Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2006 3:08:07 PM EDT
Official spec list - PDF

Videos

SCAR Light - 1

SCAR Light - 2

Videos show magazine dumps and fully automatic fire with a SCAR Light.

Army Times - Inside SCAR (Direct link to article video)

Army Times - Inside SCAR (Same as above, but on YouTube)

Shows prone shooting with the SCAR Light & Heavy. Breakdown of the SCAR Heavy; also has demonstration of the EGLM 40mm grenade launcher. Credit to wolver98.

FN Annual Training

Posted by CMMG. "Shooter's" view using the SCAR L & H. See the thread here.

Articles

Army Times - Inside SCAR Article

Pictures

FN SCAR Heavy (Mark 17) Generation 3 (Final)

FN SCAR Light (Mark 16) Generation 3 (Final) with the EGLM 40mm grenade launcher.

FN SCAR Heavy Generation 3 (Final) with buttstock folded.

Comments by Clint on the SCAR -

Weight and barrel lengths listed for the Heavy are incorrect. The correct barrel lengths are 13 inches for the CQC, 16 inches for the Standard (S), and 20 inches for the Long Barrel (LB; formerly the SV / Sniper Variant).

Weight for the SCAR Light with Standard (14 inch) barrel is 7.2 pounds, SCAR Heavy with Standard (16 inch) barrel is 7.9 pounds.

The SCAR has a free-floating barrel by design, and other items (2-stage trigger and role-specific barrel for example) to enhance weapon performance are in development. Not each and every SCAR will be used in the DMR / Sniper role, but the ones that are designed and outfitted for it should do nicely.

The two screws at the front do not contact the barrel, they only work to anchor the front portion of the lower rail to the receiver. The only area the barrel contacts the receiver is at the barrel extension, which is retained by the other four screws mentioned. That is, by my and other's definition, free floated.

In regard to heat - the heat from cartridge ignition migrates forward along the barrel starting at the chamber. Yes, there is some heat that is transferred to the receiver, as in all guns. I'm not going to wax scientific, but if you heat up a SCAR and an M4 with a free float aluminum handguard, without panels or vert. grip following the same firing schedule, they are both going to get: hot. I can't compare it to an MP 44 because I've never fired one, but is that truly an apples to apples comparison? Additionally, the polymer used in the SCAR is not a standard Nylon. And I'm not sure what is meant by "the entire upper housing is aluminum and is bare"...
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Myabe a great weapon for the Military, will probably fill a need.  But dayum it's not going to win any sort of beauty contest...

Pug Fugly...

Rifle is ugly too..  
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Was that a malfunction in the second video... looked like he pulled the trigger and nothing happened... and he pulls the mag and inspects...

The cyclic rate seems a ot slower than I would have thought. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Still ugly and bulky looking, but hey... if it makes the troops happier and more efective killers than rock on with the coolness
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Was that a malfunction in the second video... looked like he pulled the trigger and nothing happened... and he pulls the mag and inspects...

No malfunction - He drops the mag to the deck, and replaces it with a fresh one.

I would really like to know who took that video and how it found its way onto the internet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#4]
It wasnt a malfunction, rather the mag was empty and he hit the BHO and then pulled the trigger again. His mag was empty and he did not realize it.
Nice Video though, I wish the quality would be better. Are there any settings that you can change to get it at a  higher quality?
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I can not wait until they come out with civillian sales.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty cool.  The rifle looks like it might be a little on the heavy side compared to an M-16, but I wouldn't turn one down.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I would really like to know who took that video and how it found its way onto the internet.

A customer of ours has a cell phone that records video at about that quality. If it were a private range, I'd imagine you could figure out who took it with a little investigating.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#8]
My CC is already looking for some opiates to dull its future pain...
Link Posted: 9/21/2006 1:30:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My CC is already looking for some opiates to dull its future pain...

