another thread: M40A3 T&E Suppressor

I was curious if Ron or anyone else had more info on the OPS Inc submission (looks like the AEM5-30?). I'm also curious about how the M40A3 ended up with no suppressor... the article makes it seem like a sure thing.

All of the A3s will be suppressed. The bids are still out, but you would have to be already deaf not to know that the OPS Inc. is the best.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#29]

That seems like an awful idea.  The 5.56 cans are amazing.  The .30 cans are big and heavy, but quiet which is the only reason people like me still use those antiques.   Making one small heavy and louder makes no sense.  I'll be interested to see if any sell.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MK3110:

TA is making .30cal AEM5s.

https://www.aesuppressors.com/product/aem5-30k-2/

https://i.postimg.cc/JzHWrCnw/IMG-6071.jpg

Gordy clone in 300blk?
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

@CMCctx did Ron happen to say anything about boring out for 6.5? Or is 6mm the most he’s comfortable with?
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#31]

@CMCctx did Ron happen to say anything about boring out for 6.5? Or is 6mm the most he’s comfortable with?
View Quote

@DackJaniels I only asked about 30 cal specifically and - as I understood it - he said 6's (plural) so I assumed it was the whole family. I didn't ask for clarification because I figured if the man himself advised against my idea then it was clearly not meant to be
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#32]

@DackJaniels I only asked about 30 cal specifically and - as I understood it - he said 6's (plural) so I assumed it was the whole family. I didn't ask for clarification because I figured if the man himself advised against my idea then it was clearly not meant to be
View All Quotes

@k31user did I understand correctly that 6.5 was at and/or under the threshold?

Also, I haven't forgotten to send you measurements for those two collars. Work's got me under the gun and I am going to order a micrometer. I hoped someone in my neighborhood had a micrometer but they all have the same or similar dogshit digital calipers I do that give 5 different measurements for the same 5 measurements small differences but different all the same.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 3:07:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: harmaknee] [#33]
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 5kcstq:
I don't have decibel readings, but my AEM5-30 on my 18" SPR is very hearing safe.  I have nerve damage in both ears and am extremely sensitive to noise and shoot it without hearing protection.  I have vids of both the 300 and SPR with my AEM5-30

AEM5-30 SPR

AEM5-30 8" .300 blackout subsonic
View Quote

What barrel are you using on your 300 blk gun?
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#35]

@k31user did I understand correctly that 6.5 was at and/or under the threshold?

Also, I haven't forgotten to send you measurements for those two collars. Work's got me under the gun and I am going to order a micrometer. I hoped someone in my neighborhood had a micrometer but they all have the same or similar dogshit digital calipers I do that give 5 different measurements for the same 5 measurements small differences but different all the same.
View Quote

I picked up one of these and have been very happy with it:

https://a.co/d/afb8N3U

Couldn’t justify the cost difference with the Mitutoyo I normally buy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:33:43 AM EDT
[#36]
You can buy a cheap micrometer for around $15 on ebay.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By k31user:
You can buy a cheap micrometer for around $15 on ebay.
View Quote

Hi Ron, I sent you the measurements for my Gordon collar in a email dated: 2/1/25, subject Gordon collar, Garthe.

Thanks for your help and time, Jim
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 6:35:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTacticalCoyote] [#38]
(Snip)
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks good!

On a side note, does anyone have the dimensions of the barrel shoulder to thread on an M24A2 barrel for an original AE M24 can?  I had it at one time, and CAN NOT for the life of me find it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:05:33 AM EDT
[#40]

AEM5
OG M4
View Quote

Absolute bruh moment on both those approval times.

I'm currently waiting on two Form 3s to clear and a can I submitted in October. Absolutely a nightmare, these wait times are.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:45:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rothperson87] [#41]
Originally Posted By Aceecaus:
Looks good!

On a side note, does anyone have the dimensions of the barrel shoulder to thread on an M24A2 barrel for an original AE M24 can?  I had it at one time, and CAN NOT for the life of me find it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I’ve got this.

Speaking of M24A2s, I just got my stock in from HS Precision today. Last piece of the puzzle before it goes off to RWS for him to work his magic.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Very noice!

And many thanks for the schematic.  That's exactly what I need!
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

2 AEM5-30, M4, Ops 12th, AEM5.  Now I need an M24.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#44]
I've got two and am only using one.  It's NIB and on a F3...
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone foresee any issues running an AEM5 on a 1:12 19" barrel? I'm working on a Mk4 Mod 0 type build with a faux HEL suppressor collar using the AEM5.

Will the 1:12 stabilize rounds enough? Or should I use a 1:7 instead?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone foresee any issues running an AEM5 on a 1:12 19" barrel? I'm working on a Mk4 Mod 0 type build with a faux HEL suppressor collar using the AEM5.

Will the 1:12 stabilize rounds enough? Or should I use a 1:7 instead?

Thanks.
View Quote

That’ll depend entirely on your bullet.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By CowboyWubWub:

View Quote

Let’s say I only use 55gr in it. Just standard FMJ
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CowboyWubWub:

1:12 should be fine for 55gr, but I’d want a faster twist so you’re not restricted to only using lighter, low BC bullets.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Hahnson Brothers has 2 AEM5s in stock currently.  If anyone is looking.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top