Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/28/2006 4:09:02 PM EDT
 The more I read about the SCAR, especially the SCAR H the more excited I get about the civvie version.

It's the first new .308 in a long time.  

I am thinking 2008, probably mid-2008.

Anyone have any insights as to what is required to make a civvie legal version aside from US compliance parts?

Obviously removing any select fire capability, anything else?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
 The more I read about the SCAR, especially the SCAR H the more excited I get about the civvie version.

Anyone have any insights as to what is required to make a civvie legal version aside from US compliance parts?

16" barrels

I'd love to own one, but sadly too long to wait for me to care right now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't wait.

The .308 version should be incredibly kick-ass, but I'm going to buy both versions just because.

I just hope they make them in black instead of poop brown.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure they'll make them in black.  Us normal folks don't need to worry about NVG.

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I have very little spending money and Im debating on whether or not to build my first AR and hope I have enough for a SCAR-H or just save that money for a SCAR-H
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have very little spending money and Im debating on whether or not to build my first AR and hope I have enough for a SCAR-H or just save that money for a SCAR-H

Build the AR, no questions

the Scar will do absolutely nothing that the AR hasn't done already. It's just a nifty new toy for us to play with.

Do not save up for it, heed my warning. You'll be saving for a long time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I want one of each. SCAR-L first and then the SCAR H.

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah the only problem is that by the time it comes out all the good cheap .308 will be looonng gone.
I don't even own a .308 and even I bought some...how crazy is that?

Frankly I'm glad it's going to be a while since I've blown my gun budget and need to save up a bit for it.

Man I would DEFINITELY build up an AR in the meantime, you can do that pretty cheap and on your own schedule. Take your time and look around for parts and you could probably do it for $500 depending on exactly what config you're working on.
I've learned my lessons about waiting for the next wunder-gun to show up, you gotta have something to shoot in the meantime!
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Psyched? Not really. Just doesn't do anything for me that current rifles won't and much cheaper, more likely.

S.O.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

16" barrels

are import rifles allowed to have flash suppressors?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

16" barrels

It's built here in the states, AFAIK.  Thing needs a heavier bbl., but that's about it.

...waiting for Davie_A to chime in w/ one of his signature "pistons suck" contribution.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

16" barrels

They won't be imported as far as I know.

I believe the majority, if not all, will be made in FNH USA.

ETA: NINJA'D
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I hope we get an offical announcement at the Shot Show. Waiting on both the L and the H.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm only interested in the .308 version b/c I'm not happy with any of the currenty available .308 battle rifles.

But then isn't the Sig supposedly coming in .308 as well?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#14]
 The Sig in .308 is interesting as well.  

I am going to start reloading so that I can afford to shoot a .308.

Soon as it's announced, I am going to get on a waiting list for a 16 in. SCAR H.

I have always wanted a folding stocked .308 with a 16in. barrel.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm excited about the possibilities of the SCAR, but let us not forget, this is barely out of prototype and it's a long way from being a developed weapon.  I'll stick with my AR or FAL for awhile thank you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I am very psyched......especially in anticipation of the SCAR series accepting an S&H fnc autosear!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I want a SCAR-H so badly.

Sadly I will probably just settle for a FAL.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I want one very badly.  If SOCOM chooses it over an AR, why shouldn't I?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#19]
It will be a toss up between the SCAR or a Semi M249 if they make it. I`d probably go with the M249 just cause I`ve always liked them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#20]
You`ll like this!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:37:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Yep I sure do
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I hope we get an offical announcement at the Shot Show. Waiting on both the L and the H.

Here's hoping SHOT will give us a much better picture of what/when to expect the civvie SCARs and other FN goodies.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I hope they make the 40MM GL available for those of us in states that allow destructive devices. If not then it`ll have to play nice with with an LMT M203.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You`ll like this!!!
i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/killswitch82/sofcar0089.jpg
\

Too sexy....must buy now.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep, very interested.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#26]
will take pics next week for you guys at shot
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#27]
the more pics the better
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes, me likey pics!!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 5:06:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm just hoping they import a civvie version JUST like the military version.  Not with a different body style like Barret did for the tavor's they almost imported.

Noting FN's pedigree with the PS90 and FS2000, I actually have faith.

The SCAR H seems like a natural evolution of the .308 battle rifle and the supremely good FAL.

I'd personally like one with a 16in. barrel and a conversion kit to fire 7.62x39mm as well.  My other rifle is an AK and ammo commonality might be nice.

Survivorman, the more pics the better please!

Hope you manage to have fun in the midst of all those weapons....
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks like I`ll be getting a SCAR. I was going to get a semi M248 if they came out, but the full autos cost nearly $7K, so a civvie version will be alot. I was willing to pay $5000 for it but not $8 grand, so SCAR for me...either SCAR-H or SCAR-L in 6.8 SPC....Man SCAR-L 6.8 SPC with the 40 Mike Mike under the barrel.... I think I creamed my pants!
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I'm just hoping they import a civvie version JUST like the military version...

D'oh!

Repeat after me: "Made in the USA."
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

D'oh!

There, I repeated after you...
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

D'oh!

There, I repeated after you...