Don't start OD'ing just yet - it's not a sure thing unless/until it's sitting behind the counter.  Plus, the next federal cycle is here in a year & FN is talking 2 years out before it hits a dealer near you, at best.
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#10]
rifles will be ready by 07  well what rep has told me.....and hopefully a civilian version will be at shot show
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Update with new video and article from Army Times. Credit to wolver98.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I want that sight on top, the cylindrical one.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#13]
According to a post over at LF.net, there is no finalized version because issues like barrel length have yet to be determined.

Great videos though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]
One day...

(I used my leet Paint skills.)
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Everyone in the firearms industry R-E-A-L-L-Y needs to give up on trying to finish aluminum a tan color until its ACTUALLY a tan and not fucking G-O-L-D.

Jeezus thats rediculous looking.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Everyone in the firearms industry R-E-A-L-L-Y needs to give up on trying to finish aluminum a tan color until its ACTUALLY a tan and not fucking G-O-L-D.

Jeezus thats rediculous looking.

It seems like Troy Industries has it down pretty well.

EDIT:

Link Posted: 10/15/2006 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I want that sight on top, the cylindrical one.

& I'll take the gun it sits on.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 2:48:02 AM EDT
[#18]
"FNH" is a US company or a Belgian company
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 3:41:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
"FNH" is a US company or a Belgian company

Belgian, with manufacturing facilities in the USA.

Technically, I believe thay have a US subsidiary - FN-USA
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Hi,  Can anyone tell me how to play that Army Time-Scar video?  I downloaded & saved it to my computer & pressed play a few times but nothing show-up.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hi,  Can anyone tell me how to play that Army Time-Scar video?  I downloaded & saved it to my computer & pressed play a few times but nothing show-up.  Thanks

Gunner, I just clicked on the link above, and Microsoft Windows Media Player started it right up

Keep working on it, as it is a pretty decent clip
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Redfisher,  Man, I think my computer is different cause I use Window XP when I download the link it shown as Winamp file & MMD3 player.  I am still working on it!
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 12:28:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Redfisher,  Man, I think my computer is different cause I use Window XP when I download the link it shown as Winamp file & MMD3 player.  I am still working on it!

Winamp likes to "claim" certain file types. Try opening windows media player and opening the url from there?
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 1:31:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Hmm...

So, do we have to scrape the gas system on this one too (something else for folks to lose (which they will - we have 31 M249s and -0- scraper tools here), in the unlikely/unfortunate event they replace the M16 with it)?

FN makes good machineguns... They make a few 'interesting' products for civillian shooters & LE...

And they do a good job making M16s...

Personally, I want to see the '16 stay in service... Nothing better has been made to justify replacement...

(Ironic - for all the 'fossil' comments directed at the M14 and 1911 fan clubs, we may have 'M16 fossils' in my lifetime... Hmm... I just hope whatever gets the nod is not that, or anything that's been proposed so far)
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Hmm...

So, do we have to scrape the gas system on this one too (something else for folks to lose (which they will - we have 31 M249s and -0- scraper tools here), in the unlikely/unfortunate event they replace the M16 with it)?

FN makes good machineguns... They make a few 'interesting' products for civillian shooters & LE...

Personally, I want to see the '16 stay in service... Nothing better has been made to justify replacement...

(Ironic - for all the 'fossil' comments directed at the M14 and 1911 fan clubs, we may have 'M16 fossils' in my lifetime... Hmm... I just hope whatever gets the nod is not that, or anything that's been proposed so far)

[Dave_A]If it isn't an M16, then gawddamnit, it's a piece of shit & should never see the light of day.  PS - The M16 in general, & direct-impingement in particular are the most blessed things since manna from heaven.  gawddamnit!!!"[/Dave_A]

Not since the days of HFG/P-LW/etc, etc have I seen so much concerted effort to bash anything that isn't in line w/ one's own opinion.

I'm not of the opinion that everything the Army procures is top-tier - including what it keeps in the arms room.  The M16 benefits from the conservatism that is typical of the US military culture & politics.  Change comes slowly, & often with much resistance.  The best ideas aren't always accepted.  Even M16 historians should be able to appreciate this.

