Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
DA Sierra 5 Issues Thread (Page 1 of 43)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 43
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 6/28/2023 8:29:02 PM EDT
As the main thread about the Dead Air Sierra 5 seems to have gotten quite bloated and covers lots of different topics (has devolved into mud-slinging at times) I thought it may be helpful to have one that is focused only on input from owner's of this can who either have a cleared F4 and have used theirs, or have had conjugal visits with theirs while waiting for theirs to clear, and can give their experience with the known issues with this can, or lack thereof, whatever your case may be.  

If possible, it would be nice to keep this focused to just does your can appear good to go, or has it had issues?  If so, what are the issues, have you contacted DA, what have they done/are doing to fix it?

Also, if we could just focus on this instead of technical discussions (tone, decibel levels, back-pressure, etc.) it might be helpful to people like myself (who have one of these in jail and don't have the ability to shoot it but am trying to decide how worried I should be while I wait) or people who are considering getting one.  I hope I'm not the only one who found the main thread tedious to sift through when looking for very specific info on these issues with this can.

Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:11:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KM6] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Does that cover all S5's that are flawed, or only the ones that have been RMAed back to DA? What they haven't bothered to do is address the matter at all, despite that being the stated reason for skipping the interview.

Has the root cause been isolated? Is there a known, associated production range (if any)? Do I have to use it to failure before returning it, or can I RMA it preemptively?
View Quote

The obvious answer to your first question is both. DA has addressed the S5 frequently in public and private channels over the course of last year. The obvious answer to your second question is yes. Third and fourth questions are answered with yes, SNs 0 to X or the point of acceptance and execution of the nonconformity solution, and either/or. Dead air's willingness to provide return authorization for a new S5 as well as their ability to fix a failed S5 are well documented at this point.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Took the S5 out on another rifle and still loving it.   Great amazing can with excellent sound and flash suppression.

I love the knurling with the Xeno setup, haven't had any issues with the can coming loose.   Have had no gas issues, but I put a PRI gasbuster on every host. Seems like countless people want to praise other brands as being better, so if my old PRI is amazing with the S5, then it has to be a great can.    

I'm very thankful for the excellent communication with Dead Air about some other questions I have had too.    I just love smaller "K" cans the S5 really fits the need.   It's great too knowing that there are no barrel restrictions too, so should I buy a (very) short barrel CMMG Dissent, I have a great can ready to throw on it thanks to the cobalt-steel baffles.  

My only complaint is that with a can this awesome, and absolutely the Sierra Five is incredible, I'd think I was done buying 5.56 cans.   Then Dead Air releases the Lazarus and I'm like time to start saving up money again!   The next generation of suppression has begun.   The paradigm has shifted and Dead Air is dominating.     I'm not into suppressor wraps, so I'm really digging the Lazurs's heat shied even if the suppressor already as cooling/ grip fins on the tube.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By zentradi:
Took the S5 out on another rifle and still loving it.   Great amazing can with excellent sound and flash suppression.

I love the knurling with the Xeno setup, haven't had any issues with the can coming loose.   Have had no gas issues, but I put a PRI gasbuster on every host. Seems like countless people want to praise other brands as being better, so if my old PRI is amazing with the S5, then it has to be a great can.    

I'm very thankful for the excellent communication with Dead Air about some other questions I have had too.    I just love smaller "K" cans the S5 really fits the need.   It's great too knowing that there are no barrel restrictions too, so should I buy a (very) short barrel CMMG Dissent, I have a great can ready to throw on it thanks to the cobalt-steel baffles.  

Curious, since I got no reply from them when I asked about RMAing mine.

The can iitself is not low pressure, & DA doesn't advertise it as such. This was confirmed by independent testers & reviewers also. The L6 adjustable back pressure device sounds impressive if it delivers as advertised.  Hope they make available as a stand alone accessory module later on, as I can see it benefitting the other cans in its lineup. Might even work on non Dead Air cans if the end cap threads match. Yes, the knurling is a nice touch.