Now you're talking!
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Man I was excited about this when first heard rumors about it, but now it seems so real. I really hope this is going to happen. It would be sweet if they can make the 40MM GL for civvies. If they do I`d have to go with the SCAR-L in 6.8 SPC with the GL, but if not I`ll probably get the SCAR-H.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Man I was excited about this when first heard rumors about it, but now it seems so real. I really hope this is going to happen. It would be sweet if they can make the 40MM GL for civvies. If they do I`d have to go with the SCAR-L in 6.8 SPB with the GL, but if not I`ll probably get the SCAR-H.

Ever heard of cold water?
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Do not save up for it, heed my warning. You'll be saving for a long time.

I hate being a Killjoy, but I kinda concur with Hemi-Cuda. I doubt they will announce for 08 release. (Except Military and LE release)

I think they are gonna wait and see what happens during the Presidential election in 08!  Before they commit to making a civie version!

Just my .02 cents.

Link Posted: 1/5/2007 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Man I was excited about this when first heard rumors about it, but now it seems so real. I really hope this is going to happen. It would be sweet if they can make the 40MM GL for civvies. If they do I`d have to go with the SCAR-L in 6.8 SPB with the GL, but if not I`ll probably get the SCAR-H.

Um...I don`t get it...
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#38]
killswitch 40mm grenade launchers for civilians?
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Yep.  Can't you buy new M203 launchers after the proper paperwork?

It's classified as a DD (Destructive Device) and is regulated like a SBR or SBS.

The explosive rounds are also individually serial numbered and the ATF requires proof of their detonation.

No reason at all not to offer the EGLM for law abiding 40mm enthusiasts.

I'd be a lying bastard if I said that a 40mm launcher didn't appeal to me too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#40]
wow...sweet....thought maybe just for smoke but damn a GL would be nice lol..
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes you can own a 40 mike mike. At leaset you can in Utah You can own a tank with an active gun on it, you can own a bozooka, rocket launcher, recoiless rifles, anything in Utah! Just have to be willing to jump through the hoops.
Link Posted: 1/5/2007 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#42]
height=8
Quoted:
Yep.  Can't you buy new M203 launchers after the proper paperwork?

Yes you can.

www.impactguns.com/store/dd.html
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um...I don`t get it...

I'm just being fascitious.

I doubt FN will sell even an emasculated version, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#44]
I am so f*cking sick of people on this site saying that something won't be f*cking released.

(screams of incoherent rage)

Seriously people, are any of you having relations with the daughters of higher ups at Colt or Bushmaster?

Sometimes, NEW THINGS COME OUT.

Remember when that black rifle came and everyone said it was made by Mattel and would never catch on?

It took over a decade but we finally have a Sig 55x here in the states for less than 8 grand.

Okay, frustration over.  Just had to vent a little, no personal attacks.

Link Posted: 1/7/2007 12:31:29 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I am so f*cking sick of people on this site saying that something won't be f*cking released.

(screams of incoherent rage)

Seriously people, are any of you having relations with the daughters of higher ups at Colt or Bushmaster?

Sometimes, NEW THINGS COME OUT.

Remember when that black rifle came and everyone said it was made by Mattel and would never catch on?

It took over a decade but we finally have a Sig 55x here in the states for less than 8 grand.

Okay, frustration over.  Just had to vent a little, no personal attacks.

I can appreciate your frustration.  It's my reflexive pessimism.  As I see it, considering how generous FN has been to the consumer market, I tend to think the door will have to eventually shut on something, at some point.  I believe the FN EGLM uses an electronic targeting module, which looks to be visible in the posted photo.  Could it work w/o the targeting module?  Perhaps, but then FN might see that setup as a liability of some sort (This is America, after all) & opt to keep it a restricted, military-only item.  Still, it'd be cooler than sub-zero if they did sell it.  I can't imagine what it might cost, considering a LMT M203 goes for ~$1500.00 US.
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#46]
"reflexive pessimism"

Can't fault a guy for that.  I too expect the end of everything every day.  That's why my house is a big pile of loaded guns.

I can't imagine FN not releasing the SCAR.  There are more civvies excited about the SCAR than operators.  The EGLM might not materialize.  Sorry to say.  It's my most profound hope that they do release it though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Actually if you look on the pic I posted you will see the GL sight sticking up at about a 30 degree angle. It is an iron sight like most GL sights. The elactronic EGLM isght is on the F2000. Even so, you could always use a standard GL sight that mounts to the pic 1913 rails.
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#48]
I emailed someone at FN a long time ago asking about the launcher and they said no because it was a DD. I replied trying to explain that it wasn't illegal for civilians in all states but I never got a response.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 12:17:37 AM EDT
[#49]
If a Class 3 dealer can get ahold of it it can be transfered to civilians. The question is will FN sell them to Class3 dealers or will they be like HK with the AG36 and only drop ship them directly to police departments? FN doesn't seem to have a problem with selling the fun toys to Class3 dealers. Class3's have m249's, m240's, and all the less lethal stuff. My guess is it will only be a matter of time before we see them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2007 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Very interested in SCAR-H.

I am currently unhappy with the available selection of rifles chambered in the .308 caliber and would like to see how the SCAR-H does.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top