Considering the problems associated w/ heat build up in the M16 receiver under FA use, it's fair to say, the M16 probably won't outrun this thing.  And as for accuracy, according to some on this site who've actually been involved w/ it, the SCAR grouped 0.5" (L) & 0.7" (H) MOA.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Comments by Clint on the SCAR -

Weight and barrel lengths listed for the Heavy are incorrect. The correct barrel lengths are 13 inches for the CQC, 16 inches for the Standard (S), and 20 inches for the Long Barrel (LB; formerly the SV / Sniper Variant).

Weight for the SCAR Light with Standard (14 inch) barrel is 7.2 pounds, SCAR Heavy with Standard (16 inch) barrel is 7.9 pounds.

The SCAR has a free-floating barrel by design, and other items (2-stage trigger and role-specific barrel for example) to enhance weapon performance are in development. Not each and every SCAR will be used in the DMR / Sniper role, but the ones that are designed and outfitted for it should do nicely.

The two screws at the front do not contact the barrel, they only work to anchor the front portion of the lower rail to the receiver. The only area the barrel contacts the receiver is at the barrel extension, which is retained by the other four screws mentioned. That is, by my and other's definition, free floated.

In regard to heat - the heat from cartridge ignition migrates forward along the barrel starting at the chamber. Yes, there is some heat that is transferred to the receiver, as in all guns. I'm not going to wax scientific, but if you heat up a SCAR and an M4 with a free float aluminum handguard, without panels or vert. grip following the same firing schedule, they are both going to get: hot. I can't compare it to an MP 44 because I've never fired one, but is that truly an apples to apples comparison? Additionally, the polymer used in the SCAR is not a standard Nylon. And I'm not sure what is meant by "the entire upper housing is aluminum and is bare"...

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:28:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Just get them to us already FN, we are tried of waiting!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:38:12 AM EDT
[#28]
I just can't get past the bootstock, I mean the buttstock.  It looks like somebody's pegleg.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:50:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hmm...

[Dave_A]If it isn't an M16, then gawddamnit, it's a piece of shit & should never see the light of day.  PS - The M16 in general, & direct-impingement in particular are the most blessed things since manna from heaven.  gawddamnit!!!"[/Dave_A]

Not since the days of HFG/P-LW/etc, etc have I seen so much concerted effort to bash anything that isn't in line w/ one's own opinion.

I'm not of the opinion that everything the Army procures is top-tier - including what it keeps in the arms room.  The M16 benefits from the conservatism that is typical of the US military culture & politics.  Change comes slowly, & often with much resistance.  The best ideas aren't always accepted.  Even M16 historians should be able to appreciate this.

Considering the problems associated w/ heat build up in the M16 receiver under FA use, it's fair to say, the M16 probably won't outrun this thing.  And as for accuracy, according to some on this site who've actually been involved w/ it, the SCAR grouped 0.5" (L) & 0.7" (H) MOA.

Ok, I'm an M16 fan...

And I will tell you (from personal experience) that everything the Army procures is not neccicarily top-tier... Some of it is politically selected, other items are purchased based on 'conventional wisdom' that is often wrong. If we re-adopt the .45ACP (which was being pushed for)), for example, a step backward will have been taken in the name of 'conventional wisdom' (in this case, that the .45 has some mytic ability to push over targets on impact).... Some legends never die, and the people who believe them sometimes end up in positions to make procurement decisions...

The M16 has measurable advantages in design vs any of the piston-op systems. It is, simply put, dollar-for-dollar the most accurate semiauto action in existance.

Yes, the FN weapon has impressive groups. But remember, it's speced as a SF weapon, and it's approximate M16 equivalent would be the Crane SPR, or the new Army SDM rifle (free float, etc). We are not talking about a $600 rifle (aprox cost of a M16A2) here...

As for reliability, we'll see - from the looks of the action, it has a striking resemblance to a very UN-reliable FN weapon, the M249.

As for 'heat problems', we are not living in the world of beta-mag dumps - the M16 as-issued isn't even capable of FA fire in the strictest sense, and for all these years of combat use, they do not in fact just break from heat stress... Properly maintained (and removed from service when they begin to wear out) there is no issue here...