My only complaint is that with a can this awesome, and absolutely the Sierra Five is incredible, I'd think I was done buying 5.56 cans.   Then Dead Air releases the Lazarus and I'm like time to start saving up money again!   The next generation of suppression has begun.   The paradigm has shifted and Dead Air is dominating.     I'm not into suppressor wraps, so I'm really digging the Lazurs's heat shied even if the suppressor already as cooling/ grip fins on the tube.

CGS was already 3D printing with Inconel & titanium last year. Silencerco also. And both released "flow" cans in the early part of last year.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#4]
^
I don't think the Lazarus device would benefit the older designs in terms of backpressure since it would take effect after the constrictive and fixed geometry of those suppressors has already manipulated the gas and weapon.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 6:13:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#5]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

I don't think the Lazarus device would benefit the older designs in terms of backpressure since it would take effect after the constrictive and fixed geometry of those suppressors has already manipulated the gas and weapon.
View Quote

Agree, but I've heard that the EBrake offers some level of back pressure reduction, so I was thinking maybe this might do more.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Agree, but I've heard that the EBrake offers some level of back pressure reduction, so I was thinking maybe this might do more.
View Quote

I guess if it is removing a lot of what used to be the front end cap, by having a larger hole, I could see it. Interested what it does with flash, the designer mentioned that it was considered in the design.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:
Stupid question for those that have done the RMA’s.

I have the RMA email printed off and the label. Do I have to include a copy of my ID and form 4 in the box?
View Quote

I included my approved forms, don’t remember if I sent copies of my license - it was a long time ago

Your RMA email should have the required docs listed
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#10]
You just ship it directly?
Or do you have to ship from a ffl?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By neight:
You just ship it directly?
Or do you have to ship from a ffl?
View Quote

You can ship it direct

Unless things changed, they’ll be sent to KGM’s facility in GA
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#12]
There's new rules for shipping suppressors by FedEx or UPS. I would contact DA and have them send you a label.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Toker_:
There's new rules for shipping suppressors by FedEx or UPS. I would contact DA and have them send you a label.
View Quote

How new?  Or the same as the last year or so?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:00:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: neight] [#15]
I imagine you need to take it to a corporate customer service location. Not a third party retail location.

FedEx? Hilarious, their location is about a mile from their shop.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:35:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Toker_] [#16]

They sent me my fedex label to ship it to KG. Just asking if they need my ID and form 4 to check it in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They sent me my fedex label to ship it to KG. Just asking if they need my ID and form 4 to check it in.

I don't know about DA, but I didn't have to send in a Form 4 or ID for an AAC recore. I had a self caused baffle strike a few years ago with my Omega 300 and I didn't have to send any other information in either.

Originally Posted By spot-remover:
How new?  Or the same as the last year or so?

Not sure, but it's on their site. Yes, they consider a silencer to be a firearm.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html

Shippers with a Federal Firearm License:
Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. Also, you must be an approved firearm shipper with a signed contract on file with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.

Nonlicensee shippers:
Nonlicensees are prohibited from shipping firearms with FedEx.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Jesus

Just ship the thing and tell ‘em it’s a dildo if they ask

Dead Air provided my shipping labels, I dropped them off at the local pack’n’ship place and they didn’t even ask what I was shipping
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 797hp:
Jesus

Just ship the thing and tell ‘em it’s a dildo if they ask

Dead Air provided my shipping labels, I dropped them off at the local pack’n’ship place and they didn’t even ask what I was shipping
View Quote

Which is going to be a problem if it's lost or damaged. Then the shipper is going to tell you to pound sand since you shipped against their policy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Which is going to be a problem if it's lost or damaged. Then the shipper is going to tell you to pound sand since you shipped against their policy.
View Quote

But Dead Air is the shipper if they provided the labels, are they not?
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Wrong

They’re going to tell Dead Air to pound sand

They issued the call tag

It’s on them, not me
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Some miscommunication going on. I was responding to the post thinking the shipment was going from the person directly, not using DA's label.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I just picked up my Sierra5 earlier this week (just under 6 month wait). I removed the front cap and KeyMo adapter to check the welds. Everything looked ok and no rattling, so hopefully that’s a good sign. Serial is in the 5xxxxx range.