Remember: (A) practical reliability for a military weapon is the ability to fire 1,000-2,000 rounds without cleaning. A soldier carries a basic load of 210 rounds - plus whatever they can get and stuff in (ruck, pockets, etc)... Said troop is not going to be able to fire 3, 4, or 5,000 rounds without a chance to do weapons maintanance...

There's imply not enough improvement to justify replacement - and I will maintain that until someone develops something new (and anything gas-piston is not new, that action pre-dates the M16) that actually IS better than the M16...

Not crossing my fingers right now...
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:21:09 AM EDT
[#30]
thanks for posting the links.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#31]
height=8
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the FN weapon has impressive groups. But remember, it's speced as a SF weapon, and it's approximate M16 equivalent would be the Crane SPR, or the new Army SDM rifle (free float, etc). We are not talking about a $600 rifle (aprox cost of a M16A2) here...

I have read that the SCAR will cost the same as M4/M16 family.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Hmm...

same boat...dremel with wire brush attachment works wonders, or so i hear.....
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I just can't get past the bootstock, I mean the buttstock.  It looks like somebody's pegleg.

More like a bass-stock.  Looks like a giant fish tail.  Maybe the SEALS wanted to use it as a flipper too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#34]
I hope it comes to the civ market if just to have the option for a modern .308 EBR besides an AR-10.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#35]
FN Annual Training

Posted by CMMG. "Shooter's" view using the SCAR L & H. See the thread here.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#36]
I want a L & H. Nice finds.
Link Posted: 11/5/2006 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I hope it comes to the civ market if just to have the option for a modern .308 EBR besides an AR-10.

+1
Link Posted: 11/8/2006 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 11/8/2006 12:24:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I can not wait until they come out with civillian sales.

+1

its very high on my to buy list if not on the top
Link Posted: 11/9/2006 11:55:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hmm...

same boat...dremel with wire brush attachment works wonders, or so i hear.....

Would be nice to have some of those...

Of course, the Army will provide such equipment about the time I get all of my repair parts, and a parts-washer tank, and 10 million dollars...

So I have nails, chamber brushes, T-handles, 550 cord and CLP...

Oh shit - check that - no CLP.. We're probably out by now....

In the mean time, the 249 pistons get de-carbonized with whatever sharp object is available to the soldier cleaning 'em...
Link Posted: 11/10/2006 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The SCAR *MAY* cost the same as a fully-loaded M4A1 MWS...

It's *not* going to be a $600 weapon, for the features involved. If FN can make the SCAR for that cheap, the Army is getting hosed on the M16 contract (also held by FN)...

I doubt FN would undercut *themselves* to sell a rifle - economic rules say you don't sell a new product for less than the old one, especially when the new product costs more to produce...
Link Posted: 11/10/2006 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a question regarding the folding rear sight of the F.N. SCAR Light. Is it adjustable from 100 meter to 800 meter in 100 meter increments
Link Posted: 11/11/2006 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#43]
yes its fugly I really want a scar heavy!
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 5:28:47 AM EDT
[#44]
The Scar H fits with a rifle concept I have had in my head for a long time.

Only thing NOT made by HK that I care about.
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The Scar H fits with a rifle concept I have had in my head for a long time.

Only thing NOT made by HK that I care about.
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The SCAR *MAY* cost the same as a fully-loaded M4A1 MWS...

It's *not* going to be a $600 weapon, for the features involved. If FN can make the SCAR for that cheap, the Army is getting hosed on the M16 contract (also held by FN)...

I doubt FN would undercut *themselves* to sell a rifle - economic rules say you don't sell a new product for less than the old one, especially when the new product costs more to produce...

You have got it backwards, FN is getting hosed on the M16s.

The MK17/16 is very easy to manufacture copaired to the M16

The Mk16 and Mk17 have 80% part commonality, the receivers are cut from the same extrusion, the fact that it doesn't use any big forged parts or billet parts and uses more plastic makes it alot easier to make.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top