I should  be able to put some rounds through it in the next week or so. Probably testing with both a 16” and 10.5” SBR
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#23]
It’s not going to rattle until you shoot it, and there is no way to know if you got a turd with just a visual inspection of the welds

My welds looked good too, so I thought
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Pennsilfaanisch:
I just picked up my Sierra5 earlier this week (just under 6 month wait). I removed the front cap and KeyMo adapter to check the welds. Everything looked ok and no rattling, so hopefully that’s a good sign. Serial is in the 5xxxxx range.

I should  be able to put some rounds through it in the next week or so. Probably testing with both a 16” and 10.5” SBR
View Quote

The “5” stands for Sierra 5. There’s no way they’ve made half a million Sierra 5’s.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#25]
The 5 is part of the serial number prefix

It’s SR5-XXXXX

The highest number I’ve seen posted online is in the 8000 range
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got mine out of NFA jail after just over 100 days. Celebrated by putting 110ish rounds through it. One full mag dump, everything else about 2 or 3 seconds between. Pretty good pace. No rattling, but some of the thread locker they used was weeping out. Was pretty hot. Here's hoping I got a decent one. Serial number in the SR55001xx range.

Also worth mentioning, something I saw in the TFB comments of their Lazarus 6 video. First actual acknowledgment I've seen from DA, albeit extremely unofficial. But I figured it was worth sharing here.

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Kicking the can down the road.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By vanquishings:
Just got mine out of NFA jail after just over 100 days. Celebrated by putting 110ish rounds through it. One full mag dump, everything else about 2 or 3 seconds between. Pretty good pace. No rattling, but some of the thread locker they used was weeping out. Was pretty hot. Here's hoping I got a decent one. Serial number in the SR55001xx range.

Also worth mentioning, something I saw in the TFB comments of their Lazarus 6 video. First actual acknowledgment I've seen from DA, albeit extremely unofficial. But I figured it was worth sharing here.

https://i.imgur.com/USHrXyL.jpeg
View Quote

I’m glad they have all the figures and are aware of the scope of the problem on their end, however the general silencer community has no way to know and are left with stories of 6 month waits with no communication as well as concern from current and potential DA customers of other product lines if there will be issues with warranty work.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Dudes at my SOT finally trashed the blast baffle on one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
Dudes at my SOT finally trashed the blast baffle on one.
View Quote

How many rounds?

Repaired can or original baffle stack?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:56:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Toker_] [#31]
Originally Posted By 11B3XCIB:
I’m glad they have all the figures and are aware of the scope of the problem on their end, however the general silencer community has no way to know and are left with stories of 6 month waits with no communication as well as concern from current and potential DA customers of other product lines if there will be issues with warranty work.
View Quote

That's a pathetic response from DA. If they know that the issue was caused by a bad vendor, then they should know what range of serial numbers were affected. If they don't know what serial numbers were produced by that vendor, then that's even worse.

They obviously think that only a small number were affected and hope that people just send them in when their can breaks. That leads to the question. If there was only a small number affected, then why not just say a small number were affected in an official statement? Unless it's not a small number at all.

It also doesn't explain the design change.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#32]
The design change carries more weight than their claims.

We wanted information but DA took the Hillary approach.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:16:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ngc1300] [#33]
Originally Posted By vanquishings:

https://i.imgur.com/USHrXyL.jpeg
View Quote
Dead Air is 100% out of touch.  It was a new product, that is a pain in the rear to buy and own.  A group of early adopters puts their trust in the company and a manufacturing defect arises.  Dead Air then thinks sending them your product and waiting 8 months for repair  with no communication is no big deal.

Dead Air refusing to admit there is a problem means they'd gladly do it again to their customers.  What a bunch of clowns.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 797hp:

How many rounds?

Repaired can or original baffle stack?
View Quote

Dunno. I know a happy switch was involved, and then the blast baffle disappeared. They’re not made of money, so I doubt it was some huge number that you’d expect to trash Stellite.  I’ll ask next time I go over there. Original stack.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ngc1300:
Dead Air refusing to admit there is a problem means they'd gladly do it again to their customers.  What a bunch of clowns.
View Quote
When/where did this refusal occur?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#37]

At the moment it happened and every moment since.

It’s not hard to post a recall. Not at all. Takes 5 seconds.
View Quote

Lol. What?  

You can’t just post “I didn’t say recall. I declared it.”  Lots of stuff, planning and considerations go into that. Not defending DA about anything regarding this but that statement is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:12:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Norinco982lover] [#38]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By KM6:
When/where did this refusal occur?
View Quote

Never happened.  

You are chasin' waterfalls arguing.  Objectivity was lost in this thread by many.  

The Sierra Five is an awesome compact 5.56 can with excellent flash suppression and is made with highly durable cobalt steel baffles.   Despite its excellent performance, the S5 will likely ultimately be remembered as a high-performing previous-generation suppressor as the world moves into next-generation suppressor designs like the Desd-Air Lazarus and the already-proven Mojave.

The only thing I can say bad about the S5 is that with the future closing quickly, the Sierra-Five may have had too short a season as a top can.   Until then, it's awesome.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Never happened.  

You are chasin' waterfalls arguing.  Objectivity was lost in this thread by many.  

The Sierra Five is an awesome compact 5.56 can with excellent flash suppression and is made with highly durable cobalt steel baffles.   Despite its excellent performance, the S5 will likely ultimately be remembered as a high-performing previous-generation suppressor as the world moves into next-generation suppressor designs like the Desd-Air Lazarus and the already-proven Mojave.

The only thing I can say bad about the S5 is that with the future closing quickly, the Sierra-Five may have had too short a season as a top can.   Until then, it's awesome.  

View Quote

It doesn't matter to me what the can does or doesn't do.  What does matter is what Dead Air could not or will not do.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Never happened.  

View Quote

Objectivity is, indeed lost. “Highly durable cobalt steel baffles” turned out to be not so durable for some people. Just like whenever you see a post about a launched can/stuck mount/crooked alignment rod, its usually an idiot-proof mounting system that can’t carbon lock, false lock, be misaligned, or other hypothetical benefits. Marketing and questionable or hypothetical benefits go hand-in-hand.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Objectivity is, indeed lost. “Highly durable cobalt steel baffles” turned out to be not so durable for some people. Just like whenever you see a post about a launched can/stuck mount/crooked alignment rod, its usually an idiot-proof mounting system that can’t carbon lock, false lock, be misaligned, or other hypothetical benefits. Marketing and questionable or hypothetical benefits go hand-in-hand.
View Quote

Some people just like the cool-aid my dude.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

This is 100% copium.  The s5 was never top of anything, unless you need a suppressor that turns into a maraca.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Objectivity is, indeed lost. “Highly durable cobalt steel baffles” turned out to be not so durable for some people.
View Quote

Cobalt steel- formerly known as Stellite.  Of course in this case, we have baffles formerly known as baffles.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Cobalt steel- formerly known as Stellite.  Of course in this case, we have baffles formerly known as baffles.
View All Quotes

After the break in period, they become one of the lightest 5.56 cans on the market.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#46]

This is 100% copium.  The s5 was never top of anything, unless you need a suppressor that turns into a maraca.
View All Quotes

Sycophantism is a thing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Never happened.  

View Quote

It would be appropriate to add a TM to the end the marketing sentences in your DA shill posts.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#48]
1900 replies and maybe 40 with actual useful information..
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Underaid702:
View Quote

I’m sure everyone is glad you came along to save this thread by contributing absolutely nothing.

No one is forcing you to read it, you are free to not click on it if it’s making you upset.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Underaid702:
View Quote

I wonder how many or how few pages this thread would be if even 1 of the 1900 posts came from actual Dead Air.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 43
DA Sierra 5 Issues Thread (Page 1 of 43)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top